The Payback (2)

How Was School Todae?

 

The next morning Daesung was still pissed off and more determined than ever not to lose himself amongst those rich jerks. He passed the convenience store right by his house and stopped. Daesung's stubbornness flared up, he wasn't going to let him get away with this. He ran back home and burst into his room. He took his piggy bank and emptied it, it wasn't much but it would do. He went to the store and bought a carton of chocolate milk. Daesung knew he was being a bit ridiculous and worse yet, spending money he shouldn't be spending. But he didn't care. He was kind of surprised at himself, he wasn't normally like this. There was something about that Seunghyun that just got under his skin. He hurried off to school. He was later than usual, so Seunghyun was already there. He wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of seeing how upset he was. He walked calmly (or as calmly as he could) to his desk and put the carton on the desk with a loud bang. Seunghyun opened one eye a tiny bit, but then closed it again without giving any sort of reaction. Daesung contained his rage and walked back to his desk, he was so mad that he didn't hear a single word the teacher said all day. At the end of the day Seunghyun left without taking the chocolate milk with him. Daesung was not known to give up so easily, so it was the same story every day for the rest of the week. Daesung wasn't really mad anymore, it was getting to be more like a habit.

 

It was Wednesday, more than a week had passed but Daesung wasn't close to giving up. He was running out of money though. He didn't buy a new one every day, but also didn't want him to have a stale chocolate milk if one of these days he happened to take it with him. Daesung had a paper route so he had to get up very early. He was quick so he usually finished early and arrived at school before anyone else. Daesung liked the quiet, and he used the opportunity to place the milk on Seunghyun's desk without him there. It was easier that way. It was a regular Wednesday and the day past without incident. At the end of the day, as usual, Daesung packed his things and reached for the milk. It wasn't there! Had he forgotten to bring it? No, he remembered putting it on the desk, or was that yesterday? He must have forgotten it. It couldn't be that..., no it couldn't be.

The next morning he carefully placed the milk on the right corner of the desk, so he would have the best view of it. He watched it like a hawk the whole day, but nothing happened. So he did really just forget to bring it yesterday. Daesung was a little disheartened, but he shook it off. It was the last class of the day, and Daesung now kept a constant watch over Seunghyun's desk. If anything was to happen he was not going to miss it. About 15 minutes before the class was over Seunghyun opened his eyes. Daesung held his breath. He stood up and... and he took the milk! He really took it! He didn't look once at Daesung and walked out like nothing had happened. Daesung was bursting with joy. Finally! He smiled from ear to ear and on his way home he felt like he was walking on cloud nine. Today was a good day, no, it was the best day! Why was he so happy? After all, it was only chocolate milk and he wasn't even the one who got to drink it.

 

Daesung woke up full of worries, he only had money for one more time. He wished he was rich and could afford buying chocolate milk every day, but he had to face reality. Today would be the last day. He was oddly saddened by that fact. Sluggishly he threw on his jumper and headed out to do his paper route. He didn't do it as fast as usual, he wanted today to last a bit longer. When he got to school he walked slowly through the corridor and opened the classroom door. While deep in thought he threw his bag on his desk. Something fell on the floor. It was a banana milk carton. What was it doing on his desk, had somebody left it there by accident? If it wasn't by accident.. no, Daesung didn't dare imagine. He put the banana milk back on the desk and sat down. Should he drink it? The bell interrupted his thoughts and the students rushed into the classroom. Seunghyun walked coolly to his seat, sat down and put a strawberry milk on his desk. Daesung could have sworn he had the beginnings of a smile on his face. He didn't drink it or anything, so it just stood there, where Daesung used to place the chocolate milk. What did this mean? Did he like strawberry milk better and was sick of getting chocolate milk every day? Daesung was dizzy. And where did the banana milk on his desk come from? Puzzled and tingly he opened his schoolbooks.

 

From that day on, every morning when he came to school there was a banana milk on his desk.