Audition

How Was School Todae?

 

 

And finally, the dreaded day of the audition arrived. Daesung was so nervous he couldn't get a single bite down of the extravagant 'good luck' breakfast his mother had made him. Thankfully she had already gone to work so he just moved the food around on the plate to make it look like he had eaten something.

It had been two months, and no word from Seunghyun. Not a peep. Daesung had stuck to his resolution to focus only on the audition and not try to hunt Seunghyun down. He didn't want to confront him until he had something concrete in his hands. After rocking the audition, he was going to march straight to Seunghyun and shove the confirmation letter for his full-ride scholarship in his face.

He didn't need a caretaker, he could take care of himself. He just wanted to be together. The only thing he wanted was a partner in crime to navigate this messy thing called life. He just hoped Seunghyun would stick to the plan of not getting married until the end of the semester. It would be a special kind of awful if he showed up and Seunghyun was already married, with a kid on the way. Daesung's stomach churned. No, he wasn't going to think like that, he was going to stay positive.

 

Standing in front of the judges, he was sweating bullets. He needed to throw up, but luckily he hadn't eaten anything. To try and calm his nerves, he fiddled with the small lobster that was still attached to his phone, silently asking Seunghyun to send him strength. He glanced over at the piano in the corner. Youngbae sent him an encouraging wink and positioned his fingers on the keys. If it wasn't for him and Jiyong, he would have never gotten this far. As a thank you, he had promised to give it his all.

“I don't know if I can do this,” he muttered under his breath.

This was the only way to get Seunghyun back. So even though Daesung was starting to see black spots, too dizzy to see the judges clearly, he grabbed the microphone determined. He took a long, deep breath. But no matter how hard he searched, he couldn't find his voice. It was gone.

Thinking it was all over, a familiar figure entered his scope of vision. His mouth fell open. Seunghyun. Seunghyun was standing right there! Not sure if it was really him or just a hallucination, Daesung focused on him and only him, and started singing his heart out.

 

As the last note danced around the room, Daesung closed his eyes and breathed lighter. He had done it. But when he opened them again, Seunghyun had vanished. Had he really only been an optical illusion, conjured up by his desperate mind to get him through the audition? Daesung refused to believe that. Even though he had yet to complete the audition, with the interview left, he rushed out of the room. Running down the hallway, he found him.

Seunghyun was staring straight at him, but Daesung had misplaced all his words. He had so much to say to him. He had rehearsed this moment a million times in his head, but now that he was standing in front of him, everything had gone blank. All he could feel was an overwhelming sense of loss and longing. Seunghyun was right there, but he might as well have been miles away. He wanted to throw himself into his arms, but his arms didn't belong to him anymore.

“Okay. Let's make them see.”

Seunghyun's deep, husky voice sounded determined and unapologetic, even though the answer was late and long overdue.

“But... but... you just... left...” Daesung said confused.

He had expected the worst. That Seunghyun had come to see him one last time before he left him forever.

“I just popped out to get you something to drink. I figured you'd be thirsty after such an incredible performance.”

Seunghyun's drop dead gorgeous face morphed into the sweetest smile, his eyes beaming at him.

“Oh...”

Daesung gave him a sheepish grin, realizing his reaction had been overly dramatic. They weren't filming a romantic comedy grand finale, this was real life.

“How did you know I was auditioning today?”

“Your mom came to see me and basically told me I was being an idiot,” Seunghyun said with a goofey grin, “She wasn't wrong. You've got guts kid, I'll give you that. You're way braver than I've ever been. But then again, I've always known that. You're amazing. And if you're still interested, this idiot is prepared to follow you to the ends of the Earth,” Seunghyun said as his determination faltered, the ends of his mouth quivering.

Biting his lower lip, he looked at Daesung with vulnerable and cautiously hopeful eyes.

“Hold that thought. I need to finish my audition.”

Daesung ran back into the classroom without giving Seunghyun an answer. He deserved to sweat for a bit. A tiny butterfly of hope fluttered around in Daesung's chest. The dream he had been working towards suddenly didn't seem so unreachable. Doing his best to charm the socks off the judges, he finished the interview. He gave them a great big bow and ran back out to find Seunghyun.

“Oh well, I did my best,” Daesung shrugged.

Even though there were people around, Seunghyun slid his hand in Daesung's. They stared into each other's eyes, beaming. Neither of them minded the stares they were getting. They had each other, nothing else mattered.

Daesung was dying to kiss him, but it would have to wait. He didn't dare do it in front of all those eyes. It was their reality that they could never be completely free and open, they would always have to walk on eggshells in public. But being together was enough.

Surprised, he felt Seunghyun's hand the back of his head as it drew him in. He gave him a soft peck on the lips, not giving any of the shocked faces around them a second look. Daesung's chest was bursting with pride. Seunghyun loved him enough to put his fears aside and look only at him.

Daesung swooned.

He couldn't take it any longer. He grabbed the sleeve of Seunghyun's coat and pulled him into the next empty classroom he could find.

Closing the door, he pushed the unsuspecting Seunghyun up against the blackboard and gave him a proper kiss. The moment their lips touched, a jolt of electricity shot through his body. He had been dreaming of doing this for two months, longing for Seunghyun's touch. It had kept him up every night, tossing and turning in his lonely bed.

Overcome by emotions, he buried his face in Seunghyun's neck.

“I've missed you,” he whispered into his neck, “You can't imagine how much.”

“I think I have a pretty good idea,” Seunghyun murmured, wrapping his arms around him.

They stayed like that for a good, long while, hugging each other in a silence louder than any words.

“Where did you get the money?” Daesung finally asked, reluctantly easing up on the death grip he had on him.

“My reserve fund.”

“Oh. I thought you had really gone through with it... the marriage deal...”

Daesung stared at the floor.

“Nope. I'm broke.”

Seunghyun chuckled, turning the pockets of his pants inside out, revealing nothing but lint. Funnily enough, it was the best news Daesung had ever heard.

“No worries, I'll take care of you,” he said and gave Seunghyun the widest smile.

“So we're doing this?”

Seunghyun's hopeful eyes stared at him.

“We're doing this,” Daesung agreed, determined.

Ecstatic, Seunghyun picked him up and carried him a few steps, bouncing up and down.

“Put me down,” he said, giggling.

Seunghyun did what he asked, but the moment Daesung's feet reunited with the ground, he gave him a passionate kiss filled with relief and happiness. The warmth of Seunghyun's lips spread through Daesung's body, causing every part of it to tingle.

“You think I could stay at yours tonight, I'm homeless.”

Seunghyun grinned sheepishly.

“No,” Daesung said and stuck his tongue out at him before running out of the classroom.

“What?! Just wait until I catch you,” he yelled after him.

It took Seunghyun all of two seconds to capture him and they both burst out laughing.

“Come on, let's go home.”

Daesung smiled and snuck his hand into Seunghyun's.

They walked down the corridor hand in hand.

Getting up on his toes, Daesung whispered into Seunghyun's ear.

“I love you.”

Seunghyun squeezed his hand and whispered back.

“I love you more.”