Escape

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

The day had changed but both women are still sitting on the stool, facing each other blankly with cup of tea in hand. They want to say something, want to confirm something but none of them can speak. Both cannot accept the reality of the absurdity.

"Omma..." Mina finally breaks the silence. "Why... Why didn't you tell me?"

Her mother chuckles with no trace of humour, "what? And makes you think that you're not normal?"

"Do you... Do you remember her face?"

"Yes. As if it was yesterday. Since you reach 16, her face has been haunting me in my sleep" she says brokenly.

"Why 16?"

"She said something about maturity but I don't know what age is maturity. Some nations believe that 16 is the age of maturity" she explains tiredly.

Now that her mother had mentioned it, she remembered how her mother used to be before she reached 16. She was chirpy, free and always full of energy. Nowadays, she is still her positive self, but there is something that blankets her happiness.

"When you reached 16, I was shaking, trembling, howling with fear. When the time ticks 12, I cried like I've never before. Your father was completely flabbergasted. He knows nothing and I don't plan on telling him. I ran to your room that night and when I see you still sleeping safe in your bed, I fall in relief. The same thing happened on your 17th... That's why your father took me away this year. It's not to give you space for your party, it's to give me some serenity." She explains, staring blankly at the white wall.

"Omma..."

"I ran home as quick as I can and I saw you sleeping in your room... I was happy, glad, and becoming more and more certain that what happened that day was just a dream... I don't want her to take you, Mina... It's not fair"

"It wasn't a woman..." Mina says suddenly.

"What?" Her mother looks up.

"It wasn't a woman who approached me. It was men. Five men, to be exact..."

"Mina-ya!!! Then, those are just lunatics!!!" She furiously said.

"Omma, calm down! They did mentioned Gaia... And they explained to me about their world. Not much, but enough to creeps me out"

"Do you... Do you believe them?" Her mother's voice is shaking.

"I'm not going to leave you, if that's what you're really referring to" she quickly replies which made her mother's shoulder falls in relief.

"But I found out something, omma. Something about me..." She whispers, scared that the news might make her sounds like a lunatic.

Her mother looks at her, waiting for further explanation.

"I can... I can... I can tell animals what to do" she whispers, unsure of every word.

"Wh-aat?"

Mina sighs, "one of them asked me to call a squirrel and I did, and it listened to me. As if I hold a remote control to its behaviour"

"Are... Are you... I mean, are you certain?"

"Yes, mother. I wouldn’t joke about this matter" she says bleakly.

"Is that… Is it… Is that what they do? I mean, what you do?"

"I don't know... They showed me theirs and it's completely different than what I did... They said that they're--"

"No. I don't want to know" her mother stops her.

"But--"

"I don't want to know, Mina. Whatever it is, I don't think I am prepared to know. Just promise me one thing, don't leave me" her mother pleads.

Mina looks at her mother who seems to have aged 10 years since the moment she told her about her discovery. She looks tired beyond belief and Mina knows not to rebut her pleads. Despite everything that happened tonight, she knows that her mother shouldn’t feel the burden.

"Arraso, omma"

 

***

 

The day is bright and scorching hot and since early in the morning, Mina had been drowning in her own thoughts. For the first time in her school days, she spent the rest of her class time quiet; not even her loud breathing can be heard. She simply stays silent throughout the day while looking empty into nothingness.

Chaerin had been looking at her worriedly the whole day. She wanted to confront her best friend during break time but Mina decided to go to the library, disregarding her lunchtime. Chaerin would go and company her if only library didn't give her chills and itch.

When the bell rang, Mina doesn't think twice. She bolts right up and clear up her desk like a madman. She puts everything recklessly into her bag with Chaerin simply staring stupefied at her. As if Chaerin doesn't exists, Mina heads towards the exit. No goodbyes, no see you later.

"YA!!!" Chaerin yells maki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter