Chapter 2

Lotus Flower

 

You sighed as you wiped the sweat away from your forehead. You stood up and stretched, wincing as you heard you several of your bones crack. You stretched your neck around and grabbed the bucket of water with your calloused hands. You dragged it back pass the kitchen and into the small backyard, leaving a trail of water. You poured the water into another large bucket of water. You kneeled down and began to rinse and scrub the clothes.

**Just a few more hours and I’ll be free** you thought.

“Eun Mi!” shouted the ajumma. You looked up and watched as she ran over towards your direction.

“Hurry, the Principal Private Secretary (aka Prince's personal assistant, but I'm just going to use gofer for short) is here. He has some very good news,” she said as he pulled you away from the laundry.

“But I’m not-” you didn’t get to finished as she tugged you away and dragged you back out into the front yard.

You watched as a many lower class maids and slaves gathered around. They giggled as they began to chat with one another.

“What’s going on?” you asked the ajumma.

“They’re having a competition, but it's more of a test of your skills,” she said excitedly.

“Ajumma, are you sure you want to join the competition? What if you break a bone or something?” you asked worriedly.

She laughed as she patted your back, “I’m not joining my dear, you are.”

“Me?” you said. You loved the ajumma since she was the one who always took care of you since you were young. But you didn’t dare tell anyone about your plan to escape, not even her.

“Yes, if you pass then you just might get the chance to become the crown prince’s attendant,” she said.

“But I don’t want to,” you said.

“Why not?” the ajumma said. “You will have nice clothes, good food, and a good place to sleep. It’s much better there than here.”

“I’d rather not,” you said, trying to think of an excuse. “I-I’d rather be with you ajumma,” you said honestly.

“You will see me around. Besides, you can always visit,” she said. “Just try okay? Please.”

You sighed as you nodded, “But there are no guarantees that I will make it in.”

“Good enough,” the ajumma said. “But I still want you to give it your best,” she said. “Put some effort into it.”

“Yes,” you murmured.

 

Just above the building, the BTOB princes stood and watched the scene.

“I bet that girl in the pink hanbok will win,” Peniel.

“Aww hyung, I was going to choose her,” Seongjae whined.

“Too bad, I chose her first,” he said.

“Really? I think the girl in the black dress will win, she looks athletic,” Hyunsik murmured.

“Puh-lease,” Changsub said, “Obviously the girl in the further back is going to win,” he said.

“How do you know?” Seongjae asked.

“Because, I’m smart unlike you,” he said.

“Hyung!” Seongjae said.

“Stop fighting,” Eunkwang said. “Changsub, stop teasing Seongjae.”

“But-”

“Haha,” Seongjae said. “Mehrong,” he said and stuck out his tongue.

“Ilhoon, who do you think is going to win?” Peniel asked.

“None of them,” he said as he stared at his nails. “Can I go back now? I want to see Eun Kyung.”

“Can you not say that when I’m here?” Eunkwang said as he shivered. “She’s my sister for goodness sake.”

“But still, hyung, can’t you help me get closer with her?” Ilhoon whined. The princes turned around when they heard heavy footsteps.

“Sorry I’m late,” Minhyuk said as he took several deep breaths.

“You have to stop practicing on sword fighting,” Changsub said as he fanned himself.

Minhyuk ignored him and asked, “So what are you guys up to?”

“Oh, we made a bet with Ilhoon that one of the lower maids or slaves are going to make it in to being his new attendant,” Peniel said.

“I’m not part of this,” Ilhoon grunted.

“Yes you are,” Seongjae said. “If you don’t, you’re not going to get to see Eun Kyung noona,” he said.

Ilhoon knocked Seongjae on the head and growled, “Stop calling her noona.”

Seongjae pouted as he rubbed the sore spot.

Minhyuk glanced down and looked away when someone caught his eyes. “Oh, it’s her again,” he said.

“Oh, who?” Peniel said as he leaned against the concrete railing.

“The one in the dark green hanbok,” Minhyuk said. “I choose her.”

“Aww I should’ve chose her,” Peniel grunted.

“Then I get the one in the pink right?” Seongjae said.

“No, I called her first,” Peniel said.

“Fine, gosh, don’t have to be so touchy,” Seongjae said. “I’ll pick the girl in the purple hanbok then.”

“Okay so did everyone pick someone?” Peniel said. "Losers has to...dress up as a girl for the whole day."

“I’m not part of this,” Eunkwang said as he backed away.

“Fine,” Peniel said. He snapped his fingers as one of the servants nodded and headed down stairs.

 

You watched as the Gofer just stood there. **Why is he so silent? Shouldn’t he be instructing us?**

Suddenly a servant appeared, your eyes watched as he thumbed up. The Gofer nodded and opened the scroll. “Ahem,” he said as he waited for silence.

“The Crown Prince is looking for a new attendant and one of you will be lucky to work alongside for him,” he said. A bunch of squeals of delights were heard. You rolled your eyes as you continued to listen.

“However, you must first past the test held in order to be chosen,” he said. He stepped off the stool and walked away. Your eyes followed him as he walked into one of the buildings. You looked up towards the top of the building and saw a group of boys laughing.

**So they think this is a joke? Well, let’s see about that** you thought. **Wait…what am I saying? I’m supposed to be leaving, I can’t stay…** You took out a hair pin inside your hanbok. **I need to find her…** you thought as your hands tightened around the hair pin. 

2838186w3mzgxp91y.gif

Hi Melodies ^^

So I am still trying to learn more about the Joseon time period and I am still new to this. So if I happened to make any mistakes, just tell me and I'll fix is ASAP. Thanks, hope you like the fanfic so far :D

-iHartCupcakes (: