Chapter 1: What's With The Cat Ear Headband?

L.A. To Seoul

The screaming voice of her own woke her up from her 3 hours sleep. She was sweaty, her heart beat irregularly. Glancing over her huge dark bedroom, she felt calm, realising that she was in a familiar place, not at a cemetery. She sighed in relief. That was maybe her first nightmare after years. Being chased by hundred of zombies in the middle of the night with lighting strikes was not her favourite dream, well not everyone’s favourite dream. She reached for her iPhone on the small table near her king size bed, unlocking it.  It was 2AM in the morning.

After 2 hours lying awake on her bed, she decided to give up. She gave up on forcing herself going back to sleep. She grabbed the remote controller and the 42inch’ flat LCD screen TV on the wall, right in front of the bed. Her eyes opened widely when she saw herself on the TV, performing on stage.

Oh, the documentary that mom talked about the other day, she thought then raised the TV’s volume. That was maybe the first time she ever watched something on National Geographic Channel.

“Taengoo! Taengoo! Taengoo!”

She smiled upon seeing thousands of people screaming her name. Sitting down on her bed, she enjoyed watching the documentary of her own life, not aware of the time.

I don’t need to see all of this; I must not be obsessed with myself, am I? she thought then laughed, flipping through the channels. She stopped changing the channels suddenly on Fox Sports. She did not know why she was watching a sport channel in the middle of the night of course, but something caught her attention. It was a rerun of the last night’s baseball game. And what caught her attention? A girl. Well not really a girl, a lady, Asian, around the same age of her, at a baseball game. Cutely posing as she was about to pitch, with her eyesmiles that suddenly vanished when she pitched.

That’s the worst pitch for God sake, what is a girl doing at a Dodger game and what’s with the cat ear headband? she thought when the lady on the TV failed the pitch. Wait, wait..she…she is familiar, she grabbed her iPhone and moved slightly closer to TV. She then took a photo of the lady who was then being interviewed by an African-American lady host. She looked at her phone, and examined the lady. Who is this girl?

“Take it away, Tiffany Hwang”

Her eyes moved from her iPhone to the TV upon hearing that. Tiffany Hwang? She thought then raised the volume again.

“It’s time, for Dodgers baseball”

Upon hearing the lady’s voice, her jaw dropped. She gulped, not believing what she just heard, not believing what she just saw. Tiffany Hwang? Stephanie Hwang, from high school? she screamed inside. What is she doing here? Playing baseball? Wasn’t she gone back to Korea like 6 years ago?

She then grabbed her phone and sent the photo she just took to her manager. Asking if her manager knew the girl. Waiting impatiently, she then dialled her manager’s numbers.

“Hello” she said once the call was answered. She gulped realising that it was 3AM in the morning. She knew her manager was going to get mad about it.

“Yah! What are you doing calling me in the middle of the night? And sending me a photo of a model? Are you out of your mind, Kim Tae Yeon?” her manager’s voice raised in annoyance. A model? Taeyeon thought.

 “Yes I am out of my mind. Is she a model? Do you know her? What is she doing at a baseball game? I haven’t seen her on magazine or TV commercial”

“Yes, a model from our homeland, South Korea. She just won the Asia’s Next Top Model recently. And was invited by the Dodgers to do the ceremonial pitch…why are you asking me all these questions for God sake Taengoo its 3AM in the morning!”

“Can you arrange a meeting with her, tomorrow? I don’t want a no as an answer”

“You’re very demanding, do you know that? I’ll try my best. But why? You like her?” her manager laughed at the end

“Shut up, Yul! Come on, help me. She is an old friend from high school”

“Okay, okay. I’ll ask around. Now, go back to sleep. You got rehearsal tomorrow”

“Right. See you tomorrow Yul” she hung up and quickly search for the photo again, and looked at it for about an hour.

Stephanie Hwang, finally found you again. Why appear now? Did you catch a hint from my song ‘When Will I See Your Face Again?’, huh? Stephanie Hwang, Stephanie Hwang, Stephanie Hwang~