Chapter 39 (JUNSU'S AND ARA'S POV)

Timeless Love (aka Choosing Love or Eternal)

JUNSU’S POV

     Dancing with Ara and holding her tight, I was sure I was in heaven. It was so perfect. The whole world blurred around us and it was me and her and the pretty music guiding our steps. But the slow music didn’t go on forever, so we eventually stopped. But I didn’t want the magic to end. I wanted to spend the rest of the night with her and only her. However, it seemed that this was not a night for things happening the way I wanted them to.

We were interrupted by a scantily dressed girl who obviously belonged to a wealthy family. “Hey.” She stared straight at me. “Wanna dance?” She enticed.

I noticed Ara glancing at me to see what I would do or say. I shook my head at the girl. “No thanks. I’m here with my girl friend.” I pulled Ara closer to me, but the girl wasn’t discouraged.

“I can see that. But I’m sure she won’t mind. I just want to dance. What’s the harm in that?” She said this to me, but was looking at Ara, challenging her I guess. I felt like covering Ara. Then the girl turned her seducing eyes back on me. “Unless you want to do something more…” I felt Ara’s hand close around mine. “Besides this is a good song.” The girl went on light heartedly. “I like it, don’t you? It would be a shame not to dance to it, don’t you think?”

I place my other hand on Ara’s shoulder. “No thank you, I’m going to sit this one out.”

Seeing that I could not be convinced, the girl set her gaze on Ara and glared menacingly. I felt the urge to stand between them and block that girl’s stare, to place myself in front of Ara and shield her, protect her from whatever those eyes were trying to do. I pulled my hand out of Ara’s and wrapped it around her waist, pulling her away with me.

“Come on.” I said to her. “Let’s go over here.”

She went with me willingly, but her shoulders were still tense. I looked around for a quiet place to comfort her, but the distractions weren’t over for that night. EunHyuk and the others came up and tried to get me to sit with them. I looked at Ara, but she motioned for me to go ahead. Maybe she wanted a moment to herself…so I went, hoping she would be ok.

 

ARA’S POV

     Junsu was pulled away from me by his friends. They wanted to chat and make jokes and I let him go. I was sure they didn’t have much of a chance to hang out and I didn’t want to ruin anything. I watched him go and returned to the bar to finish my drink (and since I knew he wouldn’t come back for it and my throat was suddenly very dry, I drank Junsu’s as well). From a distance, I watched Junsu laughing and have a fun time. Was it just me or had the music gotten louder? The bass shook my insides so that I felt slightly queasy. Had more people managed to crowd into the club? The lights flash bright and faster—in time with the music and I squinted. I felt so hot and my throat was still dry, so I asked for another drink. But it didn’t help, and I knew why. It wasn’t the music or the people or the lights or the heat that was truly bothering me. It was fear. I afraid of losing Junsu to people I didn’t even know. I had set any sort of time limit on my wish—he could leave me at any moment. I looked over at him. Being there and watching him like that…I felt like he was in a totally different world and I was out of my element. Out world were so different… Tears filled my eyes. I didn’t belong in his world. Junsu… I can’t get to where you are. I shook my head and blinked my tears away. Why was I suddenly questioning his love for me after the time we’d just had on the dance floor? I have to trust him or I’ll lose him for sure. Doubt will only drive a wedge between us. He ismy world—I’ll fit where he is. I forced myself to calm down. I didn’t want to let this ruin my night. I wanted to remember this as a good date. All the same, my headache didn’t go away and the stuffiness inside the club was getting to me. I had to get out before I fainted. Gosh, wouldn’t that be embarrassing! So I pushed through the crowd, pressing against moving bodies. The moment I had to the room to do so, I ran.

     I burst out of the door to the club and was greeted by frozen stares. I blushed and ducked my head and they kept moving along the sidewalk. I took a deep breath and let it rush out of me as I sagged against the wall. The cool night air felt good on my red hot cheeks. Being out of that loud, chaotic environment, I could think more clearly and I felt a little better about the situation. I remember the good point of the night instead of all the times I felt uncomfortable. Watching Junsu dance for me…Dance with him like we were in a fairytale…And feeling protected by him when that girl approached us. I reminded myself that he could have argued the innocence of her request and said yes. But instead, he wanted to stay with me. I smiled. It had been a good night.

     Just when I was getting ready to go back in and face the crowdedness inside, Junsu came burst through the door much the same as I had before. But he didn’t pay any attention to the stares he received.

“Ara!” he looked around for me and when he saw me and enveloped me in a gentle hug. “Ara…” He pulled back to place both hands on the sides of my face and look into my eyes. “Are you ok? I saw you leave and you looked so troubled, so I followed. I tried calling your name, but I guess you didn’t hear me. Are you alright? What’s wrong?”

I smiled. He was this concerned about me? I shook my head. I had been foolish to doubt him. “Nothing’s wrong, Sweetie.” I hugged him tight. “I love you.”

I knew he was surprised. He didn’t hugged me back for a couple seconds and when he did, he bent his head down and buried his face in my hair.

“I love you too…” He mumbled into my hair and his breath warmed my scalp, sending tingles down my spine. “Are you sure you’re fine?”

I nodded. “Yes. I’m just not used to all…” I motioned inside. “That.”

He nodded in understanding. “Then do you want to go home?”

I nodded. I was tired now and I didn’t want to go back inside.