The Doghouse

How Was School Todae?

 

He knew he had taken it with him out of the classroom. He remembered distinctly having removed it from the drawer under his desk and slid it into his pocket, there was no doubt about that. Daesung turned the pockets of his blazer inside out, there was nothing there but lint. Had it fallen out on the way up here? Daesung examined the lining of the pockets, it was perfectly intact. This was starting to get a little fishy. The pockets were deep so the chances of his phone casually popping out of them were low, unless someone had swiped it. No.. it couldn't be.. The ends of Daesung's lips curled up into a tiny little smile. He couldn't help himself. He knew he should be mad, but instead he was bursting with relief. He would have to verify this happy hunch of his, but for now he skipped cheerfully down the stairs with a great big smile.

 

Seunghyun was absent from class. Daesung began to worry about him skipping school so much. Granted, he never paid attention when he was present anyway, but there was a limit for absences and Daesung had a feeling Seunghyun was approaching it. The time crawled along, the teacher was droning on about some great historical event that supposedly happened in 1894. All Daesung could do was stop himself from yawning. As he had thought, his phone hadn't been in his desk and it was nowhere to be seen inside or outside the classroom. If it hadn't turned up by the end of the day, Daesung was going to swing by lost and found before he went home, just to make sure.

 

The sound of the bell, ringing in the tea break, had never before sounded so heavenly. He could hear sighs of relief throughout the room, he hadn't been the only one bored out of his mind. Normally he just stayed put in the classroom for tea break, it was so short, but after the stuffiness of the last class he fancied a bit of fresh air. As he prepared to stand up, Seunghyun practically ran him over on the way to his seat, “Oh, ehm.. sorry.”. Nobody had that bad an eyesight or that grave a balance issue. Daesung tried to contain the butterflies tickling him on the inside of his stomach. He knew it! He didn't even have to check. Keeping his face completely stoic, he grabbed his blazer and headed outside.

 

The moment he was out of sight he stuck his hand in the pocket, holding his breath. The moment his fingers touched the cold plastic cover it was as if a grand fireworks display had started inside his body. He felt little explosions of happiness all over, joining into one giant wave of ecstasy. Seunghyun had stolen his phone! That was not the behavior of someone that was planning a break up speech. Daesung got that this was a classic sign of jealousy, but he couldn't for the life of him figure out why Seunghyun was jealous. Jealous of what? Bora? Bora did have a tiny crush on him, but Daesung had no interest in Bora whatsoever. Daesung wanted to run to him and tell him he had eyes for no one but him. As far as others were concerned, he was blind. However, no matter how jealous you get, stealing other people's phones was never the answer. It showed a great lack of trust and violated their privacy. Daesung hadn't really had anything on the phone that he minded Seunghyun seeing, but it was the principle of the thing. He shouldn't go around stealing his stuff behind his back. Why didn't he just ask him straight out about whatever it was that was bothering him?

Daesung decided not to let him off the hook, even though he wasn't really bothered about it at all. He was actually relieved that he wasn't the only one acting like he belonged in a locked mental institution. But he wanted to do this right. This was no way to start a relationship, deceit and distrust were not pillars of a healthy long lasting union. Daesung decided to send him a message, but finding the right words was hard. He returned to the classroom, pensive. Under his desk he typed 'Thanks for returning my phone, I hope you found what you were looking for.' and hit send. He had wanted to send a cold snide remark hinting that he knew without giving it away, but he just wasn't the type to come up with anything remotely like that, so he settled on the direct approach.

He got a reply a second later. Now he could communicate! Daesung couldn't help being slightly irked. 'Meet me after school for coffee.'. A tiny demon made his existence known in Daesung's head. 'I don't drink coffee.' he replied. He stared resolutely straight ahead, he was not going to give him the satisfaction of looking at him. Daesung knew he would cave the moment he saw those big beautiful eyes begging for mercy. Therefore he wasn't going to look. It was hard, but Daesung stubbornly held on to his resolution.

 

'Okay, for tea then.'

 

'I'm not in the mood for tea.'

 

'I see where this is going. Can you just please meet me after school?'

 

'Maybe, I'd have to check my calendar.'

 

'I'll be waiting at the coffee shop on the corner.'

 

Daesung had decided to give him a hard time until he apologized. If he got a sincere apology, he was going to let it go like nothing ever happened. He actually found it really sweet that he had gone to such extreme lengths as to steal his phone. Who did that? It had to mean that Seunghyun cared about him, at least a little bit. That or he was a ruthless gangster using Daesung only for his phone, so he could frame him for some heinous crime he had committed. At any moment the cops would burst in and apprehend Daesung, dragging him screaming out of the classroom, never to be heard from again.

 

The bell rang. Daesung took an abnormally long time putting his stuff away. Seunghyun tried to make eye contact as he walked past him, but Daesung wouldn't hear of it. He was not going to cave. He was going to take his time and make Seunghyun wait at the café. The least he could do was wait for him a while. Now it was Daesung's turn to be mysterious and incomprehensible. Daesung took miniature steps all the way down the hall, visiting the toilet leisurely, taking forever washing his hands. He looked at his watch, it had been 15 minutes. Wasn't that enough? His heart rate was steadily increasing in anticipation. He wasn't sure he could wait much longer. The plan to torture Seunghyun was resulting in added torture for himself. He quickly abandoned this version of the plan, he would have to think up a modified version on the way over to the coffee shop. He tried to focus on ways to make Seunghyun pay for his misdoings, but all he could think about was his perfect hair and the way he smelled. His heart fluttered. He was a goner.

 

As Daesung opened the shop's door, a bunch of tiny bells that were attached to the door announced his arrival. Seunghyun sat in the darkest corner in the back of the store. Daesung approached him, with his heart in his throat. Before he reached him, Seunghyun stood up. Picking up his stuff, he walked decisively towards Daesung. He grabbed his wrist without a word and led him out of the shop and onto a tiny path in between the houses. Daesung wanted to know how he knew about this tiny little secret path, but he wasn't going to have the first word. Seunghyun should apologize and until then, Daesung's feelings would be locked away, guarded by an impenetrable vault.

They walked in silence. The weather was mild and bright, making it even harder for the Daesung-demon to keep a firm hold on him. “So ehm.. lobster?” Seunghyun commented casually as they reached the end of the path, entering a tiny little abandoned garden. There was a run down bench in the middle of it, Seunghyun sat down, expecting Daesung to do the same. Daesung just stood there, looking in a random direction. “Yeah. So?” Daesung replied dryly. Seunghyun grabbed a hold of Daesung's belt, making him sit down on the bench, putting his arm around him. Daesung tried to control his breathing, he was not going to let on how hard he was swooning. Not a chance!

Daesung could feel Seunghyun's eyes on him. Seunghyun slowly brought his lips up to Daesung's ear. “Tell me.” he said seductively with his deep haunting voice. Daesung got goose bumps, his heart literally having an attack. No, hold on! Daesung told himself. You can do this! You're a vault, Daesung thought. Nobody can get past you without the right password. He calmed down. He shook his head timidly but deliberately. “Aww.. I'm curiooous.” Seunghyun said in a cutsie way, changing tactics, poking him in the side, tickling him slightly. Daesung's defenses were crumbling. How was anyone supposed to be able to withstand this? It was mission impossible!

 

Daesung resisted as long as he could, but when Seunghyun turned his head to face his, placing a tiny kiss on his nose, Daesung knew he had been defeated. Without meeting Seunghyun's eyes, he whispered “Cuz.. you're my lobster.”. Daesung's face turned crimson. He wasn't sure Seunghyun would get the reference. A panicky feeling took hold of Daesung. Telling Seunghyun he was his lobster was basically telling him he was his soul mate. Panic. It was almost like telling him he loved him. Panic. Daesung made an attempt to calm down, telling himself Seunghyun would never be able to connect the dots.

Seunghyun was quiet. Was he trying to figure out what exactly that had meant? Please don't get it, Daesung prayed. After an excruciatingly long silence, Seunghyun squinted his eyes. “You know lobsters don't mate for life right?”. Daesung froze. “And the girl lobster basically pees on the guy's doorstep to get his attention.. Please don't pee on my doorstep, okay?” Seunghyun said, trying to maintain a serious expression but there was a tiny smirk detectable if one looked very carefully. Daesung felt like someone had slapped him right in the face as the words sunk in, trying to decode their meaning. Then he cracked up, a wave of laughter bursting out. He quickly contained it and fake-pouted, “Who says I'm the girl?”. “Well, if you're going to be my girlfriend, you would kind of have to be, right?” Seunghyun answered coolly. Daesung's jaw fell through the floor.

 

“I'm sorry I 'borrowed' your phone, it was just.. “, Seunghyun paused. He was being uncharacteristically earnest. “..at first you were this lonely transfer student in need of a friend. But suddenly you got famous and everyone wanted to be your friend. I was really scared that I was going to loose you and.. and you've become such a big part of my life that I couldn't bear the thought. So.. “ Seunghyun looked slightly ashamed, “.. so I went a little crazy on you there for a moment. I'm sorry.”.

Daesung was dizzy, he felt like he was living a fairytale and this was the happy ever after ending that only happened in dreams. He was shaking, fighting to keep his dignity and not burst into tears. He gathered his wits and put on a mischievous smile, “Okay, I'll be your girlfriend on one condition.”. Daesung's voice trembled slightly, but he managed to keep it together. Seunghyun was caught off guard. “Wh..what condition?” he asked uncertain. “You tell me the secret behind the banana milk.” Daesung demanded. Seunghyun snorted, “Oh, wouldn't you like to know.” he smirked. Daesung slid his hand into Seunghyun's, weaving their fingers together. Seunghyun went rigid, grinning sheepishly. “I.. I paid the janitor.”.