When He Holds His Baby for the First Time

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]

Something was happening. You were giving birth, weren’t you? This was it. You had wanted to record this moment. You had wanted to remember this moment forever. Your first child.

But the pain was too much. There were too many people talking at once and they were all telling you orders. You didn’t know what to do. It was unbearably painful and you just wanted the child out.

Your husband’s face suddenly crossed your vision. You stared at him. He was saying something but your ears were already ringing. His face was shiny with tears and you just wanted to pull him down for a kiss.

One of you in pain was enough.

How long had it been anyway? You couldn’t tell the difference between seconds and minutes. Everything was a blur, especially in the last few moments.

Please come out, you begged. You gave your final push, knowing you had nothing left after it. Your body ached and your skin felt like it was on fire. All you wanted was to fall asleep.

"Baby, look at me." Your tired eyes fluttered open and found that familiar face you loved to wake up to. “You’re doing great. Just a little bit more and she’ll be out, okay?" He kissed your forehead even though that only tempted you to fall asleep.

You pushed for him. You gave everything for him and now, finally, for your new baby girl. People were cheering. Through their masks, the nurses and doctors were smiling.

Your little girl was handed to you.

"Honey?" you panted in confusion as you searched your husband’s face. “Honey, do you see? Isn’t she cute? Honey, are you okay? Honey?"

"Shh," he smoothed your hair and kissed your temple in an attempt to hide his face. “I see, I see. She’s beautiful, just like her mother."

Your tears poured out now and it got even harder to breathe. “She is," you choked out. “Will you hold her?"

He wasn’t having the easiest time keeping in check either. The doctors said a few words but let you have your moment regardless. “Can I?" he asked in his exhaustion. You had been the one in labour but it looked like he was part of it, too. Then again, his hand was the one you’d been squeezing the whole time.

You let out half a sob, half a laugh, as he scooped the little bundle into his arms. You caught a brief glimpse of red marks on his hand from your nails and wanted to apologize but the sight of him with your child made you speechless. He looked like a real dad when he stood up straight and you tried to lift up your hand to cover your quivering lip. His eyes looked dazed but so happy.

A nurse appeared and tapped your husband on the shoulder yet he didn’t notice. “Honey," you called and he finally broke his gaze on the baby and looked at you. “They need to take her for tests."

Your husband flinched in surprise and cleared his throat before handing over your child to the nurse. “Right," he said and watched as the nurse put a wristband around the baby’s tiny arm.

More tears filled your eyes. Nine months and a week. All that time and it was finally over.

Your husband knelt by your bed and nuzzled into your neck. “Are you all right, baby?"

"Mmm." You nodded and closed your eyes. You didn’t know what time it was but the sun had gone down and you were beyond tired.

"You’ve worked hard. Take a nice long rest," he said while planting light kisses on your cheeks.

"What about you? You’ve worked hard, too."

He gave a husky laugh, indicating that he didn’t believe you. “I feel like I was the one carrying her for nine months and then spent 12 hours pushing her out."

"12 hours?" You opened your eyes, much to their protest. You had thought your stay had been much longer than that, a day at least.

"I can’t believe it either. I think I married the strongest woman in the world."

"I don’t think I have enough strength to do this ever again."

"Mmm…" he sighed.

You turned your head but couldn’t see your husband’s face. He was snuggling against your neck. “Honey?" you whispered.

The only reply was a soft snore.

—-

i want children but i have bad cramps already like how am i going to survive a pregnancy hmm but it might help to have a god standing by my side and giving me support yes yes that would help