The Crying Sister

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

“What is it Stephanie?” Soo-yeon burst out when she reached the apartment.

Stephanie walked in, bringing a girl in front while hugging her. She nodded, not speaking. The girl was silently crying, her hair in an apple hairstyle. She had the same exact nose as Soo-yeon.

Soo-yeon’s eyes widened. “Soo-jung!” She reached forward and hugged the girl. “What are you doing here? Is Mom and Dad here?”

The girl, buried into her sister’s chest, shook her head.

Soo-yeon looked up. “What happened?”

Stephanie shrugged, biting her lip. “She just rang the doorbell and was sobbing when I found her. I tried calling you and her school, but no one was answering the phone. I was really afraid your sister was going to have a panic attack.”

Soo-yeon nodded and looked at the crying girl. “Hey, it’s going to be okay, alright? Jess unnie is here,” she said in a soothing voice, patting her sister’s back. “It’s going to be alright.”

Soo-jung quieted down in her sister’s embrace. “Can I stay with you?” she whispered.

Soo-yeon nodded and scrutinized her face. “Why don’t you go and sleep for a while? You must have been tired, getting here,” she said, leading her to her room.

The younger girl took off her slippers and adjusted herself on the bed as Soo-yeon straightened the covers and drew them around her. “Just sleep,” Soo-yeon whispered. “Let all your troubles go and rest.”

Soo-jung nodded and closed her eyes. Soo-yeon watched her for a few seconds, then got up and closed the door softly.

“What are you going to do?” Stephanie asked as Soo-yeon walked into the kitchen.

Soo-yeon shook her head. “I don’t know,” she said softly. “I would go and find out myself if I wasn’t that busy. If only my interview was next week…”

“Where are you going to sleep?” Stephanie handed a mug of tea.

“I’ll sleep on the couch. It’s not that bad, I’ve done it before.” Soo-yeon took the cup with a gracious nod and sipped. “I just hope she gets better soon to tell us what happened.”

“Are you worried?”

Soo-yeon nodded, her face adopting a look of anguish. “Soo-jung was supposed to be at school. What happened there?"

Oh, my sister...