Carnival (1)

How Was School Todae?

 

Daesung sat frozen at his desk. When he finally came to, he realized a full half hour had passed. He couldn't wrap his mind around what had happened. 'A bunch of us are going to the carnival', a bunch? What bunch? He had never seen Seunghyun with his friends, he hadn't even considered the possibility of him having friends. He couldn't imagine what kind of people they were, but he was sure they were in another league than him. His stomach hurt, it was still weak after yesterday's performance. 'You should join us', what did that even mean? Why should he join them? Did Seunghyun want to be friends with him or had his friends maybe seen the performance and were curious about him. The more Daesung thought about it, the unlikelier he found it that Seunghyun had invited him on his own accord. The most probable explanation was that Daesung's newfound fame was the reason his friends pushed him into inviting him. It made sense, Seunghyun just casually mentioned it to him, like he was doing it just so he could say that he had done it, not like he really wanted him there. Daesung finished putting his stuff in his bag and dragged his feet joylessly out the door.

On the way home he contemplated whether he should go tomorrow or not. If Seunghyun didn't even want him there, what was the point? He would just be in the way and most definitely wouldn't fit in with his friends, of that he was sure. Then it hit him, it was a carnival which meant food and rides. Food and rides cost money. Daesung stopped in his tracks. He had almost no money saved, he had spent so much on the chocolate milk cartons that he had nearly nothing left. That was the final nail in the coffin, even if he wanted to he couldn't go. It was decided. Daesung's heart was heavy and he didn't really feel like going home. He kicked an innocent pebble that happened to be in his path, take that pebble!

 

Daesung was moody all day at school, he didn't feel like paying attention and he certainly didn't feel like talking to the endless amount of students that had started coming up to him to say hi and introduce themselves and tell him how cool they had found the performance. Okay, he couldn't lie, he did appreciate all the compliments. Each and every one of them touched his heart. It made him genuinely happy that he had been able to touch somebody else than his neighbor with his singing. It had felt good being on stage, that is to say once the fear and terror had subsided. It was almost sad that it was over, although he was also relieved, very relieved. He glanced in the direction of Seunghyun, he was looking out the window. What was he watching? The sky perhaps? He looked like he had something on his mind. Daesung was curious about what it could be, normally he wasn't bad at reading people but he found it impossible to fathom what on earth Seunghyun was thinking. He was like a closed book with a really interesting cover that practically screamed “Read me!”. Daesung wanted to, he just didn't know how.

 

The day passed slowly and as it neared the end, Daesung got more and more depressed. He wanted to go to the carnival, he couldn't deny it any longer. Even though Seunghyun wouldn't be happy to see him, Daesung was satisfied with getting an opportunity to be near him. It was also the perfect opportunity to see Seunghyun interact with his friends, Daesung had a hard time picturing how that would look like. But what was he going to do about the money? He suddenly remembered that a few months back he had decided to create an emergency fund in his sock drawer and stuffed some coins in the ugliest pair of socks he owned. He had forgotten about it and never added any additional money to it, but it must still be there. He couldn't remember how much it had been. He had to go check, maybe it was enough. In his excitement he sprang up, all his classmates looked at him with surprise. “He he..” Daesung slowly sat back down, scarlet red from top to toe. Luckily the teacher had been writing something on the blackboard and hadn't noticed. He heard some girls snicker, others were peeking at him and smirking. Seunghyun was still staring out of the window but he was grinning slightly, had he seen? Daesung sank in his seat, he wanted to disappear.

 

The bell rang and chaos ensued. Daesung packed his stuff in a flash and ran out and all the way home. He threw his bag on the bed and attacked the sock drawer at once. Socks flew everywhere. “Aha!” He found the balled up socks. They were mustard yellow with green and purple spots, Daesung cringed, he had always hated those socks. He d around with his hand and found the coins, it was a little less than he had hoped. He reached for his piggy bank and added the few coins that had accumulated in the short time since he emptied it last. Okay, it wasn't much but it was enough for one ticket and maybe a coke as well. He could go with them on the first ride and if they got a snack he could buy a coke and pretend he wasn't that hungry anyway. Then if they wanted to go on more rides or play some games he could fake an emergency and say he had to leave early. That was it! It was the perfect plan! Daesung was close to bursting with excitement, he checked his watch – it was half past five. It would take him at least 25 minutes to walk over there and he still had to take a shower and find something to wear. Panic!

After the shower he rushed to his closet and ransacked it for something to wear, making everything wet in the process, his hair still dripping. Nothing seemed good enough. It was different when going to school, everyone was wearing a school uniform so he didn't have to worry about his clothes. Sure, you could differentiate the rich from the filthy rich by the accessories and their overall grooming and demeanor, but still everyone wore the same clothes. He felt himself starting to feel ashamed of his poverty and it enraged him. Why did Seunghyun always make him doubt himself, it was not a good feeling. After testing a few combinations, he settled on a simple but tidy look. It would have to do. He looked at his watch, twenty to seven. “!!” he was going to be late! He grabbed his bag and ran out the door, shouting goodbye to his mom on the way.

 

He ran the whole way, arriving completely out of breath and soaked with sweat. He checked the time, he had managed to be only two minutes late. After catching his breath for a moment he entered the area and looked around for a familiar face. Where were they? He couldn't see them anywhere. Had Seunghyun played a trick on him, inviting him only to stand him up and laugh at how silly he had been thinking they actually wanted to hang out with him. Daesung's heart ached. Could Seunghyun really be that callous? Daesung was about to give up when he glimpsed a familiar silhouette out the corner of his eye. It was Seunghyun, he was leaning oh so coolly against a fence a little further up ahead. Daesung couldn't see anyone around him though, where were the others?