When You See Him at Church

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]
"Stop looking at him," your friend, Lin, poked your side with her elbow.
 
"Ow," you hissed just as quietly, tearing your eyes away from the boy in question. "What are you talking about?"
 
Somebody cleared their throat from behind and you turned back to your song book. You weren't sure which verse you were supposed to be reading so you hummed along with the rest of the church. But you couldn't resist looking one last time and sure enough, he was also peeking at you from his song book, giving you a knowing smile. A blush burned across your cheeks.
 
"That's what I'm talking about!" Lin said in an accusing whisper, nudging you with her pointy elbow again. "You two have known each other since you were kids and now you decide to ogle him?"
 
"I'm not ogling him!" you replied with a guilty frown.
 
"Okay, fine. You've only been drooling over his shoes for the past two months." Another man cleared his throat, notifying you guys that you were being too loud. Lin merely rolled her eyes. "Just don't make it so obvious."
 
You chewed your bottom lip. "Am I that obvious?"
 
"I'm pretty sure the whole church knows you like him." She looked over at the boy that you'd been "ogling". "And we know that he likes you, too."
 
Your eyes scanned the crowd just as the song had ended and people were starting to leave. You caught his sheepish grin as your eyes met again and you hurriedly looked away, afraid that you would trip over something as you walked past the pews.
 
An arm stopped you just as you were turning to the door. "I need to talk to my youth minister. Give me a second." You followed Lin mindlessly, still thinking about him. "Wait here," she said before disappearing behind a door.
 
You waited and waited but honestly, there weren't many things to mull over to distract yourself from the lonesome, quiet hallway. You could hear the lively voices of both Lin and her youth minister but the door kept you from making out their words. You slumped against the wall and looked at your watch, noticing that you would have to leave in ten minutes or else you'd be late for your doctor's appointment.
 
Just as you were absently kicking your heel against the ground, you heard heavy footsteps down the hall. You looked up and saw the boy you'd been staring at for so long walking towards you, and couldn't help but look down at your shoes again. He was coming this way and Lin was still in there and you were alone and what were you supposed to say anyway???
 
"Hey!" a gruff voice called over and you looked up to find the boy looking past you. When you turned, you saw the janitor standing at the other end of the hall. "If you have no business here, then get on home!"
 
You turned back to the boy, wondering if there was anything to say. Luckily, he replied for you. "We'll leave soon, sir!" he waved but the janitor had already turned down another corner.
 
Now it was just you and him.
 
Why were you so nervous? It was just another boy. You've talked to lots of boys in your lifetime; this one should be no different.
 
So why were your ears burning and your palms sweating?
 
Your hand rose up to give him a meek wave and he returned it with a brilliantly white smile that made you wring your hands until they hurt.
 
"Are you waiting for somebody?" he asked.
 
You nodded and cleared your throat, hoping your voice wouldn't squeak under the pressure. "Yeah, my friend's in there with her youth minister."
 
He peered inside through the small window and laughed. What a gorgeous laugh. "She's gonna be in there for a while. That guy can go on and on about nothing."
 
"Oh, really..." you bit your lip, not knowing what to say or if you should say anything. "Well then, I guess I'll be waiting here for a while."
 
He turned back to you with a confused expression on his face. "Why? Don't you live near here?" He seemed to realize what he had said and quickly took it back. "Not that I know where you live... I just mean most people who come here live near here and you've been here for years so you should live around here, right?"
 
"Uhh..." you were too shocked by his rambling to answer. He was nervous? Him?
 
"Crap, you think I'm a stalker, don't you?" He ran a hand through his hair, looking thoroughly flustered. "I've just seen you around for years, that's all. I don't mean to sound like I've been following you or anything. Please don't think of me like that. I'm not that creepy."
 
This time, you let out a stifled giggle which seemed to surprise him a bit. "You're not creepy," you assured him.
 
He sighed, looking as if he'd relaxed a bit. "That's good," he seemed to mutter to himself.
 
"I'm waiting for my friend to drive me to the doctor's office. My appointment's in..." you checked your watch, "less than half an hour." You bit your lip, now nervous about being on time. You had the urge to peek in through the door once again but suddenly it opened on its own.
 
Lin stuck her head out. "Hey," she said to you but then noticed the boy standing beside you. "Oh, hey! Oh, this is perfect! Dude, can you drive her to her appointment? I'm kinda busy here."
 
A blush crept onto your face as you stood with your senses alert. Why did she have to ask such a big favour of him? What if he says no? What if he doesn't—
 
"Sure," he replied but you didn't have the courage to look up at his face. Your eyes were still glued to Lin, wondering how this happened.
 
The girl leaned lazily against the door and studied the two of you. "Hmm, I did good, didn't I?"
 
"What... do you mean?" you asked hesitantly.
 
"I mean, you like him and he likes you and I just set you guys up on a date and—Hey!" Before she could say anymore, you closed the door on her, squeezing her back into the room. You could hear her sly laughter from behind the door but you could also hear chuckling from behind you.
 
But before you could say anything, heavy footsteps rang down the hall again as a gruff voice barked, "Hey!"
 
"We're leaving, sir!" You looked up just in time to see him smiling down at you. He placed his hand on the small of your back and whisked you away through the hall.
 
---
 
uwu sorry this took so long but thank you for liking the other scenario ^^ i don’t go to church so i asked one of my friends who has another friend who actually does go to church and he said that they sing in church. then i remembered something i read on yahoo answers a few years ago about this girl checking out her crush while peeking from her songbook hehh… i hope it’s okay (╯3╰)