Winter Wonderfest (5)

How Was School Todae?

 

Daesung was up all night tossing and turning, they had one day to practice and then he would have to perform before the whole school, in a cheerleader's costume no less. Tomorrow was going to be hard work, he needed to sleep. Daesung closed his eyes and pulled the covers over his head, sleep, please let him sleep. He could still feel Seunghyun's hand in his, it was as if he had placed his mark on him and from now on this would be Seunghyun's hand. Daesung had washed it a few times but the feeling didn't go away. He saw Seunghyun's surprised face flash before him, his beautiful eyes a little bit widened and a tiny wrinkle on his otherwise flawless forehead. Daesung's stomach gave him a jolt. How could Seunghyun have such influence on him, he couldn't wrap his head around it. Something deep down was calling the shots, not him. He tried to stop thinking long enough to fall asleep, but Seunghyun kept popping up in his head in various situations.

 

The intense rehearsal began right after school, the teacher had even let them out early so they could get started sooner. Over and over and over again they did the scenes, but every time the teacher stopped them the moment Daesung landed in Seunghyun's arms and told everyone to start from the top. Every time Daesung grew more frustrated, he knew he was being unreasonable, but he wanted more than mere seconds in Seunghyun's arms. When would he ever get another chance to spend time in Seunghyun's arms? This was most likely his only chance and he wanted to make the most of it. Apparently the teacher did not share his thoughts and felt it unnecessary to practice the fake kiss. Daesung wanted to object, but realized that would make him look silly at best. There was nothing he could do but wait for tomorrow and hope the teacher wouldn't cut the scene out entirely.

 

The next morning Daesung woke up with a stomach ache. He had slept like a baby after yesterday's grueling rehearsal, he was so tired when he finally got home that he went out like a light the moment his head hit the pillow. However, now that he had regained his energy, there was nothing stopping him from drowning in worries. Since it was Winter Wonderfest there were no classes today and the festivities would start at noon. First the principal would open the festival with a speech and then the different classes were going to perform or put up some sort of entertainment for the rest of the school. According to the latest schedule their play was at two o'clock. Two o'clock, it was so far away but yet so close. He wanted it to be over soon but still didn't want it to start. His stomach growled, did it want food or was it just complaining? Daesung wasn't sure if he would be able to hold anything down, but there was no way his mom would let him go to school without eating his breakfast. He sighed and stumbled out of bed.

 

The school was decorated from top to bottom in the school colors, blue and yellow. There were students everywhere preparing for their activities and you could feel the excitement in the air. Daesung wished he wasn't so shy, he wanted to be excited too but the fear squashed all other potential feelings and he entered the school trembling. It was ten minutes until the principal would officially open the Winter Wonderfest and Daesung joined the stream of students heading to the assembly hall. When inside he looked around to see if he saw Seunghyun anywhere but he only spotted a couple of girls from his class so he found an empty seat to the side and sat down. He was alone, he preferred it to having to make some awkward small chat with his classmates, he was too nervous for that. The students were still streaming in when the principal started his speech. If Daesung hadn't been so stressed out he would probably have fallen asleep it was so boring. When the principal was making his closing words Daesung's stomach grumbled extremely loudly, Daesung went completely red from embarrassment. He knew he shouldn't have eaten breakfast, he tried breathing slowly and deeply to calm the nerves. It was too little, too late, his stomach began to make threatening gestures. Luckily Daesung's seat was at the end of the row so it was easy to slip out, he hurried as fast as he could without running to the nearest bathroom to say goodbye to his breakfast. He splashed cold water on his face, it felt good and he felt a little better. It was hard enough to perform in front of his class, now the entire school was gathered in the assembly hall, bored out of their minds after the principals' unimaginably long speech. In Daesung's experience high school kids weren't the kindest of critics. He tried everything to calm himself down and returned to his seat. He had missed all the acts of the first year classes, it was almost time to go to the changing room to get ready. He looked at his watch, five minutes and he would head over there. Suddenly he felt someone lay his hand softly on his shoulder and squeeze it lightly. Daesung was about to turn his head to find out who it was when the person whispered in his ear “Look only at me... just me...”. Daesung froze. His insides felt like they were on fire. It was a voice he had come to know very well, he got another shoulder squeeze and when Daesung looked back he saw Seunghyun disappear into the crowd of students in the back. There was an empty seat a few seats away in the row behind Daesung's. Had Seunghyun been there the entire time? Oh no, had he heard his stomach growling? Daesung headed to the changing room a little humiliated and deep in thought. Look only at me, what did he mean exactly?