A Taste of Ordinary

The Demon Wears Glasses

 

“Mmm,” Soo-yeon moaned as she took a bite of her enchilada. Sure, the food was “Koreanified”, but it was close enough. Her taste buds exploded after guacamole touched her tongue; it had been way too long since she last had any food that involved avocados.

“I’m glad you approve,” Yunho said, looking on with an amused look on his face.

“How’s your taco?” She asked.

“Good as always.” He flashed a smile and took another bite.

She was silent for a while, then turned. “How do you and Donghae know each other?” she asked quietly.

Yunho cleared his throat. “Well… we grew up together as kids. His father worked with mine, and our mothers were good friends. We’ve always been there for each other. He’s like a younger brother I never had.” He smiled. “There…there were good times.”

Soo-yeon remained silent, knowing that there were also bad times by the way his face went blank. It’s the same expression I have every day…

“How about you? Do you have any siblings?”

She took a sip of water, savoring the tingling feeling on her tongue caused by the spices. “I have a younger sister.”

“Ahh. So do I.” He smiled as he took another bite.

“Then you know what it means to be protective of them. You want to assure they won’t have such a hard time at life as you did.” She wiped her fingers as she finished her enchilada.

Yunho nodded and sat back, his plate as empty as well. “But you do have to let them go at some point. Otherwise they’ll blame you when they suffer.”

Soo-yeon nodded in agreement. “Instead of our friends,” she added with a smile.

He laughed. “Ahh, yes, that’s why parents are so useful. They can be the sources of excuses and take the blame for you.”

She smiled and looked at the clock. Oh dear.  She stood up, putting her bag on her shoulder. “I have to go now.”

He stood up as well. “Okay.”

“No, it’s fine, you don’t have to-“

Yunho already took his jacket and piled their empty plates. “It’s not like there’s anything else to do here after you’re gone,” he said, throwing their trash away.

Soo-yeon cursed herself for not remembering common logic. Anyone would make that argument. “Right.”

They walked out into the night. The streets had become crowded as street entertainers came out.

“What transportation will you be taking?”

“The bus.” Please, let him not take the bus. Please.

“Ah, a pity. I’m taking the subway back.”

Soo-yeon turned. “Isn’t the subway station-“

Before she could finish her sentence, she tripped on a loose stone in the sidewalk.

As she stumbled, she felt strong arms catch her. She gasped as the grip refused to let her meet the ground. What…

Heat rushed to her face. It had been so long since someone had hugged her, even if it was to prevent her from falling. Ugh, I’m acting like it was more than just a catch.

“Are you alright?” Yunho said as she gained her balance.

“Yes, thank you.”

“I’m sorry for the skinship, but-“

“You meant well Yunho. Thank you.” She glanced at her watch. “I’m sorry, but I really have to go now. I’ll see you in class tomorrow?” She smiled.

“See you tomorrow.”

She walked off and boarded the bus that just arrived. Once she was inside, she pressed a hand to her beating chest and look outside the window.

Yunho was still standing there, his hands in his pocket, watching the bus leave.

Why does he have to be friends with Donghae…