A Night's Moment

1000 Year Old Angel Wish

 

"Sometimes it only takes the night to brighten the true colors of others"
 
****
 
 
 
"K-Key." Onew stuttered as he looked at the moonlit ceiling.
 
"Hm?" Came Key's soft mumble.
 
He lay next to Onew in the cover with his back to the man. The room lay pitch dark except for the bit of light that the moon let it from the window. Onew blinked aimnously at the ceiling; his hands  intersected with one another and his body laying on the cover that Key lay in. His feet crossed across one another. He laid next to Key as if he was in a coffin looking to Heaven itself.
 
"You still not sleeping?" Key managed to mumble out as he coozied up to his pillow.
 
"Ani. I'm starting to think you were wrong in your suggestion yesterday." He commented.
 
Key scrunched up his eyebrows and turned his body around so that his eyes looked upon the side of Onew's face.
 
"Onew, what are you talking about?" He grumbled.
 
Onew turned his head as well.
 
"Yesterday, when you suggested that me thinking of Minho in a negative sort of manner was from lack of human sleep." He answered.
 
"Onew," he sighed, "you know that wasn't yesterday."
 
"Deh?"
 
"That wasn't yesterday. I told you about that almost two weeks ago. Don't you remember? I mean seriously Onew, Minho and Taemin have visted at least three more times since then."
 
Onew pushed up his lips in question.
 
"Ah...if so, mianhe. When you spend so much time in the Heavens, one day seems like one minute. I suppose I'm still getting use to the time down here." He replied.
 
"Well, that's something you're defiantely gonna have to get use to." He chuckled. "But Onew, you really shouldn't pressure yourself. This whole Heaven test thingy probably takes alot longer than you imagined. It'll probably takes months or a year...who knows." Key stated.
 
"Ah, I didn't think of it that way. But, has it really been almost two weeks?"
 
"Deh, remember, I'm gonna be getting this cast off though I still have to wear that little ankle wrap thingy because they said my ankle will still be in some pain. Does time really go that fast for you in your head?" His voice was grougy.
 
"Deh. Like I told you, I should be getting use to the time down here though as you see, that might take a while."
 
"Yeah I see." He laughed. "Onew?"
 
"Hm?"
 
"I know you explained it to me like a dozen times, but aren't you gonna miss being an angel. Forget the living for years or what not. But what about the power? Like you told me all those things that angels could do. You know, deep down I don't think I'm suppose to know all the things you were telling me." Key replied.
 
"Why would you say that? If it wasn't something that you were suppose to know, the Heavens wouldn't have let me speak. And as for the power? No, I won't miss it. Then again, maybe I will. It all depends on my emotions when I have more than two of them."
 
"That's one thing I don't understand." Key stated.
 
"Which is?"
 
"It feels like I'm in a drama or something. When a creature or something not human wants to become human. A being who is so magnificant wants to become a being that has nothing. Humans can't do much. We walk on foot, eat if we can, struggle, destroy eachother or make one another happy. Being human is diffiult."
 
"That's just it. Humans are interesting and particular. They endure, fight, struggle. At least you all have something about you to do everyday. You have all these emotions, you get to experience all these things but being what I am, one cannot. We're stuck with two emotions, obey orders, drag souls around, live in the brighest place in all the universe. Look at this," Onew gestured his arm towards the moon as he sat up, "We don't recieve this in the Heavens. Look at you and your friends. You battle them each day but at the same time you can laugh. There are poor people out there that cry because of their situation and do their best to overcome. I had that experience when I was human once and I want it back. I never complained about my life. Me and my brother, we struggled and because of that, I thought life interesting."
 
"I guess I see what you're saying." Key sighed.
 
There was a long yawn.
 
"But Onew."
 
"Deh."
 
"If you keep waking me up in the middle of the night because you can't sleep, you won't be able to become human."
 
"A-Ah, deh." Onew smiled, playfully scratching the back of his head.
 
Key adjusted his body and Onew watched as his human closed his eyes and descended upon sleep. Onew smiled but stopped when he felt something. His eyes darted from side to side, then turned towards the window where the moon's light ushered inside.
 
"Is it?" He whispered to himself.
 
Quickly, he lightly hopped off the bed as not to wake Key and opened up the window. His head tilted towards the dark sky but saw nor heard anything. A soft sigh came out his lips.
 
"Jonghyun...Is that you?" He whispered.
 
There was no answer.
 
"If it's you, I know you can hear me."
 
****
 
Jonghyun stood on the roof of the house after putting away his wings. His brother almost caught sight of him. He almost forgot that the man could still sense him until he became human.
 
"If it's you, I know you can hear me." His brother whispered to him.
 
Jonghyun looked down at the rooftop tiles and said nothing. He knew his brother could not see him from where he sat so maybe he would think he was hearing illusional noises.
 
"Araso, then I'll talk." Onew stated.  "I thought you didn't like me anymore?" He asked.
 
Jonghyun said nothing.
 
"I should've known better though. You wouldn't keep coming to visit me if you did not care. As an angel, we only get two emotions, so I understood why you were angry for so long and why it was hard to turn it off. You're not still angry at me, are you?" He asked.
 
Jonghyun's eyes dashed from side to side, but he neither furrowed his eyebrows nor said anything. Inside he felt the fire of anger building up, but he couldn't help it. With only happiness or anger, there was only anger. He still did not approve of his brother's situation.
 
"I suppose you're not angry anymore? We've been brothers for too long for you to keep staying mad at me. Jonghyun, when I think of you, my heart flutters. I think it's a human emotion making it's way into my body. I talked about it when Key during the week. He said it's called Love." Onew paused and took a deep breath. "Do you remember that feeling we had for eachother? That brotherly love we contained? Remember when we we're humans? Brother we loved each other so much, we would do anything for one another, but I had to do this for myself."
 
Jonghyun motioned his eyes up just a bit.
 
"Mianhe Jonghyun. A good older brother wouldn't abondon his dongsaeng. You must forgive me and someday we'll meet in better circumstances. I love you Jonghyun, don't forget that. Some human emotions aren't for nothing." He assured.
 
Jonghyun began to scrunch his eyebrows when he heard his brother's words. Still, he said nothing and with that nothing he flew away.
 
****
 
Onew kept his head out the door but could feel a loss of prescene. His eyes lowered towards the floor as he closed the window.
 
"He's gone." He whispered to himself.
 
****
 
Jonghyun flew over to another building and sat on the rooftop.
 
"Say, Heavens." Jonghyun mumured, his words speaking to the heavens above as he looked at the bright full moon that covered the sky.
 
"If I were human at this very moment, would I be crying? Or is it possible for angels to cry? I feel that I should feel bad for my brother but not in the way I am now." He spoke.
 
There was no answer.
 
"Then again... he chose the human." His anger came back again and began to rise.
 
"He-" Jonghyun stopped his sentence and tilted his head. "Heavens, why is it that none of your words are coming to me?" He asked.
 
There was no answer. Jonghyun began to stand up from where he sat.
 
"Ani, something is wrong." He whispered. 
 
He looked down at the ceiling rooftop.
 
"There's something suspicious about this house." 
 
****
 
"Minho oppa." Taemin whispered, tugging on the side of his lover.
 
Minho slowly opened up his eyes and looked at his boyfriend.
 
"Taemin ah, didn't I tell you not to call me that." He mumbled.
 
Taemin smirked a bit.
 
"I think it's cute though." He whispered.
 
"What's the matter?" Minho asked.
 
Taemin looked up towards the ceiling.
 
"Do you ever feel like no matter where you're going you're being watched?" He asked.
 
"Taemin ah, just like you tell me when I'm feeling crazy, it's just the heavens looking down upon us."
 
"Ah, deh." Taemi nodded.
 
"But Taemin ah...."
 
"Deh"
 
"Let me ask you this." Minho's eyes became a bit more alert.
 
"Deh?"
 
"Do you actually believe in the heavens?"
 
Taemin chuckled.
 
"Of course I do. It was them who brought together you and me. Remember what I said when I first saw you, there was an attraction. I had to get to know you. Who else do you think did that?"
 
"You're eyes staring at me." He joked.
 
"Deh, that was part of it to. But of course it was the heavens who brought us together. Remember that. You should've remembered that before you broke that necklace I bought you."
 
"Mianhe yeobo." Minho apologized.
 
"It's fine, I can get another one. Just don't accidently step on it again like you told me you did in the bathroom. Put it around your neck right away." He poked Minho's neck playfully.
 
"Ah, araso. Now go back to sleep, it's the middle of the night."
 
"Deh." Immediately on command, the boy  closed his eyes. 
 
Minho smiled while scratching the back of his shoulder. His eyes motioned towards the ceiling.
 
"He's so strange sometimes." He whispered to himself, watching his lover.