The Unseen

Invisible

I was invisible. Nobody cared about me, they just ignored me. Bumping into me in the hallways of school and acting like nothing had happened was like a daily routine now. I had no friends, nobody to love. I was completely alone. Nobody cared to even learn my name. Maybe I should just go die in a hole, nobody would care anyway, nobody would come looking for me if I ran away. I lived alone in an old house that my partents owned before they passed away in a car accident.

I was not the prettiest of girls, obviously enough. I wore glasses and my hair was almost always up. The only time it was down was when I didn't have practice after the school hours had ended. I was on the track team, like that mattered. Still nobody paid any attention to me. I was like a ghost, always there but unseen and unheard.

Today was no exception, it was like any other day. A permanent frown imprinted upon my face as I walked down the hallway to my next class. Like always I sat in the back of the room. Setting my bag on the floor softly, I fished my headphones and music player out, plugging it in. Like it would matter if I paid any attention in class.

It seemed like forever until the bell would ring and we would be released to go to the next class that we would be holed up in.

"Park Jin-Hee, please stay after class," said the teacher. Everybody seemed to look around at the unfamiliar name being spoken of.

I looked up, none of the teachers cared about me, they just ignored me like everybody else. It still made no difference whether or not some other human knows my name, I'm cursed to be alone forever. I had given up on that kind of stuff a long time ago.

I stood in front of the teacher who had a stack of papers in her hands. Thumbing through them, she selected one in particular out of the group and brought it to my attention.

"These are your grades, Jin-Hee. They are suffering greatly to what they once used to be."

I nodded, I knew this because I stopped caring.

"I expect you to have them back up."

I nodded again, just to get through with it. I didn't say anything because I was afraid my voice wouldn't work, I haven't used it in a while since there was no need to. She let me go and I walked to the door to leave.

"One more thing Jin-Hee."

I turned, looking at her behind the rims of my glasses.

"Don't give up on yourself."

My mouth dropped open. Had I heard her right? I must have heard that wrong becasue nobody said that to me.

"N-ne," I mustered up enough strength to say and it came out better than I thought it would.

I walked to my other class in the vacant hallway, my footsteps echoing off the walls. The bell rang and I was late for the third time that week to this same class that was half way across the building. As I entered the room, nobody looked up from their assignment. Why would they anyway?

 

 

It was finally the end of the day and I had made my way to my locker. All I needed were my track spikes and a book with my homework in it. I walked out of the building with everybody else but instead of hanging out, I crossed the street to the chain link fence that encircled the rubber track. This was where I felt the most alive, when I ran and I could let everything locked up inside of me out, all of the frustration and sadness. I left it all on the track. My lips twitched up into a borderline smile as I crossed onto the bouncy surface.

I walked to the 100 meter mark and slipped on the spiked shoes, trading them for the ones that were a part of my school uniform. I ran a 100 in 12.98 seconds. Yeah, this was my one and only talkent. Too bad nobody knew about it.