Always Running Away

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

Soo-yeon walked outside and went down the steps to a small patio. She sighed and sat down on the grass, putting down her lunch. Oh dear, Stephanie is going to be so embarrassed when she hears what happened today…

Yet for some reason she felt no shame. She knew that woman was stealing from the cafeteria since Soo-yeon noticed there weren’t any peach slices left on her third day at the cafeteria. That was okay-she preferred whole fresh peaches anyway.

But no one messed with Soo-yeon’s need for croutons in her salad.

“Hey.”

She swiftly turned to see Yunho standing on the steps. He was wearing a t-shirt and khaki pants, with a backpack on his shoulder. For some reason, every time she saw him, he seemed to be stiff. Maybe it was because his attire never seemed to be thrown carelessly together, like most guys. “Hi.”

“That was a wonderful scene you made back there.”

She shrugged. “I guess.”

“So you just leave, not even bothering to correct people’s impressions about you.”

“So you stayed to listen to their comments about me?”

“I didn’t stay. Why else am I out here?”

They stared at each other for a few seconds.

“Do you always run away from people?” Yunho asked, leaning over the railway of the steps.

“Do you always follow people when they don’t make sense to you and interrogate them with questions?”

“Nah that’s a policeman’s job. Or a psychiatrist.” Yunho walked down the steps, then tucked his hands into his pockets. “Do you never answer people’s questions?”

“Only if I want to answer them.” She looked at him, her hands playing with the edge of her jacket. “Did you eat yet?”

He shook his head. “I was more worried about you.”

Her hand stilled as his words registered in her mind. He’s worried…

“You don’t have to worry about me,” she said curtly. Suddenly her phone rang. “Hello?” she answered.

“Soo-yeon! Could you come to the apartment right now? It’s an emergency.” Stephanie said in an urgent voice, sounding she could tear up in any minute.

“Yeah, I’ll be there. See you in five.” She hung up and stood up. “Sorry, I have to go right now.”

“It’s been nice talking to you,” Yunho said as she picked up her bag.

She forced a smile on her face. “Same here.” Then she raced down the sidewalk to the subway station.

Please, please let it not be…