Winter Wonderfest (3)

How Was School Todae?

 

Daesung stared back stunned. Did he imagine it? Did Seunghyun just wink at him? He looked around to see if the wink could have been intended for someone else. There was nobody in the immediate vicinity of him, but a little further to the right sat a girl. Whether it was meant for her or not, she didn't seem to have caught the wink in any case. Maybe it hadn't been a wink at all, maybe Seunghyun had a nervous tick in his eye. Yeah, he was being crazy, why on earth would Seunghyun wink at him. “Silly me” he thought and shook his head.

The next day Daesung found himself looking forward to the rehearsal that was right after school. He checked if Seunghyun looked excited too, but he was his usual sculpture-self, amazingly beautiful but always with the same detached expression. Daesung decided he would just be excited enough for the both of them. The day flew by and before he knew it they were all heading to the assembly hall. When he saw the stage again the image of Seunghyun winking at him came rushing back and his stomach got all tingly. What was with him these days? There was no time to give it another thought since Daesung had to get straight to work. He had to help everyone find the correct props and outfits, which was easier said then done. Chaos ensued. “Is that my boot?”, “Who took my gloves?”, “Okay, this is just weird, there is no way I'm wearing that!”. He found that he was actually quite good at this, he managed to solve all issues that came up and get everyone ready in time. He smiled satisfied with himself.

“Places everyone!” the teacher shouted. This was the first time they were going to run through the script with music. They were going to do a medley with the three most popular songs from Grease. Beside Seunghyun and Hyorin that played the lead couple, the rest of the students were split into two groups, the boys and the girls. The boys were up first. They walked synchronized on stage, stepping hard on the floor to create an effect. Well, they were supposed to be synchronized, “No! Kikwang! You're supposed to go the other way! Start again!”. Kikwang, a boy that had been selected to be the head of the boy group had turned in the wrong direction, crashing into the rest of the boys. The second time they got it right and when they were at the middle of the stage in V-formation they jumped up together creating a great bang when they all landed. Kikwang began “Why, this car is automatic”, the other boys replied “It's systematic”, “it's hydromatic.”, “Why, it's greased lighting!”. They started singing “Gooo” all in a choir, bathing out their hands in the direction where Seunghyun entered. Daesung got goose bumps, his eyes were glued to the stage. This was the first musical he had ever seen live, and even though it was just a bunch of students the atmosphere was thrilling. Then the most incredible thing happened, instead of singing his lines, Seunghyun had turned them into rap. “Go – Go grease lightning – Go – You're burning – burning – burning through the quarter mile.”. Daesung's jaw dropped to the floor, this was the coolest thing he had ever seen. Who knew Seunghyun was so talented, forget the school play, he was good enough to do this professionally Daesung thought. In fact, not letting people enjoy his rhythmic deep bass voice that vibrated through every bone in your body was a form of injustice! Better yet, Seunghyun seemed to be enjoying himself. He didn't smile or anything, that would have been featured on the 6 o'clock news: “Today hell froze over and Seunghyun smiled. Now, on to the weather...”. Daesung giggled lightly to himself as he imagined a TV screen with a picture of Seunghyun smiling. While he was thinking to himself they had moved on to the next song in the medley, where Seunghyun and Hyorin sang to each other. They matched pretty well, Hyorin was incredibly beautiful and feminine which went well with Seunghyun's cold masculinity. Daesung watched them dancing together and couldn't help feeling uncomfortable, he didn't know why exactly but he didn't like how Hyorin touched Seunghyun lightly on the shoulder and then smiled her prettiest smile for him. Daesung didn't like it at all. The worst was yet to come, in the final song while both the boys and the girls joined together in the singing, Seunghyun swept Hyorin off her feet so she landed in his arms flat on her back looking straight into his eyes. They were facing away from the stage and then suddenly Seunghyun bent over her, his back blocking Daesung's view. Daesung let out a tiny yelp. No! Did he kiss her?! Daesung's good mood disappeared in a flash, he felt like the whole world was coming crashing down. What was wrong with him? He was scaring himself, he was acting like a complete lunatic. So they kissed, what was the big deal? Daesung felt like crying, he wanted to go home, crawl under the covers and hideout there forever. Coming to this school was a mistake, he should have never met Seunghyun. All he did was give him anxiety and misery, nobody had ever had that effect on him before. There were people he didn't like, but that was different, they didn't get under his skin like that. He could just ignore them and go on with his life. In contrast it felt like Seunghyun was taking over his life, not a day went by that he didn't think about him. The rehearsal came to a close and Daesung went home defeated and sad.

 

For the next two weeks there were rehearsals every day after school. It turned out that Daesung's meltdown over the kiss was completely unwarranted, it had been a fake kiss. Seunghyun deliberately blocked the view so the audience would think they were kissing, but in fact they were only hugging. Daesung didn't like the hugging, but it was a hundred times better than kissing. Daesung was beginning to really like his job as props manager and took it very seriously. This way he could be part of the production but he didn't have to make a fool of himself in front of people and he could watch the rehearsals from the sidelines. That meant he could stare as much at Seunghyun as he wanted without it being weird. He was beginning to accept his fixation on Seunghyun, what else could he do? He was careful not to stare at him too much though, he didn't want to raise suspicions.

 

Two days before the festival everyone had gathered in the assembly hall for rehearsals as usual but the teacher was unusually late. She came running in with a panicked expression on her face “Hyorin has been in a skiing accident and has broken her leg!”. Everyone went quiet at once, Hyorin was the lead actress, the show couldn't go on without her. The teacher began asking the girls if they knew Hyorin's lines, they all shook their heads. She handed one of the girls the script and told her she had to learn the lines by tomorrow, it was the only way. But what would they do about today's practice, there were only two days until the festival and they needed all the practice they could get. Kikwang was still going the wrong way every third time or so, and the girls needed more harmony in their singing. The teacher looked around “Isn't there anyone here that knows Hyorin's lines and could step in just for today?”. Daesung knew the lines, he knew all the songs forwards and backwards, but he couldn't do it. He felt really bad about not speaking up, but he couldn't do it. Seunghyun turned and looked at him, Daesung felt as if he were looking at him with X-ray eyes. He knew. He knew Daesung was holding out on them, he probably thought Daesung was being really selfish. Daesung panicked and raised his hand in the air “I.. I know...them”.