Chapter 26

Stockholm

Regina's pov 

 

I got as far as the hospital doors before I was stopped by nurses. I wanted to argue but I decided it was best to let them do their jobs and walked to the sitting area. I could hear a group of people coming closer and saw it was his family and Dennis. “Where is he?” Daesung asked as soon as he got closer. “They took him to the back but that’s all I know. What the hell happened to him?” I asked Ciara directly, quickly remembering that she said something about his condition. She shared a look with his grandmother and the other woman near us. I rose my brow and stood up, ready to say my piece.

“He has a heart condition that he has to take medication for. It looks like he hasn’t taken it in a while.” The unknown woman said with a sigh. “What is the condition?” I asked with a frown. “He has a flutter in his heart that can be maintained if he took his medicine as directed .” Ciara inputted when she saw how annoyed I was getting. I ran a hand through my tangled hair as I sat down and shook my head. “He never even said a damn word or anything about it. I have never even seen him take a vitamin.” I said with a sob. Dennis sat beside me and rubbed my back gently. 

His grandmother sat on the other side and held my hand. “When did you find out that you loved him?” She asked softly. I half shrugged and wiped my eyes. “Like yesterday?” I said with a slight chuckle. Dennis gave me a look that I ignored. “Maybe a little before that. I'm not sure. Wait. I thought you couldn’t speak English?” I frowned momentarily confused. “Ah. She does that all the time. It’s her own personal joke to the new members of the family. I'm Jihoon's cousin, Minzy.” The other woman introduced as she sat close to Dennis and leaned into him a bit. 

I nodded then stared at the nurse’s station and prayed for an update. “Will he be okay?” I asked whoever was listening. “He better be or I’ll kick his .” Daesung said with a clenched jaw. We sat in silence for almost two hours before someone came out to look for us. I jumped up quicker than anyone else had a chance to and ran up on the doctor. He slightly jumped at the sight of my black looking crazy as hell which made me back down a bit. I held up my ring finger in hopes that he’d understand and luckily he did. Minzy came over to help translate and let the doctor know who was family. “It’s fine. I can speak English. I can talk to you all at once if it’ll be easier?” The doctor suggested when he saw four others behind us and waiting just as anxiously. I nodded my head quickly so he can tell us what the is going on.

“So it looks like he’s had a lot of stress lately and a recent bullet wound. I won’t ask how he got it but he will be fine. He just needs to have a rest and less stress for a while. Can you make that happen? He might not be so lucky next time.” He said somberly. “I will make it a mission to have him relax.” I said with determination. He did a quick nod then asked if we’d like to see him. “You can go.” I said to his grandmother and cousins. “You sure?” They asked before I waved them off. I watched them follow the doctor then went to hunt a drink machine or something strong . I didn’t realize Dennis followed me and searched with me. I stopped a nurse walking by with a smile then asked a question in Korean.

I rose my brow at him then lost both brows when the nurse blushed and pointed in a direction and he thanked her in Korean again. “Uh. What was that?" I asked in shock. “I been studying the months you were gone then Minz taught me some when I was here.” He shrugged. I shook my head and followed him to the area where there was a fresh pot of coffee. I damn near cried at the sight and made the biggest cup I could and drank half of it in seconds. I slowed it down and laughed at his face. “That had to burn.” He chuckled then went and grabbed something out of the vending machine then gave me half to eat. “So you and Ji?” He asked after a while. 

I blushed then bumped his arm for more of the snack. “You and Minzy eh? I noticed how close you guys are.” I countered. He thinned his lips then snorted. “You got me G. You doing okay? With everything going on. I never got to ask. I thought the worst happened when I came home and you were just gone. I’m so sorry.” He said looking away and holding his head down. I put my junk down and sat next to him and hugged him as tightly as I could. “You better stop that . You didn’t have a damn thing to do with our ed up dad or Hudson. We are survivors.” I said making him look at me.

He nodded and held me just as tightly until everyone came in with better spirits. “He wants to see you.” Ciara said with a smile. I stood up and nodded to Dennis. “Both of you. They need better options. Where is the candy?” Their grandma said without looking our direction. Dennis frowned but followed me to the room Minzy said he was in. I knocked on the door lightly and opened it up to see Jihoon hooked up to a heart monitor with a frown on his face. He turned to us then smiled and nodded for us to come in. 

“Hey.” Dennis started and went to give him a hug. “Hey. Sorry for the scare.” Ji joked when they pulled apart. Dennis waved it off and glanced at me before taking a seat by the window. “You wanted to see me?” He asked biting his nail. “Yeah. I just wanted to make sure that you both know what’s going to happen. You’ll both be living here. Dennis, you can live with us or continue to crash at Minzy’s place. We’re family and we protect each other. I want you to intern at my company. It’s an accounting firm. Legit. Even though you will be well taken care of, I want you to still be able to have the experience so if I need you to, you can take over. I know it’s a lot to take in right now but I know you can handle it.” Jihoon explained.

I looked over to Dennis who had his mouth open wide. “You want me to take over one day? Are you sure? I don’t know what to say.” He stammered. “Think on it. I have plenty of other legal options if that’s not for you but I definitely want to give you something you can set roots in.” Ji said with a chuckle. Dennis nodded to himself then excused himself from the room. I stood their awkwardly and tried to tame my hair again. Ji looked at me then patted the spot on the bed next to him. “Come over here.” He said lowly. “Are you really okay? I was so scared.” I said as I sat down and shook my head.

“I’m sorry. With everything going on, some stuff slipped my mind.  I'll have to do better.” He said holding my hand. “I love you. I do but I just realized that we don't actually know each other. We just know topical information and I don't want a marriage where I can't even figure out what's wrong with my husband because he has a preexisting condition that I don’t know about.” I rushed out before I could lose my steam. He looked a bit ashamed but I can tell he understood. He scooted over to give me room to lay beside him and forced me under the blanket with him. “Then we will learn all there is to learn. After we both get a good nap.” He said caressing my face. I wanted to talk immediately but exhaustion set in plus his warm body made it harder to fight sleep. I silently agreed as I snuggled up to him and drifted off.