Competitive Pair

I Can Only Love You

“Listen up everyone!” Kaze Sensei called. Everyone quieted down a little. “Students, please stand by your hosts while Shinta Sensei passes out a packet to every pair.”

  Alice inched herself towards Yamaa, not really happy about the arrangements. Yamaa on the other hand walked right up to her and put his arm around her shoulders. She instantly stiffened. After a few seconds she tried shaking him off, but he wouldn’t budge. Eventually she game up and sighed.

  “Hello Alice,” Shinta sensei handed her the packet. Yamaa bowed his head, but watched as the young sensei smiled fondly at Alice. “Are you doing well? You must be quite happy, being able to stay at Yamaa’s place.”

  “It was quite a surprise,” she relaxed under Yamaa’s arm. “But I’m alright.”

  “Good,” he bowed. “Don’t forget to come to me if you need anything.”

  “Thank you Tomoya-kun,” Alice gasped. “I mean, Tomoya- senpai. Shinta Sensei. Gome.”

  “It’s okay Alice,” Shinta smiled. “You can call me Tomoya-kun when it’s just us two.”

  “Okay,” Alice smiled and watched him walk away. Yamaa felt a little dark inside.

  “Alice!” Sharon walked up with a girl in tow. “This is my host sister, Minoke-chan.”

  “Hajimemae,” the small girl bowed. She saw Yamaa and went ‘kya!’ “Sorry, I knew you might be doing the program, but, oh my gosh!”

  “Nice to meet you too,” both Yamaa and Alice laughed. They looked at each other and laughed again.

   “Hey, Alice,” Sharon pulled her aside while Minoke asked for an autograph. “I saw you and Shinta sensei talking. I think he still has the hots for you.

  “Shinta sensei?” Alice laughed. “We’re just really good friends. We’re not like that at all.

  “But he was going to be your first boyfriend,” Sharon argued.

  “So?” Alice pulled away. “That’s in the past.

  “For you maybe,” Sharon gave up. “But maybe not for him.”

  “Alice, come here,” Yamaa called. “Kaze sensei is about to explain the rest.”

  “Alice,” Sharon sighed. “I guess you really have moved unto better.”

  “Sharon, there’s nothing between Yamaa and me,” Alice turned and listened to instructions.

 

  “We have to win this,” Yama gasped for breath.

  “Yes, or you’ll have to pay me if we lose,” Alice was also breathing hard.

  The activity of the day was a scavenger hunt/challenges/race. The challenges were all around the university, but they had to figure what each clue they were given after the completed challenge meant to go unto the next location with the next challenge. Some locations were bunched together while some were spread apart. No one knew what the prize was for first, but it didn’t stop Yamaa and Alice from wanting to take first place.

  “Hey!” Shinta sensei greeted them at one of the challenges. “You two should drink some water.”

  “No… time…” Alice breathed.

  “Must… win…” Yamaa finished.

  “Okay, okay,” Shinta sensei laughed and picked up two sheets of paper. “Last challenge.”

  “Really?” the pair raised their heads.

  “There’s two pairs  already on their way to the finish line,” Shinta sensei laughed at their expressions. “Now now, it’s harder than you think. You must answer these questions about your partner. Remember the survey sheets you filled out before starting the race? I will use those to check o see if you got the question right. The more answers you get wrong, the more I’ll have to tie you up together, making it harder to reach the finish line.”

  “Are you serious!” Alice grinned. “Is it individually that you count each wrong answer of double?”

  “If Yamaa-san gets three wrong for example, and you get two wrong, that’s a total of five times you get tied together.” Shinta sensei shrugged. “I hope you two know each other well.”

  Yamaa and Alice glanced at each other and gulped. They took the surveys and began. Alice was writing constantly, while Yamaa was seen hesitate once in a while. Alice of course finished first. Shinta sensei was almost done checking hers when Yamaa handed his in.

  “So you think you know me?” Yamaa asked Alice as they waited.

  “Decently,” Alice blushed. “You?”

  “I don’t know,” Yamaa murmured.

  “Okay,” Shinta sensei shrugged. “Results are in.”

(A/N: Most things are true to Yamapi, but some are obviously not. Keep that in mind.)

  “First, we have to go through answers,” the two began to protest. “I have to do it this way, sorry. Name: Aoki Tomohisa, correct. Age: 22, correct. DOB: April 9, 1987, correct. Blood type: A, correct. Languages: Japanese, English, wrong. Talk to him later for correct answer. Wants to learn: Business management, correct. Favorite song: Mola, wrong. Again, ask later. Favorite color: Blue, wrong. Dislikes…. MOW, correct. Siblings: Yes, one sister named Rina. Two wrong out of 10. Sibling question worth two points.”

  “Wow,” Yamaa looked at Alice perplexed. She blushed.

  “Yamaa, your turn,” Yamaa winced. “Name: Alice Sarah Peterson, correct. Age: 19, correct. DOB: 1990, wrong. Please ask later. Blood type: O, correct. Guessing it was a guess. Languages: Spanish, English, Japanese, French, correct. Wants to learn: Korean, wrong. Ask. Favorite song: Himawari, correct. Favorite color(s): red, black, and gold, correct. Dislikes: Yamaa Tomohisa, correct. Just kidding, wrong. Siblings: Yes, one younger named Adriel, correct. That’s three out of 10. Total is five.”

  “Not bad Yamaa,” Alice covered . “Tomohisa-kun.”

  “Thanks,” Yamaa stood up.

  “Time to tie you up,” Shinta sensei grabbed some rope.

  Soon Alice’s left ankle, knee, wrist, elbow and waist were tied to Yamaa’s right side. Yamaa was taller than Alice, so it made things a little more complicated, but Alice wasn’t worried about that. They hadn’t even started running yet and her heart was pounding in her chest. No, I can’t, Alice put her free hand over her chest. Yamaa noticed and looked at her in concern, but didn’t say anything.

  “So far no one has made it to the finish line, or else I would have gotten something from the walkie-talkie. Ganbatte!”

  “You do right leg same time I do left,” Yamaa put up his left hand. “San sen no!”

  And they were off. Kinda. They stumbled a little, but they pushed on. The finish line, everyone knew was back at the gym… the opposite side of campus from where they were. But the two quickly synchronized, making a rhythm for them to move with less difficulty. Soon, they quickened their pace. They passed on of the pairs, who, like them, were tied the same, except their arms were tied to each other… and their ankles! The pair looked exhausted, and they had just barely made it half way!

  They saw the finish line, and the other pair. They were tied the same, but only and extra ankle was tied. Yamaa and Alice picked up the pace even more.

  “We… have…” Alice breathed heavily.

  “We’ll win,” Yamaa nearly tripped. “Run!”

  They sprinted, or at least, attempted to sprint. But they both fell, hard. The other team won. Get up! both thought and quickly got up, finishing second. They had both told the each other the correct answers of the questions they got wrong when they started. Something told them they’d need to know.

  “Welcome back,” Kaze sensei approached them an handed them water bottles.

  “We… lost…” Alice said in shallow breaths.

  “You might still win,” Sensei smiled. “What is Yamaa’s favorite color?”

  “Black,” Alice instantly answered.

  “Correct,” Kaze sensei smiled. “When is Alice’s birthday?”

  “January 1st, 1990,” Yamaa cocked his head, puzzled.

  “Good, now, what does Alice dislike?”

  “Color pink.”

  “What is Yamaa’s favorite song?”

  “Yubiwa.”

  “What does Alice want to learn?”

  “Korean and fine arts.”

  “Correct, correct,” Kaze sensei raised a hand. “We have a winner!”

  “Huh?” Alice and Yamaa looked up confused.

  “It wasn’t just getting here, but getting to know each other better. You two did that,” Kaze sensei smiled. “Now we’ll just wait for the rest of the teams to finish.”

  “Kaze sensei,” Alice was still confused. “How is it that we won exactly? Not that I don’t mind or anything.”

  “Alice,” Kaze sensei worked to untie the pair. “if you or your partner got any wrong from the questions, we hoped that you’d be able to figure out that you needed to know the answers. To complete the race and win, it was necessary to be able to answer all questions correctly.”

  “Is it really that important we know about each other that well?” Alice scooted away from Yamaa as soon as they were no longer tied to each other.

  “You’ll be living together for about a year and a half, so yes, it’s important to know about each other,” Kaze sensei began walking off. “Alice, are you not happy about whom you’re staying with? When I heard Yamaa wanted to host, I had to think long and hard about whom would be best suited t olive with him. He’s a celebrity, so of course he’d be very busy, and I needed someone who would understand his absence. When I heard you knew of him and the respect you had towards him, I felt you were the best choice. Was I wrong?”

  “Everything is fine,” Alice bowed. “Thank you for considering me.”

  “Good,” two more teams were arriving and Kaze sensei went to meet them.

  “You know my first, my real name,” Yamaa tugged her shirt.

  “Yeah, so?” Alice didn’t wait for an answer and walked off.

 

  The last team arrived about an hour later. Some of the challenges had been harder than others, and some required lots of team work. But the result in the end was priceless. Every student and their host were closer and more comfortable with each other. Even Yamaa and his unwilling partner.

  “Now, presenting the winners with their award!” Kaze sensei stood before everyone. “Alice and Yamaa, congratulations, two tickets for South Korean, round trip, for whenever between now to a year!”

  “Yata!” Alice ran to Kaze sensei, bowing and thanking multiple times. “Now I can visit my iimoto later on this year!”

  Yamaa received the tickets more calmly, but he was smiling a smile of victory. Everyone was cheering them on and laughing at how excited Alice was.

  Alice and Yamaa made brief eye contact, messaging each other. I won’t avoid you anymore, but I’ll keep some distance, Alice seemed to say. Good, so call me Yamaa, Alice nodded.

  “This is going to be the best year and half ever!” Alice jumped in the air, pumping up her fist, “Pyong!”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OMGsh! Finally updated here again! Yay!

I'm sorry it took so long. But well, the next chap. should be funny.

I hope.

Oh, and FYI, Adriel and Belle are coming! Woo!!

Remember, comment, subscribe and tell your friends!

I know, but it was just too cute and I had to put it up!

Dont forget about reading ShiroiParadise's AFF! It's really good!