When He Teaches You Chinese

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]

"Do you want more popcorn?" you asked your best friend as he stretched out on the couch.

"No thanks, I’m good."

You stood in your spot, pouting. “But I want more…"

"Then make more." He rubbed his eyes and yawned, pretending to go to sleep. The two of you had just finished a movie marathon and he looked ready to fall into a hundred year slumber.

"But I only want a little bit, not a whole pack."

He opened one eye and you almost blurted out how cute he looked. “Wait a half hour and then you’ll realize you’re not hungry anymore."

"I’m still going to be hungry, you know." You sat on the couch beside him, flopping down heavily so he was shaken awake. “What am I supposed to do for half an hour?"

"Let me sleep," he groaned.

"You’re staying over again?"

"Uh-huh. Too lazy to drive home."

"Then you can teach me some Chinese!" You pulled on his arm so he would sit up straight.

"What the— Why now?" He ran a hand through his hair and gave you an incredulous look.

You made the best puppy-dog eyes you could muster and held his hand to your heart. “Please? You promised last week you would do it."

He took a quick glance at your hands but his confused expression remained. “Not when I’m this tired," he complained.

"Please, please, pleeeease? I’m meeting the Chinese guy on Saturday and I want to impress him!"

He rolled his eyes and yanked his hand away. “Fine," he muttered. “What do you want to know?"

You tapped your chin in thought. “Hmm, how would I say ‘I want to eat something’? We’re going to that new Chinese restaurant down the street, you know."

He nodded absentmindedly but you ignored the fact that he didn’t look like he was paying attention. He never cared much for the guys you talked about. "Wo xiang chi something."

You repeated the sounds but they just didn’t sound right coming from your mouth. When you asked him to say them another time, he leaned back against the couch and closed his eyes.

Wo xiang chi something."

You tried again but when you heard your best friend’s stifled snicker, you knew you were doing it wrong. “Okay, fine. How do you say ‘I’m hungry’?"

Wo e le."

You leaned back beside him and tested the words in your mouth. “Am I doing it right?"

"No, but I don’t think he’s going to care."

You stuck out your tongue, even though he couldn’t see. “Okay, so wo e le and wo…something…"

Wo xiang chi something."

"Does wo mean ‘I’?"

He nodded and opened his eyes just slightly to give you a small smile. “You’re catching on."

You couldn’t help but smile as well. “How do you say ‘are you hungry?’ then?"

Ni e le ma?

Wo e le."

"Still?"

"Yes," you said after patting your stomach. "Wo e le still."

Ni xiang chi fan ma?

You stared at him blankly and used the only other Chinese phrase you knew. "Wo xiang chi popcorn." You realized ni must’ve meant ‘you’.

"Ah," he sighed, leaning his head against the couch and closing his eyes again. “I hope you’ll be able to find popcorn at the Chinese restaurant."

You gave him an exasperated look and shook his arm. “One more, please? Just one more and I’ll get you a blanket and you can sleep here for the night."

He rubbed his face and glared at you before scanning the room. He thought for a minute and you didn’t know if it was a prompt for you to give him an idea. “One more?" he asked.

You nodded eagerly.

Wo ai shang le ni," he muttered.

"Wait, say that slower!"

Wo ai shang le ni," he enunciated while staring at the blank TV screen.

Woai shang le ni…right?"

"Right."

You tried it again before asking him the meaning. “I hear wo and ni," you commented proudly. “It means ‘I’ something ‘you’, right?"

"It means…" He seemed to have forgotten the meaning for a second until he turned to you and his lips. "I think you should go to sleep."

You hit him playfully with the cushion as he rested his head against your shoulder. “Well, wo ai shang le ni, too, sleepyhead."

He let out an empty laugh.

—-

Wo xiang chi (something) - 我想吃 (something) - I want to eat (something)
Wo e le -
我饿了 - I’m hungry
Ni e le ma? -
你饿了- Are you hungry?
Ni xiang chi fan ma? - 你想吃吗 - Do you want to eat?
Wo ai shang le ni - 我爱上了
- haha it doesn’t mean what he said it means. plug that into google translate and you’ll understand the scenario.

l o l i was gonna use this scene for one of my fanfics but i don’t think i’m ever going to be able to finish that fanfic so whateverrr~ sorry i couldn’t do it in korean. i think i would’ve sounded dumber than i usually do ;~; i hope you liked it (and i hope my chinese was accurate because i have the chinese capabilities of a 6 yr old T^T)