Chapter 20 (ARA'S POV)

Timeless Love (aka Choosing Love or Eternal)

     I jumped when my cell phone started ringing and I jumped again to answer it.

“Hello?!”

“Hi honey!” Said a female voice.

“Oh, it’s you.” I thought it would be Junsu. “Hi Mom.”

“Well, hello to you too. What is with your tone of voice? If I didn’t know better, I’d say you’re disappointed that I’m calling you.”

“No, it’s not that! I’m glad you called, it’s just… I was expected a call from another person…”

“And you thought I was that person?”

I nodded, even though I knew she couldn’t see me. “Ya.”

“Well, if you’re waiting for another call, I can hang up and—“

“No! No, you don’t have to do that. Just because I wasn’t expecting you to call doesn’t mean I don’t want to talk to you too.”

“Good.” I could hear the smile in my mother’s voice. “I’ve missed hearing your voice. I’m so glad you called the other day. Your father was happy too.”

“Where is Daddy?”

“At work. He’s working late tonight. But I’ll tell him you say hi.”

“Thanks Mom.”

“So, how are you? You haven’t caught a cold in this weather, have you?”

“No, Mom, I’m perfectly healthy. Everything’s fine. I’m good. My friends are good.” I winked at Kyung-sook and Eun Hye. “And they say hi. My classes are good. And yes, I’m getting enough to eat.”

“What about sleep? Are you getting enough sleep?”

“Of course.” I wouldn’t miss a single minute of dreaming about Junsu

“Good, I’m glad. Do you need any money? Your father and I can send some…”

“No, Mom, I won’t take your money. I have my own job, I can handle it. But thank you anyway.”

“Ok, but you will call us if you need anything, right? And I do mean anything.”

“Yes, mom, of course I will.”

“Are you studying hard, my dear?”

I nodded again. “Yes ma’am.”

“Oh, I’m so proud of you, honey. And you know your father is too.”

“Thanks mom, that means a lot to me. I know dad doesn’t really want me to be an artist, so his support means more to me than he’ll ever know.”

“Oh, Ara, your father wants you to follow your dreams, wherever they may lie.”

I grinned, not sure whether she meant that or if she was just saying it to make me feel better.

“I wish you guys hadn’t moved out to the country.” One change I’d found coming back to the past was that, after I’d left for college, my parents had moved out to the country. “Then I could visit you more often. But I promise I’ll be there for Christmas, ok?”

“Yes, well, city living never really suited me and your father has much more job opportunities out here. You know how much he loves woodworking. I honestly think your artistic side comes from him—whether he would admit it or not.”

I laughed. “Really? You think so? Ya, but still, I miss you guys and I wish we could see each other more often.”

“Me too, honey, me too. But it’s ok to be independent, you know.”

I nodded. That was one thing I was learning. Independence. Before, I had relied of my parents for everything. I had no really responsibilities. Now I had school and I still had a job. I had to take care of myself because they were too far away to do it for me.

“Ya, I know. It’s hard sometimes though.”

“I know it is, but you’ll get the hang of it.”

“I know, I know. It’ll get easier in time. It’s all part of growing up. I know.”

“Yes…well…I’ll let you go, honey. Don’t want you to miss whatever special call you’re waiting for.”

“Ok. I love you, Mom.”

“I love you too, Ara.”

“Tell dad I love and miss him too.”

“I will. Goodnight.”

“Goodnight, Mom. Bye.”

“Bye.”

     I only had one moment to think over how much things had changed since I made that wish before my cell phone rang again. I looked at it before answering. My first thought was that my mom had forgotten something. But when I looked, realized it wasn’t my mom’s number that was calling. It was a number I’d never seen before.

“Hello?”

“Hi Ara!”

“Junsu? You called!”

He chuckled. “Are you always going to be surprised when I do what I said I’d do?”

I blushed, even though he wasn’t actually there. Then I asked the question I’d been burst to know ever since he said he’d talk to him manager.