Chapter 4

Lotus Flower

 

You stood patiently under a tree while the maid stood in the sun, fidgeting. **He’s late** you thought as you plucked another leave off the tree.

“Ahem.”

You looked up as the gofer gave you a stern look. You quickly hid the leave behind your back and stood beside the maid.

“The next challenge will test you agility and athletic skills,” he said. “The Crown Prince will need an attendant that can run and move around without being exhausted easily.”

**Athletic skills? Agility?** you thought.

“The best way to prove so is by running up the grand staircase once,” the gofer said.

“The grand staircase!” the maid shrieked. She cleared and composed herself. “Sorry.”

**The grand staircase? What’s that?** you thought.

“Come on,” he said as he walked away.

“Oh my gosh, I don’t think I’m going to make it in now,” the maid whispered. “The grand staircase is one of the longest staircases in the entire kingdom. Only one of the minor princes has made it up the staircase without stopping.”

You gave her a small smiled and nodded. **I should save my breath for what I’m going to deal with next then…**

 

You gulped as you stared at the never ending stairs. **You have got to be kidding me? Under this kind of heat?** you thought.

“So, let’s begin shall we?” he said.

“W-What do we do now?” the maid asked.

“Go!” he shouted.

“Ok,” the maid said as she began to run up towards the top of the stairs. You shook your head as you began to ascend the stairs. You breathed in through your nose and breathed out with your mouth. You soon caught up with the maid. She looked pale and dead. You continued when you heard a thump. You looked down and sighed. You went back down the stairs and grunted as you picked the maid up.

“Come on,” you said as you dragged her up.

“Just leave me here,” she said with a raspy voice. “I can't make it.”

You ignored her comment and continued carrying her up the stairs. You barely took 10 steps before you were out of breath.

“Just finish it without me,” she said.

You sighed as you put her back down on the staircase. “You sure you're okay?” you asked her.

She smiled and nodded. You gulped as you stared at the stairs again. **Here we go** you thought as you continued.

 

Just above the stairs the princes sighed.

“How long is this going to take?” Seongjae whined. “It’s so hot outside.”

“Maybe we shouldn’t have made them do this test,” Hyunsik murmured. “They’re just girls.”

Minhyuk stood by the edge of the stairs, hoping to see you in a short period of time.

“Can we go to our quarters now?” Ilhoon whined. “Princess Eun Kyung is probably waiting for me.”

*Smacks*

“Oww, hyung! How can you hit the Crown Prince?” Ilhoon said as he rubbed the side of his head.

“I don’t care, I already told you to stop saying that when I’m here,” Eunkwang said.

Ilhoon said nothing as he glared at Eunkwang.

Minhyuk sighed as he still haven’t seen you appear yet. **What if she’s just stranded on the middle of the stairs? What if she's dying of thirst?**

BTOB immediately stopped talking when they heard heavy panting. They gasped when they saw the top of your head appear, then the your face, you neck, and soon, you’re whole body. You began to cough when you got up to the last step. You looked up and smiled at their shocked faces. “I guess I win,” you said before your visions turned hazy and everything turned black.