Set Fire to the Rain

A Heart that beats for only You
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

BGM: Set Fire to the Rain by Adele

 

I’ve stayed in the States for almost five years but waking up to the smell of freshly made buttered pancakes and dark brewed coffee will always be something alien to me.

My senses will always tell me that it’s a new experience-- that it was out of the ordinary in my boorish life.

Despite the picturesque landscapes, the luxurious opportunities, the welcoming community, and the distinctive food it offered, California never felt home.

I slowly opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling above me, I am awake.

 

How long was I sleeping?

 

It has been a long time since I slept soundly.

No nightmares.

No headaches.

No hangovers.

I dangled my feet at the side of my bed, looking at my surrounding-- breathing the familiarity that my soul yearns for.

In this small, cramped place…

There is You.

And the memories we’ve shared together.

I am home.

A bashful knock on my door pulled me out of my transfixion.

The same crescents, the same attractive eyes, emerged from the crack at my opened door.

“Good morning, Doctor Kwon. I made buttered pancakes and some dark coffee. Left it in the table, feel free to get them. I’m going out, need to meet somebody important. The spare key’s near the refrigerator. Bye bye~”

And she was gone as fast as she came.

 

--

 

“So, you are telling me that you came back here yesterday?” Sooyoung went near me, still bouncing in shock.

“What’s the fuss, Soo? Am I not welcomed here in your humble abode?” I teasingly fired back after tasting the coffee Sunny gave me.

“As long as you’re not here to steal my food or my Sunny bunny, of course, you are welcomed” Soo finally sat still.

“I assure you, I have no intentions of the sort” I nodded, putting the coffee in the side table.

“But why so sudden? You didn’t even call us. We could have waited for your arrival in the airport and prepared some banners of love for you. Ooooh! I’ve always wanted to do that! ‘WELCOME HOME OUR BELOVED CUTEY PATOOTIII KWON YURI *heart heart heart*’ How can you rob us of that chance? And you call yourself our friend?” Sunny visualized her banner burning.

“Ugh. I’ll pass on that any moment of the day.” I smirked while raising my eyebrow, perfectly knowing that Sunny’s mind is already floating in her own made fantasy.

“So, where you staying at?” Soo changed the topic while grabbing an apple to bite.

“Oh, some---where. Just…near the hospital I’m doing part time with.” Yuri tried to remain casual. Luckily, they didn’t probe more. She will never tell where she is actually residing-- especially to this duo.

“How long are you staying?” Sunny sat opposite the two jangshins.

“Just a couple of weeks, maybe a month. It’ll depend on the amount of extra work the hospital’s giving me. I’m just doing some surveys and stuffs for a study anyway.”

“Ooooooohhhhh…” the duo hailed in unison.

“Jjangida! Krystal’s here and you’re here. Let’s get out sometime soon, okay? There’s a new Japanese restaurant in town. I heard the food is awesome!” Sooyoung danced happily.

“And Taeyeon too!” Sunny clapped her hands happily.

Sooyoung dropped her jaw in complete shock.

I stood up.

“Thanks for the coffee and the time, guys. Got an appointment, see ya sometime soon, okay? Send my regards to Krys.”

I hugged the duo and left.

 

--

 

White marble pavements, dark glossy granite walls, and the smell of incense jabbed my intoxicated senses to reality.

I scanned the succeeding walls for anything that might relate me to you—anything that might bring me to you.

 

Park Jaebum.

 

Park Sun-Young.

 

Kim GooRa.

 

Kim BoAh.

 

Where are you my love?

 

I continued walking not paying much attention to my swerving gait, clutching a single red rose in my left and a bottle of whiskey at my right.

 

I want to see you.

 

I need to see you.

Please log in to read the full chapter