Party

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


The alarm has been ringing three times but she continuously snoozes it and hides her head under her blanket to try to catch some more sleep. It is when her phone starts to rings frantically on her bedside table that she reluctantly extending her arm beyond the blanket to make it stop by answering it.

“Yeobuseyo” She answers half awake.

“Yeobuseyo Ha-ssi, we have been waiting outside your house since 15 minutes ago” The other end says irritatedly.

Just like that, her eyes sprung open and she clumsily fixes her bed hair, gets off of her bed and dashes out to open her door gate. It all happens in a matter of seconds and it is possible due to her sudden rush of excitement.

“I’m so sorry… I overslept…” She flashes them an apologetic smile and they fazed for a second by her natural beauty. Her mini short and tanktop doesn’t help the men to clear their head, either.

“So, where do you want us to prop you… errr sorry, I mean prop this set…” The biggest man flusters.

“We are having the party in the backyard… Please come in” She gestures the man inside, unaffected by their ogling stares.

She walks inside the house after showing the helper where she wants everything to be located. Her party is surely going to be the talk of the year with it’s perfectly planned out activities, entertainment and theme. She heads towards the kitchen and pulls out a carton of milk and gulps it straight from the carton as her eyes continuously watch the men fixing up the set.

“Please tell me we have another carton” MinHo walks towards MiNa who leans on the kitchen island, enjoying her milk.

She smiles wickedly, “I finished it” and she gulped the carton empty.

MinHo looks at his beloved sister exasperatedly before he sighs, “Thank God it’s your birthday. If not, I’d whip you and make you go to the groceries… Happy birthday sis” He holds out his arm towards his sister who giddily leans her body onto his chest as he wraps her in a tight embrace.

“I’m waiting for my Ferrari” She mumbles on his chest and he chuckles at his sister’s wit.

“Yeah, gimme 20 years and I’ll finish build one up for you then” He ruffles her hair and let her go before he proceeds onto toasting his PopTarts.

“Is JunHyun oppa coming??” She leans forward with her elbow on the surface of the table. Her face is expectant.

“What happens if he doesn’t?” MinHo one eyebrow.

She pouts, “Then you fail at being a brother”

MinHo shakes his head, “You might as well confess… You’ve been eyeing him for years now”

Mina scoffs and sits on the bar stool, “I don’t chase men!”

“Well you can always wait until he marries some random girl” MinHo says uncaringly as he plates his PopTarts and staring at it longingly.

“WHAT?? Does he have a girlfriend now??” She shrieks on top of her lungs.

Yong JunHyung is MinHo’s bestfriend since they met during their first year of high school. JunHyung is a total opposite of MinHo. He is quiet, cool and often shows no emotion. He is the only man in Mina’s life who had never placed any sign of attraction towards her and obviously, she falls for his charm.

“Calm down!” MinHo shoved his sisters pestering head away from him, “Hell would freezes over before he even have a date”

Hearing her brother’s assurance, she sits calmly back on the barstool.

“He might be gay” MinHo mutters, much to Mina’s detest.

“He is not gay!” Mina objects but her brother doesn’t even bother to fight as he sees a note sticks on the refrigerator.

He picks it up and eyeing his sister, “Seriously, how did you make mom and dad agreed on giving you the house for the night??”

She held her head high and jumps off the barstool, “Perks of being the youngest and only daughter” and skips her way to her bedroom.

 

***


Mina’s smile doesn’t leave her face even for a second. Her phone, her twitter page and her Facebook are all flooded with congratulatory message. All of them hopes nothing but well wishes for her and she couldn’t be any happier. As she busy herself replying the messages one by one, her phone vibrates.

“Yeobuseyo?” She picks up the unknown number. No, it’s not an unknown number. There was no number shown on the screen but she believes it’s one of those technologies where you can hide your number completely.

Silence.

“Yeobuseyo?” She repeats.

Silence.

“Seriously, it’s not funny. Who’s this?” She becomes irritated.

“Congratulations on reaching your maturity” A hoarse low voice, with a hint of contentment speaks from the other end but before Mina could reply, the line goes flat.

She looks at her phone questioningly, dumbfounded by the random phone call with an unusual congratulatory message. She checks her phone history and strangely enough, the phone call is not on the list. As if the phone call was her imagination, her own little dream.

The phone vibrates again, making her jump. She checks the screen eerily but her nerves soon drops once she sees a selca of her best friend on the screen, signaling a call from her.

“ChaeRiiin~” Mina chirps.

“Seriously, early in the morning and you already have the power to go high notes??” ChaeRin complains, making Mina chuckles.

“What’s up?” Mina asks playfully, knowing fully well why her best friend calls.

“Nothing’s up” ChaeRin answers monotonically.

It takes them a few second to maintain a silence until they erupt into a full on laughter.

“YA! What kind of best friend are you??!” Mina yells in between her laughter.

“You know why I called anyway!” ChaeRin retorts.

“No I don’t!”

“Oh Shut it”

“What, so you’re not going to say it now? Is this what happens after years of friendship? Really now? You don’t even bother to come over… Pft!” Mina pretends to sulk.

“Geez! You’re the one who told us not to come!!” ChaeRin complains back.

Mina had specifically instructed her four best friends to not come to her house until her party starts because she wanted her birthday party to be a surprise for everyone. She wants her best friends to feel the surprise that her other guests will feel once they come to the party.

Mina chuckle at her best friend’s annoyed voice, “Arasso arasso... What do you want?”

“Hmph!” ChaeRin huffs but before Mina could reply, suddenly a soft and symphonic music flows from the other end and right on cue, Bom’s voice starts singing her self-composed jazzy birthday song. Mina stuns, surprise by the sudden orchestra-like performance from the other line. Bom places Mina’s name within the lyrics and it makes Mina’s eyes slowly dampen. She was about to go all out with her tears when a cat-like choir chimes in during the chorus and ruins the perfectly good performance. Bom is obviously startled by the choir but she managed to finish the song perfectly.

“Aww… you guys!” Mina wipes her eyes. “I didn’t know you’d do that! Thank you!”

“Minzy and Dara ruins everything though…” Bom grumbles.

“Oh come on, it’s not that bad…” Dara seems to misjud

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter