Carnival (3)

How Was School Todae?

 

Seunghyun stuck his tongue out slightly as he was about to throw the ring, concentrating hard on the pins. He had a determined look about him. A moment of silence, he looked like he was calculating the distance. He threw it. For a split second it looked like the ring was going in the direction of the pins, but then it changed direction and slammed into the end of one of the shelves. It bounced off the shelf and narrowly missed the back of the head of the booth keeper, hitting the side wall of the booth and falling to the ground. Daesung thought he was going to explode, the laughter threatened to burst out of him, but seeing Seunghyun's face of utter disappointment, he didn't dare let it out. Seunghyun had two rings left and was fuming, Daesung thought it would be scary to meet that guy in an alley late at night. A slight snicker got out, Daesung grabbed his mouth to contain it, hopefully Seunghyun hadn't noticed.

Seunghyun took the second ring and held it in his hand. For a moment he just stared at it. Then he looked up, his eyes shot sparks. Daesung almost felt sorry for the pins and reminded himself not to ever tick Seunghyun off, he was scary when he was mad. Seunghyun aimed, he was so focused Daesung thought he was going to stare the pins down. Then, without warning, he released the ring. He had thrown the ring with such force that it went straight into the back wall of the booth and ricocheted off it, hitting Seunghyun right between the eyes. Seunghyun yelled out in pain, putting his hand against his face. Daesung's eyes watered as he forcefully refrained from laughing, it was too funny. Seunghyun's surprised face as the ring hit him was too priceless, it was imprinted on Daesung's brain and made it near impossible not to laugh.

Seunghyun was quiet, still holding his face with his hand. Daesung started getting worried that he was badly hurt, getting a pang in his stomach. He abandoned all thoughts of laughter and a mountain of worries took their place. He took a step toward Seunghyun, put one hand lightly on his back and placed the other softly on top of the hand that was covering Seunghyun's face. He could feel Seunghyun tense up a little bit as he carefully pulled his hand from his face. Seunghyun's face was as perfect as it had always been. Daesung examined it carefully. He ran his fingers along his sharp eyebrows. He felt Seunghyun tremble slightly, oh no, had it hurt when he touched him? Was Seunghyun more hurt than he looked? If he looked very closely, he could see that the area between his eyes was slightly red. Worried, he leaned in to get a better look. He pressed tenderly with his finger on the red area to check if it was swelling up, but it didn't feel like it was. Seunghyun seemed to have stopped breathing, was he swallowing the pain, pretending not to be hurt? Daesung's eyes wandered from the injured area and found Seunghyun's, looking straight into them Daesung realized that their faces were mere inches apart. He too stopped breathing. For an instant they just stood there, looking into each other's eyes. The air was electrified.

Daesung returned to his senses, laughed shyly and stepped back, removing his finger from Seunghyun's face. Seunghyun remained frozen for a while. Daesung reached for the last ring, “Should I have a go?” he asked and smiled. Seunghyun finally came to his senses, his fierceness returning as he glanced at the ring. “No, me and this ring have unfinished business.” he said while grabbing the ring. This time he threw it nonchalantly in the direction of the pins, like he owned the world and the ring was merely his pawn, there to do his bidding. They followed it with their eyes as it flew through the air, landing on the outermost pin. Daesung jumped in the air with joy, “Yeah!!” he shouted, ecstatic, giving Seunghyun a pat on the shoulder. “What did we win? What did we win?” he asked the booth keeper. The booth keeper bent down under the counter, returning with something small, putting it in Daesung's hand. Both Daesung and Seunghyun stared at the thing sitting on Daesung's palm. It was a bottle opener in the shape of a crab. It was without a doubt the ugliest thing Daesung had ever seen. He erupted into laughter. He laughed so hard tears streamed down his face. He shook as he could hardly catch his breath. Seunghyun stared at him with surprise. Daesung contained his laughter just long enough to whisper “This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen!” and handed him the bottle opener, freeing his hand to hold his stomach as he collapsed to the ground, laughing. Seunghyun started to laugh as well. At first it was just a snicker, but Daesung's laughter was so contagious that soon he too broke down in fits of laughter, joining Daesung on the ground. After quite a while they had calmed down enough to get to their feet and run snickering away, the booth keeper and other bystanders staring at them.

 

“You hungry?” Seunghyun asked casually. Daesung nodded profusely, after all the laughing his stomach felt painfully empty. They headed for a snack cart, Daesung was almost skipping he was so happy. He hadn't had so much fun in a long time. When they were standing in front of the menu, weighing their options, Daesung glimpsed the prices. His blood stopped running. He had forgotten that he didn't have a whole lot of money with him. Well, he had the money that was supposed to be for the ticket, but everything was so expensive. He could either buy a hotdog or a coke, not both. He was extremely thirsty, but he had already told Seunghyun he was hungry, so he couldn't just buy a coke and pretend he didn't want anything to eat. Daesung panicked, he had no idea what to do. Should he fake an emergency and run away, that seemed like the only viable option. But they were having so much fun and finally becoming more at ease with each other, Daesung didn't want to ruin that. Should he just come clean, tell him that he couldn't afford a simple hotdog at a carnival. No, that was too embarrassing. Daesung wouldn't be able to look him in the face after that. A feeling of hopelessness washed over him. He decided to skip the drink, even though he was parched. He could keep his eyes open for a water fountain later, it was a long shot, but it would keep him going. A single hotdog it was.

They were up, “Should I just go ahead and order?” Seunghyun suggested. “Eh..” Daesung couldn't say a word, he had to refuse but how could he say no to those eyes? If Seunghyun ordered, it would be way too expensive and Daesung wouldn't be able to pay up, that would be mortifying. He was about to object when the server rushed them, “I don't have all day!”. Seunghyun turned to the server and ordered four hotdogs and two large cokes. Daesung froze, he was screwed. Now he was forced to come clean. How would Seunghyun react when he told him he didn't even have the money to pay him back? Of course he would pay him back, but it would take some time. His heart sank. Seunghyun received the food and brought it to a nearby table. Daesung followed, dragging his feet. Seunghyun put two of the hotdogs and a coke in front of him, “Consolation price for not being able to win that bear for you.” he said comically and gave him a quick wink. Daesung's jaw dropped, “No, I couldn't possibly..”, “Shh.. eat your food, it's getting cold.” Seunghyun smiled and dug into one of his hotdogs. Daesung took a bite from the hotdog, it was delicious. He was welling up with gratitude, but he didn't know how to thank him. Should he just say it straight out? Daesung was conflicted.

“Wanna hear a joke?” Seunghyun added cheerfully with his mouth full. The joke was so funny that Daesung accidentally sprayed coke all over Seunhyun, forgetting all about the torment he was feeling a moment ago. “Thanks” Seunghyun said laughing and stood up to get some tissue. Daesung giggled to himself. He didn't want this to ever end. As he watched Seunghyun walking towards the snack cart an idea popped in his head.

 

When Seunghyun came back Daesung had pulled out his phone and was dramatically pushing buttons randomly, with a fake worried expression. “Hmm.. eh... uh... my ehm... my phone doesn't seem to be working”, Daesung coughed a bit. “Could I maybe.. ehm... maybe borrow your phone to check if it's alright?”. Seunghyun smirked and fished his phone out of his pocket, handing it do Daesung. “Hum... let's see...” Daesung said theatrically. He keyed in his number and pressed 'call'. His phone rang immediately since there hadn't been anything wrong with it in the first place. “Oh... phew.. it's working. Thanks!” Daesung smiled awkwardly. Seunghyun let out a quiet chuckle as he put his phone back in his pocket. The plan had worked perfectly and Seunghyun was none the wiser, Daesung thought. Now he had his number.