Minotaur

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina jerks to a stop upon hearing GD's warning from afar. She quickly looks towards their bench and she saw the boys being pitifully outnumbered by creatures she has never seen.

"What... what's going on?" Minzy stutters, noticing the scene before them.

All of the girls stop and watch in horror as the boys fight with the monsters from the distance. Neither of them could speak for fear completely consumes them. None of them has ever experience such things.

Mina notices how the girls could watch the whole fighting scene in detail before she shouts "TOP!"

As if understanding her thoughts, TOP's black smoke suddenly engulfs the girls, taking away their sight while protecting them from being seen by the monsters. However, as the darkness comes so suddenly and unannounced, it creates more panic among the girls.

"Aargh!!" They scream in unison, food and beverages they carry scatter down to the ground.

Fear that the monsters might hear, Mina quickly try to restore calm. "Guys! It's okay! It's fine!"

"Mina?? Where are you guys? I can't see anything! What's going on?!" Bom panics.

"I need you four to listen to me" Mina's voice is loud and firm and the girls have no option but to obey.

"Do not shout. Do not make sudden move. Try to not make yourself noticeable" Mina instructs.

"Noticeable?! I can't even see my own fingers!" Chaerin yells.

"Yes... yes... this black smoke is to protect us. So please trust me and don't panic" Mina finds an arm and squeezes it reassuringly.

Slowly, they manage to find one another by poking and feeling their surrounding. They create a tiny circle and hold each other secure. Nobody says a word making the grunts and the slashing sounds from afar much more pronounced.

"Minotaur!" Sol's voice ringing through the darkness.

As the word sinks into the girls' head, Chaerin and Mina, who studied Greek Mythology, gasps as one. Mina remembers what a Minotaur is. It is a grotesque abomination that possessed the body of a man and the head of a bull.

"Does he mean a real minotaur, Mina?" Chaerin whispers in fear. "I mean, they can't be real, can they?"

"What's a Minotaur?" Dara whispers, and by her voice, it is clear that she is shivering.

Mina can't answer the questions for she is too gripping in fear. She doesn't think that Sol would shout that word randomly given the situation and after all she has seen from that world, she doesn't think a Minotaur is too far fetch.

"VI!" GD's voice cracks and strained, "Take the girls home! Make sure they're save! We'll hold them off as long as we could! Now!"

His voice is the same as when he told Mina to run. When he was cornered. The painful tone in which he shouts order shows how the fight is not going the way they want it to be. Mina feels the tug in her heart and in that exact second, she has made her mind.

The black smoke disperse and VI stands in front of them with gashes and open wounds all around his body. He has one eye closed by big blue lumps he's supporting on the side of his face. The girls are too scared and shocked to comment.

"Girls. Follow me" VI speaks, he is no longer the everyday ball of joy that he usually is as blood trickles from between his hair.

"You take them home. I want to stay" Mina says as she guide the girls to VI.

"What?!"

"Huh?!!"

"Are you insane?!"

The girls finally found their voice due to Mina's insane request.

"VI" Mina address the man straight into his eyes. "You know I can help. Let me help"

VI struggles with himself for he knows that with such big power, Mina could significantly improve the chances of their winning, but his moral obligation wouldn't let a girl help him fight.

The girls look interchangeably between VI and Mina in horror. They couldn't believe that Mina staying is even an option. What could've Mina, a tiny girl, does to help?

"Please hurry. We don't have much time" Mina begs to VI as she saw from the corner of her eyes, the Minotaur charging towards GD.

VI nods and quickly turns to lead the girls to safety. "Come on, I'll take you home"

"No!" Chaerin stomps her feet. "I'm not leaving Mina!"

Mina take a step towards her best friend and grabs her hands. "Please go... VI can protect you. I have to help the others."

"What do you mean help?! You can't fight!" Chaerin's tears are pooling in her eyes.

"Chaerin-ah..."

Out of no where, Mina felt something sinister coming from behind. In a second, her senses awaken. She feels the earth rumbles as the creature approaches and her body immediately burns from the inside.

Before VI could shout and warn her of the coming danger, she has already taken action.

The ground behind her shakes violently and just as the creature gets close enough, it forms two walls on either side of the creature. She turns to face the monster, raises her hand to her chest and her hands mimics the wall, each palm facing each other. She closes the gap between her palms and the soil wall closed up on the monster, producing a sickening crunch. As the wall melt back into ground, the creature falls with a thud, shapeless and bloodied.

VI whistles in appreciation. "See, girls? Don't underestimate her. She can fight"

Mina turns back to her friends and with begging eyes, "Please go. We can't fight and protect you at the same time. I will explain everything after this is over"

The girls nod in unison, still have their mouth agape from the shock of seeing Mina with her power. They let VI ushering them away while eyeing Mina, praying that she will be okay.

Mina runs towards the fight as soon as the girls are away with VI. The creatures hiss excitedly as if they notice who she is. Some quickly changes directions and moves toward the incoming girl.

GD quickly realise that Mina is not planning on leaving and anger rises inside him, "What the hell are you doing here! I told you to go! Leave!"

Mina ignores GD as the tree around her dances. The creature slithers towards her and a tree branch quickly grabs its tail and trashes the creature around until it moves

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter