The Cost of Freedom

When I began to believe...

Taemin's POV

Diary entry #1: I'm loosing track of how many days had gone by since Minho'd captured. It all seems to blur together into one complete time zone. The sun went up, the sun went down, and so repeated. School must've started by now; I wonder what lie they'd used in order to keep them insuspicious about me. My only comfort is Minho. He comes in and and brings food, talks a bit and then leave again. It's a reminder that everybody here doesn't hate me as much as GD, or he is just a really good actor, obeying GD's orders.

I woke up to the sight on sunlight streaming in from a nearby window. I knew the window was locked, which was unnecisarry as it was about a 30ft drop anyway. Although... perhaps suicide is what this place drove you to do in the end?

I shook my head and sat up in bed, still in the pjymas one of GD's maids had provided, much to my dismay.

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in" I said, practically croaking as I was still groggy from sleep.

The door unlocked and opened and Minho stepped in with a breakfast tray. It almost seemed like room service at a hotel, but no doubt it was one of GD's actions in order for me to try to ignore the fact I was a prisoner in his home.

"Breakfast" He said, avoiding eye contact with me. He placed it on the chair in the corner, knowing I wouldn't touch it willingly.

He moved over and sat at the edge of the bed, looking down to his lap. An awkward silence filled the air around us.

"When can I leave?" I asked, for the thousandth time. He sighed, getting tired of my questions.

"I don't know" He said tiredly, and finally looked at me.u

His eyes bore into mine, and I felt myself blushing. He looked so vunerable, but so predator-like at the same time, almost like a lion looking at it's prey one last time killing it; I never knew whether I should fear or admire him.

"Come on" He said, and stood up.

I looked at him with confusion. He couldn't possibly be suggesting...?

"No" He said, reading my mind. "I'm taking you to the backyard., which is fenced. You need to get out for a while." He finished.

 

Minho's POV

The guilt was officially consuming me. But why?  I didn't feel anything for the boy. Except pity? Right?

But there he was, looking so happy for being simply being outside. I watched as he walked barefoot onto the grass, straws peeking between his toes. He laughed a bit, like a melody of heaven, before starting to run and skip around the small version of a decorated feild, being GD's backyard.

I couldn't help but smile when I saw him jumping for an apple at a nearby apple, his back towards me. GD would kill me for this, but just because he was a prisoner, didn't mean I shouldn't give the small bits happiness I could.

Wordlessly, I went to the apple tree and picked the apple from its branch, handing it to him. He smiled at me, took a big bite and then skipped away again.

There was something completely unexplainable about seeing Taemin happy. His happiness pracitcally radiated off him, bringing life to the garden surronding him, in a way it hadn't before. I laughed when I saw a twig in his hair, sticking out randomly. There was nothing more I wanted to do except go up to him from behind and...

And what, exactly? I hated him, I reminded myself. He's putting me in a sticky situation and himself in a even stickier one. He's evil, I repeated. He hates me, and this place, and would jump at any oppertunity to escape.

But still... Standing there, looking at the sun, he almost looked like he was... truly happy.

I looked over towards the house, feeling like someone was staring in the neck of me. Much too true, I saw GD look at us from his oversized office window. He looked like he was about to kill someone. Staring at me with such intense eyes, despite the distance between us, I knew I'd done wrong. He didn't need to say, or do, anything for me to realize I was about to pay for letting Taemin outside.

"Taemin!" I shouted, eyes locked with GD.

A moment later he was standing by my side, looking at me."Yes?" He repiled, smiling.

I finally broke the glaring contest between us and looked at him. "Time to go inside again." I said coldly. I prepared myself  to pounce on him if he tried to run, to take his chance of escaping. To my suprise, he simply smiled sadly and said OK, before starting to make his way back inside.

We went inside again back to his room, small talk along the way. "I'll be back for dinner"  I said and locked the door behind me.

Time to face GD. With confident steps, I quickly walked to his office.

I'd just reached the door when he said "Come in", before I'd gotten a chance to knock.

I walked inside and felt the courage I'd felt before slowly begin to fade into fear. A heavy silence fell upon the room. He stood with his backwards me, staring out the window.

"Why?" He finally asked, no futher words needed.

"Because" I began, cautiously "He needed to go outside. You're keeping him locked up like an animal. He isn't, he's a human being and has a sanity to remain... Sane" I fumbled for a better word.

"And you thought you'd just let him out like that?" He replied, his back still facing me.

"What was I meant to do?!" I shouted at him. Anger building up. Why was I defending him?

"YOU WERE MEANT TO OBEY ME!" He yelled, swirling around to glare at me with such hate in his eyes I felt taken aback.

"YOU BROUGHT HIM HERE, UNDER MY ORDERS, THAT MAKES HIM UNDER MY CONTROL!" He screamed, taking a dangerous step towards me.

"WHY? SO YOU CAN PLAY WITH HIM, HAVE A NEW TOY, HUH?!" I yelled right back, anger turning to a boiling rage within me. I don't know why, but Taemin did not deserve this type of hate, this type of punishment. I don't care what he did, nobody deserves this.

"HE'S A TOY, WITH A SECRET THAT COULD MEAN EVERYTHING TO ME, AND MY FAMILY!" He contiuned, with such fury I swear the ground shook.

"YOU SURE ABOUT THAT?! HE REALLY KNOWS WHY YOU ARE KEEPING HIM CONTAINED, PRIONSED, WITH NO EXPLAINATION OF WHY THE ING HELL HIS LIFE HAS JUST BECOME AS MISERABLE AS IT HAS?!" I shouted right into his face.

I saw the rage in his eyes turn to vunerability, even for the brief moment. I saw his doubt, finally I realized we were getting somewhere "He knows... He has to" GD said, much softer.

"Does he know... Or do you just want him to?" I asked, staring right into his eyes.

He fell to his knees, and I crouched to meet his level.

"I'm so sorry" He whispered, tears running down his face. I'd never seen GD cry before, but at the moment, that didn't seem to matter.

"What is the secret?" I asked carefully, placing a hand on his shoulders.

"He knows... He knows where she is..." He said between tears.

"Where who is" I said. Who was to blame here?

"Sulli... Forgive me" He said, shoulders shaking as he sobbed.

"Sulli? Taemin's sister?" I asked, utterly confused. What did she have to do with anything?

"S-She.. h-has..." He said, words barely getting through his sobs.

"What does Sulli have?" I asked the million-dollar question. The question that would finally make sense of everything that's been happening.

"My child" He said, looking up at me with tear-filled eyes.

 

A/N: Dum-Dum-DERRR!! So the secrets OUT!! (Except the history between GD and Minho ~ more on that later) GD HAS A CHILD?!?! AND SULLI IS THE MOTHER???!!! (Did you see it coming, tell me in the comments :) And he believes Taemin knows where she is?? Do you think he does??

Apologies for such a late chapter... much drama at school happened (I swear, my life should be scripted in a really bad holloywood TV show) and I can't write when I'm angry :( because then the writing turns angry, and (with almost complete certainity) the story would go from romantic lovey-dovey to a mass-masacare of everybody suddenly killing each other in the matter of 2 sentences.

I also found out that my best friend (you know who you are ;) is leaving me for 3 weeks on a holiday, which wasn't exactly happy news either (although i'm happy for her), as she is the only person who a). makes school bearable and b). encourages me to write.

Anyway... Update soon, and please tell me any wishes in the comments (I luuuv feedback ;)