A Faltering Heart

When The Rainbow Faded

BGM: Bebe Mignon – I’ve done only good things to you

 

“Because despite everything, I choose to love you, Seohyun-ah”

“Oppa…”

Was all she could say before Joong Ki cupped her face with his both hands, trying to erased the distance between them by leaning closer to kiss her lips.

The distance was so close. Both Seohyun and Joong Ki could hear and feel the warm breath from their nose, how their hearts beat so fast, but when Joong Ki’s lips almost touch Seohyun’s, she remember the one whom she loves the most, her husband, Jung Yong Hwa. In just a split of second, Seohyun turned her head to the left, avoiding Joong Ki’s lips. Her eyes stared to the floor. Joong Ki was taken aback by her reaction. He too, realized what was just about he did to her. He was rooted in his position while his hands were still cupped Seohyun’s face.

Oh God, what am I doing? Paboo Joong Ki!

Seohyun looked up and released Joong Ki’s hands from her face. Joong Ki didn’t fight it though, for he also felt embarrassed with his act earlier, he admitted that almost kissing someone’s wife was something unforgivable, he did nothing but look down, guilt and regret were clearly show on his face.

“Oppa… I--”

“No, I’m sorry Seohyun. Really. I’m so sorry” Joong said, panicking, taking two steps backward.

Seohyun just looked at Joong Ki’s-already-panicking-face, he was busy making any weird and unnecessary gestures trying to apologize and explain that maybe he was just having an insane mind so he couldn’t think properly. Joong Ki palmed his face in frustration, he was totally scared that his stupid act will make Seohyun hate him, a lot. So once again trying to explain and apologize to Seohyun, but still, without looking at her face.

“Mianhae Seohyun, jeongmal mianhae. I was so stupid, and , and jerk, and--”

“Oppa please. Stop” Seohyun cut him.

“Huh?” Joong Ki looked up.

“……Let’s….let’s just forget about that. Let’s just pretend that…that thing was never happen. Will you, oppa?” Seohyun pleaded with her eyes.

“Ne? You….you didn’t hate me? Or…or…mad at me?” Joong Ki asked, feeling stupid with his own question.

“I….I…. Dwaesseoyo. Let’s just forget it…” Seohyun hung her words.

“I think I should go now” she continued her words, then headed to her desk to grab her bag, abruptly.

Joong Ki turned his body and only observing Seohyun but when she was near the door, Joong Ki stopped her.

“Wait, Seohyun-ah”

Seohyun sighed before she turned her body to face Joong Ki.

God…this is just too much…

“Ne?” She asked, plainly.

“I’ll drive you home, pretend that it’s my way to apologize”

“No, it’s okay, I can just take a taxi. Thank you”

She turned to walked out of the door, but Joong Ki’s word stop her.

“Please” He said.

Seohyun tightened her grip on her bag.

“I don’t want you to hate me again, so please Seohyun…” he began again.

“Please…let me drive you home”

Once again, she heaved a deep sigh but now with also closing her eyes in desperate.

This is really too much, God…

But she decided to turned her body anyway, looking at Joong Ki with so much contemplates, but finally agreed with the offer.

“Ahrasseoyo”

***

(Yongseo’s aparment)

The second Seohyun walked out of the door, Yonghwa felt terribly alone. Even himself didn’t know why, how could he felt so alone in his apartment, in his own study room. He used to live alone ever since his college years, but why? He felt so…….empty? Sitting uncomfortably in his study room, he started to think what was going on between him and Seohyun.

What makes me like this? Is this because a guilt that I felt towards Seohyun, or what?

Though he asked himself and seeking for an answer, but in the end he still couldn’t find one.

Thinking about what he just said to Seohyun, yes, he admitted that he was too much, the words was just to cruel to her. But still, just like a stupid retarded one, he didn’t know why he had the guts to say something like that. One thing he knew that he was upset with Seohyun decision to move out from their bedroom. True, that he’s been avoiding her these past days, he always making excuses only to not facing her in their bedroom. So, shouldn’t he felt glad when Seohyun finally move out to the guest room and let him owned their bedroom instead? Or at least shouldn’t he felt relieved because he doesn’t have to make any excuses ever again just to avoid Seohyun? But why? Why it’s so different from what he’s been thinking about? There’s no relief, he wasn’t glad either, but instead he felt…….upset? Disappointed? Or moreover…… rejected?

In the midst of their chaos thoughts, his phone rang, but he ignored it. At times like this, he didn’t want to bother with any other problem for he too, need sometimes to himself. But apparently the caller didn’t have any intention to understood him, his phone kept ringing and ringing and it hurt his ear. Lazily he checked it and saw the caller.

Park Shin Hye.

Another frustration raining his mind but he picked it up anyway.

“Yes?” He answered shortly.

“Yonghwa-yah….why’d you keep avoiding me today? Did I do something wrong?” Shin Hye asked, sounded desperate on the other line of the phone.

“Aniya… I was just… Having a bad day, you know, patients, surgeries, and all….”

“Ah… Keurae? Then how about if we go out tonight? Just to release some stress?” She offered, already sounded so excited though Yonghwa didn’t give his answer yet.

“……I’m afraid I can’t. Sorry Shin Hye”

On the other line, Shin Hye was frowning, didn’t expect that she’ll get this kind of answer. Rejection. And it was from Yonghwa, the one who used to never said "No" to her commands.

“…..Jin—jinjja? Wae?”

“Uhm… I’m tired, really tired, beside I’ve 2 operation schedules tomorrow so I need some rest” He explained, wanting to just cut off the phone call immediately.

“Is that so? Keundae….bogoshippeo…Yonghwa-yah…” She countered, putting up aegyo this time.

Yonghwa sighed and shut his eyes in desperate.

“We’ll meet, soon, and I know you also have such a busy schedule tomorrow, so you’d better sleep now”

Shin Hye pouted, but she felt like there’s no point to convinced Yonghwa this time since he heard so stren with his words, so she gave up.

“Ahrasseo… I’ll see you soon, okay?”

“Hmm…”

This time, Shin Hye was the one who heaved a sigh, seemed like Yonghwa really didn’t want to bother by anything tonight.

“Okay then, goodnight Yonghwa-yah.. I lo--”

“Good night, Shin Hye”

Yonghwa cut Shin Hye’s word and also, the phone call.

Leaving Shin Hye pouted and a slight anger built in her. Her brows furrowed as she had a deep thoughts about Yonghwa’s act just now. Trying to find any possibilities, trying to catch any reasons that could explain what was happening.

Why’d he act so strange? Was it because that…. Seo Hyun? No, I’ll never share Yonghwa with anyone, not even with his own wife. I must do something. I must.

She scrolled her phone screen until she find a number that she was searching for. With one last touched on her screen phone, she’s waiting for the owner of the number to picks up her call. And finally, the sound on the other line was heard.

Shin Hye smiled and asked “Oh.. Hara-yah?”

***

 

Sorry, sorry, sorry.

I couldn’t do well, I couldn’t do well, I couldn’t do well.

I, I, I’m going to do better,

I’m going to do better (from now)

 

After bid a goodbye with all her staffs and Joong Ki apologize with all the chaos that he made earlier, finally the two—what so called best friend—headed to the parking lot. Outside the building, Kwang Soo welcomed them with a wide grinned on his face, knowing that his effort to help Joong Ki talked with Seohyun was a success.

“Be safe, you two. Stay away from knife, I don’t expect you’ll kill each other inside the car”

Kwang Soo said, once they got in to the car, then he left after waving hand as a goodbye sign.

Joong Ki and Seohyun just giggling upon hearing his words. Lee Kwang Soo, has always been an interesting friend from them ever since high school. Though Joong Ki often scolded him, but deep inside he was so grateful that he has a loyal best friend in his life.

There were just another silence journey between Joong Ki and Seo Hyun. The awkward atmosphere was floating around them, for what they were just experiencing beforehand. Whenever Joong Ki wanted to make any topic to talk to with Seohyun, he always lost courage, and didn’t even dare to look at her eyes. He felt so dumb and stupid, how could he did that after all those years he was trying hard to finally got back Seohyun’s trust, but once he almost got it, he ruined it with his stupid impulsivity.

On the other hand, Seohyun more or less knew what was bothering Joong Ki during their way to sent her home, he must be felt regret and guilt, she thought. And, just like Joong Ki, was still in a shocked state, the scene when Joong Ki’s lips almost touch hers was still playing like a movie in her mind. But for Seohyun, one thing that really bothering her and made her feeling guilt even more. That was, instead of mad at Joong Ki, she’s a way more upset to herself, because even if it’s only in a split of second, she almost let another guy touch her, how could she? When the fact clearly shows that she is someone’s wife, she’s carrying her husband surname, so how could she let it? How dare she? How could she has courage to didn’t deny and almost let him kisses her?

Am I insane or something?

Shooking her head lightly while palming her temple, she tried to erased all of the scary –at leat that was what she thought—scenery form her head.

That caught Joong Ki’s attention, he looked at Seohyun and asked, his first question in their way.

“Wae? Something’s wrong?”

“Oh?” Seohyun looked at him, and placed her hands back on her lap.

“A..aniyo… I was just….” She continued, trying to find a one good reason to explaine, but zero.

“Yes?” he waited, looking at Seohyun before locked his gaze back at the street.

“…..Nevermind” Seohyun smiled, shook her head lightly.

Joong Ki also smiled and nodded, “Ahrasseo”

Both of them decide to not prolong their weird and awkward circumstances any longer, they have the same thought, and decided that what Seohyun’s offered before was the best for now. Yes, let’s just forget about “that thing” and find another topic to discuss about, it’s for the better, for both of them.

“So…..” Seohyun started.

Joong Ki looked at her, “Ne?” he asked.

“Where were you oppa? I mean, you’ve been disappeared for, uhm…a week?” Seohyun asked, then turned her head from the scenery outside the car window so she could look his expression.

“Huh? You knew I was gone for a week?” Joong Ki asked in surprised, yet excited. He didn’t expect that Seohun will have a slight thought abiut his existence.

“It’s just…that….Kwang Soo sunbae asked me for a help to find you..”

“Ah….so it’s because that giraffe...” Joong Ki commented, a slight disappointment was heard in his tone, knowing that Seohyun aware with his missing was just because Kwang Soo told her.

 Seohyun nodded and smiled warmly, “Ne…he must be really worried about you, oppa”

Joong Ki captured her warm smile that could warming his heart, that made him thinking, how would it be if that warm genuine smile is only for him? For him alone, because he didn’t want to share it with anyone else, or let anyone witnessing that beautiful smile of his Seohyun.

“……..Are you?” Joong Ki asked, ambiguously.

Seohyun frowned. “Ne? Am I, what oppa?”

After considering for several seconds, Joong Ki decided to jut blurted it out. He smiled and looked at Seohyun, deeply.

“How about you Seohyun-ah? Are you worried about me?”

Silence.

No one utters a word. Joong Ki and Seohyun have some stared battle, before Joong Ki acted smart and turned his attention back to the road, and for Seohyun, she threw her stared away to the car window beside her. Witnessing the sparkling light from the buildings in Seoul city at night, hoping that one of them will help her to find the answer.

Seohyun was silent and Joong Ki knew it was the difficult question to answer by someone like her, since she’s not the straightforward type and always think of others feeling first before she blurting about what she feels inside.

“Seohyun-ah?”

Seohyun looked at him, still in confused, but Joong Ki calmed her with a smile on his face.

“It’s okay if you don’t want to answer my question, it’s a stupid one anyway” he explained, but now, he didn’t dare to looked at Seohyun, so he was just looking at the road and the scenery outside instead.

“…….Aniyo. I was….worried, too”

*BRUK*

“Ommona!” Seohyun exclaimed in horrified, as her bag was thrown forward.

The reason was, Joong Ki stepped on the brake so sudden, thank’s God, he acted smart to pull over before finally stepped on the brake.

“What are you doing oppa?” Seohyun asked in a loud voice, mix of shocked and slight anger were shown on her face.

But ignoring Seohyun’s question, Joong Ki asked her instead, he turned his body so he could face Seohyun.

“You’re worried? About me? Jeongmal?”

“Ne?” Seohyun asked him back, frowning.

“Jeongmal jeongmal? You were worried when I’m gone?” Joong Ki asked her once again, with a sparkling eyes and bright smile.

Seohyun nodded “N—ne… Wae—waeyo?”

Joong Ki grabbed Seohyun’s hands and held it tightly with a wide and bright smile plastered on his face.

“Gomawoo… Seohyun-ah… Jinjja gomawoo….” He said, still held her hands tightly and shooking it lightly.

“N—ne…” Seohyun answered, though still in confused look.

“You don’t know how much that means to me, so thank you…Thank you for permit me to came in to your mind, though it was just a for a little while”

Yes, you’re still mean that much for me Seo Joo Hyun.

There was a long pause when after Joong Ki utter his words. Once again, they were staring at each other eyes, trying to read, trying to understand, trying to find anything that was possible to explain and make them understand with what was happening, with what they feel, right now, right at this second. Because at the moment like this, both of them were drowning on their own world, absorbing the warm atmosphere that both parties offer without thinking about what’s happening outside. Because both Seohyun and Joong Ki thought that, even if it’s only in a split of second, or even if it’s in a blink of eyes, let them cherish this rare moment, the rendezvous of two hearts that used to beat on the same rhythm, used to enjoyed the same happiness, and used to cried for the same sadness.

And because at one point, Seohyun admitted that, she felt….touched. She felt really touched with Joong Ki's words to her. It’s been a long time that someone could make her feel so precious, she never thought that she has any meaning to another human creature in this life, except her parents and her best friend, Nicole. Then she remembered, Joong Ki was always like that, even in their highschool years, he always treats Seohyun just like a princess, he always made Seohyun feels precious in any way, in anything he did to her.

What happened to us? Why’d fate hate to put its horrible and scary charm on us? You were precious for me too, oppa…you were…

Slowly, she felt her eyes got warm, she quickly turned her gaze to outside, avoiding the two deep black eyes that were staring at her. Things were just so complicated that made her couldn’t breathe properly. It was just too much to her to handle. For Seohyun, Yonghwa, is the one whom will always had and owned her without even him trying to do so, since Seohyun’s the one who chooses to love him. Yonghwa already has her heart in his grasped, he’s the one who fill Seohyun’s heart, and she let him stayed there, in the room of her heart  where she already threw away the “key” of it so no one else could replace him in her heart. Though her feeling for Joong Ki and Yonghwa has a different “room”, but at one point she felt afraid.

We can’t be happen, we can’t be happen, we can’t be happen.

Those words kept repeating in her mind also in her heart. Yes, the longer she found out about Joong Ki’s feeling of her, the longer she felt how different the way Yong Hwa treated her and Joong Ki treated her, the longer she understand that fate was playing a trick on her were really torturing her, so bad. Seohyun composed herself to throw away the impossible thought out of her mind, yes, just like she said, Joong Ki was precious for her, he was, but now, things already changed and it’ll never be the same, because she has Yonghwa, and she belongs to him in any rights. But, still, she couldn’t throw away the strange feeling she held inside.

What’s with this uncertainty? Is it just a rebound? Or… Does my heart start to…falter?

Joong Ki aware with Seohyun’s reaction, and no, he didn’t want to troubled her with his stupidly impulsive confession. If something bothering her, then it is his fault to let her feel like that, since he’s the one to keep sticking on someone’s wife. And as much as he loves Seohyun, he didn’t want to troubled her in any way.

“I’m sorry Seohyun. I was just so happy that you were worried about me” He tried to explained.

But Seohyun remained silent, looking down to her lap where her fingers were playing.

“I shouldn’t be exaggerate over it. It’s normal isn’t it? When you were worried because your friend was missing? Don’t you think so, Seohyun?”

Seohyun finally looked up, though for just a split of second before finally staring blankly to her lap.

“Ne….” she answered, almost like a whispered.

“We’re friends right? So, nothing’s wrong when you were worried about your friend. Right Seohyunnie?” He explained once again, trying to sound clearer, trying to comfort her from all of doubts that she felt inside her.

Seohyun once again, looked up. And found Joong Ki showing his eye smile to her. And that what’s made her calm, finally.

So she smiled, relieved that what was he just said was right.

“Ne. You’re right. We’re friends, so there’s no problem with worrying for friends”

“Of course” Joong Ki smiled, he too felt relieved by looking the warm smiled of her was back.

“And sorry for stopping the car so sudden” he continued.

Seohyun chuckled “Just don’t you dare to do it ever again”

“Algeseumnida sajangnim…” He answered, jokingly.

“So, should I continue this ride?”

“Yes please, Mr. Driver”

And just like the mood turned lighter and brighter, sweeping away the awkwardness and all of the complicated feeling amongst them. Deep down inside, they were quite happy with the current situation. Yes, let’s stay just like this, being a two friends who’s going home together after working all over the day. Being a good friends, just like the old times…

***

“Ah…so, you live here?” Joong Ki commented as he stepped out from the car and looking to the apartment complex where Seohyun lives.

Seohyun who was already outside answered him with a smile and nod.

“Ne….”

“Whooaaa… being a psychologist surely made you rich Seohyun-ah. It’s one of the most expensive apartment in Gangnam section” Joong Ki praised in an awe.

Seohyun laughed, then she shook her head “Aniyo oppa. It’s a wedding gift from my parents in law”

The smile on Joong Ki’s face was disappeared. And Seohyun found it soon. Suddenly she felt uneasy after saying those words to her, for she knew that it will hurt him though she never meant to do it.

“Keurae?” Joong Ki looked down and asking her in a whispered tone, he was trying to smile but somehow it looks like a bitter one.

“Ne…”Seohyun answered, just as low as Joong Ki’s voice.

“Uhm…would you mind to get in, oppa? I live in the first floor, so it won’t take a long time…”

Joong Ki smiled, but shook his head. No, he could held the pain inside when Seohyun was uttering about her parents-in-law, but now, he won’t be strong enough to face Yonghwa, her husband, the husband of the only woman that he has been in love with, ever.

“Thank you, but no. It’s getting late, I don’t want to bothering you”

“No you won’t, I want to introduce you to Yonghwa oppa once again, in a right away, since I couldn’t tell that the last meeting of you and him was a good insa”

Joong Ki chuckled before he answere with “Yeah, I would like to greet him properly too, but, I’m sure he’s already rested now, it’s late, maybe we could make sometimes to go outside for lunch or something” Joong Ki offered, still trying to hid her pain every time Seohyun mention her husband name.

Seohyun lifted her left hand and take a look at her watch. She gasped when she realized that Joong Ki was right, it was already midnight, Yonghwa must be already sleept in his study room.

“Ah ne…. You’re right oppa, I’m sorry. You must be tired too”

Joong Ki smiled. “Aniya.. Kwaencanha…”

“So….I’ll see you tomorrow?” Joong Ki asked, a warm smile showed.

Seohyun nodded firmly. “Ne, see you tomorrow oppa” and she ended her words with a smile, a smile that always melting him. No matter how many times he looked at her smile, but its always success to make his knees gone weak.

“Great! Well then, khanda…. Annyeong!” Joong Ki said, as he waved his hand.

“Ne… Annyeonghigyeseyo! Be safe on your way back oppa” Seohyun said as she nodded her head lightly to him.

Joong Ki just smiled and wave at her, but when he was about to open his car door, Joong Ki tuned back and looked at her for a while.

Seohyun frowned, “Waeyo oppa?”

Joong Ki smiled, a wide genuine smile, “Thank you, Seohyun-ah”

Seohyun was still frowning, didn’t catch the meaning yet.

“For calling me oppa, just like the old times… Thank you, really, thank you so much”

Seohyun blinked. After hearing that from Joong Ki, she just realized, that she’s calling him with “oppa” not “sunbaenim” starting when they were still in her office, she didn’t know why, but it just came out naturally like that. But, it’s alright isn’t it? We’re friends, right? We’ve a good relationship in the past, so there should be no problem with the way I call him, right?

Slowly, a light smile started to curved on her lips.

“Ne….” She said.

Joong Ki smiled even wider. Grateful that finally, finally Seohyun agreed to make a new start again with him, even if it’s only in a friendship line, but he really grateful about it.

“Alright then, it’s getting cold out here, you’d better get inside… It’s midnight already”

Seohyun nodded in agreement, as she felt the cold wind started to blew around them.

“Ne.. Drive carefully oppa. Annyeonghigyeseyo…” Once again, Seohyun nodded as a sign to bid her goodbye.

“Yes I will. Annyeong!”

With one last wave of the two best friend, Joong Ki drove his car away from her apartment while Seohyun was still standing there, witnessing the reflection of his car that slowly farther and smaller before finally disappeared from her sight. Heaving a deep sigh, Seohyun looked up and stared to the dark night sky. There were not much stars that night, only a few, but still twinkling brightly.

“Stars….this is too much...”

She inhaled a deep breathe, and after that she decided to got inside.

***

I’ve done only good things for you, (and still..)

I’ve done only good things for you, (and still…)

As the time goes by, as the years go on,

You’re becoming more and more colder.

After Seohyun entered the past code of her apartment, she got inside and the room looked dark. All the light was turned off except her room and Yonghwa’s study room. Afraid that Yonghwa might be already sleep since it was midnight already, so she decided to just walked inside quietly without saying “I’m home” first. She was headed to her room, but the second she was about to held the door knob, she paused in her spot and looked at study room’s direction, the light at the where Yonghwa used to spent his times after work was still on. She felt curious whether Yonghwa was already sleeping or not, added by she was leaving him when they were still have a little quarrel made her to wanted have a checked on him even more. Beside, it’s midnight, it’s not good for Yonghwa to overworked and cause a sleep deprived.

Slowly she walked step by step to his room. She raised her right hand and started to make a knock.

“Oppa….” She called him, in a low voice.

There’s no voice, so she called him once again , a bit louder this time “Oppa….are you in there?”

Seohyun placed her ear on the door surface and heard a sound of paper inside the room.

Actually, Yonghwa was already sleeping inside while working on his patient profile of the medical check that he has to presented at the morning, hearing Seohyun’s voice was made him alert and woke him up to found out that the profile wasn’t finished yet.

“Yes, I’m here” He answered with husky voice. Then get up abruptly headed to the door.

Seconds passed, and the door opened. Showing Yonghwa with his messy hair and reddish eyes, everyone could tell that he’s just about woke up. Seohyun felt a bit guilty upon seeing Yonghwa, feeling that she must be disturbed him by waking him up from his deep sleep.

“Onje wasseo?” He asked, when the door was just opened, still with his husky voice.

“I just came… Uhm.. I’m sorry to disturb you oppa, I shouldn’t knock your door…” Seohyun said then bent down her head in guilt.

Yonghwa smiled lightly. “No, it’s okay. In fact, I should thanked you for waking me up so I could continue my work”

Seohyun gasped then asked “You’re still working at this late hour oppa?”

Yonghwa nodded.

“But you can get sick if you’re overwork, Yonghwa oppa you really should rest now” she said, tone full of concern and worried.

Yonghwa’s heart feels warm by her act.

He smiled. “It’s okay. I’ve to make a profile of my patient for presentation at morning, don’t worry, I’ll finish it quick anyway, I promise ”

His word sounded strange even in his own ear. Why would he promised her? He didn’t know why but at that second all he wanted to do was just washed away the worriedness that she felt for him.

And for Seohyun, after hearing his words, she decided to stop nagging on him. Beside, who is she to dare nagging him like that? She thought. Yes, she’s his wife now, but just like he said, she became her wife was just because the arranged marriage thing. Somehow, thinking about that ugly truth makes her felt so weak and sad.

“Is that so? Uhm…well, how about if I make you a cup of warm honey tea?”

“No it’s okay, I don’t want to trouble you”

Seohyun hissed. “What trouble you mean oppa? Of course not! You’re my husband how come--”

Something made Seohyun stopped her words. Yonghwa’s voice few hours back were echoing loudly in her mind. “Arranged marriage thing… arranged marriage thing” it heard. Remembering those words again, somehow made her lost all of her courage.

Apparently Yonghwa knew what was suddenly making her stopped her words. The guilty feeling started to spread inside him again.

“Seohyun-ah, I’m sorry for what I--”

“Kwaencanhayo. You were right after all” She cut it right away, and ended it with a fake smile that didn’t reached her eyes. Because she felt that she couldn’t stand it if he explained any longer, for she was afraid of what he was going to say.

“I’ll just….just…make a tea now, wait a second oppa”

Without waiting for his responded, Seohyun already turned her heels and placed her bag on the couch at the living room, then headed to the kitchen. Yonghwa just watched her back silently. Her act was just make him feel more guilty, the guilt that slowly hurting his heart too.

A moment later, Seohyun already got a cup of warm tea on her hand while entering the study room after knocking on the already open door.

Yonghwa whose already buried with his worked looked up and stood form hi seat when he Seohyun entered his room.

“Here, oppa…”

Yonghwa reached for the cup on her hand while saying “Oh…thank you so much Seohyun”

“Aniyo, it’s just a tea anyway” She said with a sincere smile.

Yonghwa chuckled. “Yeah, but still”

“Well then, I leave you with your babies here now oppa” Seohyun giggled, pointed to the scattered files on his desk.

“Haha. I don’t know you could make a joke too Seohyun-ah. And once again, thanks!”

Seohyun nodded and smiled “Ne… And don’t work too much okay oppa?”

Yonghwa grinned. “Ahrasseo. I’ve promised, right?”

“Alright then. Fighting!” Seohyun said, lifting her two hands then bent it and make it to a fist to show her support to her husband.

Yonghwa smiled, showing his upper front teeth “Thank you! And…good night Seohyun-ah…”

“Ne, thank you oppa… Have a good night too” She said, before finally turned her body to walked out of the room

Reaching the door knob of the study room, she finally managed to closed the room, she felt like the longer she was there the more she wanted to be around Yonghwa and not leaving his side. She shook her head, feeling embarrassed with herself. How could she be so clingy and act like a lovesick puppy on this age? The always-rationale-Seohyun acted just like a teenager in her 25 years old. How could it would be? This is embarrassing. She thought.

While smiling to herself, she took her bag which is place on the couch at the living room and headed to her room. She took her time to changed clothes and washed her face also putting on her night cream. And finally, after she felt clean and fresh enough, she crawled to her bed and buried her body with her warm duvet. But minutes passed, she kept tossing around, finding it hard to sleep. There were too much complicated things that she was thinking of that made her got an insomnia, she concluded. She woke up and sit on her bed then hugging her knees while bending her head down until it all covered with her hair.

“Hhh…..eotteokke? What’s happening to me?” She cursed, digging the bed with her heels.

When she felt a little bit relax, she looked up and said “A distraction. I need to find a distraction”

So she got up from her bad and reached for her bag that she used to work, taking out 3 files of her patient and decided to studied their cases. At first, she brought the files with her and decided to just read it on her bed, but then she felt more space to studied it, so she decided to walked outside and started to read the files at the living room while turning on the plasma but in a really low tone, she didn’t wanted to disturbed Yonghwa, because when She headed to the living room, she saw the light on Yonghwa’s study room was still on.

After the light at the living room and placing her files also a cup of warm honey tea on the table, she sat on the fur carpet and started to read the files one by one. Writing in a blank paper once in a while when she found out about the symptoms or another important reasons that made the conditions of her patients were turned like that. Sipping her tea once in a while, she kept reading and reading until she finished with two files. When she was about to started with the third, she yawned, as she started to feel her eyes turned to a little heavier. She massage her temple and rubbed her eyes, hoping that those kind of act will shooed away the tiredness that she felt. But, she’s mistaken. Her eyes got heavier and heavier, so she decided to put down her pen and leaned forward to the table, placing her arms on it and bent it, making it placed on the top at one of another, after that she put her head on it. Slowly, Seohyun closed her eyes.

“Just five minutes… Let me close my eyes for five minutes” she vowed.

However those five minutes were extended into 30 minutes, Seohyun already had a deep sleep, with her hand and head being placed over the table and her position were still sitting on the fur fluffy carpet.

Inside the study room, Yonghwa was stretching on his seat, after he finally managed to studied his patient cases and made a presentation of it. He took a look at his watch and it showed 2 am already, feeling that he also need some rest for facing tomorrow business, he tidied his desk and put his files and usb on his briefcase, and soon he walked out from his study room, decided to get some sleep on his bedroom.

To his surprised, he found a figure whom were sleeping soundly on the carpet at the living room. He didn’t expect that he’ll found Seohyun slept there. But he walked closer to her anyway, step by step, until finally he was standing right beside her. He squatted down and had a deep look of her sleeping figure. Her long wavy brownish hair almost covered her face, but Yonghwa still could see her eyes, her nose, and her lips though there were strands of her hair that hiding her beautiful face.

Though she closed her eyes and having a peaceful sleep, but somehow there was slight of worried on her face. He concluded. Even in her sleep, she looked like she was thinking and something bothering her. He tucked some strands of her hair behind her hair, smiling to her without even noticing it.

Would you mind to tell me what’s on your thought by now?

Yonghwa silently asking, though he only found her soft breathe as an answer. After staring at her face for another minutes, he finally got up and went to Seohyun’s room. She tidied the pillow and put aside the duvet and after that he got back to the living room. Slowly, carefully, he lifted Seohyun from her position and put her in his embrace, soon he was carrying her to her bad room. He kicked the door to make it opened the he placed Seohyun on her bed carefully, since didn’t want to wake her up, then he pulled the duvet to covered Seohyun’s body with it, up to her chin.

After that, he sat on her bed too, right beside Seohyun’s lying figure. He took times to observed and stared at her face, again. Slowly, he was closed to admit that, he liked it. He liked to just staring at her without saying anything or doing anything, just like that, staring at her face without her knowing. It’s peaceful, he concluded, just looking at her face made him feel peaceful.

You’ve always done good things to me Seohyun-ah, but look what have I done to you?

He shouted in his thought. The words that he spit right to her face still lingering in his minds. And he hate himself for saying like that, for let anger dominated him and finally spit those hurtful words to her. He caressed her hair, then down to her cheek. Staring at her sleeping figure for some other times, she looked more innocence when she’s sleeping, he thought.

The scenes when he was left her, lying at her, going out with Shin Hye was coming to his minds just like a flashback scenes, just like a storm it was hitting him so bad. Thus, he felt guilty even more.

But Shin Hye, she’s important for me too…

“Mianhae…Seohyun-ah…” He said in a whisper.

He inhaled deeply before he uttered his words again. “I’m sorry…for everything”

He tidied the duvet again, reassured that she was warm enough inside it, and after that he got up and decided to walked out from her bedroom.

***

In the morning, Yonghwa woke up with a light feeling, though he couldn’t really had enough sleep last night, since he was drown in his own thought about what should he do to apologize to Seohyun? What should he do to erase all of those awkward atmosphere? What should he do to make up with Seohyun? Luckily, after some deep thought, he decided to go with one idea. He was so eager to see her this morning, couldn’t wait any more minutes to blurted out his idea. So, when the breakfast were all set on the dining table, while Seohyun was still cutting the fruit to be put on Yonghwa’s lunch box, Yonghwa was waiting for her in the dining seat with a smile on his face.

Yonghwa could hear Seohyun’s step getting closer to his direction, that made he smiled even wider.

“Good morning oppa” She greeted, a little bit shy somehow.

And he was right, when she looked up to greet her back, he witnessed a blushing Seohyun standing behind the dining chair, holding his lunch box over her stomach. He was confused at first but decided to greet her first anyway.

“Good morning Seohyun” Yonghwa said, smiling.

Seohyun just nodded then she sat in her seat, beside Yonghwa. She placed the lunch box on the table and without looking to his face, she said “Don’t forget to bring your lunch box, oppa…”

Yonghwa nodded. “Oh. Gomawoo” he replied.

There was a silence, and Seohyun still couldn’t look at his face. But when Yonghwa was about to ask what was going on to her, she blurted first.

“Uhm…ab—about la—last night….”

Ah. So it’s because of that. Yonghwa murmured in his thought.

“Yes?” He responded.

Seohyun looked up, stealing a glance on him before finally staring to her lap again.

“I…I want to ask… If…uhm.. I mean… Was it you who helped me to..uhm...”

Tobe honest, Seohyun wanted to straightly asked him “Was it you who carried me to my room last night?”, but she couldn’t, for she thought that it will be really embarrassing.

“Yes, I was the one who carried you to your room last night” Yonghwa seemed knew her situation, so he explained right away, for he knew that Seohyun’s not a straightforward type.

“Ne??!!” Seohyun exclaimed with her widened eyes, surprised that Yonghwa asked her the question that she wanted to utter to him.

Yonghwa chuckled. “Oh. Wae?” He asked, and started to munching his toast comfortably.

While Seohyun felt as if she was swallowing a lump.

“Did you…really do that?” She asked. More to herself, than asking it to him, honestly.

Yonghwa just simply nodded then sipping drink his juice. It’s strawberry, for this morning.

Seohyun flushed really red. At first, she thought that maybe she was just sleep walking or something. But came to think about it, she never had that kind of sleep disorder, so she decided to just asked Yonghwa. And surprisingly, Yonghwa told the truth. For many people, maybe it was an usual thing, but not for her. If Yonghwa really carried her last night, wasn’t it mean that he was holding her in his embrace? He was holding her close to his body? Wasn’t he? Thinking that it was her first time to being hold that close by a man, making her blushed for some more.

“You’ve slept on the floor, how could I just ignored it? So I decided to carry you instead. But, I’m sorry if you feel uncomfortable with that, I just wanted to help” Yonghwa started to pouted, was it hard to just thanked him instead of having troubled face like that?, he thought.

Seohyun looked up and waving her hand abruptly.

“Aniyo…aniyo..it’s not like that… I was just feeling shy”

Crap. What did I say?

Yonghwa chuckled. “Shy? Wae? There’s no point to be shy. Come on, don’t think to much, we’re partner, aren’t we?”

Seohyun nodded slowly.

“Good. Now, here…eat your breakfast” Yonghwa said, placing a toast on her plate.

His small act surprised her, start from last night and just now, he looked so sweet to her, but why?

“Gomawooyo oppa… And also, sorry for troubling you last night” She said, whole heartedly, looking to his eyes, deeply.

“Yeah, you’re a little bit heavier than what I’ve thought, you even make my hands got cramp” Yonghwa grinned as he started to .

“Ah oppa!” Seohyun exclaimed in annoyed though her face was blushing red.

“Omo omo, look, your nose is flaring Seohyun!”

“Aigooo jeongmal!” She said as she pinched her flaring nose.

And just like that, they both shared a merry laugh that morning, hoping those laughs that they shared this morning will brighter up their day.

“Ah I almost forgot! Seohyun-ah, do you have some free times today?” He asked, as he wiped his mouth with the napkin.

Seohyun drink her juice first before she answered with “Uhm….I could make it, what is it?”

Yonghwa’s eyes widened. “Ah really? Then, how about if we go to watch at the cinema?”

“Ne?!” Seohyun asked in surprised, she never expect that those kind of questions will come out from Yonghwa.

“I was asking whether you could make sometime to watch a movie with me or not? I heard there are a lot of good movies these days”

“You…you’re asking me to go out with you oppa? Watching a movie? At the cinema?” Seohyun asked in disbelief.

Yonghwa chuckled as he found that Seohyun looked really cute with her surprised look.

“Yes, there would be no harm if maybe we could watch one of those movies, how do you think?”

Seohyun blinked. Still couldn’t believe that her dream one by one were became a reality.

“What’s the occasion oppa? It’s not your birthday yet…”

“Do we need a special occasion just to watch a movie?”

“Uhm…No, not really…But still…don’t you busy with your work?”

“…..Well, I just want to thanked you, for…this…” Yonghwa touched the lunch box that Seohyun prepared for him.

Seohyun frowned. “Ne?”

“Yes, I just want to thanked you for always sparing your times to package me a lunch box…”

“Ayee oppa, it’s just a lunch box anyway, don’t mind it too much, beside I like cooking your meal, so…you don’t have to troubled by that”

“Seohyun-ah, you always prepared some meals for my lunch, but you never did it to yourself, how could I’m not thanked you for caring me?”

And, I want to apologize for those hurtful words that I spit to you Seohyun-ah…

“But if you already have another appointment, it’s okay, we--”

“Aniyo! I will. I can go with you to the cinema” She cut his words when she aware what will his words lead to. So she didn’t wanted to questioned him, one of her dream will becomes true soon, so she’d better let it happen than just thinking too much.

Yonghwa smiled widely. “It’s perfect then. I’ll pick you up at…..5 pm, I guess, is that okay?”

Seohyun nodded excitedly “Of course, I’ll wait oppa”

Yonghwa smiled then with one last drop of his juice, and a wiped of Seohyun’s lips, they decided to go to work.

On their way to Seohyun’s office, they shared a little small talk, Yonghwa told her about the presentation that he’ll facing soon, Seohyun sent him her “Fighting!”, while Seohyun was telling him about the cases of their client, how there were so cases about rebellious behavior of the teenagers these days.

After some times, finally they arrived in front of Seohyun’s Psychology Bureau. Before she stepped down from the car, Yonghwa remind her once again about their plan this evening.

“I’ll pick you up at 5, okay?”

Seohyun smiled and said “Ne, I’ll see you at 5, then?”

“Right” Yonghwa also smiled.

“I leave first oppa, please drive carefully”

“Copied! Annyeong!”

Seohyun nodded then said “Ne. Annyeonghigyeseyo…”, before finally she got out of the car.

Taking some times to witnessing his leaving until she couldn’t see his car again, then with a warm heart and grateful feeling, she’s ready to face whatever her day would be. As she going inside to her office, she couldn’t wait to tell everything to Nicole. Usually, when she arrived Nicole was already there, leaning her body on the receptionist desk, waiting to blushing face whenever Yonghwa sent her to work.

But this morning was somewhat different, Nicole wasn’t there. She reached for her phone while greeting back to the workers, then she made a call to Nicole. After a while, Nicole picked it up.

“Oh…Hyunnie…*cough*” She said in hoarse voice, Seohyun almost couldn’t tell whether she is Nicole or a granny.

“Yah… What happened to your voice?” Seohyun asked worriedly, as she held the door knob and got inside to her office room.

“I’m not sure *cough* maybe *cough* because that *cough* lemonade, those cold *cough* lemonade…” Nicole explained with her pitiful voice.

“Oh my God… Have you go to the doctor?”

“Ne, ggeokcheongma. I’ll be fine soon” Nicole ended her sentence with a numerous coughs.

Seohyun sigh, feeling useless when her best friend needs her, but she couldn’t stay by her side.

“Have you eaten? I’ll ask Kyu oppa to bring a porridge to your house, so just wait okay?”

 “Thanks Hyunnie *cough* but you don’t have to *cough*. I had my breakfast. ahjumma’s here *cough* she already made a porridge *cough* and another side dishes *cough*, I won’t die by a starvation”

Then Seohyun heard her bestfriend laughing faintly.

She chuckled. “It such a relieved then. Keurom… I’m going to your house right after I finished my schedules and appointment here… Aigoo… How could I leave you alone, Jung Nicole…?” Seohyun asked in a slight regret, since they used to take care of each other for years, so it so strange for her letting Nicole alone in that kind of condition.

“Aigooo…It’s okay, I’m okay Seororo, ahjumma’s here so there’s no need to be worry about”

“Hey, I miss you calling me that way” Seohyun responded.

Hearing her Nicole calling her like that was somehow built up her regret for some more since Nicole used to address her like that whenever she tried to calmed Seohyun  or making her a bit relax.

“You’re just miss this Nicole, admit it Joo Hyun” she said, and ended it with a chuckled.

On the other line of the phone Seohyun was smiling.

“Ah ne! I almost forgot to inform you” Nicole was having a numerous coughs again before finally she continued her sentence. “I don’t think I could come to the bureau today, I still need some rest and times to recovered…”

“Yes of course! And I’ll shoo you away if you dare to come here. Don’t think about work for now, just go get some rest so you could recover quickly”

“Awh… You always act sweet at times like this Hyunnie…”

“Please. I always act sweet to you”

“Haha. Okay whatever. Those medicines always got me sleepy, you know…”

“Hey. You’re a sleepyhead, even without those medicines you’ll always sleepy all the time. But, yeah, just go sleep, you surely need it for now”

“Tch! See? Now all of your sweetness were burnt simply *cough*”

“Hahaha. Just take your rest Cole-ah, and wait for me patiently okay? Get well soon sweety”

“Okay baby. Thanks! Annyeong!”

“Oh. Annyeong!”

*CLICK*

Just like that the line was cut off by both parties. Afterwards, Seohyun typed a message to Yonghwa, informing him that they’re just going to meet at the cinema for Seohyun had another business which is going to Nicole’s house, so there’s no need for him to pick her up at the office, she also promised him that she’ll be the one who will booked the ticket for both of them and texted him right away after she got the ticket. At first, Yonghwa refused and wanted to be the one who booked the ticket, but Seohyun insisted, it’s because she felt guilty because she changed their former planned so sudden, thus in the end Yonghwa agreed.

 

Send my regard to Nicole and I’m wishing her to get well soon.

Seohyun-ah, fighting!

 

The smiled on Seohyun’s lips stayed longer as she read the last sentence of the text message that Yonghwa sent to her. It was just simply washed away her gloomy feeling because she couldn’t accompany Nicole in her house when she got sick.

She replied his message with

 

I’ll surely send your regard to her. Nomu gomawooyo oppa.

And again, thank you! Oppa do, Fighting!

Don’t forget to eat your lunch. Saranghae~

 

Something made Seohyun paused her finger for a while and stared at her i-phone.

 

Saranghae.

It typed. Was it okay if she just simply typed it and send the text to Yonghwa?

 

Because, to be honest, Seohyun really wants to typed “Saranghae” at the last part, but in the end she click the “x” button to slowly erased the letter one by one. Yes, she decided delete the “Saranghae” word, for she didn’t want her feeling becomes a burden for Yonghwa.

 

Just like this, even if you couldn’t love me back, it’s alright, it’s enough if you’re just keep like this.

 

She sent her text and the smiled stay there, though it turned to a bitter one, knowing the possibilities of Yonghwa could love her back is nearly zero.

***

(SNU Hospital)

Yonghwa was doing great with his presentation about the case of his patient. The patient had a Mitral Valve Regurgitation case that soon turned into a cardiac failure. Actually, the Mitral Valve Regurgitation itself or usually called MR, is not a complicated case for a heart disfunction, the probability to recovered of someone who has case like that was also quite high, mostly they will need a surgery to change the natural valve into a mechanic valve and another several medical procedures and treatment will surely helped the patient to quickly recovered. But, it will turn really bad, if the one who has a mitral valve regurgitation symptoms but he/she didn’t get the needed and necessary treatment for his/her heart. Because soon, when the left ventricle is getting swollen because the heart keep pumping but the blood itself doesn’t spread to all over the body, the patient will get a symptoms, or worse, a cardiac failure or mostly known as CCT (Congestive Cardiac Failure) and if, the patient is in that state of condition, the treatments and medicines that the doctors give won’t help much, because the heart is already in the chronic and progressive condition in which the heart muscle is unable to pump enough blood through to meet the body's needs for blood and oxygen. Basically, the heart can't keep up with its workload. CCT is one of the most complicated case for surgeons to handle, the percentile of a success operation of these kind of case is really low, mostly the patient will passed away in the operation room because they didn’t have much strength to hold on. And when the doctor declared the time of death of the patient, mostly the families will freaking out and thought that the doctor is not good enough to handle their relatives, that the doctor is a fake surgeon, and another king of mock and insult, just because the doctor couldn’t safe the patient’s live. 

One by one of the surgeon team were patting Yonghwa’s back and shoulder as an appreciation of his awesome presentation. The doctors mostly praised his braveness to take that case, since mostly surgeon will avoid CCT case because of the high risk and big responsibility they’re going to face ahead.

“Ne…khamsahamnida…”

“Aniyo…you’re too much praising me, sunbaenim”

“Khamsahamnida… Wish me luck!”

Were all he replied to the doctors who were congratulate and praised his work.

“Hyung! You really made an awesome presentation Hyung! Congratulations!”

“Gomawoo Minhyuk-ah! But, without your help I’ll surely can’t do this, so I’ll really need your help to work on this case”

Minhyuk nodded excitedly and showing his eyesmile.

“Of course I’ll always ready for helping you 24 hours Hyung!”

Yonghwa chuckled. “Thank you again, nae dongsaeng!”

Min Hyuk was about to answer him and asking another things to Yonghwa, but something made him stopped, and just left his mouth hang opened, when he heard, they heard, yeoja’s voice calling Yonghwa and stepped closer towards them.

“Yong Hwa-yah!!” She said with a loud voice while running slowly to their position.

Somehow, Min Hyuk’s face turned bitter upon hearing and looking to the owner of the voice. But still, using manner as a reason, he greeted her anyway.

“Annyeonghaseyo Doctor Park” Min Hyk said coldly as he nodded his head.

Doctor Park smiled cheerfully and greeted Min Hyuk in a full of excitement even managed to put an aegyo.

“Oh… Min Hyuk-ie annyeong!”

Min Hyuk tried to curved a smile, though it didn’t reach his eyes. He hated the atmosphere already, so he thought that now it’s time to leave that place.

“Hyung, I’ve to check Mrs. Lee condition. Geurom, I’ll go now…”

“Oh geurae? Alright then. Fighting Minhyuk-ah!” Yonghwa cheered him with a smile.

Min Hyuk only smiled and nodded his head to Shin Hye as he turned his body and leave the two there.

So here it goes, there’s only Yonghwa and Shinhye, facing each other, with Shin Hye looked at him with a genuine smile while Yonghwa was faking his smile.

“Yah! Nae namja, are you avoiding me?” Shin Hye asked, with her arms folded over her chest, acted like she was interrogating Yonghwa, while she stepped closer towards him.

“An—aniyo… I was just…busy…you know, with the presentation”

“Really? Is that so? But, why’d I have a feeling that you’re avoiding me, Doctor Jung?” She asked, raising her left eyebrows. She started to feel impatient.

Yonghwa sighed, a deep one. “Shin Hye, please, we’re in a work time now”

Shin Hye rolled her eyes. “Ahrasseo ahrasseo. Just spare your time with me today and no more reasons”

“But I have to-- ”

Shin Hye pecked Yonghwa’s lips and it stopped his sentence, then she said “I don’t take a “No” as an answer Yong Hwa. I leave now”

She gave her winked before leaving doumbfounded Yonghwa at his spot. Yonghwa messed his hair in annoyed and shut his eyes in desperate. How come he always couldn’t say “No” to her? He questioned himself. He inhaled and exhaled deeply, hoping that it would help him to calm himself. As he felt that he was better, he started to walked, headed to his office room, ready to dealing with all of his patients cases.

***

(Seohyun’s Psychology Bureau)

At her Psychology Bureau, Seohyun did her best on her work, well, she always do that, but today, somehow she looked a little bit more eager than usual. She finished her job a little bit faster, but of course, without ignoring the detail or lessening the necessary information or facts of the statements that she got form her patient. She got a quick lunch for she knew that she was like chasing time to go to Nicole’s house then g straight to the cinema. Just thinking about the last one, could make her smiling all day, just like a lovesick puppy. She was sooo focus and drowning with her files, ‘till she didn’t aware that it was near 3.45 pm already. If it’s not because Hyoyeon who came to her office room to bring the foods and a latte that she was ordered for Nicole, she will totally forgot her plan. It was also such a relieved for she already finished the personality report of her clients, so after she made sure that she already copied the file to her usb, she grabbed her bag and threw her cellphone and her usb abruptly in it, then walked out of her room.

“Onnie-deul, I leave first. Bye bye!” She greeted the receptionists.

“Nee, Joo Hyun-ssi, send my regard too Nicole-ssi. Be safe on your way Joo Hyun-ssi!”

“Got that, and thank you onnie!”

With a nodded from Seohyun and a bowed from her workers, soon she was leaving her office, to meet Nicole in her house, which is have been her house too.

After taking around 20 minutes by taxi, she finally arrived at her former house in Sangdo-dong, Seohyun smiled as she look at the house in front of her. It still looks the same, nothing has changed since the last day she left the house to move at her apartment with Yonghwa. It still looks warm just like before, just like its used to. And she admitted, that, yes, she really missed this house so bad.

Seohyun pushed the short white wooden gate, then slowly walking on the footsteps stone, smiling without her notice. Afraid that maybe Nicole was having a nap, so she decided to just entered the pass code without pushing the bell button first. When she got in, Seohyun only found Mi Sook ahjumma was folding Nicole’s clothes at the living roon while watching tv.

“Oh ahjumma, annyeonghaseyo” Seohyun said as she smiled then walked towards her.

Ahjumma stood up and welcomed her with wide then she said “Ommona! Joo Hyun-ssi, annyeonghaseyo! Aigooo…oraenmanineyo…”

“Ahjumma…bogoshippeoseo…” Seohyun said, then she hugged Mi Sook.

Mi Sook also hugged her and patted her back.

“Is this really you Joo Hyun-ssi? Nado boshippeoseo…”

Seohyun leaned back and released Mi Sook from her embrace, she held Mi Sook’s hands and nodding to her.

“Of course it’s me, who else?”

“Hahaha…ani… I was just afraid, my old eyes were mistaken”

“Ayeee…50’s not that old ahjumma, and to be honest, you’re still look….” Seohyun leaned forward and whispered her last word beside Mi Sook’s ear.

“….y” she continued.

Mi Sook ahjumma slapped Seohyun’s arm playfully but couldn’t hid her blushing cheek though.

“Aigooo…young lady, you always knew how to make this granny blush!”

Seohyun laughed, “But it’s true ahjumma!”

Mi Sook chuckled. “Ayee…dwaesseo dwaesseo! You must be want to see Nicole-ssi right? She’s in her room, just sleeping an hour ago after she ate her medicines”

“Ah really?” Seohyun asked, a little bit disappointed because it means, she couldn’t talk to Nicole for now.

“Ne, she’s really having a bad cough. But, don’t worry Joo Hyun-ssi, I’ll take care of her well…” Min Hyuk ended her sentence with a smile, and rubbed Seohyun’s hand to soothe her.

“Yes! I’ll trust her on you then ahjumma. And also,  here, I bring an ingredients to make a porridge, and also another foods, fruits, milks and another things, so you don’t have to buy he porridge outside”

“Ommo… Nicole-ssi is really lucky to have you as her bestfriend Joo Hyun-ssi… Khamsahaeyo…”

“Aniyo, ahjumma…we’re just lucky to have each other… I’ll just go to her room now to look at her condition”

“Yes, sure…”

As Seohyun excused herself, she proceed to Nicole’s room. She opened the door slowly and carefully, avoiding any unwanted noises that might be caused by the door. And there, she found Nicole’s body, lying down helplessly on her bed, and buried with a thick duvet. Seohyun sighed as she walked towards her bed. When her position got closer, she observed Nicole’s pale face, the tip of her nose looks reddish than usual, her lips also look dried, and there’s a cold sweat on her forehead, though Seohyun didn’t touch her, but she could feel the warm atmosphere the closer she get to Nicole’s body. Seohyun decided to touched her forehead though.

“Aigooo…you look quite bad Jung Nicole” she commented.

Seohyun could wake her up, but she didn’t have a heart to do that, for she knew that Nicole really need a lot of rest at her condition now. So, after wiping the sweat on Nicole’s forehead with a tissue she got from the bedside drawer and tidied the duvet, Seohyun decided to leave the room and let Nicole’s get the res that she needs.

On the outside, Mi Sook already waited for her, with a warm smile, holding two small wooden tablets with a red yarn on the top of it. Seohyun smiled then walked closer to her.

“Ahjumma…I’ll leave Nicole on you, please take care of her well” Seohyun said and bowed to Mi Sook.

“Aigoo aigoo…don’t bowed that low to me Joo Hyun-ssi”

Seohyun smiled and said “Kwaencanhayo ahjumma… I always thankful that you’re the one who take care of us since we leave in this house, you’re just like a second mother to me and Nicole…”

“It’s me that should be thankful to both of you for always treating me well, for always treating me like your relative and not like a maid”

“You know you’re more that that for me ahjumma…”

“Ne…geurasseo, I have a small gift for your wedding, Joo Hyun-ssi. Nicole-ssi told me..” Mi Sook said as she handed Seohyun the wooden tablets that she held earlier in her hands.

Seohyun gasped, “Ommona…Thank you so much ahjumma…I’s so beautiful…You know, you don’t have to do this, I don’t want to troubled you….”

“Ayee, what troubled that you mean? It’s nothing if its compared to your kindness to me”

Seohyun hugged her while unstoppably saying “Khamsahamnida”

She leaned back then said with a forlorn look “But ahjumma… I’m sorry for didn’t inform you about my wedding earlier, well..uhm…the story is quite long and complicated, so…”

Mi Sook smiled and held her hands “Kwaencanhayo Joo Hyun-ssi, don’t mind it… I really wish you to have a good and happy life as a married couple with your husband, he should know that he really lucky to have a goddess as his wife”

Mi Sook words successfully made her blush, but somehow it also stabbed her heart deeply.

Does oppa feel lucky to be my husband? Does he?

“But, if you have a spare times, I’ll gladly listen to your story Joo Hyun-ssi” Mi Sook continued.

Seohyun just smiled and nodded before she asked “What’s the meaning of these tablets ahjumma? I’m really curious”

“Ah… Keugae… I went to a temple and met a monk there, and I consulted him about what kind of gift should I give to a couple so they’re going to have a really long term relationship, and he recommended me these tablets… Look… The two kissing horses here symbolized for a good affinity, wishing that the current relationship grows and continue for a long time and they’re going to love each other and take care of each other for a long long time too until only death could tear them apart…” Mi Sook explained.

“And here...” Mi Sook pointed to the red yarn of the two tablets.

“You could hang these tablets in your house” she continued.

Seohyun listened to her explanation carefully, and slowly, without even noticed, her eyes were already teary. She held Mi Sook’s hands tightly.

“Jeongmal…jeongmal khamsahamnida Ahjumma…”

***

I’ve done only good things for you, (and still…)

I’ve done only good things for you, (and still…)

But as the time goes by, as the years goes on,

You’re turning away more and more

 

Meanwhile, at SNU Yonghwa who was also drowned with his work didn’t realized that the clock on his room already showed 4.45 pm, once he looked up and check for a time, he got startled for he almost forgot his plan with Seohyun. Tidied his desk abruptly, Yonghwa finally left his room, headed in a rush to the parking lot. But once he got out of his room, he was being dragged by Shin Hye towards the elevator. She insisted that she wanted him to accompany her to buy a birthday gift to her friend, Gyu Ri. Yong Hwa already objected, telling her that he haven’t finish his work yet and also he already had another appointment for today, it didn’t budge Shin Hye though, she ignored all of his reasons and did whatever she wanted to do with him.

“How important your appointment is so you could just ignore and leave me alone like this, huh?” Shin Hye asked in a furry.

“Keugae aniya… But I’ve promised Shin Hye, please understand, let’s just go tomorrow, oh? I’ll accompany you to wherever you want to go tomorrow, but not now, okay?”

“Shiro!”

“Shin Hye-yah…come one..just once…oh?”

“SHILTAGU!” Shin Hye shouted, her sharp eyes locked on Yonghwa’s eyes.

Her shouted made some nurses, the cleaning services, some doctors, and even patients stared at them. Yonhwa realized that Shin Hye’svoice gained all of the attention of the people there. Thank God, the elevator finally opened, bowing his body as an apologize, he grabbed Shin Hye’s hands and dragged her to get in to the elevator.

“Could you please low down your voice? Please. We’re in hospital Shin Hye!” Yonghwa said with a stern face.

“It’s your fault, I won’t shout if you just simply agree with me” Shin Hye argued him.

“But I’ve told you, I can’t, I--”

“Yonghwa please” Shin Hye cut him.

“I need you, I really need you now, I feel so lonely, there’s only me in this world, I…. I don’t have anybody else but you…” Shin Hye confessed with her shaky voice and tears started to rolled down to her check, that in the end it made Yonghwa’s heart melted.

Yonghwa heaved a sigh, a deep one. He always hate this kind of situation.

Yonghwa slowly nodded. “Ahrasseo… But I’ll just accompany you to buy the gift okay, after that I’ve to go somewhere”

“Okay!” Shin Hye exclaimed, her smile already wiped away the former tears on her cheeks.

***

You and I, why do we meet?

Did I look that easy?

You don’t want me to have you, because you don’t want to have me,

This love turned out to be like that

To say that there was no love,

To say you don’t want me.

Why am I being the good one,

Who is going to do better?

I’m going to do better (from now),

Just pick up the phone

Seohyun arrived at the Lotte Mart around 5.10, so she was half running when she got inside and headed to the XXI as soon as she can. The first thing she did when she managed to stepped into the cinema area, she checked for the movie schedules at the plasma. At first, she wanted to watched “Descpicable Me 2” since Yonghwa told her that any genre will do for him, and since she likes animations, so she decided to watched it, but all the ticket was already sold out and there’s only left for the midnight theatre, so she decided to pick another movies. The theatre staff suggested that one movie titled “When The Rainbow Faded” with Jang Dong Goon and Kim Ha Neul as the lead actor and actress,  the forever raising star of the Korean Movies. The movie itself has such a romance and a bittersweet genre, actually Seohyun didn’t really like that kind of genre, she preferred animations or comedy or even historical stories, but time passed really fast and it’s already near dinner time, so without thinking too much Seohyun finally bought two tickets, the theatre will be opened at 18.00, so she got around 30 minutes to wait Yonghwa.

Sitting at the café nearby and smiling to herself like a fool, she took out her phone to informed Yonghwa. But, she frowned when she found out something strange, no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t reached him, he didn’t pick up her calls. What’s wrong? Seohyun asked to herself, though she couldn’t find the answer.

***

Yonghwa and Shin Hye was walking around in a Lotte Mart, Shin Hye was still confused to decided what kind of gift that she would give to Gyu Ri. Shin Hye was walking happily while hooking her arm to Yonghwa, but Yonghwa looked trouble as he couldn’t find his cellphone. He just realized, the moment he got out of the car at the parking lot at the Lotte Mart, that he left his cellphone at his office room since he was in a hurry, afraid that he’s gonna be late for the appointment. Thus he really confused to find a way to contact Seohyun, he could just borrow Shin Hye’s phone, but he didn’t Seohyun’s number. Then he remember that Min Hyuk also had Seohyun’s number since his sister is Seohyun’s client, but unfortunately, again, Yonghwa didn’t remember his number too and Shin Hye didn’t that close with Min Hyuk to have his number. He started to cursed his stupid head for not remembering other’s number, not even one, not even his parents number, he only remember one though, that it’s his number.

I’m doomed. I’m doomed. Really doomed. He cursed in his minds.

So, how could I contact Seohyun now?

On the other hand, Seohyun started to feel uneasy in her seat at the pastry café nearby. Though she ordered the macaroons, but it all tasted bitter to her. She still couldn’t find a way to contact Yonghwa, and time already shows 5.50 pm, only 10 minutes left before the movie started. However, Seohyun decided to just went back to the movie theatre, still hoping that she could reach Yonghwa anytime soon. She walked out of the café, but something made her froze in her spot in front of the glass door of the café, her eyes looked on a figure inside the jewelry shop.

***

I’ve done only good things for you,

I’ve done only good things for you,

But as the time goes by, and the years go on,

You’re turning away more and more

Seohyun felt that the way she walked maybe was kind of in an auto mode, until she realized that she was already inside at the XXI theatre. She was shaky like a leave and stood absentmindedly in front of the theatre doorway. She blinked, once, twice, thrice, and inhaled as deep as she could, the patted on her shoulder made her snapped back to reality.

“Seohyun-ah?”

The voice sounded familiar though, but she felt that she couldn’t find her voice to give an answer.

“It’s really you Seohyun-ah! What are you doing here? Alone?”

He asked again when he stood right in front of her. Seohyun could only look up and stared to the figure in front of her as she was still felt like her voice was stolen away.

“Yah… Neo… kwaencanha?” he asked again, with concern look.

Still, Seohyun just silent and stared to his eyes. So he rubbed Seohyun’s arm and looked at her with a worried face.

Finally she could find her voice.

“Op….ppa….”

“Ne, majayo. I’m your Joong Ki oppa, and I was asking what are you doing here…alone?”

“…..Nan….nan…”

Then Joong  Ki’s eyes found the two ticket she was gripping tightly in her hands.

“Ah….waiting for someone to watch a movie?” He simply asked.

Seohyun looked down and stared to the tickets. Slowly her lips started to trembling as she felt her eyes got warmer.

“Perhaps….are you waiting for Nicole?”

Seohyun remained silent, tear drops freely from her left eyes and it dropped right in the ticket in her hand, caused she tightened her gripped to it. Joong Ki knew that something must be happened to her, but instead of asking about the problem first, Joong Ki decided to do another thing to her. He smiled warmly, silently hoping that whatever he’s gonna do to her could help her to ease her pain.

“Whooaa…. You already had a tickets!” Joong Ki said as he grabbed the ticket from Seohyun’s hand.

She didn’t argued or trying to took the tickets back, for she already didn’t care about what he’s going to do with the ticket, since Seohyun could guarantee that the one she’ll give the ticket to won’t come to the movie theatre.

“Oh! The movie’s already started 20 minutes ago! Come on let’s get in then, I’ll take Nicole place, I’m sure she won’t come, maybe she was still busy. Let’s go Seohyun-ah!”

Seohyun was about to opened but Joong Ki already grabbed her hand and dragged her, headed to supposed movie theatre.

“Oppa… Stop… I don’t want to watch the movie now. I’ll just go” She said, trying to released her hand from Joong Ki’s gripped.

“Mwo? What are you talking about? We can’t waste these tickets, it’s Jang Dong Goon and Kim Ha Neul’s movie, so it’s must be an awesome movie. Come on, I just want to accompany you, I won’t do something stupid like I did before, please… Seohyun-ah… ”

I just want to ease you pain, even if it’s just a little… I know you’re not waiting for Nicole…

Apparently Seohyun insisted with her silent mode, for she didn’t answered every question that Joong Ki uttered to her.

So, he decided to reached her hands again and leaded her to the theatre 2. This time, Seohyun didn’t objected. To be honest, Seohyun was really wanted to cried out loud, but she couldn’t just cried her lungs out right there and then. People might be think that she is insane or something, so probably, with watching a movie like this could help her to forget the unbearable pain that she felt.

It was so dark inside, when they finally got in to the movie theatre, since the movie was already started, so Joong Ki still holding Seohyun’s hand, leading her to reach their seat while in front of them the cinema staff was helping them to find their seat.

“Khamsahamnida…” Joong Ki said in a whispered to the staff as the moment they find their seat.

The staff only smiled and bowed to them and hurriedly left the theatre.

Seohyun and Joong Ki now sit on their seat, and got ready to watch the movie. The first 15 minutes passed with only silence. Until finally Joong Ki heard that Seohyun started to sobbed in her seat beside him.

He looked at her in surprised, worried that there’s maybe something wrong with her until she was sobbing like that. Joong Ki reached her hands and asked her in a whispered.

“Hyun-ah, wae? Kwaencanha?”

Seohyun sobbed even harder, but she tried to answer Joong Ki.

“Ne…It’s…just….the…movie….” Seohyun tried hard to answered him in the midst of her sobbed.

Joong Ki nodded and said “Ah… Geurae…”, then he looked back to the wide screen and continued to watch the movie.

Though he was worried at first, but when he watched the movie back, he found that the scene on that movie was showing Jang Dong Goon, the lead actor was crying so pitifully because he just found out that his wife was laying on the floor, motionless, as the blood was streaming freely from Kim Ha Neul’s nose. So, Joong Ki thought that maybe Seohyun heart breaks too as she watched the heartbreaking scene of the movie plot.

Actually, the moment Seohyun sit and looked at the wide screen in front of her where the movie shows, Seohyun’s mind were flying away, went back to the few minutes back, when her eyes captured the familiar figure, or should she say her husband figure? Inside the jewelry shop, with another young woman whom was linking her arm with him.

 

You and I, why do we meet?

Did I look that easy?

You don’t want me to have you, because you don’t want to have me,

This love turned out to be like that

To say that there was no love,

To say you don’t want me.

Why am I being the good one,

Who is going to do better?

I’m going to do better (from now)

 

Flashback

She still couldn’t find a way to contact Yonghwa, and time already shows 5.50 pm, only 10 minutes left before the movie started. Feeling almost desperate, Seohyun decided to just went back to the movie theatre, she was still trying to contact Yonghwa though, but it was still the same, he didn't pick up. She walked out of the café, but something made her froze in her spot in front of the glass door of the café, her eyes looked on a figure inside the jewelry shop.

Yong Hwa. That figure really look like Yong Hwa.

Without even thinking that she might be mistaken, Seohyun took her steps and walked towards the shop. She didn’t get in, but she was just standing in front of the jewelry shop, observing the figure that look like her husband through the glass door of the shop. And that it goes, the moment that man was turned his head, she could see him clearer, that it was right, she felt that her body was started to shivering and her lips was started to trembling, when she finally sure that he was no other but her husband, Yong Hwa. And right beside him, there’s a beautiful Yyoung lady with a straight black hair, smiling widely as she was holding a pearl necklace with her two hands while looking at him lovingly, and Yong Hwa also smiled to her while nodding his head. Seems like that yeoja was asking him about the necklace that she showed to him.

Seohyun gripped the side of his brown coat tightly, seeking for something to hold on as she felt her knees turned weaker and weaker. She turned her heels and the way she walked was keep faster and faster because she felt that she couldn’t stay there any longer, because she felt like there was a bullet that hitting her chest, because she felt that she couldn’t breathe, because she felt like the world is just stop spinning. She bit her lips, trying to hold her tears so it won’t streaming down to her face and made her look stupid or full of pity.

End of flashback

She concluded that she succeed to tricked Joong Ki when she told him that she only cried because the sad movie that they were watching. When actually the fact showed otherwise. Still holding her gaze to the wide screen and act like she was watching a movie, slowly Seohyun placed her right hand inside her bag, seeking for the wooden bullets that ahjumma gave her earlier. When she felt her hand found it, she gripped to it tightly, silently asking for a strength, silently hoping that it would wiped away all of her sadness though she knew that it was only some kind of an empty hope, but at least, she was trying.

She didn’t know why, but the moment she gripped to the wooden tablet inside her bag, her tears couldn’t stop streamed down to her cheek, that caused she sobbed even harder. At first she thought that gripping to the wooden tablet could give her a new strength, but apparently she’s mistaken, because she felt a little more pain, and she felt her heart hurt for some more. The bitter scenes when Yonghwa was picking jewelries with another woman came like a storm in her mind.

I’ve done only good things to you, oppa… But why? Why’d you have a heart to do that to me?

You and I, why do we meet, oppa? Do I look that easy so you could treat me like that?

Oppa, tell me…

Should I give up? Should I give up on you, now?


I’ve done only good things for you,

I’ve done nothing but only good things for you

 

*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Annyeonghaseyo.....yeoreobeun.... ^_^

Uhm...perhaps....do you still remember me? TT_______________TT

 

I admitted that I left this story hanging for almost a month, and that must be torturing you, my loyal readers, there's nothing I can't say, but SORRY. I'M SO SORRY. But, you know, I've my life to live with too, I got easily tired these past weeks whenever I got home after work, maybe it sounds like an excuse, and as an author I didn't suppose to ignore this story of mine. So, sorry...really.... Would you mind to forgive me? :((((((((

 

I hope you'll like this lil update...

And, I'm really looking forward for your always-heartwarming-comment...

And oh, WELCOME to all my new subscribers...

And THANK YOU SO MUCH to all my gorgeous-and-goddess heart- 177 subscribers. YOU GUTS ARE JJANG.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH *tight hug*

 

Enjoy reading and have a nice day :)

 

So much Love,

heavenlysins