Unlucky

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

“Wow, hyung, your father’s reaction must be really bad if you’re suggesting us to go to a club.”

Yunho closed his eyes as he sat in the backseat of the car. “It wasn’t that bad. I just need something to distract me from my thoughts and my workload.”

Donghae whistled through the phone. “Man, that girl must have really bothered you. Remind me, she was the only one who wasn’t looking around when the professor announced that someone in your class had received a perfect score?”

“Yup.”

“And she has an incorrigible fashion sense?” Donghae clicked his tongue. “Hmm.”

“Hmm what?”

“I don’t think I’ve ever known this girl. Well, you know I don’t hang out with girls that can’t dress well, but someone who has beaten you in economics out of all classes? You think she would have a reputation from the start.”

“I know.” Yunho looked outside the window. “Listen, I’m only a minute away from the club.”

“I’m really sorry hyung, but I have to work on business reports. Otherwise your father would tan my hide.”

“I understand.”

“Really, really sorry. But hey, if you get into a heap of trouble, don’t hesitate to call me.”

“Just so you can blame your laziness on me?” Yunho joked.

“Hyung!” Donghae whined. “I’m not like that!”

“I’m sure you aren’t. Look I have to go.” Yunho hung up. “I’ll take the subway home,” he told the chauffeur. “You can go home.”

“Are you sure Mr. Jung?”

“Positive. Take care of your family.” Yunho gave the driver a reassuring smile before he exited the car. He closed the door behind him, and only started walking when he heard the car leave behind him.

Once he was inside, he blinked as his eyes adjusted to the darker interior. This part of the club was only lit up by blue LED lights. Soothing guitar music was being played, as a musician in a corner finger plucked the strings. The plush couches in the middle room were empty, the dents in the cushions signaling that its occupants had just left.

Yunho walked over to the bar and took a seat on of the stools.

“The usual, sir?” the bartender asked with an expressionless face. That was why Yunho loved this place-the staff was personal enough to remember your choices, but professional enough to stay out of people’s business.

“Yes, please.” He folded his hands in front of him as he waited for the bartender to come back with his drink. Besides a few people on the side, he was the only customer. As a door opened from a back room, an employee-only area, he heard some beats from a heavy bass with muffled talking and laughs.

Of course, everyone is in the dancing area.

Yunho shook his head slightly at the thought. Somehow he was disgusted at the thought of celebration tonight.

“Sir?” The bartender had hesitated, Yunho’s drink in her hand.

Yunho quickly realized that his shake of the head had been misinterpreted when the bartender had come back with his order. “Yes, sorry. I was thinking about other things.”

She nodded and put the drink down on the coaster. “Let me if you know anything.” She then walked away and went through the back room.

Yunho sipped his whiskey, appreciating how the bitter taste scorched his throat. Stop it Yunho, you know you made your final decision when you wanted to walk away from that world. Yet still, the alcohol called to him.

“So there are people who don’t mind being lonely on a Friday night.”

Yunho turned and blinked. A woman with light colored hair and a sweetheart dress was leaning on the counter next to him at the bar. Her skin glowed underneath the blue lights. “I would say the same for you,” he replied.

She rewarded him with a pair of upturned lips. “Clever.” She sat down on the stool and gave a slight sigh. “I just needed a break from the noise next door.”

“Did you come alone?”

She shook her head, bringing attention to her dangling earrings. “I accompanied my friend.” She waved in the general direction. “She’s still in there.”

Yunho nodded, then offered his hand. “Yunho.”

She took it. “Jessica.”

He withdrew his hand after they shook. “Jessica…isn’t that an English name?”

“So someone is actually educated around here,” she teased as she signaled a bartender over. “A champagne please,” she ordered.

“Ahh, so we have a refined lady here,” Yunho commented.

“What did you expect?” Jessica took the glass, murmuring her thanks, and sipped.

“Seriously though, what’s your real name?”

She huffed, her polite eyes turning into a pair full of disdain. “So you think I lie to strangers so easily? That I wouldn’t appreciate the name my parents gave me?” She set her glass down, the glass clicking the counter, and stood up. “Good day, Yunho-ssi.”

“No, wait.” He grabbed her arm. She stopped, but refused to turn to face him. “I’m sorry that I offended you. Please, sit back down.”

“And have you go all bastard out on me again? Making assumptions because you think you know everything?” She yanked her arm away.

“Well, would you rather be lied to and be manipulated out of your life or question every single truth?” Yunho’s voice hardened.

“Even if I was liar, you dare to belittle me as if you know me? Good day,” Jessica repeated before walking away, her heels clicking on the tiled floor. Yunho watched her make her exit, her hips swaying slightly as she stalked across the room and exited through the door.

Yunho muttered some curses before downing his drink.

Why did today have to be so unlucky for me?