Chapter 18 (JUNSU'S POV)

Timeless Love (aka Choosing Love or Eternal)

JUNSU’S POV

     I’d never had so much fun with one girl. Just taking pictures and walking around and trying stuff on and riding a carousel. She made me laugh. She made me want to talk a lot. She made me happy and I couldn’t imagine being with anyone else. It was amazing. I never guessed that day in the café when I took pity on a helpless girl covered in smoothie that all of this would happen. I didn’t count on falling in love like this. But now that I had, I found out that it’s the most wonderful feeling in the world, to be with someone you know you can love with your whole heart—forever. It’s like dancing on clouds. When we took those pictures, I wanted to write all the mushy things I could think of on them, just so that she could understand just how much I liked her. Then she kissed my cheek and my heart skipped a beat. I never wanted to let go of her hand after that. I didn’t care what silly or ridiculous things she wanted me to try on, as long as I could make her the happiest person in the world. When she asked to ride the carousel, I was hesitant. All we’d eaten was ice cream and candy and that would be the last of my spending money. But I couldn’t resist those big brown eyes of hers and a vision of me holding onto her on the back of one of those beautiful porcelain horses popped into my head. Sitting so close to her that I could smell the perfume on her neck, under the lights of the carousel, spinning and rocking in time to the lively music, and hearing her giggle was like magic. The old man who ran the carousel smiled at us and let us go around a few extra times.

When we got off, he said, “What a lovely couple you two make.” He bowed to us, then put his hand over his chest and we bowed to him in thanks. “Thank you for warming an old man’s heart. May you live happily together for a thousand autumns.”

Ara and I smiled at each other and bowed to the man once more before leaving.

     I glanced at my watch and found that it was time to go before we were late for the fireworks. So we headed outside. I was glad I’d bought Ara a scarf. We had only stepped outside and she already looked cold. The wind was blowing and we had to drive right into it. Ara held on to me even tighter than before, burying her face into my back. Only then did I have second thoughts about the scooter idea. When we to the location, I pulled a blanket out of the storage under the scooter’s seat for us to sit on.

“This has been one of the best nights of my entire life.” Ara said, settling down next to me with her pretty scarf wrapped around her shoulders instead of her neck. “I’ll never forget it.” She leaned her head on my shoulder with a yawn. “Thank you, Junsu.”

I reached my hand up to touch her hair.

“Anytime…” Then, because I didn’t want her to fall asleep before the fireworks even started, I added, “Smoothie Girl.”

She sat up straight and punched my arm.

“Yah! Don’t call me that anymore! Is that the kind of thing you say to your girlfriend?”

I raised my eyebrows. “Are you my girlfriend?”

She slapped her hand over . “I mean, um, your date. That’s what I meant to say. Your date. Of course I’m not your girlfriend. Not that I don’t want to be, but that’s not really for me to decide, I guess. You would have to ask me first—if you want to! I mean, it’s really…” She stopped rambling and lowered her head so that I couldn’t see that her whole face had turned red with embarrassment.

I titled my head. Gosh, she looks so cute when she’s embarrassed. She refused to meet my eyes and pretended to be very busy with a small blade of grass. I leaned forward and kissed her cheek, making her look up into my eyes.

I took her hand and asked, “Will you be my girlfriend, Go Ara?”

Her eyes widened and she seemed speechless. Then that playful glint I remembered from that day she took me to the playground reentered her eyes.

“Only if you’ll sing for me.” She said.

I grinned. “Is that all? You want me to sing for you? I’ll always sing for you.” I cleared my throat and paused. “Kimi no yasashii koe kimi no mujaki na kao, maru de hidamari no you dakara. Dokomade mo habatakeru yo kimi no yume wo nosete. Kako no namida nuguisatte ageru. Itsumademo mamoritai yo boku no ude no naka de, shiroi toiki kasane awase nagara, afuredasu kono omoi wo ima kimi ni sosoide. Yawarakana toki wo kokoro furuwasete kanjita. Awai koi no uta kimi dake ni sotto utau yo.” (Your gentle voice, your innocent face, they make me feel like I'm in the sun. I can flap my wings as far as it takes, transporting your dreams. I'll wipe away your past tears. I want to protect you forever, in my arms, as our white sighs overlap, filling you with these feelings that overflow from me. I felt tender time, as my heart shook. I'll quietly sing a fleeting love song to you) I sang softly and caressed her face.

Then I kissed the hand that was in mine. “Now will you be my girlfriend?”

Her cheeks were blushed rosy and her eyes twinkled with tears, but she was smiling.

She nodded and whispered, “Yes.”

I wrapped my arm around her shoulders and she leaned her head against me again as the fireworks started. We sat like together until we both fell asleep.