The Project

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

“Come in!”

Soo-yeon let herself into the dean’s office. She immediately bowed silently. "Hello, I'm Soo-yeon Jung."

“Why are you here?” he asked in a strong, solid voice. His tone was a bit stern, but meant to give the silent message that everything he did was serious business.

“Sir, I was one of the students you addressed in your program this morning,” she said, politely casting her eyes down. “I asked few of my teachers this question right after the presentation, but they felt they could not give me a satisfactory answer and directed me to you.”

“What is the question?”

She looked up then. “Would it be possible to participate in illegal activities to investigate them for my project in the program?”

“What?” The dean rose from his chair.

“I know as honorable business people, we do not like to talk about illegal and corrupt activities,” she continued. “However, they do exist. We cannot expect the government be able to protect us from every evil in this world, especially if that evil is present in our government. Instead of turning a blind eye to them, we must understand how they work so that we can avoid the consequences of corruption or learn how to fight them. “

The man stood there, letting the words digest in his mind, then sat back down. “Have a seat,” he said as he gestured.

Soo-yeon obeyed, sinking into the leather seat in front of him.

The dean leaned forward on his desk, clasping his hands in front of him. “Perhaps you could explain how you plan to embark on this project. The image in my mind of what you plan to do is still not very clear.”

Soo-yeon took out a folder from her bag. “This is my proposal portfolio, which not only includes a brief summary on what I plan to do, but other documents that are necessary for my project. As you open it, you will see I have carefully prepared the qualifications the task demands. I have a certificate from the Seoul Police Unit 471, recognizing me as a temporary deputy, which means I have passed a mental health examination and a self-defense course. I will also have to report to the station on my findings and my plans at work in order to keep the title during my project. In return, I will not be prosecuted for any parts in crimes, as the police will guide me through so that any illegal action I must take will be minimal and will be done only to assure my cover will not be blown. I have a list of several businesses which have been confirmed by the unit to have dealt in shady actions. If you have any objection to any of them, I will cross those off the list. Otherwise, I will proceed to seek employment in those businesses in the order of priority that I have listed.”

The dean was silent for a few moments. Soo-yeon resisted the urge to fidget, making slow glances around the room.

Finally the dean spoke. “Your prior research is thorough and praise-worthy.” He put down the folder. “However, I still am not fully convinced that this is a good idea.”

Soo-yeon nodded, acknowledging his doubt.

“I will mull over your project proposal over the next week. Then I will contact you to tell you of my final decision. I see that you have included your contact information in your project proposal, would it be okay to contact you through those addresses?”

“Yes, sir. Thank you for taking the time.” She stood up.

He stood up as well, offering a small smile. “It’s no problem, Miss Soo-yeon. I see a determined, hard worker in you. May that discipline bring you much success in the rest of your life.” He offered his hand.

“Thank you, sir.” She shook it, and then went out of the door.

The dean sat back down and picked up the folder again. He went through the papers, and stopped at the list of candidates for employment.

1.White Hall Corporation.

“White Hall Corporation,” he muttered. He pressed the button on the intercom. “Miss Choi?”

“Yes, sir?”

“Will you bring in the list of the businesses Jung Fortune Incorporation has bought or dealt with in the last few years?”

“Yes sir.”

Within five minutes, a tall lady with her hair in a bun walked in. She handed a few sheets of paper to him. “Here you go, sir.”

“Thank you, Miss Choi.” He glanced at the clock. “Goodness, isn’t it time for your lunch break?”

She bowed politely. “Yes sir, but you haven’t taken your lunch break yet either.”

“Ahhh.” He chuckled to himself. How lucky was he that he had some loyal employees? “Well, Miss Choi, why don’t you take your break first? I will come out shortly.”

She stood there. “Pardon me, sir, if I’m being rude, but the last time you said that, you not only forgot to eat lunch, you also forgot you were to meet your wife at a restaurant for dinner. I will not let such a mistake pass my watch again.”

The dean smiled. “Well, if you would like to be satisfied, you may go back to your desk until I emerge from my office in a few minutes.”

Miss Choi bowed again and left the room.

The dean scanned the pages. He flipped through the packet until he found the name he was looking for.

 

White Hall Corporation.

Third Tier Subsidiary of Jung Fortune Incorporation.

 

“Interesting,” the dean muttered, crooking his head. He looked out to the Seoul skyline. The corners of his lips seemed to perk up as the natural light cast shadows on his face. “Very interesting.”