Winter Wonderfest (4)

How Was School Todae?

 

“Great, Daesung hop into Hyorin's costume and we'll get started right away” the teacher said relieved. “Wait.. what..?” Daesung stopped breathing, he couldn't think. “But..” Daesung was not about to wear Hyorin's clothes, it was a cheerleader outfit with pom-poms and everything. “Come on, we don't have all day! If you don't wear the costume it will ruin the whole feel, we are going to practice like it's the real deal.” the teacher gave him a strict look. Daesung went to the changing room, why had he raised his hand, why?! It was all Seunghyun's fault! He had made him feel petty and insecure. If only he hadn't raised his hand. He found Hyorin's costume, since Hyorin was quite tall for a girl the size wasn't an issue, however the skirt, Daesung took issue with the skirt. At least he was not going to bother with the pantyhose, that would be too much. He quickly changed into the skirt and the top. The top had no sleeves so his bulging biceps were clearly visible. Daesung took odd jobs in the summer to help out at home so he had developed quite the muscles. He looked down, the hairs on his legs didn't really go with the outfit. Oh man, how was he going to go out in front of people like that. What was the teacher thinking? Did she have it out for him or something? He opened the door of the changing room slowly and took a deep breath. This was only the most embarrassing thing he had ever done in his entire life, he could do this, no biggie.

When the rest of the students saw him they erupted with laughter. Daesung looked quickly at Seunghyun for strength, for a moment Daesung thought he saw a flicker of surprise on Seunghyun's face as well as something else, something he couldn't quite put his finger on. But a second later he had the same stoic look as always. While the teacher shushed the laughing kids, Daesung joined them on stage. He wasn't mad that they were laughing, if it wasn't him in this outfit he would be laughing with them. After all, it was pretty funny Daesung thought, his head getting woozy. “Okay, everyone ready?” the teacher was about to start the rehearsal. Daesung's dizziness got worse, there were spots everywhere and it was hard to breathe. Seunghyun signaled to the teacher to wait a minute, grabbed Daesung's wrist and pulled him backstage. It happened so fast that Daesung didn't know what had hit him, suddenly they were alone in the dark, just the two of them. What was happening? Daesung's insides were all scrambled up. Seunghyun looked him right in the eyes and poked him hard in the side. “Ouch!” Daesung said automatically, it really hurt. Before he could wonder what on earth was going on, he poked him again, even harder. Daesung grabbed his now very sore side, he understood nothing. He tried to look mad, but in fact he was only hurt and confused. Why was he doing this to him? Was he mad that he had to do the play with him? Why didn't he just say so instead of taking it out on him? He tried to read Seunghyun's eyes to get an idea of what he was thinking. He had the kindest of eyes, Daesung couldn't help but to forgive him on the spot. So he poked him, what was the big deal? Seunghyun now poked his other side, twice and punched him hard in the arm. “What the...!” Daesung yelled, the punch had been the last straw. He shook off the trance Seunghyun's eyes had put him in and prepared to answer for himself. He was mad as hell. Seunghyun, who had never taken his eyes off him the entire time, smirked. He grabbed his wrist again and dragged him back on stage. Daesung was furious, the adrenaline coursed through his veins and he hardly noticed the people now standing around them. Seunghyun signaled the teacher and the music started. The boys started doing their parts, the rehearsal had begun. There was no time to panic and the adrenaline gave Daesung extra courage, he wasn't afraid anymore. Wait.. he looked surprised at Seunghyun that was about to begin his rap, he smirked and gave him a tiny wink. Daesung's heart skipped a beat and he got an extra boost of adrenaline. “That sneaky little.. “ Daesung whispered under his breath smiling.

“Greased Lightning Go Greased Lightning” the boys sang at the top of their lungs. It was Daesung's turn. He didn't care anymore that everyone was watching, he was going to give it his all. He twirled to the center of the stage, where Seunghyun was standing. The group of girls came following behind, dancing their routine. Daesung stopped, gazed dramatically up in the air and softly sang “Summer loving happened so fast”. Seunghyun stepped closer and Daesung felt as he gently took hold of his hand. Daesung got goose bumps down his back. “I met a girl – crazy – so crazy for me” he rapped. Daesung looked into Seunghyun's eyes and almost forgot to sing his part, his heart was beating so fast he was scared he was having a heart attack. “Met a boy, cute as can be” while Daesung sang the words to Seunghyun, he could feel he really meant them. He wanted to know more about Seunghyun, find out what made him tick. He wanted to spend time with him, have fun while getting to know each other. Being so close to him, feeling Seunghyun's warm hand in his, he felt deep down in his heart that even if just as friends, Daesung wanted him in his life. “Well-a well-a well-a, huh” the boys and the girls separated them swiftly to each side of the stage, waking Daesung abruptly from his daydreaming. The boys and the girls now had the stage, taking turns singing. Daesung watched Seunghyun from afar, he yearned to be with him but there was no way Daesung would ever get what he wanted, he realized that. He was content with getting to see him everyday at school, that had to be enough. He did often think about ways to try to start a friendship going, but he always chickened out even before the ideas took the form of actual plans.

The music changed, it was Daesung's moment. He ran through the now mixed group of boys and girls and all the way to the very front of the stage, where he fell to his knees. He took a deep breath and sang from the bottom of his heart “I've got chiiiiills, they're multiplying.”, he stood up and turned to where Seunghyun was standing. Seunghyun was staring at him frozen with an incredulous look. “And I'm looooooosing control”. Daesung pointed at Seunghyun and Seunghyun started walking towards him like Daesung was reeling him in with the power of his mind. “Cause the power, that you're supplying”, Daesung turned to face the non-existent audience and with all the power his voice could muster, he cried out “IT'S ELECTRIFYING!” and began to convulse like he was getting electrocuted, finally falling limp into Seunghyun's arms. Before Seunghyun could go in for the ending hug, the whole class erupted with applause. The teacher too. Seunghyun quickly lifted Daesung up on his feet and released him. Everyone came running to him, padding him on the shoulder with expressions of surprise and delight. He lost sight of Seunghyun in the chaos, he heard congratulations, wows and woohoos from every direction, but the only thing he could think of was the fake kiss. He had wanted the fake kiss. So badly. The teacher was beside herself with joy “Wow, Daesung. That was.. well, that was simply amazing! Who knew! Such talent in our class.”. She peered at him with a look that could mean nothing good “We will turn this into a comedy. Daesung, you are our new Sandy!”.