The Payback (1)

How Was School Todae?

 

Choi Seunghyun, that was his name. Daesung had paid special attention this morning at roll call, the teacher had looked in the strange boy's direction when she said the name. He didn't reply of course, he probably thought he was too cool to reply. Maybe he was. Daesung had mixed feelings about Seunghyun, as a rule he didn't like stuck up people that thought they were better than others. It was a good thing then that he had come to a school filled with exactly that type of people. But he also felt a deep feeling of gratitude towards Seunghyun. He couldn't be all bad, helping him out like that. Daesung didn't want to think what would have happened yesterday if he hadn't come along. He also felt bad for how he left things, he didn't even say thank you. Daesung had been brought up always to repay kindness with kindness, but this time he wasn't sure what to do. There was no way he could just go up to him and say something to him, Daesung knew himself too well to entertain that thought for even a second. Daesung racked his brain while he fished his lunchbox out of his bag. It was lunchtime so the classroom was relatively empty. Most students went to the school canteen for lunch. Daesung didn't have that kind of money, besides he kind of welcomed the solitude. He didn't feel quite at home with these kids and he was also very shy so it was difficult for him to start up a conversation with someone he didn't know. To his surprise, Seunghyun didn't go to the canteen either. It didn't seem like he had brought a lunchbox though, wouldn't he get hungry? Daesung worried about him, it wasn't good to skip meals. They were still young, growing boys. Daesung's mom was very adamant about his meals. Even though money was tight, Daesung ate three meals a day, every day.

Daesung rummaged through his bag, ah there it was. Chocolate milk. Daesung's eyes beamed as he held it in front of him. It made his mouth water. Chocolate milk was probably among the top ten things Daesung liked most in this world. It just tasted so good and chocolaty, it was like a tiny piece of heaven and it never failed to cheer him up. He didn't get many chances to drink it though, it was only for special occasions. His mother had bought one for him as a congratulations for starting a new school as well as a sort of a “Fighting!”. He smiled to himself. Suddenly an idea popped into his head. He looked at the chocolate milk, and then at Seunghyun, and then back at the chocolate milk. He was torn, he had looked forward to lunch from the moment he woke up because he knew he would get this precious treat today. Giving was better than receiving, right? Because it hurt a little it was the perfect way to say thank you, wasn't it? Daesung took a deep breath, stood up shyly and put the chocolate milk on Seunghyun's desk without saying anything. He couldn't even if he wanted to, he was practically shaking he was so nervous. He all but ran back to his seat and his lunchbox was about to catch fire he stared so intensely at it. His heart was racing, he could feel every vein in his body pulsating. He had no appetite but took a bite of the kimbap roll so it wouldn't look strange, him sitting there half-freaking out. The food had a calming effect, soon Daesung was breathing normally again. Should he dare peak? He would probably be drinking it by now, maybe with a smile on his face. Daesung couldn't imagine how that would look like. His curiosity got the better of him and he peaked. Seunghyun had his eyes closed in the same exact position he had been in and the chocolate milk hadn't moved an inch. Daesung's heart sank. Was he asleep? Daesung couldn't hide his disappointment, but Seunghyun would have to see it before he left at least. Would he know that it was from him? The millions of scenarios racing through Daesung's mind were interrupted by the bell, lunch was over.

 

Daesung glanced regularly at the desk next to him for the remainder of the school day but nothing happened, Daesung was starting to wonder if Seunghyun was still breathing. The bell announced the end of the last class, this was it, now Seunghyun would notice it. Daesung mustered up some courage and looked. Seunghyun was gone, but the chocolate milk was still there, unmoved. Daesung wanted to cry from disappointment. Had he not seen it? He took the carton and headed out. He popped the straw in and took a sip, it was as delicious as always, but somehow it was bitter sweet. He didn't get filled with joy and happiness, he even thought it was a bit silly to get so worked up over something so simple as chocolate milk, what was he five? His mother's happy face flashed before his eyes, she loved making Daesung's life brighter with silly things. All of a sudden Daesung got extremely angry, he would not let Seunghyun ruin chocolate milk for him. He was not going to let this school change him or make him feel inferior or childish. He saw red. Just because you are rich and think you are above everyone else doesn't mean you can belittle other people's gifts. A carton of chocolate milk probably meant nothing to Seunghyun, he could no doubt buy ten cartons a day without blinking twice. Even so, it was the thought that counted. He was trying to say thank you, couldn't he see that?