Chapter 17

Lotus Flower

You hummed as you began to dust the shelves. You grimaced at all the dust the books had collected. You blew onto the books and sneezed as the dust entered your nose. However, coughs could be heard from the other side of the room. You stopped dusting and looked towards Ilhoon's desk. He was still working as usual, but he seemed paler.

He emitted another cough; you winced at the sound. He must have fallen sick. You entered into his bedroom and took one of his thicker hanbok and handed it to him. Ilhoon looked up from his work and took the hanbok. 

"Thank you," he said in a coarse voice. "Are you feeling unwell, because-" you asked. 

"No, I'm fine," he cut you off and continued to write. You eyed the pile of papers that were stacked on his table. Ilhoon was sweating but he seemed to be shivering at the same time. He is definitely not fine.  You headed towards the table and poured a cup of hot tea. You handed it to him, waiting for him to drink it. 

Knowing you wouldn't move until he drank it, he obliged. He sighed in relief as the warm fluid glided down his parched throat. He wiped his lips and gave another sigh. He rubbed his tired eyes; I only have a few more days left...he glanced in your direction as you went back to dusting the shelf. I need some time. 

There was a knock on the door before it burst open. "ILHOON!" Eun Kyung glided across the floor and touched his forehead with the back of her hand. She gasped, "You really are sick."

"I am not," he grumbled. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to check up on you, your coughs can be heard outside," she exaggerated.

"Did Minhyuk ask you to come here?" Ilhoon asked without glancing up from his writing.

"O-Of course not!" she shouted. "I mean, why wouldn't I come to visit my dear little brother?" she fibbed. Ilhoon flinched a bit at the words 'little brother'. 

Ilhoon gave another sigh, "I'm fine, you can go now." He knew she didn't want to be here, so why pressure her into doing some she didn't want to do?

"But I'm supposed to take care of you!" she cried.

"I don't need to be taken care of," he muttered.

"But you are sick; are you comfortable? What do you need?" she insisted.

"I am uncomfortable of your presence," he gritted his teeth. She was starting to get on his nerves. If it was one thing that he hated the most, it would be pretending.

"But-"

"The door is that way," you said as you pointed in the direction of the door. "His majesty is busy; please come again another time when he is free." Or you could never come back

Eun Kyung was infuriated by your blunt words. She was never treated this way! Especially not be a lower rank like a servant! Her entire face turned red as she fumed, she opened but was silenced when you grabbed her wrist and dragged her outside. She turned around but you slammed the door. 

"Finally, she was giving me a headache," you muttered. Eun Kyung's irritated cry could be heard outside as she stormed off. Ilhoon tried to hold in his laughter. He couldn't believe you had just said that to Eun Kyung. He laughed and you looked at him in confusion. What's so funny...

However, his laughter soon turned into coughs as he hunched over the table in pain. You quickly ran over and gently patted his back as you were filled with concern.

"Ilhoon, you should take a rest," you said as his coughing slowly disappeared. He shook his head, "There's not enough time."

"Time for what?" you asked; irritated. "What can be more important than your own health?" you fumed, now you were getting angry.

"The kingdom, the people, the country, EVERYTHING!" he shouted before having another coughing fit. This time, you did not pat his back. Your knuckles curled into tight fists, "Well they can wait because if you don't take care of your health, then there is no one to lead them. Without you, they will diminish under other kingdoms!" you shouted. "If you want what's best for everyone, then start taking care of your health first. When you get better, you can continue to improve and benefit the people. But right now, you are in no condition to do so."

Ilhoon stared at you, shocked. Your words finally managed to access his brain. He knew he shouldn't be over working but he felt so pressured from others. He felt like he was expected too much to be...the perfect king. He was predicted to be the next 'Great King'. He flinched as you dropped his blanket onto his lap.

"You don't have to listen to me since I have no right to say so, but at least take care of your self so your cold doesn't get worse," you muttered before exiting his dorm.

No, you do have the right to say so. You're right, I need to take care of myself if I want to take care of others. He looked down at the blanket. However, you are wrong about one thing-you are somebody to me.