Mischief

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Mina skips her way home happily, singing tunes that are currently playing in her head. She doesn’t remember what happened earlier at school. She can’t recall what her friends talked about at the cafeteria. She doesn’t even know what she ate for lunch. She is too preoccupied with her thoughts. She is too happy for tonight. Too too happy for something that she has been waiting for all her life.

 

Okay, ‘all her life’ would be an exaggeration but she have been waiting for this for a long long time.

 

She couldn’t sleep last night from over-happiness. Her lips couldn’t get rid of the stupid grin that it etched since the moment he asked her on a date; a date with someone whom she has been praying, wishing and even begging to notice her. Her mind is now too busy picturing their family pictures and babies when they get married. Yes, she likes to imagine way into the future.

 

After everything that happened to her lately, she believes that she deserves this. All those bad luck that has been set upon her, finally a good and bright luck is set off. She thank God for she thinks that God has finally answered her prayers after she has been patient in handling those five mental institutions kids.

 

'Wait. Those kids! What am I going to tell them?!' Her fantasy of happily-ever-after suddenly turns blurry.

 

“You’re pale” VI’s voice come out of nowhere, surprising her. “You’re either scared or nervous”

 

She finds him sitting on top of a high concrete wall just a couple of meters in front of her. VI and the boys have been following her, non-stop. From the moment she got out of her house, to this second, everyone has their eyes on her. The last event shook them to the core and now they realise the seriousness of this mission.

 

“What the heck are you doing sitting on the fence like that!!” She slaps his dangling feet because his head is way too high for her to reach.

 

“Or it could be that she’s sick” GD’s voice is on her right.

 

Suddenly a palm cups itself on her forehead and when she turns, she sees GD is scrunching his forehead and closing his eyes as he feels her temperature.

 

“Aish! I’m not sick!” She slaps his hand away.

 

“Maybe she sees ghosts” DL’s suddenly materialize as his voice shook in sudden fear.

 

“You’ve fight Manticore, Harpies, Charybdis, and yet you’re shaken by the thought of ghosts” TOP jerks DL’s head forward, making the latter yelps.

 

“Hey!” DL protests, “I can see Manticore and friends, but ghosts??” He looks around with suspicions eyes before he whispers eerily, “They could be anywhere”

 

“Yeah, they could be behind you!” Sol suddenly appears behind DL and tickles his nape, turning DL’s legs into jelly because of fear.

 

“Don’t do that!” DL’s voice shook even more.

 

“What are you guys doing here?!” Mina asks in exasperation.

 

All of them turn their attention back to Mina with innocent eyes. They almost forgot that Mina exists the moment DL starts his discussion about ghosts.

 

“We were following you” DL says simply, as if it’s not a big deal.

 

“WHYY?” Mina wails.

 

“Because of what happened yesterday” TOP answers.

 

“I don’t think she likes being followed by us” GD is studying Mina’s expression.

 

“Well, what do you think?!” Mina snaps back.

 

“You were ambushed and outnumbered yesterday because four of us were busy eating tteokbbokki. Now we’re not even allowed to sit when we eat” VI sighs as he lays his back down on top of the fence.

 

“Jiyong oppa!” Mina slaps GD’s arm, “Don’t do that! They have to eat properly!”

 

“YA! Why the heck did you slap me for?! Who the hell is Jiyong! I’m GD!” GD retorts back. He looks at Mina angrily but deep within him, his insides stir when Mina called him ‘oppa’.

 

“Jiyong is you! Moron.” Mina rolls her eyes.

 

“Ah… the name!” Sol is the first who remembers, “Ya, maknae! Get down here and be a normal citizen!”

 

“Don’t call me that! I’m not a kid!” VI replies, sulking.

 

“Maknae! Do what your hyung tells you!” TOP joins in, grinning as he now remembers his new found ‘power’.

 

“What the heck is this?! It’s not fair!” VI cries.

 

GD sighs, noticing another commotion is going to erupt, “Just come down” He says monotonically and VI knows that tone means business so he unwillingly obliged

 

Sol immediately drapes his arm on VI’s shoulder the moment he joins the circle, “Let’s go, shall we? I think now that we know what you can do, the training will be more fun!”

 

“KA-JA!” DL cheers excitedly.

 

All day, the boys have been talking about Mina’s power non-stop. Imagining how it would be if it was to be expanded. Imagining how amazing the team would be if she joins in their forces. All day, the boys have been planning on a range of new trainings to stretch her power to its limit.

 

Little do the boys know, GD’s head is nowhere mirroring their excitement. Every time the boys talk about Mina’s power, his guts would flip. When DL suggests an extreme training regime, GD had to suppress his yell of fear. When VI comes up with an idea of a mock attack, GD had to clench his fist tightly so it that it doesn’t reach VI’s face.

 

His head is filled with the image how Mina falls down onto the hard concrete that night. He can see it happens again if they were to push her limits.  The fear that enveloped him when Mina turns pale and fall face first to the concrete was excruciating for him. He never felt so scared in his life, not even when his parents leave him.

 

But he knows he shouldn’t tell his comrades. This… feelings that he feels, he knows he shouldn’t have them. In his head, feelings are something that weakens you; take away your common sense and your ability to think rationally. Feelings are bad, especially if you’re a warrior. Now he just had to think of a way to get rid of these feelings once and for all.

 

The boys are all happily walking towards the park with Mina walks in the middle of them. GD is to her right and he notices her gloom straight away. She has her head down and he feels the dark aura around her. His heart clenches, seeing how down

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter