When He Personally Wishes You a Happy Birthday

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]

12:05AM

You scroll through your phone. Fourteen notifications already but none from him.

It’s okay. The day’s still young.

7:10AM

Six new notifications. Who stayed up until 4AM to wish you a happy birthday?

8:45AM

First period. He sits in front of you. He fidgets around and you think he might be getting the courage to turn around and talk to you.

Nevermind.

His shirt tag was just bothering him.

10:00AM

It’s the end of class. Why hasn’t he said anything at all yet? Some people had passed by whispering birthday greetings while others had shouted it. He couldn’t have missed it, right?

11:25AM

He usually comes late to lunch so you decide to walk slowly in the halls because A) you might be able to bump into him on the way and/or B) you want him to be in the cafeteria first.

11:40AM

He wasn’t in the cafeteria first. He’s not even in the cafeteria at all.

"Thank you!" you say to the classmates that wish you a birthday greeting. Why couldn’t one of them be him?

You realize you wouldn’t see him at all for the rest of the day… unless you go to his locker after school.

You decide it’s a good idea. You need to go to the library anyway and his locker just happens to be on the way.

3:05PM

School’s over, finally. Now, it’s important to get to his locker at just the right time. There’s a prime window of opportunity for things like this.

Too early and he wouldn’t be there. You couldn’t wait either because who wants to look desperate, waiting for their crush at their locker? Not you.

But if you arrive too late, well… this one’s self-explanatory.

3:10PM

You check your phone, ignoring the 66 new notifications that people have sent you throughout the day. Five minutes should’ve been enough time for him to get to his locker but not to finish packing everything up.

You speed down the halls, carrying a big decorated box. Maybe if you pass him with this, he’ll ask you what’s in it. And then you can say it’s your birthday and then the rest is history.

One more corner and you’ll be in his hall.

"Hey!" a voice calls from behind you and your shoes screech to a stop. Your friend runs toward you with her books. Why is she smiling so hard? “There you are!"

"Here I am…?"

"We’ve been looking everywhere for you! Come with me."

She turns down his hall.

Darn, he’s not there.

Well, your day’s ruined. And now your mood’s ruined as well because, honestly, a boy should not dictate how your day goes.

But he does.

And your day is still ruined.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!"

Your eyes open wide as you look at the crowd of people on the field. Wow, do you really have that many friends? They hold up a sign and balloons and presents.

You put your hand up to your mouth and can’t stop your smile but it’s not like you were trying to. Hey, maybe it wasn’t such a bad day.

Lots of hugs. Lots of hugs. God, you’re starting to get tired from hugging all these people.

"Heyyy." Your friend nudges your side with her elbow. “I think there’s a special somebody you should thank."

"Hmm?"

"He planned this for you." She winks, pointing at somebody over your shoulder.

You turn around, already anticipating who it is. No wonder he hadn’t spoken to you all day!

You your head to the side when you look around. There’s only one guy standing in front of you and… it’s not him. “Hi, happy birthday!" a tall guy from your math class gives you a pat on the back. You say thanks but what’s his name again?

He leaves before you can embarrass yourself.

"Happy birthday." You hear a whisper behind you and turn around again to find your crush’s face right in front of yours. Your friend giggles after seeing how wide your eyes just became.

"Th-thank you!"

He smiles and it makes you blush. It always makes you blush. “Here you go. I hope you like it." He hands you a small rectangular box.

"Thank you. Did you plan this?" you gesture to the crowd who was beginning to disperse.

He nods. “I was supposed to do it at lunch but I had some last minute details to work out."

Your hands are shaking with excitement. He planned something for you! “Well, thank you! Again, really, thank you."

"No problem." He nods toward the box in your hand. “Open it."

You open the box and inside sits a necklace that you had been eying for the past two months. How had he known?

"Wait a minute!" your friend burst in. “Weren’t we supposed to all pitch in for that necklace but then you said it was sold out so we bought her the books? Where did you get that?"

He rubs his neck nervously. “I lied. It wasn’t sold out."

Your friend gives him a sly look but lets him off the hook. “I see what you were trying to do," she says before turning to you. “Hey, he’s trying to hit on you, in case you didn’t notice."

"She notices!" your crush pushes your giggly friend away and turns back to you with a sheepish smile. “So… do you like it?"

You nod eagerly. “I like it. Thank you!"

—-

omg please don’t tell me i’m the only one who acts like it’s mission impossible whenever i’m around my crush ;n;