The Note

How Was School Todae?

 

Daesung floated to school on a red cloud. He couldn't stop smiling. Ever since Seunghyun dropped him off at home after their wonderful picnic-trip, his head had been in the clouds, not able to think about anything else. It had been the best day of his life, Daesung thought. What had he done to deserve being so lucky? Seunghyun, the guy everybody at school wanted, had chosen him. Him! Daesung's mouth ached since the smile he had was trying to grow bigger, but it was already as big as his face could handle. As he entered the school grounds, he realized he was skipping with joy and quickly stopped so as not to draw attention to himself. Keeping his feet on the ground was a challenge though.

Daesung jiggled the door of his locker, it had a mind of its own and only opened when it felt like it. He sighed as it resisted his tries, holding his books hostage. Daesung was starting to panic, if this went on any longer, he would be late for class. *POW* A fist came out of nowhere and banged hard on Daesung's locker door. The sound echoed through the hall, making the last stragglers jump and scurry off to class. The door of the locker creaked open. Stunned, Daesung turned around to see who the owner of the fist was. He was just in time to catch G-Dragon's wink as he walked past him. “Thanks!” Daesung called after him. Could this day get any better? Daesung beamed. Not only did he have an almost boyfriend, he had almost friends! He ran smiling to class.

 

There he was, sitting in his seat, looking out the window without a care in the world. Daesung got goose bumps as he marveled at how the light reflected off the side of his neck, his skin dazzling in the sun. For the duration of the class, Daesung tried to get Seunghyun's attention but he didn't look in his direction once. It was as if he was avoiding him. Had he changed his mind? Daesung thought they were finally on the right track after last time. If he didn't like him, Seunghyun would never have kissed him back, right? It had been special. Magical. Seunghyun must've felt it too. Daesung wasn't sure anymore. When he woke up this morning there hadn't been one ounce of doubt in his mind, but he could feel the seeds of uncertainness being planted in his mind.

What if Seunghyun had just been going along with the kiss, since it was too awkward to stop it midway? Maybe the picnic hadn't been a date, maybe there had been some other reason Seunghyun had brought him out there, but got sidetracked with the kiss. Seunghyun did wrap the date up pretty quickly after the kiss. Oh, now Daesung felt terrible. He hadn't meant to force him into a kiss that he never wanted. No wonder Seunghyun was ignoring him, he was probably too embarrassed. Or maybe he was mad at him? Daesung thought he had read the vibes in the atmosphere correctly. Although his infatuation with Seunghyun could have easily clouded his judgment. It could have been wishful thinking making him believe in the unbelievable, that Seunghyun could really be interested in someone like him. The more he thought about it, the more unlikely it seemed that Seunghyun would want to date him instead of having his pick of girls at school. Daesung pouted and placed his face in his hands that were resting on his desk. He hadn't heard one thing that the teacher had said.

 

At lunch Daesung walked sullenly to his locker to fetch his lunchbox. His mother had made him omurice with a happy face. She had been so glad to see him hopping happily about this morning, singing to himself. He had been overly excited to share it with Seunghyun on the roof, but he didn't really feel like eating it anymore. As he opened the locker, a note fell out. Surprised, Daesung bent down and picked it up. His heart did a summersault. Was it from Seunghyun? He wished it would be. He closed his eyes as he opened it. He yearned for it to be from Seunghyun. He took a deep breath and opened his eyes again.

 

'Yo!

Didn't have your phone number >.<

Jam session tonight, come join us!

(I won't take no for an answer)

 

GD

555-1426-1687'

 

It was from G-Dragon. Even though he was disappointed that it hadn't been from Seunghyun, he giggled at the thought of going to a jam session. It sounded so professional, and they wanted him to join them. Daesung smiled from ear to ear. It was such an honor. Granted, he hadn't heard them play yet, so they could turn out to be absolute rubbish. But Daesung was convinced that it wasn't so, G-Dragon looked like someone who knew what he was doing. One didn't become so naturally cool without having the talent to back it up. Yay! The day was looking up again, after a spell of instant Seunghyun-depression. Daesung shook his head at how childish and silly he had been behaving, Seunghyun always managed to mess with his head.

As Daesung closed his locker, he glimpsed the back of Seunghyun's head disappearing behind the corner. He could recognize that subtly stylish hair anywhere. Why didn't he come say hi? Was he avoiding him for real? A knot began to form in Daesung's stomach. So his imagination hadn't just been playing a trick on him like it so often did. Daesung's smile turned into a frown. The class room was in the direction Seunghyun had disappeared into and Daesung would definitely have noticed it if Seunghyun had passed him twice. So Seunghyun had actually seen him and then turned around, heading back to where he had come from. It was the only conclusion Daesung could come to. He was close to tears. His dream life had been shattered in an instant. He had come to school feeling richer than all the kids in this school combined and now he had been robbed, left on a street corner with nothing but a broken heart. Seunghyun was avoiding him, there was no question about it.

Daesung considered running to the nearest bathroom to bawl his eyes out, but the stubborn little demon inside him made himself heard, stopping him in his tracks. Daesung hadn't done anything wrong. If Seunghyun didn't want to kiss him, he should've stopped him. It takes two! A sudden surge of courage made Daesung head for the roof, he was going to settle this once and for all. He was tired of this emotional rollercoaster Seunghyun put him through every day. He practiced the lecture he was going to give Seunghyun as he took the stairs two steps at a time. He threw the door open and was greeted by a gust of chilly wind. He shivered slightly. Seunghyun was nowhere to be seen so he sat down on the cold pavement in the corner and waited.

 

Daesung's lunchbox lay on the ground beside him, untouched. Class was starting, he had to get going. Seunghyun hadn't shown his face on the roof. Daesung's spirit was at an all time low. He yearned to set things straight, but he couldn't even do that. He checked his phone one last time. No messages. Well, he hadn't sent Seunghyun any messages either. He had considered it, but what he had to say was too long to fit into a single text message and he didn't want to come off as a total psycho, sending him a million messages in one go, being all pissed off at him. He sighed. Why did this have to be so hard? Falling in love wasn't all that it was cracked up to be. Sure there were moments of pure bliss, but the time spent in a deep, dark abyss was much longer. Daesung had enough dark chasms to avoid in his life, the addition of new ones was not appreciated.

 

The teacher started the class with a mind-blowingly boring lecture about some mathematical formula. Daesung tuned out and stared at Seunghyun's empty seat. He hadn't returned from lunch. Where was he? Was Seunghyun so repulsed by him that he couldn't even stand being in the same class as him for a moment longer? Or had something terrible happened? A thousand different scenarios popped into Daesung's head, each worse than the last. He ended up getting so worried that his stubbornness vanished and he sneakily keyed in a message on his phone under the desk. 'Are you ok?'. He had great difficulty sitting still in his chair as he waited for a reply.

Daesung counted the seconds nervously. He had even considered calling 119 for help after he had scared himself to death thinking how Seunghyun could be passed out somewhere, unable to fend for himself, sick and in dire danger. Or he could've been kidnapped by some crazy gangsters that were after a handsome ransom from his wealthy parents. The knot in Daesung's stomach was a knot no longer, his insides were solid cement slowly cracking under the enormous pressure of the mountain of worries that was only growing larger. He was considering ditching school to go look for him when the envelope finally flashed on the screen. Daesung almost dropped his phone in the rush to open the message. 'I'm ok.'.

Daesung stared at the message. He didn't really know what to make of it. On the one hand he was happy and relieved that nothing bad had happened to Seunghyun, but on the other hand, if he was okay then he had no excuse for this excruciating silent treatment he was giving him. If he didn't like him back, he could just say so. It wasn't rocket science.