A Demon is Always Prepared

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

The room was silent with no movement at all, as if time frozen. The woman interviewer looked on calmly, making it aware she knew what the plan was from the start.

Slowly, a smile spread across Soo-yeon’s face. “I’m sure that’s not necessary, sir,” she said in a soft but even voice. “Especially since you’re missing this.”

She took out of her pocket the slide of a gun. It gleamed underneath the bright, fluorescent lights.

The man looked out his gun, his face reddening as he realized it had been reduced to a piece of useless metal. “But-but…” he blustered.

She tossed the slide to him from her seat. “You’re welcome to try to shoot me again,” she said, looking at the man straight in the face. “But that would not be my recommendation.”

“How did you do that?” The woman asked, wonder in her voice.

Soo-yeon smiled. “I know about White Hall’s code name system. I would just like you to know, my chosen code name would be Ice Princess if I’m considered. My true emotions will never be given away from my expressions, let alone by my lips. Especially since the threat of death does not scare me.”

The two interviewers exchanged glances. “Well, thank you Jung Soo-yeon,” the man said, his face expression stoic once again. It would have been hard to guess he had been rattled a few seconds earlier. “I believe that is all the time we have for your interview.

Soo-yeon smiled and dipped her head. “Thank you for taking the time to interview me. I hope both of you will make the right decision for White Hall in the following weeks.” She stood up and bowed, then exited the room, her stride confident as it had been when she walked in.

She smiled at the receptionist as she exited and walked down the step, her steps never faltering.

Only when she reached the subway station did she let her guard down. Her rigid stance collapsed as she sat down, sighing. “Oh my god,” she whispered in a hoarse voice as she started to tremble. “Oh my god.”

She buried her face in her hands. I can’t do this…I can’t do this…

No, I can’t turn away now. I have to do this for everyone.

She lifted her head and took in a deep breath. She sat up and resumed her composure, scanning her surroundings. Aish, I’m so stupid, someone could have easily targeted me in those three seconds.

She took out her phone and started scrolling through the business news.

“Yunho Jung will be taking partial control over White Hall in two weeks…”