Between The Lines

When The Rainbow Faded

 

BGM: Xia Junsu – Foolish Heart

This is enough, the heartache, the painful tears
I was always in pain, ever since you first came to me
I know even if you don’t say it
That someone like me will never live in you for a single second

 

Seohyun was outside, busy giving the address of their new apartment and also several instruction to the workers about how and where should they place her stuff. After finished with her orders, she got back inside to her house, heading to her room to got another box and lifted it to the van. And there he was, she saw him squatting down, gathered her things that was scattered on the floor, including her latest CT scan result from the hospital in Busan. She held her breath as she saw him already gripping the envelope and stared at it.

“OPPA?!”

She gulped than blinked, was staring at him with a horror look.

Yonghwa snapped then stared back at her as he asked “Seohyun-ah….is this yours?”

Without loosing anymore times, she walked hurriedly towards him and grabbed the envelope from his hands.

Still with horror expression, Seohyun asked Yonghwa “Did you see it? Did you see the name?”, ignoring his question.

Yonghwa frowned, didn’t understand why did she saw him as if he was a ghost or something.

“Uh…oh…ani…just saw the upper part…until the cardiologist part…” he answered groggily, looked up at her.

Seohyun sighed and hid the enveloped behind her back, gripping at it tightly.

“That CT scan result belongs to you?” Yonghwa probed, brows furrowed as he stood up.

“Ne? An…aniyo…ani…of course not…it belongs to my client…” Seohyun stuttered as she tried to find the rational answer for his question.

“Ah….you must keep it as a secret?” Yonghwa asked, seemed like he believed with her answer.

Seohyun nodding her head repeatedly and said “Ne…that’s one of psychologist’s ethic codes…not revealing any information of our clients to another party…that’s why….” She lied, avoided the eye contact and got busy touching her hair.

“Oh…I’m sorry.. I didn’t look at the name. I swear. I’ve told you I just saw until the cardiologist part. I’m really sorry Seohyun”

“Aniyo oppa, it’s alright…” Seohyun shook her head and put the envelope back to her bag.

“Well…do you need my help oppa?” She offered, trying to changed the topic of what was they talking about earlier.

“Uhm..yeah… I don’t expect that this box could be this heavy….”

“Well then, let’s lift it together…” Seohyun said, with a smile on her face as she linked her bag on her shoulder.

Yonghwa also smiled and said “Ne…”

Together, they lifted the box, slowly they stepped out from Seohyun’s room. Minhyuk and Nicole who were noticing the worship of the couple looked at them with a sincere smile.

“Whoooaa…what a perfect worship from the newlywed…” Minhyuk teased, but deep inside he really meant it.

“You guys look perfect together….” Nicole praised wholeheartedly.

Both Yonghwa and Seohyun could only blush and looked at each other eyes but avoiding right away when their eyes met. Minhyuk and Nicole then giggled, satisfied that their succeed little teased to the newlyweds.

They were still continued to lifting and moving Seohyun’s stuffs to the van when Yonghwa’s phone couldn’t stop ringing. At first Yonghwa was ignoring it, but it kept repeating and started to distracted his attention. So he took out his phone from his jeans pocket and checked for it. There was already 5 missed calls fron the same person. His expression turned into a stern look and he looked uneasy, when the phone stop ringing he turned the profile to a silent mode and put it back to his pocket. Seohyun who was carrying the small box with her two hands, approached him.

“Uhm…is there a problem oppa? You look worried…” she asked, full of concern.

“Ah…ani..ani..”

“Was it from the hospital? It’s okay if there’s an emergency call you could just go…”

“No, it’s not from the hospital. It’s nothing, really. Here…give me that box” Yonghwa said as he grabbed the box from Seohyun’s hand and headed to outside.

Seohyun looked at his back with a blanked expression. She believed that there must be something that Yonghwa didn’t want to tell her.

Seohyun shook her head and whispered to herself “You’re overthinking Joohyun…”, after heaved a sigh Seohyun then followed Yonghwa to got outside.

***

(Seohyun and Yonghwa’s apartment)

“Oowaah…so this your new apartment Hyunnie?” Nicole asked in saw as she stepped in to Yonghwa and Seohyun apartment whose already fill with magnificent stuffs that was just ready to use.

“Ne…the address said so…” Seohyun answered, with a fainted voice as she also amazed by the interior and all of thise stuff that were already placed neatly.

Seohyun turned her head to asked Yonghwa “Oppa….ommoni arranged all...this…?”

“Oh…seems so… It’s a good thing that you don’t have much stuffs or else we couldn’t have any space to keep it”

“Whoaaa… Ha Ni aunty really has a good taste as usual…” Minhyuk joined in to prais his bestfriend’s new apartment.

Their new apartment located at the first floor, there’s two bedrooms on that apartment with a bathroom inside of both bedrooms, one study room, and another empty space who got turned into a mini library after Seohyun arranged their stuffs, a kitchen who already well-prepared with all-the-kitchen set, mini bar at the corner of the living room, the quite big living room, the little yard at the back, Seohyun loved the apartment already.

After hours of moving, lifting, carrying the stuffs and arranging things there, finally the were nearly done.

“Finish!!” Yonghwa and Minhyuk said in unison as they placed the last bookshelf at the mini library.

“Really? Same here!” Nicole said in a loud voice since she and Seohyun were in the room and put Yonghwa’s luggage.

“Well…you and your husband could arrange your master bedroom together, we won’t interfere” Nicole whispered, although there were nobody alse but her and Seohyun inside the room.

Seohyun blushed but then she smiled widely “Ahrasseo…” then she winked before she went out from the bedroom.

“Omo omo Seo Joo Hyun! What’s with that wink?” Nicole asked with her opened-widely-mouth as she followed Seohyun behind.

When Seohyun and Nicole were still arranged the master bedroom, Yonghwa and Minhyuk were already resting at the living room. They were sitting and leaned their back to the couch. Minhyuk was panting, while Yonghwa was checking for his phone, with a troubled face.

“Waeyo Hyung?” Minhyuk who was sitting beside Yonghwa, asked him.

“Ani….” Yonghwa answered weakly.

Minhyuk move his body closer to Yonghwa and observed his face, then finally he found out what matter that was bothering Yonghwa.

“Ah….. I know that look… Must be something related to her, right Hyung?” Minhyuk guessed and stared at Yonghwa with a suspicious look.

Yonghwa knew that he couldn’t hide any of lie from Minhyuk. Eventhough it wasn’t that long for them became friends, they has been friends since their college year, but Yonghwa often felt that Minhyuk was the one who could read his mind.

Yonghwa sighed then answered shortly with “Hmm…”

When Minhyuk was about to asking him again, Seohyun and Nicole were finally there too after they had finished to put Seohyun and Yonghwa’s stuff in their bedroom.

“Oh…oppa…Doctor Kang… It’s been tiring, isn’t it? Uhm….how about if we go outside? It’s near dinner time afterall…” Seohyun suggested as she and Nicole threw their body to the couch.

“Ahh right! Time to feed my baby!!” Nicole said as she rubbed her stomach.

Nicole’s sentence somehow made Minhyk jolted and he asked her with a widened eyes.

“What? Nicole-ssi? You….baby…pregnant?” Minhyuk spoke in a broke sentence, since he was so surprised.

Then Nicole busy waving her hands and shook her head as a denial.

“Ani…ani….I’m not preg—pregnant…I was just soo hungry so I said that… Please don’t get me wrong Doctor Kang….I’m single…I swear….”

Minhyuk felt relieved, then said “Ah….so…it was like that…” as he leaned his back again on the couch.

Seohyun who was sitting beside Nicole was trying hard to hold her laugh, witnessing how her friend giving the explanation and even blurting out that she was single when Minhyuk didn’t even asked. She finally decided to help Nilcole.

“Don’t be surprised Doctor Kang…eventhough Nicole’s body is really slim but she eats sooo much, there’s always an empty space for foods in her stomach…” Seohyun said, with a smiling face then giggled when she looked at Nicole.

“Yah…” Nicole whispered as she elbowed Seohyun.

“Ah really? It was just the same with Minhyuk. He also eats a lot” Yonghwa chirped in.

“It’s amazing that there’s still a woman who doesn’t afraid of gaining weight… ” Minhyuk joined in but he bent down his head, he didn’t know why but he felt his cheeks were blushing upon saying that.

“Ah….ne…..” Nicole responded, as she also looked down and bit her lips as her cheeks slowly blushing red.

“Well then, shall we go now?” Yonghwa suggested, as he stood up from the couch and looked at the three people with a smile on his face.

“Ne!” Seohyun, Nicole, and Minhyuk said in unison.

Yonghwa was step ahead from them, but after taking four steps, he felt his phone vibrated, so he stopped and took it out, latter he knew that it was a called from his mother so he picked it up immediately.

“Ne…ommoni?”

“Oh…Yonghwa….have you finished the moving stuff and all to your new apartment?” Mrs. Jung said in the other line.

“Ne. We’re just finished. Wae ommoni?”

“Really? It’s a good thing then! Come home now with Joohyun, we’re having a dinner here, ahrasseo?” her voice sounded really happy.

“Oh? Jigeum? But, we’re planning to have a dinner with our friends”

“Ah jinjja?” Mrs. Jung sounded really disappointed, before she added “But, could you just postponed it? Omma and your appa already arranged this, he must be disappointed, oh Yonghwa?”

Yonghwa was silent for a while, to considered it. “Ahrasseo omma. I’ll tell Seohyun”

“Oowaaahhh….jeongmalyo? Ahhh….gomawoo nae adeul…Palli come home with Joohyun, okay? I miss her already”

“Ne…ne…ahrasseo…”

“Okay then. I’ll see you later!”

And just like that, the phone was cut, so Yonghwa slipped the phone back to his jean’s pocket and turned around.

“Waeyo oppa?” Seohyun asked directly.

“Uhm….ommoni and abeoji invited us for a dinner…so…uh…”

“Ah jinjja? Geurom….you’d better go now Hyung and Hyungsoonim…We could have another dinner together” Minhyuk offered.

“Ne…Doctor Kang was right, you should put a parents in the first place” Nicole said, then she smiled.

Seohyun bit her lips, “Jinjjayo? You guys are okay with this? I’m sorry, but it was just so sudden we didn’t mean to--”

“It’s okay Hyungsoonim, we’re understand…” Minhyuk said, giving her his eyesmile.

“Khamsahamnida Doctor Kang…” Seohyun smiled abck and nodded her head.

“Ayeee…don’t be formal…just call me Min Hyuk, Hyung already told me that we have the same age. Now, I’m not only your client’s brother, but I’m also your brother-in-law…”

“Ah…ne…Khamsahaeyo…Min Hyuk…”

“Geurom…How about having a dinner with Nicole-ssi, Min Hyuk-ah? You said that you’re also hungry right? The same with Nicole-ssi…” Yonghwa suggested, looking at Min Hyuk then to Nicole, seeking for an agreement.

“Ne?!” Min Hyuk and Nicole said in unison, then they looked to each other but in the split of second both of them threw their vision to another direction, hiding their flustered.

“It’s a good idea oppa! Who knows both of you could be a good friends?” Seohyun also joined in.

Min Hyuk then busy touching his hear and shyly asked Nicole.

“Uhm…I don’t mind with it…uhm..how about you, Nicole-ssi?”

Nicole was suddenly busy playing with her fingertips, she wanted to screamed “YES!” loudly, but she knew she had to behave. So, with a calmer voice, she answered him.

“Ne…it sounds great….”

Min Hyuk looked up and dared himself to looked at Nicole.

“Really? But….I don’t bring my car, is it okay if we could just take a taxi?”

 

It’s even okay if we’re just take a walk, as long as I’m with you, Doctor Kang.

 

“Yeah...I’m fine with that…” Nicole said, couldn’t hid her wide smile.

“Okay then, let’s go now and let Hyung and Hyungsoonim prepared themselves to meet the parents”

“Sure!” Nicole exclaimed.

After picking up her things and checked herself for the last time at the mirror, Nicole whispered to Seohyun “Hey, don’t be too tired okay? And don’t forget to take your medicines”

“Ne…omma…Palli kha, Doctor Kang’s waiting for you”

Just like that Nicole and Minhyuk excused themselves and left the apartment. Yonghwa paid the workers, while Seohyun standing beside him and saying her "Khamsahamnida" and "You've worked hard" to the workers. After that, Yonghwa and Seohyun also prepared themselves for the dinner. They had take a bath first before leaving the apartment. After taking his clothes, Yonghwa went to the guestroom to take a bath and changed his clothes while Seohyun using the bathroom in their master bedroom.

Around 30 minutes, they were ready to leave the apartment and headed to Yonghwa’s house. Seohyun wore a simple yellow mini dress, completed with a white lacy cardigan while Yonghwa also wore a simple thing, a black jeans and brown shirt with a folded long sleeves until his elbow. Seohyun got flustered after seeing her husband appearance, whatever he wore always made him looked perfect in her eyes,

“Ready?” Yonghwa asked.

“Ne…”

When they walked out from their apartment, Yonghwa stole a glance at Seohyun, that made him smile unknowingly, after seeing her presence. Together they reached the parking lot, and headed to Yonghwa’s house. Inside the car, Seohyun couldn’t stayed still, she looked really nervous for she’s going to have her first dinner with Yonghwa and his parents. One second, she got busy fixing her hair, at first she loosened it but then she decided to tied it into a ponytail, but in three seconds, she loosened it abck and now she was busy fixing her dress. Her behave somehow gained attention from Yonghwa, he looked at her, didn’t understand what was she really doing. Seeing Seohyun looked uneasy, he decided to asked her.

“What is it Seohyun? You left something in the apartment?”

“N—ne ? An—aniyo… I was just…Uhm…do I look okay oppa? I mean, what I’m wearing right now won’t bother ommoni and abeoji, right?” She asked, still in a flustered tone.

Yonghwa chuckled. “So it was because of that? Hahaha…”

Seohyun frowned. “Oppa, why are you laughing? Please answer me oppa, did my clothes inappropriate?”

That made Yonghwa laughed louder. He looked at Seohyun, and found that the girl was looking at him in confusion.

“Haha…ani…mian… No, there’s nothing wrong with your clothes, trust me”

“Really? But what if ommoni and abeoji don’t-- ”

“You look beautiful Seohyun-ah” Yonghwa praised out of nowhere.

That sentence made Seohyun froze, her moth hang opened, and she could feel suddenly dry.

 

Beautiful? Did he really say it? Did he really think that I’m beautiful? Did he…praise me?

 

 Yonghwa was the same, he also froze by his words, he didn’t mean to say it, he didn’t know why that words were just blurted out from his mouth freely. Now both of them were silent, avoiding each other’s eyes, hiding their blushing face.

“Khamsahamnida…” Seohyun said in low voice, but loud enough for Yonghwa to heard it.

“N—Ne…”

Yonghwa’s compliment made the atmosphere turned awkward, they were no longer chatting, not even a single word, they were just taking glance at each other, and avoided it right away, when their eyes met.

Seohyun decided to encourage herself and made a conversation, trying to ease the awkward atmosphere. But, when she was about to opened , he heard Yonghwa’s phone vibrated. Once, twice, then she knew that it was a phone called.

Without looking for the caller first, Yonghwa put on his earpiece, and answered the call.

“Hello?”

“Yonghwa! Where were you?! Why weren’t you picked up my call?!” The girl on the other line were already shouting in annoyed at him, didn’t even bothered to said “Hello” first.

Yonghwa knew who she was.

“Oh…Shin Hye-yah…mianhae…I was busy…” Yonghwa said, lowering his voice, hoped that Seohyun didn’t paid attention with what he’s doing right now.

But he was wrong, though Seohyun looked at the vision through the car window, but her ears paid fully attention to his conversation with whatever he talked to on the phone. Seohyun got alarmed, once she heard Yonghwa mention about Shin Hye.

 

Shin Hye? Seems like I’ve ever heard that name….But where? Shin Hye…Shin—Ah !  Was it the same Shin Hye at the former phone call? Why did she called Yong oppa?

 

“Tch! Busy you said? Busy with your wife you mean?” Shin Hye asked sarcastically.

“Shin Hye-yah….” Yonghwa could only said that, didn’t what he was supposed to say to ease her anger. He closed his eyes in frustration.

 

Shen Hye-yah? Seemed oppa really close with her…

 

“I want you to come to my apartment. Now!” Shin Hye ordered.

“…..I’m sorry. I can’t…My parents want to eat dinner with me…”

“Liar! You just want to leave and abandon me then have fun with your what-so-called wife, right?!”

Yonghwa looked at Seohyun, she could feel it, but she looked down, pretend that she was busy typing something in her phone.

Yonghwa lowred her voice again “I swear, I’m not lying! Please understand and don’t ever think like that… Calm yourself, we’ll talk later okay?”

“Suit yourself Jung Yong Hwa!”

“Ahrasseo… I’ll call you later…” and Yonghwa hang up and put down his earpiece.

Seohyun felt her tongue was so itchy to interrogate him. She really curious to death to just asked him, who is Shin Hye, what did she want, why she called him, but zero, she couldn’t uttered her words, she couldn’t even find her voice.

Yonghwa was the one who decided to broke the silence after the phone call that he got from Shin Hye.

“….. It was from…uh…my friend….” He stated.

 

Seohyun couldn’t hid her furrowed brows. Friend? Didn’t you say that she’s your patient?

 

“Ah…asking for hanging out with you, oppa?” She asked, tried to be as normal as she could.

“Uhm…yeah….sort of…”

“She’s your friend? Not your patient?”

“Huh? N—no…she’s my friend…not my patient…”

“Ne? What just you said oppa?” Seohyun asked in confuse.

Yonghwa frowned, “Didn’t you asked me whether Shin Hye is my friend or my patient?”

“Ne?! I said that?” Seohyun responded in a loud voice with a widened eyes.

Yonghwa looked at her in a confused look, he couldn’t understand her, how come she forgot what she was just saying only in seconds.

Seohyun was startled, didn’t understand herself. She was just saying it in her own minds, how come she carelessly blurted it out to him.

 

Paboo paboo paboo paboo!!! Seohyun cursed herself.

 

“……and what was your answered, oppa?” Seohyun decided to heard his answer once again.

“Ne? Oh…about that…I said she’s my friend, not my patient….”

 

After hearing his answered for the second time. Seohyun didn’t said or responded anything, she threw her vision to the car window. She felt that she lost all her will to make a conversation with him. She felt her tongue turned bitter…and bitter…and bitter…

 

Why are you lying to me oppa? She silently asked in her mind but found nothing as the answered. In return, she felt her eyes got warmer, but she tried her best to hold it and never let the crystal from her eyes trickled.


I know this and I know that if I love you, only I will get hurt
But what do I do with these painful tears that won’t stop?

You, who I can’t have, you won’t know
All day, I secretly hide my love

 

 

***

Back to the habit, the rest of their way to Yonghwa’s house but nothing but silence. Both of them were sinking in their own minds. Yonghwa started to feel uneasy after lying to Seohyun, again. While Seohyun was throwing her question for Yonghwa to herself that only caused she couldn’t find any definite answer for it.

“We’re here! This is my home…” Yonghwa announced, as he stopped the car in front of the huge gate and turned off the engine then he unbuckled his seatbelt.

Seohyun also followed him to unbuckled her seatbelt, while saying “Then…It’s my second times here…”

“Huh? Second time?” Yonghwa turned his head to looked at him.

Seohyun smiled and nodded, “Ga Eun onnie’s wedding, remember?”

“Ah…right…of course! Well, let’s get in, my parents must be waiting for us” Yonghwa smiled.

“Ne…” She smiled back, trying to give her cheerful smile and hiding the pain inside.

 

I couldn’t ruin this dinner just because of my foolish mind. Hwaiting Joo Hyun!

 

“Na-yah…” Yonghwa said through the intercom that was placed beside the wooden gate.

Then the gate opened widely, letting the owner of the house to come in. Together they walked side by side and entered the house. In the front door, Yonghwa was being welcomed by his mother that was already waiting for him and Seohyun.

“Aigooo.. nae adeul…finally you came!” Mrs. Jung stepped closer to him, spreading her hands.

Yonghwa hugged her while saying “Annyeong omma. Miss me?”, then he released her form his embrace.

“Of course! But I miss my daughter more. Come here dear…” Mrs. Jung said and winked at him, then she turned her body to face Seohyun.

“Annyeonghaseyo ommoni…How have you been?” Seohyun greeted with a smile and bowed lightly.

Ha Ni just answered her with smile and slowly pulled Seohyun to her embrace.

“It must be tiring for you after the moving stuffs and all….”

Seohyun leaned back as she felt Mrs. Jung released her from her embrace, but now she was holding her hands.

“Aniyo…not really….oppa and our friends, also with the workers help us, so it’s not that tiring ommoni…”

“Geurae? But still…I’m really sorry that I and your abeoji couldn’t come to help you, I was preparing for our dinner and he was busy at the hospital, so…”

“No… It’s alright ommoni…please don’t be sorry…You’ve already prepared everything for us, really thank you so much ommoni…”

“Ah…so you like the interior? I was the one who set it all up, well your father also helping me, but it was just a little…”

“Ne…thank you so much, it’s really beautiful, we like it so much ommoni, right oppa?” Seohyun asked Yonghwa, silently asking him to joined in the conversation.

“Ne, thank you omma” Yonghwa answered shortly.

“Ani. It’s nothing! Well, let’s move to the living room while waiting for your father, he’ll come here in a minute…”

“Ne…” Yonghwa and Seohyun said in unison as they followed Ha Ni behind, headed to the living room.

They were sitting comfortably on the couch at the living room. Exchanging their daily story, about works, patient, client, and everything. Mrs. Jung informed that Ga Eun will come to Seoul around next month for summer holiday. And both Yonghwa and Seohyun cheered happily for the information. Times already showed 06.30 PM, when they heard someone stepped in the room followed by the man voice that said “I’m home…”

“Ne…Yeobo…” Mrs. Jung stood up, proceed to approached her husband.

Seohyun and Yonghwa also got up when they saw Mr. Jung was arrived at the living room, along with Mrs. Jung who stood behind him and carry his briefcase.

“Annyeonghaseyo abeoji…” Seohyun greeted first while bowing her body lightly.

“Annyeong abeoji” Yonghwa followed to greet him and nodded his head.

Mr. Jung smiled and nodded his head, then he stepped closer to the newlyweds couple.

“Annyeong my childs…”

“Have you been well abeoji?” Seohyun asked, beautiful smiled plastered on her face.

“Oh…thank you. How about you?”

“I’ve been well too, khamsahmnida abeoji…”

Mr. Jung leaned closer to Seohyun then hugged her for a second, and patted her back.

“It’s good to hear that…”

Then he turned to hugged Yonghwa tight, “Adeul….” he said.

Yonghwa smiled then hugged him tightly. “Hospital was annoying lately, right abeoji?”

Mr. Jung released him then laughed. “I start to think that maybe I could just quit being a doctor and starting to opened the ddeokbokki stall instead”

“I’ll gladly join you then” Yonghwa responded then together, they all laughed, filling content just by sharing a little joke from the family members.

 

After Mr. Jung took a bath and got changed to a more comfortable clothes, they started the dinner. They were busy eating at first, cherishing the delicious food that Mrs. Jung and the maid prepared for them.

“Was the food okay for you Joo Hyun-ah?”

“Ne…it’s all delicious ommoni…khamsahamnida…”

Mrs. Jung smiled then said “Ne…please eat more… I’ve prepared these for you…”

“Huh? Only for Seohyun then what about me?” Yonghwa asked, acting that he got annoyed.

Mrs. Jung chuckled. “I’m already bored with my son, now I want to be around my daughter-in-law more often. Don’t you think so yeobo?”

Mr. Jung nodded while munching his food. “Ne…well honestly, I had enough with my son. Here Joo Hyun…eat this more…” Mr. Jung said as he gave Seohyun the slice of salmon with his chopstick.

Seohyun lifted her chopstick and took the slice from the father-in-law as she said “Ne…gomawoyo abeoji…please eat more too….”

Yonghwa gasped, he got envy when his parents were more concerned to his wife than himself “Ommoni…abeoji…”

“Wae?” Tha parents asked in unison, both also showing the teasing expression.

“Aish! I won’t eat again!” Yonghwa exclaimed, as he put down his chopsticks harshly and made the noisy voice as they hit the ceramic bowl.

But his action only gained a merry laughed from the family member, including Seohyun who giggled silently, witnessing the childish behavior of her husband.

 

***

(Living Room)

“I really want to visit your new apartment soon, right yeobo?”

“Ne…maybe weekend? We could have another dinner together, and we must invite Young Ahl and Dae Han too!” Mr. Jung suggested.

“Of course! We should celebrate it together with Joohyun’s parents!” Mrs. Jung agreed, and clapped her hands.

“Ah! How about next month? When Ga Eun comes here for the summer holiday” she added.

“Yeah great! How about that Yonghwa? Joohyun?” Mr. Jung asked.

“It sounds great ommoni, abeoji, I’ll inform my parents immediately…”

Mr. Jung nodded and smiled, he looked at Yonghwa, seeking his opinions, but his son was just silent.

“Yah Yonghwa! Why are you so quiet? Are you still annoyed for the dinner? Aigooo…” Mrs. Jung commented.

But Yonghwa remained silent, just stared blankly at his glass. Seohyun tapped his right hand lightly, informing him that the parents were asking him.

“Huh? What did you say ommoni?”

“Aigoo…jeongmal…You didn’t even paid attention to my words, huh?” Mrs. Jung said in annoyed.

Seohyun whispered to him, telling him what was just his mother asked.

“Oh…about that… Well, next month sounds good too, I don’t mind it”

Mrs Jung gulped her water before she announced “And Yonghwa, I’ve told Suk Jin to bring your clothes, books, and all from your room to your apartment, he said that he’ll bring it tomorrow, so don’t worry”

“Ah really? Thank you ommoni”

“Well, now. May I have a little conversation with my son? There’s something I want to discuss with him”

“Oh ne abeoji…of course…”

Seohyun was about to got up, initiated to leave the living room, to gave the father and son some space to talk privately.

“No Joohyun, it’s okay, stay still. I’ll talk with Yonghwa in my study room, so just stay here and accompany your ommoni”

“Ah ne… Algeseumnida abeoji”

Mr. Jung turned to look at Yonghwa, and with a serious look, he ordered “Yonghwa ttara wa”

“Ne abeoji” he answered right away. Inside his mind, he was wondering what was his father wanted to talked about with him.

Then Yonghwa and Mr. Jung left the daughter and mother-in-law in the living room. They continued talking, mostly about Seohyun’s job as a psychologist. Mrs. Jung had asked her about what kind of client that he had handled since she was being a psychologist. Mrs. Jung also shared Seohyun the story about how she met with Yonghwa’s father. She was telling Seohyun that in their case, it was the love at first sight, it happened when their expense get accidentally exchanged, and just like that they were starting to meet each other until finally Yonghwa’s father asked Mrs. Jung to be his girlfriend at the ddeokbokki stall, and he was being rejected, it wasn’t because Mrs. Jung didn’t want to be his girlfriend, but it was because being asked to be someone girlfriend at the ddeobokki stole didn’t romantic at all, so the next day, with a bouquet of roses in his hand, finally Mr. Jung asked her to be his again at the Namsan Tower.

“He said that if I reject him again, he will left me right away and find another woman… Hahaha”

“Haha…Jeongmalyo ommoni?”

“Ne…he’s a playful person…”

“Ah… So Yong oppa inherit his playful side from abeoji?”

“True! And he also inherit the unromantic type from his appa side”

“Ne?” Seohyun frowned.

Mrs. Jung changed her expression, the laughed on her face was disappeared but it turned to a sincere smile.

“Joo Hyun-ah…. Uri Yonghwa is not romantic, he often act cold, but deep inside he is a caring person, kindhearted, always respect other, you can depend on him and he will treat you well, trust me…” Mrs. Jung explained, reaching fro Seohyun’s hand, and held it tightly.

Seohyun smiled and squeezed Mrs. Jung’s hand lightly then said “Ne…algeseumnida ommoni…”

“And please don’t get me wrong. I didn’t say that because he’s my son, so I was praising him, but I said that as a person, not as his mother”

“Of course ommoni, I understand…”

Mrs. Jung smiled, “Joo Hyun-ah…though your marriage was kind of an arranged marriage, but I hope you and Yonghwa could work it out. I admit, dealing with Yonghwa is really hard sometimes for he always had his own idealism, but I hope you could be patient with him, and worshipping each other. Stay next to each other and love each other for a long long long time, thus you could find your happiness even if just by standing side by side with the one you love, just like me and Yonghwa’s father and your mother with your father”

Seohyun’s vision got blurry upon hearing her mother-in-law’s advices. Mrs. Jung was the same, tears fall down slowly from her eyes, so she pulled Seohyun to her embrace and rubbed her back.

“Khamsahamnida ommoni…jeongmal khamsahmnida….” Seohyun whispered, as her tears was started to wetting Mrs. Jung’s shoulder.

“Aniya dear, thank you. Thank you for marrying Yonghwa and bring his smile back…thank you”

“Ommoni….”

They were still hugging fro a while, until finally Mrs. Jung released Seohyun from her embrace. She looked at her and wiping her tears.

“Alright. Enough with those tears Joo Hyun-ah, now I want to show you something” Mrs. Jung said then she lifted the photo albums from the table.

After flipping several pages, she exclaimed “Found it!”. Mrs. Jung took the sticking photograph from the album and handed it to Seohyun which she gladly accepted.

Seohyun took a deep look at the photograph, the were two children standing next to each other wearing the wedding suit, the little boy wearing the black tuxedo while the little girl wearing the small white gown that look like a wedding dress that made for children and one of her hand was linked with the little boy’s hand, both of them grasping the small basket that consist of flower petals. Seohyun could recognize the little girl, but not for the little boy.

Seohyun frowned then asked “Uh? This is….me?”, she lifted her head to looked at Mrs. Jung, seeking for her answer.

Mrs. Jung nodded with a wide smile, “And this is….Yonghwa…” she said, pointed her index finger to the little boy.

“Ne? Yonghwa oppa?” Seohyun asked in surprised.

“Of course! Don’t you remember? That both of you were the little bride and groom on Jin Soo’s wedding at Ilsan”

Seohyun looked up and furrowed her brows, trying to remember the event.

“Uhm…ne…I think I remember about Jin Soo samcheon’s wedding, but I don’t really remember that I also met Yonghwa oppa there…”

“Ah right! Both of you were just a little kid back then… Yonghwa was just…uhm..around six or seven if I’m not mistaken…you must be forgot…”

“Ne….it seems so ommoni…”

“But, you know what Hyunnie? I think you and Yonghwa are destinied to be together, you’re marrying each other twice! Well even if the former was just happened when you guys were still a kid, but this kind of reality was rare happening! Don’t you think so?”

“Ah….ne…khamsahamnida ommoni….” Seohyun responded, feeling her cheeks got warmer as the color turned to flushing red.

“Oh right!” Mrs. Jung then took a white envelope from the drawer beside the couch.

“Here…could you help me to give this to your abeoji? I need to go to the bathroom first, I’m afraid I’ll forget if I don’t give the letter right away. Just go straight and right at the corner, there’s the study room”

Seohyun took the letter then simply agreed “Ne…ommoni…”

Mrs. Jung stood up but after taking two steps, she stopped “Ah! And for the photograph, you could keep it, okay?”

“Ne…khamsahamnida ommoni”

She smiled, then turned back, heading to the bathroom.

Seohyun followed her mother-in-law’s order, she was walking towards the study room. When she arrived in front of the door and sure that it was the exact place, she lifted her right hand, ready to knocked the door. But something made her hand left hanging there, when she heard Mr. Jung words

“I’ve heard Shin Hye got back from States”

She didn’t mean to eavesdropped but she decided to didn’t knocked the door yet. Gripping the letter tightly, Seohyun rooted on her spot.

 

***

I want to smile and comfortably look at you
But because I love you, because you’re so precious
I don’t dare to approach you because of my foolish heart

 

After finished the father-son-talking with Mr. Jung, Yonghwa excused himself first for Mr. Jung wanted to checked out something first in his study room. He opened the door and got surprised when he found Seohyun was standing there with a blank expression.

“Seohyun?” He asked, frowning.

“Oh? Oppa…”

“What are you doing here?”

“Me? Uh…no…I was just wanted to give this to abeoji” she explained, showing the letter in her hand.

Yonghwa silent, and he started feel uneasy when he realized that there was any chance that Seohyun might heard his conversations with Mr. Jung.

 

Did she heard everything? Did she find out about Shin Hye already?

 

“Seo—Seohyun, for how long you’ve been stand—standing he—here ?” He asked, stuttering.

“Uh…I was just arrived…” she lied.

“Did you hear it?” He asked groggily.

“Hear…what oppa?” Seohyun asked innocently.

“Ah..ani…you said you wanted to give it to abeoji right?”

“Ne…”

“Well…go ahead, I’ll wait for you in the living room. It’s getting late, so let’s go home”

Seohyun smiled and nodded then entered the room.

“Abeoji…” she called.

Mr. Jung who were busy with a scattered files on his desk lifted his head and smiled once he found out that it was his dearest daughter-in-law.

“Ne Joo Hyun-ah?”

“I’m sorry for bothering you but ommoni told me to give this to you” Seohyun explained, as she stepped closer to the desk and handed the letter to Mr. Jung.

“What’s bothering? Of course not! And… thank you for the letter Joo Hyun-ah”

“Ne…abeoji…Keurom…I’ll go back to the living room”

“Ah! Yonghwa said that both of you are going to home already?”

“Yes abeoji…”

“Alright. I’ll be there in a minute, wait for me”

Then Seohyun excused herself, headed back to the living room. Yonghwa had a chat with his mother.

“Oh Joo hyun-ah? Come here” Mrs. Jung said after seeing Seohyun’s presence, patting the empty seat beside her.

Seohyun followed her order and seat beside Mrs. Jung.

“Abeoji said he’ll be here in a minute…”

“Ah ne… But, Joohyun-ah…did you really have to go home now? Tomorrow is Sunday, just spend the night here, oh?”

“Uhm…about that…” Seohyun looked at Yonghwa, asking for the answer. Since he was the husband, Seohyun was just following his suggestion.

“Your mother was right” Mr. Jung joined from behind.

He walked closer to the couch then continued “Tomorrow’s still weekend, spend the night here, okay? I won’t let you to leave this house though”

Mrs. Jung smiled widely, hearing her husband support her idea.

“Yeah…You could use Yonghwa’s room, it’s big enough for both of you” Mrs. Jung suggested and looked at Yonghwa and Seohyun with a pleading eyes.

Yonghwa lifted her hand, time showed that it was already 11.00 PM. “Okay, I think we could stay overnight, you don’t mind Seohyun?”

Seohyun smiled then answered “No, of course not…” then she looked at Mrs. Jung “Ommoni…we’ll spend the night here…”

“Whooaa! Gomawo Yonghwa, Joohyun! Ahhh…I’m so happy!!” Mrs. Jung cheered happily then hugged Seohyun.

“Ne ommoni…”

“I know this will be happening! I’ve already told ahjumma to cleaning and preparing Yonghwa’s room… and Joo Hyun-ah, you don’t bring any clothes do you?”

“Ah ne ommoni…I didn’t expect that we’re going to stay…so...” Seohyun answered, there’s a disappointment in her voice.

“Ayeee…don’t worry, there’s still Ga Eun’s clothes in her room, so you could use it. Come on follow me”

 

***

Do you love someone else?
Can’t someone like me live in you for a single second?
I know this and I know that if I love you, only I will go crazy
But this good-for-nothing longing makes me look for you

 

Seohyun chaged her clothes with Ga Eun’s pajama, it such a relieved that Ga Eun’s pajama was fit perfectly on her body. Bringing her clothes in her hand, stepped out from Ga Eun’s room that was placed right in front of Yonghwa’s room.

“This is Yonghwa’s room…hurry get in. From now on, omma won’t bother you. You don’t have to wake up early. Have a good night dear! ” Mrs Jung said then winked to Seohyun.

“Ah ne…good night to you and abeoji too ommoni…” Seohyun said, hiding her tomato cheeks.

Mrs. Jung walked downstairs while Seohyun was standing quietly in front of Yonghwa’s door. In the same room alone with her husband, was just something new for her and she wasn’t used to it, somehow it make her flustered and blanked her mind. She inhaled…then exhaled….after preparing and assured herself, she knocked the door.

“Oppa? May I come in?”

“Ne come in Seohyun” Yonghwa answered form inside.

Then she got in to the room, was feeling the atmosphere were already changed, it was warm but Seohyun couldn’t hid the awkwardness between them. She saw Yonghwa was busy with his phone, somehow his expression looked troubled and worried. She was about to asked him what happened, but Yonghwa uttered his words first.

 “Uh....well…since there’s only one bed, if you feel uncomfortable with it, uhm…you could use the bed, I’ll sleep on the couch” Yonghwa offered.

“What? No…don’t oppa…how could you sleep on the couch it’s your own bedroom afterall…”

“But I’m afraid you’ll uncomfortable if we…uhm..sleep on the same bed…you know…we committed to take everything slowly…”

“Ne…but I won’t mind if we…uhm…sleep on the same bed…you have a huge bed anyway oppa…”

“Alright then…in which side do you want to sleep?”

Seohyun walked to the other edge of the bed, and let Yonghwa used the side that near the door.

“Uhm…this side….” She decided.

Yonghwa nodded then sat on his bed “Ahrasseo…well…it’s getting late….we’d better sleep now…”

“Ne oppa…” Seohyun said, as she followed Yonghwa to sat on the bed.

Yonghwa was the one who lied on his bed, then Seohyun followed. The couple now lied on the bed, gripping the duvet tightly and staring at the ceiling.

Seohyun turned her head to looked at Yonghwa then said “Good night, oppa…”

“Good night” Yonghwa answered shortly without looking at her face and turned his body to the right, that caused Seohyun could only stared at his back.

Seohyunt smiled bitterly after the cold treatment that she had from Yonghwa, she decided to turned her body the left and stared blankly at the wall.

15 minutes passed with silence, but none of the were already drifted to the dreamland. Seohyun could feel that something was bothering Yonghwa for he couldn’t stay still and keep turning his body. It worsen when she heard that Yonghwa’s phone keep vibrating. She wanted to asked him, but after seeing his cold treatment earlier, she was afraid that he’ll get annoyed if she asked him. So she decided to stayed still and pretend to sleep. She was just about to sleep, feeling her eyes slowly heavier when he felt Yonghwa woke up and sat on the bed. She shut her eyes immediately, pretend to be sleep, but she was curious about what was Yonghwa going to do. She heard his pone was vibrating again, then she heard Yonghwa picked it up.

“Ahrasseo Shin Hye-yah. I’ll get going now, wait for me”

Seohyun got tensed upon hearing the name that was just Yonghwa mentioned on the phone. She clutched the duvet and closed her eyes tightly. She felt Yonghwa stepped down from the bed, and she opened her eyes but she didn’t turned her body. She assumed that Yonghwa was changing his clothes after hearing the sound of the opening wardrobe. Seohyun closed her eyes back when she felt Yonghwa came approached her. Yonghwa sat on the bed, and observed Seohyun’s back for a little while.

“I’m sorry Seohyun…”

Seohyun felt Yonghwa stood and she heard the door was opened then closed afterwards. And just like that, Seohyun couldn’t hold the warm liquid rolled down to her cheek. Then she remembered with what she heard earlier in front of Mr. Jung’s study room.

 

You, who I can’t have, you won’t know
All day, I secretly hide my love
I want to smile and comfortably look at you
But because I love you, because you’re so precious
I don’t dare to approach you

 

Flashback

 

 “I’ve heard Shin Hye got back from States”

She didn’t mean to eavesdropped but she decided to didn’t knocked the door yet. Gripping the letter tightly, Seohyun rooted on her spot.

“And also I’ve heard that now she’s one of the neurologist at our hospital”

“Ne..majayo abeoji…”

She heard Yonghwa’s voice.

“I hope you won’t do something stupid with this current situation Yonghwa”

“What do you mean abeoji?”

“You know what I mean”

Seohyun frowned. What abeoji means?

“She was your girlfriend before she left you, and she was the reason why you lost your smile these past years”

Seohyun felt something clutched her heart tightly and that was really hurt her after hearing Mr. Jung sentence. Her hands was started to trembled, she clenched her teeth, wishing that it will give her strength to stood there.

“You’re married now Yonghwa. Once you want to do something stupid, please remember that there’s someone who have to take all of the pain alone, and she is your wife, Joo Hyun”

But Seohyun hearing nothing from Yonghwa, Mr. Jung was the one who dominated the conversation.

“Don’t disappointed me Jung Yong Hwa”

Silence. She heard nothing for a several minutes, before Yonghwa finally broke the silence.

“Ahrasseo abeoji”

“Keurae… So, you’ll stay here tonight with Joo Hyun?”

And Seohyun couldn’t focused for the rest of the conversation. She was busy with her own thought.

So…she’s not his friend nor his patient….she was his….girlfriend….

End of Flashback

 Shutting her eyes tightly and clutching her duvet, her shoulder was started to trembling as she felt the pain inside her heart getting bigger and hurt her more. Her soft cried turned into a loud sobbed but she covered with her right hand, avoiding the noisy voice that might be came out because of the sobbed.

 

Grandma..what should I do? What am I supposed to do? Grandma….please give me the answer…

 

Now I don’t even have tears, I just have a blank heart

It actually hurt less when I was crying

I’m afraid that I might never see you again, that we might get separated

So I can’t say anything and can only pound on my heart

I love you, I loved you, these are words I never once said

A foolish and good-for-nothing heart, that’s the only love I can do

 

*********************************************************************************************************

ANNYEONGHASEYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WTRF READERS ^^

So, how was it? Did you had fun upon reading another lengthy update from me?

Well, at first I was planning to update after my "theses-judging" but the storyline was just kept echoing and floating in my head. So, yeah, I ended up writing it

I hope it won't make you disappointed and I  really hope you'll like it.

WELCOME TO MY NEW READERS AND SUBCRIBERS... ^^

And... I LOVE YOU MY LOYAL READERS AND SUBSCRIBERS. WTRF IS NOTHING WITHOUT YOU GUYS, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR KEEP SUPPORTING THIS FF. GOD BLESS YOU ALL :D

 

ENJOY READING, EVERYONE ^^

Really hope you could comment and subscribe this FF. Thank you and have a nice day ^^

 

 

PS: Could you guys please wish me luck for my "thesis-judging" next week? It's really torturing me lately. Huhuhu