When He Comes Back From the Military

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]

"Presents!"

That was the first word your daughter said when she ran into your husband’s arms again. You could hear it all the way from the car. Perhaps you should’ve told her that he was her father, not Santa.

But it was a shame that he only came home during Christmas, bringing small presents for the family. During birthdays, he would also send gifts back and that was how your daughter associated her father as a gift dispenser.

There was a flicker of confusion across his face as he watched his child but the confusion fell away to amusement when she began to dig into the pockets of his uniform. You shook your head. You would have to give her a lesson on manners soon.

He greeted his friends that had joined your daughter. You sat still in the car and let out a small smile when you saw him looking around. When he turned back to his friends, you noticed he was asking them something and they all gave dramatic shrugs.

You held a hand over your mouth to hide the giggle.

You had a surprise for him. After the first miscarriage, the two of you were extra careful with your daughter. Neither of you told anybody until it became too obvious to hide. You didn’t want the same hype from your first child if another miscarriage was going to happen.

So this time around, you kept it a secret from everybody (except your mom). Not even your husband knew. It was a long couple of months where you had to keep your mouth in check. You didn’t want to blurt it out to anybody.

You didn’t want to get their hopes up, especially not your husband’s.

After telling your friends that they should greet him first, they pestered you about the reason. Simply offering that you had a special announcement, they decided they could hold their fussing.

You looked out the car again and saw that a bit of the initial excitement had died down. Your husband was still looking around but this time, he had a worried look on his face. The group began walking back and you concluded it’d be nice to cheer him up now.

The moment you stepped out of the car, your husband’s eyes found yours. Your heart fluttered as his gaze pierced right through you and, for some reason, you couldn’t take your hand off the door handle.

His steps quickened and a bright smile appeared on his lips. Your daughter giggled from the change in pace and she clung onto her father’s shoulders as he ran. He stopped right in front of you, his eyes roaming your body.

He dropped his smile then and so did you. The two of you stared at each other curiously but it was you who spoke up first.

"Hi," you breathed, hoping you had enough resolve not to jump on him in public.

"You…You look different," he replied, trying to figure something out. Your daughter splayed her palm on his cheek but even that distraction didn’t make him look away.

You bit your lip to hide the impish smile that tried to get out. “I do?” you asked in a teasing voice as you wound your arms around his neck and brushed a kiss against his lips.

He groaned and his hand squeezed your back, pulling you closer. “Out here? In public?”

You giggled, pressing fluttery kisses along his jaw all the way to his earlobe. “Babe, I’m pregnant,” you whispered.

His whole body stiffened and you clearly heard him in a breath. You gasped, too, as he lifted you with one arm. Both you and your daughter were squished against his body as he spun around.

When your feet touched the ground again, you could see that your friends were giving weird looks but your husband didn’t let go. He kissed his daughter and you until the two of you had your faces scrunched. Then he sighed and nuzzled into your neck.

"Babe…" you murmured, kissing his temple softly.

He chuckled. “I love you. I love you so much.” He lifted his head and gave you one more kiss before turning to his daughter. “I love you, too.”

Your daughter stared at him blankly and cast you a confused glance. “Presents?”

—-

yooo i’m running out of steam u_u