Chapter 12

Lotus Flower

Ilhoon sat down by his seat. He put the basket down on his desk and opened the drawer. He took out some white linen bandage and some salve. He sighed as he stared down at his hands. They were now ruined with cuts and burns. He stared back at the basket and his hands.

*Sigh*

"How am I supposed to write now?" he thought sadly. Suddenly, he heard footsteps.

"Jeon-ah?"

**Shoot** he thought as he tried to hide the basket. But he was too slow, so he quickly sat on his desk and blocked the basket. You walked into the room and asked, "Do you need anything?"

"No, nothing at all," he said.

You gave him a curious look. **Nothing?...Huh...something doesn't seem right** you looked at him and realized he was sitting on top of his desk. "Jeon-ah..." you said.

"Hmm?" he asked.

"Why are you sitting on your desk?" you asked.

"No reason, why can't I sit on my own desk?" he asked.

"Uh...maybe because you are sitting on a puddle of ink?" you said.

"WHAT?" he shouted and quickly jumped off the desk. Sure enough, there was a puddle of ink. He must've spilled it while he was sitting on the desk. He looked backwards as you tried to hold in your giggles. His clothes was soaked in black ink. But the funny thing was, it was soaked around his behind.  

"Aish," he said as he tried to cover it. "I'm going to go and change, don't move." He walked into another room as you waited in his room. Your giggles stopped as your eyes fell on the basket. **What's that?** You headed towards it and opened the lid. Inside was chicken soup and some porridge. **Why does he have this?**

"Yah! What are you doing?"

You quickly covered the lid, "I-I was just looking..."

Ilhoon quickly grabbed the basket and put it in his closet. You gasped, "Jeon-ah! Your hand!" 

He hid it behind his back, "It's nothing," he said. "Let's go, I have to meet the Empress."

You held him back and glared at him, "I think she can wait. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if you're excuse of lateness was to patch up your wound." He pulled him down onto his seat. You opened his drawer and took out the linen bandage and salve.

"H-How did you know that was there?" he asked.

"You told me to get used to your room and so I did," you said simply. You gently grabbed his hand and rolled up his sleeve. You grimaced at the wound, but said nothing. You open the jar of salve and said, "This might burn a bit." You gently swiped some salve onto the tips of your fingers and gently applied it on the cuts and burns. He winced, it burned...a lot. You blew on the cut while continuing to apply it on. Ilhoon looked at your face, you looked calm and serene. He watched as your mouth puckered outwards to blow on the cut.

"Done," you said. He quickly looked away as you began to wrap the bandage around his hand. "There, that should do it," you said. "You'll need to apply this day and night," you said as you put back the salve and bandage in the drawer. "Jeon-ah?"

"What?" he said.

"You're face looks a bit red," you said. You quickly touched his forehead, "But you're not burning up," you muttered. He quickly flicked your forehead, "We're going to be late, and this time it would be your fault." He walked away as you pouted and rubbed the spot he had flicked. "Geez, a thank you would've been nice."

Ilhoon smiled **Thank you Eun Mi**

---

"Mother," Ilhoon said as he bowed to the Empress.

"Ilhoon, how are you doing?" she asked.

"Well," he said simply. She nodded, and glanced as his hands. "What happened to your hands?"

"Nothing," he said. "Just a small accident." The Empress looked at him, "You aren't the type to get into accidents."

"Well, there is always a first to everything," he said. The Empress sighed and nodded, "Alright."

"What did you call me here for today?" Ilhoon asked.

"I wanted to tell you that I want you to assist your father," she said with a sigh. "He's been very depressed lately. It must be those pushy, old governors. You are the only one who can handle them, you're father is just too nice," she sighed.

"Yes," he said with a bow. "Is there anything else?" he asked.

"No, you may go," she said. He bowed once more and headed out towards the door.

---

The Empress walked out of the palace with her trusty attendant, Ajumma, following. She looked down and saw Ilhoon leaving the entrance, followed by another female.

"Ajumma, who is that girl?" she asked.

"Oh, that would be Eun Mi," she said with a bright smile. "Remember the baby I brought in 17 years ago? Well, that would be her."

The Empress watched as you tried to catch up to Ilhoon. You pouted as he walked faster. But the Empress saw something that you didn't see, Ilhoon smiled playfully. The Empress smiled, **He finally looks happy, I feel relieved. At least something good is happening to him** She sighed as she headed back into the palace. "Ajumma, have you heard any news?"

She sighed sadly, "No, your highness. She still has not been found."

The Empress looked down sadly, "It's been so long, 17 years...where could she be?"

-17 years ago-

*Knock knock*

"It-It is me, Ajumma."

"Come in," the Empress said.

Ajumma stepped into the room and gently closed the door. "How is he?"

"Fine," the Empress said, rocking the one year old Ilhoon gently in her arms. She looked up and frowned, "Is something wrong?"

The Ajumma looked up with teary eyes, "They've-they've attacked."

The Empress widened in shock, "Already? But there is still 2 days left!"

"They've lost their patience," the Ajumma said.  

"What about Empress and Emperor Park?" the Empress asked pleadingly.

The Ajumma cried, the Empress harshly grabbed her arm, "What happened to them? TELL ME!" Baby Ilhoon began to cry, awakened by the noise. This time, the Empress did nothing to silence his cries.

"Emperor Park was slaughtered," the Ajumma said. "We are unsure on the whereabouts of Empress Park." The Empress's eyes filled with tears, "Go...go and send the guards. NOW!" The Ajumma quickly left the room while wiping away her tears. Only baby Ilhoon's cries were heard in the silent room. Tears slid down her eyes as she cried. She hugged Ilhoon and cried, "Please don't be dead. Please..." 

-End of Flash back-

"I know she's alive...somewhere," she murmured. "But where?"