Risks and Worries

The Color of Blood

Can you spare a minute?“

 

Kyuhyun raised his head in surprise and looked at the door.

It was already at dead of night and he was about to get ready for bed, when the silent question cut through the silence of his room. He hadn't noticed that his door was opened and now he saw Siwon standing in the door frame, as well as Kyuhyun already dressed in his pyjamas.

 

Sure, come in“, Kyuhyun mumbled silently and put on the oversized shirt he used to wear at night.

Sungmin had left his room only ten minutes ago and Kyuhyun was relieved, that Siwon didn't come around earlier. He folded up his clothes and placed them on the sideboard.

 

Kyuhyun had a general idea what Siwon wanted from him.

His twin had been quite strange after today's meeting. He was unusually silent and took their father aside right after Mr. Cho ended the meeting officially.

Kyuhyun wasn't able to understand their words, but Siwon seemed both desperate and a little angered. He underlined his worth with sweeping gestures and threw some glances at Kyuhyun while he was talking. Finally, Mr. Cho nodded slightly and looked briefly at Kyuhyun, before he left the room without another comment.

 

Kyuhyun went into the bordering bathroom and left the door open. „So, what's wrong?“, he called out and grabbed his toothbrush. A quiet jar appeared, when Siwon sat down on Kyuhyun's bed. He kept silent for some seconds before he sighted hearable.

So, you're going to work for our father finally.“

 

Kyuhyun couldn't identify if it was a question or a comment.

It looks that way.“

The tall man put the toothbrush into his mouth and stepped back into his bedroom. He started to brush his teeth while looking at Siwon. „Why're you asking?“, he mumbled a little incomprehensible and leaned against the door frame.

 

Siwon smirked slightly and looked at his brother.

I was just a little surprised... I thought you keep refusing it“, he admitted honestly and leaned against Kyuhyun's pillows. His brother simply shrugged his shoulders.

I actually... wanted to talk to you about your appointment“, Siwon continued and sat up on the bed again, obviously being a little restless. „I asked father to take part in it, too.“

 

Kyuhyun went back into the bathroom and spit the toothpaste into the basin. „Why?“, he asked loud enough, so that Siwon could understand him, and rinsed his mouth with a little water.

The question was relatively unnecessary, since he had already reckoned with something like that – the conversation between Siwon and their father couldn't be about anything else than him or his appointment.

 

Kyuhyun entered the room again and joined Siwon on his bed.

I thought you might... need some support on your first task.“, Siwon mumbled and shrugged his shoulders.

Kyuhyun couldn't help but to laugh. Siwon's voice and his behavior – lowering his glance, nervously playing with his fingers – was the best proof for his lie.

 

I really appreciate your worries, Siwon, but could you please stop lying to me? I'm your twin, remember?“, Kyuhyun asked laughing and punched playfully his brother's shoulder. A silent laughter pearled from Siwon's lips when he looked at Kyuhyun. „Sorry, I know I'm a bad liar...“, he mumbled and winked.

 

Taking another deep breath, Siwon decided to tell Kyuhyun at least as much of the truth as possible.

I want to participate in the task, too...“, he mumbled silently and eyed his brother, who raised his left eyebrow under his fringe. „I feel... responsible for Park's son, you know? When father's employees bashed Mr. Park and I had to hold his son down, he was – he was so … weak, you know?“

Siwon knitted his eyebrows, his face was filled with despair and concern.

I don't know why but now I feel like – I feel like …“

Helplessly, Siwon threw his hands in the air and sighted again.


Kyuhyun smiled a little. He had never seen his twin in such a condition.

Actually, Siwon was a really controlled and calm person, but right now he seemed shiftless and full of worries. To be honest, Kyuhyun was relieved by Siwon's behaviour right now: It showed him, that his brother had obviously not lost his great heart, as Kyuhyun had feared secretly.

 

Kyuhyun placed his hand on Siwon's shoulder and squeezed it slightly. „I think it would be quite calming, if my twin is around on my first task“, he simply mumbled and winked, when Siwon looked at him again. A smile appeared on Siwon's full lips and he placed his own hand on Kyuhyun's

Thank you...“

 

* * * * *

 

The night of Kyuhyun's first task and so the night of Mr. Park's next appointment with Mr. Cho came faster than expected.

On said day, Siwon was working at the café and he noticed a huge difference in Jungsoo's behaviour.

The young man was nervous and obviously concerned and his continuous smile was replaced by a straight worry line on his forehead. Two or three times, Siwon – who sat in the back office to do the paperwork – heard the clangour of glasses behind the closed door.

 

Siwon looked through the café's documents and sighted deeply.

If Mr. Park pays his instalment today, they will have problems to pay their bills in the next month... and next month, they'll have to pay the next instalment – it was a perfect vicious circle.

 

The tall man leaned back on the office chair and run his hands over his slim face.

He was glad that Kyuhyun didn't ask any further questions when they talked about the appointment some nights ago. Siwon knew that he couldn't tell Kyuhyun about his dual life – the life as a Cho and the life as a perfectly normal and untrue student who jobs in the Park Café.

Noone might ever detect it, since the consequences would be fatal for both Siwon and the Park family... But how could he help them...?

 

A sudden noise behind the door caught Siwon's attention and made him frown. He stood up and stretched his tensed up muscles, before he headed to the door and opened it.

In front of him and all over the floor behind the bar, Siwon saw spreaded shards of glass and splashes of coffee. Jungsoo kneeled in the middle of this mess and tried to clean the floor with an already soaking wet towel.

 

Hey, you're supposed to bring the coffee to your costumers, not to slop it on the floor...“, Siwon mumbled with a wry smile and squat down next to Jungsoo.

Thanks for the advice!“, the elder man spit out angered and continued to sweep the shards up. When a large piece of glass cut right into his palm, Jungsoo sweared and threw the towel onto the floor. „!“

Blood dropped onto the floor and increased the mess even more.

 

Immediately, Siwon grabbed Jungsoo's bleeding hand and hold it up. „Stand up, we'll need to wash this“, he mumbled with a calm and low voice and set Jungsoo on his feet again.

I'm right back to fix this“, Siwon called out to Yesung, who managed to serve the costumers, before he led the defenseless Jungsoo into the office.


The taller man pulled Jungsoo into the bordering bathroom and held his bleeding hand under the cold jet of water. Jungsoo winced and grimaced his face a little.

Sorry...“, he mumbled after some seconds and took a deep breath, running his uninjured hand through his short hair. „I'm a little off my head today...“

 

Siwon eyed him briefly and gave him a soft smile.

Don't worry“, he mumbled silently and let go of Jungsoo's wrist. He rummaged around in the cupboard under the basin, trying to find some bandage or at least a band-aid for Jungsoo's hand. When he finally found a clean white bandage, he lifted himself up again and carefully dried Jungsoo's hand with a towel.

Do you want to talk about it?“, Siwon asked silently, but kept his eyes on Jungsoo's hand.

 

It's a quite long story...“, Jungsoo answered evasively and winced again, when Siwon accidently touched the cut.

Sorry.“

 

Both men kept silent for some minutes, while Siwon carefully bandaged up Jungsoo's hand.

We have some... trouble with our... business partner...“, Jungsoo finally mumbled, as he palmed his hand and tried to move his fingers. He avoided Siwon's glance and with his fingers over the all white bandage.

Siwon didn't answer and waited for Jungsoo to continue on his own.

We need to pay our... instalments, but we don't have the money currently, so it's quite difficult to find a proper solution, you know?“

A weak and artificial smile appeared on Jungsoo's pretty lips.

But I think we'll wangle it... Somehow...“

 

The despondent tone in Jungsoo's voice made Siwon's heart ache.

 

 

* * * * *

 

At the same day's night, Siwon had the feeling of déjà vu.

It was exactly the same situation like three weeks ago:
The dark street, his father standing on the middle of it, waiting for his borrower to come.

Next to him a young man – this time not Siwon but Kyuhyun – who had his first appointment and whose nervousness was obvious and heated up the whole surroundings.

 

Siwon stood a little behind them, right next to their car.

He was quite okay with his position, since this distance reduced the risk that Jungsoo might recognize him. When he changed his clothes for the task, Siwon put on the same dark sunglasses as last time, so that a large part of his face was covered.

 

Mr. Cho was in best temper.

He whistled silently and stepped back and forth, while he waited for Mr. Park and his son.

You don't have to be nervous, Kyuhyun“, Mr. Cho suddenly interrupted the current silent and smirked. „If anything went wrong, you do not have to do the... dirty work, don't worry.“

The laugh that came out of his throat was malicious and aweful, as if he was hoping to have some trouble today. Siwon clenched his fists in the pockets of his coat.

 

Kyuhyun didn't reply.

He looked down the street and it was hard for him to not savage his father. The hate he felt for this man was boundless and he still didn't want to do this task. But Sungmin...

 

They're coming“, Kyuhyun finally mumbled when he saw two men walk up the dark street.

The left one might be Park Jungsoo, since he looked quite young, and the right one was his father.

The elder man walked a little crooked and limped a little – probably because of their last meeting with Mr. Cho.

 

Ah, Mr. Park!“, their father exclaimed in the same pseudo-friendly tone as last time and the false smile on his face made Kyuhyun nearly choke.

He stiffened a little and looked at the young man and his father. Both seemed to be very concerned and nervous, since their faces were serious and denying. Jungsoo carried a black suitcase in his right hand.

 

Mr. Cho.“, Mr. Park greeted short and unfriendly and stopped some steps in front of the tall man.

I see, this time you have my money“, Mr. Cho continued in his best small-talk-tone and put his hands into his coat's pockets. He laughed and looked at Mr. Park.

You obviously learned from your mistakes.“

 

Mr. Park's clenched his teeth, before he looked briefly at Jungsoo.

Give him the money, I have better things to do than standing here“, Mr. Park muttered angered, whereupon Jungsoo stepped forward and gave the black suitcase to Mr. Cho.

Thank you, Jungsoo“, he said smug and handed the suitcase on to Kyuhyun.

Count the money and tell me, if it's too little“, he commanded smirking and looked at Mr. Park again. „But hopefully it is enough, right, Mr. Park?“

 

Siwon tried to breath as deep and constantly as possible.

He kept his eyes on Jungsoo and his heart ache, when he saw Jungsoo's serious face. In the last weeks, he learned to love Jungsoo's open and friendly nature more and more and he hated to see him in this condition now.

Siwon frowned a little, when Jungsoo's eyes widened, as Mr. Cho gave Kyuhyun the instruction to count the money.

Jungsoo's hands clenched in the fabric of his jacket and Siwon stifferend.

'Did he – '

 

Before Siwon could finish his thought, Kyuhyun took the suitcase and opened it.

7.500 Dollar. That's what his father told him before.

Kyuhyun briefly counted the bunches of money. If every bunch contained 100 50$-banknotes as agreed, it would be enough.

Tentatively, Kyuhyun took out a bunch of banknotes and counted the notes.

 

25...

50...

75...

90...

He frowned. He counted again.

Only 90 banknotes.

'It's too little...'

 

Kyuhyun raised his glance and looked directly into Jungsoo's desperate and fearfull eyes.

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

 

I'm finally done with my exams and so here it is the new chapter!
I hope you like it, it's a little long, but... I didn't want to shorten it ;)