When Your Roof Collapses

With You and Your Bias... [indefinite hiatus]

Your heart was racing.

Another flash of lightning passed and you tried to keep composed as you waited for the clap of thunder. The rain was still falling down hard, hitting your face with a cold sting. Your little sister sat in your arms as you trudged through the field.

You could see his house in the distance. The lights were off but you hoped somebody would be awake anyway, hopefully him.

You hid your face in your little sister’s hair as your nose began to get cold. Your parents were close behind and your dad covered your frail mom from the rain. You hoped she wouldn’t get sick again.

How had the roof of your house collapsed so suddenly? One second, you were getting into bed and then in the next, you heard a loud clap of thunder. You thought nothing of it until the entire house groaned and you were pelted with slabs of concrete.

Fifteen minutes later, you and your family were outside in the rain, staring at the tree that fell on your house. There was nobody around your lonely home and the closest neighbours were a ten minute drive away.

Those neighbours happened to be your crush’s family. On the one hand, you wanted to walk faster and get out of the rain. On the other hand, you didn’t want your crush to take pity on you like this.

Your little sister sneezed and you decided it was better to put your pride aside for your family.

When you finally came upon his house, you had hoped your parents would knock on the door but you looked back and they were still lagging behind. Your sister’s shivers grew worse and your cold and tired arm banged against the door as hard as you could.

The door didn’t open until your parents had caught up. To your worst fear, your crush stood there, rubbing his eyes. He didn’t seem to recognize you until you wiped your wet hair from your face.

"Hi," you panted and wished he would let you in already. For a split second, your eyes went down and saw that he had no shirt on. From that point on, you willed your eyes to stay on his face as your own got hotter.

He blinked and looked behind you at your parents. You hoped he wouldn’t ask too many questions. “What are—Come in!" He stood out of the way and pulled your family inside.

You didn’t realize how frozen you had been until a shiver ran through your entire body and you had trouble controlling your hands to hold onto your sister. Your crush called his parents awake and they came in quickly after hearing the news.

His mother took you, your little sister, and your mom to the bathroom where she provided fresh clothes and towels. His dad spoke with your father and called the police after hearing that your phone lines had been cut.

You were still trembling under a thick towel when your crush (with a shirt on now) brought a cup of tea for you in the living room. Your families were gathered together, discussing what would happen now.

"We can sleep in the living room tonight," his mother said firmly, gesturing to her own family. “Parents will sleep in our room and the daughters can sleep in my son’s room."

You tried your hardest to keep a straight face. You were going to sleep in his room!

"Mom, can I sleep with you and dad?" your sister whispered not-so-quietly.

Your crush’s mother smiled warmly. “The bed should be big enough. Come, let’s get you guys rested." She turned to her son and nodded in your direction. “Show her to your room and get out the spare blankets."

You downed the tea quickly and felt it warm you from the inside out. Your crush led you to his room and you followed quietly, trying not to imagine him topless.

"Sorry about the mess," he said as he kicked a pile of his clothes into the corner and then went into the closet. “Do you think you’ll need another blanket?"

You sat on his unmade bed and gulped nervously. Was this for real? Were you really sitting on his bed? “No, I think one is good enough."

He came out with an armful of thick blankets and smiled. “Then get comfortable," he said before walking out.

You didn’t know if he was going to come back or not (probably not, unfortunately) so you went to turn out the lights. You laid stiffly on his bed, not feeling very comfortable. It’s not that his bed was uncomfortable, it was the fact that this was his bed.

And there was still lightning outside. Whenever a flash or rumble passed by, you had to squeeze your eyes shut extra tight.

You took a deep breath but it didn’t help at all. The whole room smelled like him.

"Hey," a whisper came from the door and you turned to find your crush poking his head in."Do you need anything else?"

You let out a small squeak just as another clap of thunder ran through the air. You decided you would never be able to sleep like this so you nodded.

He stepped into the room. “Are you all right?"

"Could you stay with me?" You cleared your throat, hoping he wouldn’t see the blush on your face. “At least until I fall asleep? I’m scared of the thunder." You added that last part in a small voice.

He seemed to agree as he closed the door and sat on the bed beside you. “There’s nothing to be scared about," he reassured with a pat on your shoulder.

You winced and brought a hand up to press against the spot that was in pain.

"Sorry, does it hurt?"

"I think I just got a bruise. Probably from the concrete that fell."

", that close to your head?"

You nodded and felt his hand smoothing your hair. The mollifying gesture made your eyes start to flutter closed.

"Don’t worry, if my roof collapses, I’ll be here to cover you from the concrete."

You looked up and saw him yawn as he brought his feet up on the bed beside you. He leaned against the headboard while still your hair. A strike of lightning illuminated the room for a second and you stiffened, waiting for the thunder.

"Hey," your crush cooed softly as he leaned closer. “Don’t be afraid. I’m here, okay?"

His voice was soothing enough to calm your senses but they revved up again when he gently kissed your forehead.

It was suddenly quiet, way too quiet. Where was the thunder? More flashes of lightning ran by and you looked to your crush for help.

At first, he also looked a bit worried. But when you began clutching his arm, he seemed to understand that you needed some sort of distraction, anything. He repositioned himself and quickly fell onto the bed beside you. He held your chin between his thumb and index finger until your head was tilted in just the right position.

And then he kissed you.

And then the loudest and longest rumble of thunder sounded.

Though your heart wouldn’t stop racing, you weren’t scared this time.

—-

ok this was a lot cuter in my head ;~; i was looking forward to writing this and then suddenly it came out a lot different than what i had planned???????? ;n; i hope you enjoyed it though!