Focus

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today is a tiring day for Mina. From the moment her class started, she was bombarded with quiz after quiz. It is the middle of the school year after all, where everything is tested. On top of everything, she has to do sport at noon under the scorching hot sun. She is restless now and she plans nothing but sleep in until tomorrow. But she knows that it’s impossible.

 

She walks towards the park and she contemplates whether she should do the training or not. But she knows better. She knows the boys would find her one way or another so running away is never an option. She walks inside the park with heavy steps as she mumbles her complains. She marches straight towards the secluded area. She knows the boys would be there.

 

And she’s right.

 

“She’s here!!” VI announce loudly.

 

“We can see that” GD rolls his eyes, annoyed with the cheerful boy.

 

“Yeah… I know better now. Whether I want to or not, you guys will drag me here anyway” She says as she drops her bag onto the ground and slump on the bench next to TOP.

 

“What’s wrong with you?” TOP studies her face.

 

“I’m tired. That’s what’s wrong” She grumbles.

 

“It’s your fault for going out on a date on a school night” GD mutters.

 

“It wouldn’t have been tiring if you didn’t meddle in my business!” Mina snaps back.

 

“I wouldn’t have been meddling if you choose a more decent man!” GD retorts as loud.

 

“You don’t know him! You don’t know what he’s like! Stop saying that he’s a bad man!!” Mina replies, angry.

 

Last night, as they walk home from Mina’s date, GD has been commenting non-stop about how unsuitable Junhyung is for Mina. He came up with the most absurd reason that even his comrades could only shake their heads. Mina, on the other hand, has been irritated with GD for the whole night that she fights back all of his snide comments about her date. They bicker non-stop until Mina shut her house’s door on his face.

 

“Can we stop the bickering now? We haven’t had much done with trainings, you know” Sol steps in.

 

“We’ve only managed to have her focus to see her power. But even that, we got fooled! Now we know what your real power is, we need new set of trainings” DL says as he draw circle on the ground with a pebble.

 

“What are we doing?” Mina stares at the circle in fear. She has no energy to do difficult trainings today.

 

“Control” TOP replies.

 

Mina groans, “I thought we’ve done that before!”

 

“This time, with distractions around you” DL elaborates. “We know that when you feel cornered, you could open up the ground and we also know that if you’re calm and steady, you’d light up the nature. But what if you’re in a middle of a hectic environment? What if you’re in between fights between groups? What if you can’t see? What if you can’t breath? What if you felt hot? We need to know all of that”

 

Mina’s jaw is rolling down the pavement with DL’s training plan.

 

“Close it” VI grabs her chin and closes for her. “No need to stress. We’ll do it one by one”

 

“I’ve had a lot of things to do at school today! I’m tired! I’m sleepy! I have no energy to do all of that! I did sports today and I got injured! See??” Mina extends her leg to show a small fresh bruise on her knee.

 

“We watched you 24/7. That bruise is because your friend, Bom, stole your cookie during lunch and you decided to chase after her with your shoes untied” GD point at her bruised knee. “You are so naïve to think that you could fool us”

 

Mina scoffed, knowing that lying is never an option with the five descendants. They know everything.

 

“Plus, you didn’t do any sport. All you did was stretching and you pretend to have a period cramp so you could sit down on the bench watching the rest of your class doing basketball” DL adds.

 

“You don’t know whether I do have a period cramp or not! For all you know, I might be having my period now!” She yells back, annoyed that the boys caught her lying again.

 

“Your period is the last week of every month. This is still the first week of this month so we are far from having your period” VI says as his finger counting days.

 

“OMG! You did not just announce my period schedule!!!” Mina grabs anything around her and throws it at the smirking VI.

 

“That’s my coffee” TOP stares sadly at the cup of coffee that is now splattered on the ground after Mina uselessly threw one at VI.

 

“Who drinks hot americano on a summer night?!” Mina throws her irritation at the oldest.

 

TOP slumps back on the bench, crossing his hands in front of his chest, annoyed for getting the receiving end of Mina’s anger.

 

“Mina, we should start now…” Sol says, as he stands close to the circle that DL just drew. “Now enter this circle”

 

Mina groans, “I am tired!!”

 

“So are we!” GD quickly retort. “So get your in that goddamn circle so we can end this quick!”

 

“AAAAA” Mina whines and whines, flapping her feet in the air like a little kid throwing tantrum. At this point, she’d do whatever it takes for a day off, even if it shows her immature side to the boys.

 

Suddenly, water splashes on her face, wetting her, making her gasp in surprise. She opens her eyes quickly and wiping her face dry before her eyes darts across the park to find the culprit. She finds DL, standing not far left to Sol, looking at her with the most innocent smile on his face.

 

“YAA!!” She stands, more annoyed than before. “What was that for?!”

 

DL shrugs, “You seem tired so I thought some water would freshen you up”

 

“JUGEULHAE?!” She yells and the tree surrounds them begin to shake ferociously before a meter worth of leaves fall on top of DL, burying him alive.

 

“YA!” Sol yells loudly, surprising everyone. “If you have the strength to do that! Then you better just train! You are already 18! You are Gaia’s descendant! You own the power of the earth! Soon your responsibility is bigger that your classmate’s combined! The wellbeing of the earth is going to be in your hand! There is no time to fool around now! Grow up and just deal with what is set in your destiny! You are going to train whether you like it or not! You think we enjoy doing this?! We’d rather serve up there where everything is easier! We don’t like this situation as much as you do! So please help me Gaia, just freaking cooperate!!” Sol finally snaps with fire flaming from between the strands of his hair, as if his head is on fire.

 

The sudden burst of Sol’s silenced everyone. Sol has b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter