Truth

The Reality of Mythology
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

GD and I are walking side by side after we went out of the salon. The boys are nowhere to be seen, probably hiding in fear of another make over, so we’re alone once again. Despite the time, sounds are still around us. Crickets chirping, birds singing, and butterflies fluttering their wings, to company the awkward walk.

 

“Do this always happen to you?” GD suddenly asks, breaking the silence.

 

“What?” I return the question.

 

“You know… This” GD gestures the surrounding. “It’s like a party for animals around here”

 

“Huh? I don’t know… It’s always like this when I walk though…” I looks around, trying to find something odd but I couldn’t because since I can remember, animals are always around me to comfort me. This is normal.

 

“So it does always happen to you” GD nods, talking to himself.

 

“Doesn’t this happen to everyone?” I ask.

 

“No. It’s almost midnight, birds shouldn’t be singing this late”

 

“Oh…” I nod. “So I guess I can make animals to company me during my night walk”

 

“Guess so” He replies monotonically.

 

“You think my power is , don’t you?” I ask bluntly.

 

“No power is ” he answers diplomatically.

 

I snort, “Just admit it”

 

“When I first heard of you, I immediately plan on including you in my team. I thought, as Gaia’s only descendant, you could probably master all power” He chuckles, “But you couldn’t even swim”

 

“Hey! My parents never found the need to teach me how to swim!” I pout.

 

“If you have the power over water, you don’t need to be taught to swim” he replies.

 

“Well, I think my power is awesome… I can colour the world just by using my mind!” I boast.

 

“Not the world, just the nature” he says, stomping my happiness.

 

“I don’t care… it’s still awesome for me” I pout again.

 

We continue walking towards my house, saying no other words. I am annoyed at his statement about my power so I don’t want to be the first to open up another topic. Him? he seems to be enjoying the solace of the silence, looking rather peaceful as we walk through the city, completely oblivious about my irritation.

 

Suddenly, as we pass a subway station, his body tenses and he stops his walking completely, eyeing the subway station nervously.

 

“Wae?” I approach him.

 

“A…A…Anniyo” He stutters.

 

Wow. GD, the leader of this so called descendant is stutter in my presence?! Should I video this? Should I document this for the sake of mankind and torture him by playing it again and again to his face? Oh, the things that I could do using his expression right now are endless.

 

“Let’s go” He turns another direction and quickly walks away.

 

“Ya! My house is that direction!” I run up to him and tug his bright blue blazer.

 

“We can go around this way” He says, still walking another direction.

 

“It’s far! I’m tired, I wanna go home quicker!” I whine as I hold on to his blazer.

 

“Just bear with me and go this way!” He pleads.

 

Wow. GD, the arrogant bastard pleads? Oh my! This gets better and better!

 

“Please, Mina-ssi… I can't pass that subway station” He finally stops and drops his shoulder. He looks at the ground hopelessly. The dominating GD is now gone. He looks fragile and vulnerable.

 

I get closer and place my hand on his arm, “Why? Did something happen?”

 

“Just… Please” He raises his face to meet mine and I can see pain and trauma shines from his eyes.

 

“Okay” I nod and slowly walk to the direction he wants.

 

“Thanks” He mutters, keeping his eyes on the ground.

 

“Will you tell me what’s wrong?” I ask after we walk passed few blocks.

 

“Nothing is wrong” He returns to his detached self.

 

I snort, “Nothing is wrong” I mimic his words.

 

“Is that supposed to be a mockery?” He looks at me, amused.

 

“Yes”

 

“I don’t feel offended though”

 

“I don’t feel offended though” I mimic him again.

 

“Seriously, I don’t feel annoyed” He says.

 

“Seriously, I don’t feel annoyed” I repeat with the same tone.

 

“Okay, that’s getting slightly annoying”

 

“Okay, that’s getting slightly annoying” I contorts my face to mock him further.

 

“You don’t even have to try hard, you already annoy me by simply breathing” He stares deadly at me.

 

“Bla bla bla bla bla bla hard, bla bla bla bla breathing” I mock his even more.

 

“Ya!!” He raises his voice.

 

“What?” I my head innocently to him and for some reason, I notice his eyes becomes blank and his breathing stops as he stares at me. “Ya!”

 

“Huh? Oh… Yeah. Um… Stop your mockery. It’s annoying” He composes himself while shaking his head, as if trying to get rid of his previous thoughts.

 

“I’ll stop if you tell me what happened” I jump closer to him, wanting to know his history.

 

“Just get off my back will you, woman?” He hisses.

 

“I tried to get you guys off my back but it doesn’t work. Now the same applies to you” I poke his shoulder.

 

He grunts, “What do you want now?”

 

“Just tell me why we have to avoid that subway station” I ask.

 

He sighs loudly and wipes his tired face with his hand, “It’s my past. It’s not important”

 

“I still want to know” I force him.

 

He stops his walking and turn his body towards me. He looks at me straight in the eyes with a deadpan expression. If I don’t know him, I would be scared out of my mind thinking that he’s a bad man ready to kidnap me.

 

“The story will be too dark for you to handle” He whispers eerily.

 

“I can handle darkness” I announce.

 

“You? Really? What’s the worst trauma you’ve had since you were young?” He tilts his head.

 

“Um…” I rake my brain, “I… I got third place when I was in kindergarten because the judge was my father’s ex-girlfriend! I mean, how unfair was that?!”

 

He chuckles darkly, “I bet it’s nice knowing that the worst thing happened to you was getting a third place on a competition”

 

“Pfft…” I rake my brain again, searching for a better melancholy story, “Oh! I am in love with this guy for years now but he doesn’t even notice!”

 

“Huh?” He tenses and frowns at the information. “Who’s the guy?”

 

“My brother’s friend… He’s so cool and hot but he never notices me. Well, not until my last birthday when he gave me a family heirloom” I daze dreamily at the memory.

 

GD sneers, “So that’s not a tragic story after all”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter