The Fallen

1000 Year Old Angel Wish
"Even the ways of the Heavens are mysterious and some questions can never be answered.
 
****
 
 
 
 
 
"You're a fallen." Jonghyun repeated.
 
His eyes stayed wide with horror and even more he profiled Minho right in front of him. A fallen? He heard stories of them, but he assumed they were just stories. Never had he seen one right before his eyes before. Then again, the stories were told by older angels and as angels cannot lie, why would the stories be just a story?
 
"Jonghyun." Minho whispered again in awe.
 
Jonghyun furrowed his eyebrows and began to look at him differently. How did this outcast know of him?
 
"Jonghyun." Minho said again, beginning to step closer.
 
"Keep away from me." Jonghyun commanded as he stepped away and Minho stepped foward. "You are a poison and a disgrace to the Heavens. Do not touch me!"
 
"A disgrace? To the Heavens?" Minho chuckled.
 
"Do you even know your Heavens so well. All you know is that I wear the mark of the fallen. Do you even know why? You love your precious Heavens, but do you really know why?" Minho continued.
 
"I love the Heavens because they protect me everyday and guide me through the life of an angel!" He yelled.
 
"You are blinded by their sincereity. I admit, that you are my fault." He said, stepping closer.
 
Again, Jonghyun stepped back and looked upon the man in a questionable manner.
 
"I'm you're fault? What do you mean Fallen." 
 
"My name is not Fallen. Do not speak of me so! Jonghyun, you had a brother did you not...." He scrunched his eyebrows as he tried to think.
 
"Is it Onew?" He went on to ask. "Is that why he looked so fimiliar in my eyes? But how..."
 
"You speak of us as if we know of you!" Jonghyun yelled. "How!"
 
"Jonghyun-"
 
"How!" Jonghyun screamed.
 
****
 
"Key~" Onew moaned, pressing the man in the shoulder with his finger. 
 
He wiggled his body to wear he sat up. It was a struggle, seeing as right side of him was bandaged up, but he still managed. When he looked towards the window, the sun neither shined too brightly or was dim, so he figured it was probably somewhere in the afternoon. 
 
"Key~" Onew moaned again.
 
Suddenly the man popped from his slumber and quickly lifted his body up as he looked around frantically.
 
"What! What's wrong! Is it your wing?!" He yelled looking from left to right.
 
Onew smiled and with his left hand, lightly touched the man's shoulder.
 
"Ani. Key, you should be at work now." He answered.
 
"No, no, I'm fine. The office called and told me I can take as much time as I need off." The man replied, rubbing one of his eyes.
 
"What about Taemin and Mi-"
 
"They called already too." Key smiled.
 
"They told me that the police want me to come in and make a confession. I have to go to the hospital first and get myself checked out to make sure I don't have any serious injuries. I already talked to all these people while you were still sleeping." He continued.
 
"Have you gone to the hospital and police as well?" Onew asked.
 
"Ani." Key answered with a shrug.
 
"Why? You need to make sure you are alright."
 
"Onew, you caught me in the midst of falling. How much of alright do I have to be?" 
 
Onew bent over and placed his finger on top of Key's bandages that wrapped around his head. 
 
"It seems you were injured before I came, which means you have to be seen anyway." Onew said.
 
"Yeah, yeah, I'll go. I know if I say I won't, you'll just hassle me about the whole thing. I'm sure I'm okay though, didn't pass out or anything in the last couple of hours." He joked. 
 
"Just make sure you go." Onew whispered. 
 
He bent his body back into it's original position, making sure the wall behind him didn't touch his injured wing.  His other wing still folded behind him, so it made the whole sitting position even more awkward. To make it even worse, his 'okay' wing wouldn't retract back into his body because the other one was too injured to do so and both his wings had to be alright in order to retract back into his skin.
 
"I'll make sure I'll go to the hospital and the police later on today." Key assured. 
 
"But what about you?" He asked, looking at Onew in a worrisome manner.
 
"Me?" The man asked.
 
"Not sure if you can see yourself, but you're not really in an okay shape. I can't just leave you hear alone. Who knows what can happen to you. What if you die or something because the wing won't heal." 
 
"Key," Onew smiled, "you don't have to worry, I won't die because of this wing. It is just a punishment from the Heavens for disobeying them. It is said that the only thing that can kill an angel is a weapon made by the Heavens. So I am safe. Plus, I have already died."
 
Key tried his best to smile at the man's joke, but as his lips curved into one, they immediately went down into a frown.
 
"I still don't feel right about the whole thing." Key responded.
 
"Really, Key, do not worry."
 
"But Onew, you stopped healing, what if you're wing doesn't get better and you never get the chance to retract your wings back." He said.
 
"Still, I will be fine." Onew assured him once again. "Like I said, I died before."
 
There was a moment of silence between the two, then suddenly Key decided to speak.
 
"Onew, speaking of which...." His words trailed off as he really thought about what he was going to say.
 
"Yes?" The man asked.
 
"How did you, you know. The first time you died, how did it happen?" Key asked.
 
Onew stared into the air for a moment as if thinking about the question sincerely. When minutes went by of silence, Key assumed that his question was out of order and was going to drop it, but suddenly Onew shrugged his shoulders.
 
"I don't know." He answered in a whisper.
 
"You-you don't know?" Key stuttered. 
 
"As I told you when I first met you, I was the first one to die. I suppose me and my brother's death was quick. If anyone should know, it would be my brother, for he died after me and as I told you before, he died, came back, and died again. I suppose I could have asked him for the last one thousand years of what happened, but when we died, we swore we would never speak of it." Onew replied.
 
"Why? For someone who wanted to become a human again, I would think you of all people would want to know." Key replied.
 
"I suppose. But the thought always occured to me when the question would arise in my mind as it does your's: I am already dead. There is nothing I can change about the past that would not lead me here, so the best thing I could do was pray to the Heavens to give me another chance at life. Jonghyun never seemed sudden to tell me about our deaths and after being an angel for one thousand years, the memory of our deaths has probably escaped him, or even blurred a little. It's not like he came back to life for a long time, it was only for a couple of seconds." Onew continued.
 
"O-Oh," Key stuttered. "Sorry I asked. I didn't mean to bring you down or anything."
 
Onew smiled and gently touched the man's back.
 
"You didn't. It's just not something that I need to worry about anymore. It wasn't really something I ever had to worry about. The only thing I had to worry about then and I have to now, is becoming human. That is my only goal. Even if the odds are against me." And just for that moment, Onew's thoughts went towards his brother.
 
****
 
Jonghyun sat in the clouds and closed his eyes as he tried to reach the Heavens, but just as he tried the first, second, third, and fourth time, there was no answer. Why wouldn't the Heaven's answer him? Was there something that he was not suppose to know? Did he break a rule by meeting a Fallen? There was so many questions that he had to ask. He even wanted to meet with an older angel and talk about Fallens, so that he had more information about Minho, but everyone seemed to be busy. Either that or the Heavens contacted each and every one of them and told them not to speak of the Fallen to him. He sighed and decided to give up, because no matter how much he tried, he knew that they weren't going to answer back. So instead, he sat and thought about his conversation with Minho.
 
 
"Is it Onew?" He went on to ask. "Is that why he looked so fimiliar in my eyes? But how..."
 
"You speak of us as if we know of you!" Jonghyun yelled. "How!"
 
"Jonghyun-"
 
"How!" Jonghyun screamed.
 
"If your mind does not remember," Minho said in a calmer voice, "then it is better that way. My heart is more at ease, knowing that the one I am at fault of, doesn't remebering my wrong doing."
 
"Your wrong doing?" Jonghyun questioned.
 
"Why-" he stopped himself and shook his head, "nevermind that, what are you doing with a human?!" 
 
Minho pursed his lips and stepped back.
 
"My business wtih a human is none of your concern." Minho replied.
 
"As an angel of the Heavens, every human's safety is of my concern."
 
"Safety?" Minho questioned. "Are you saying that Taemin is not in safety amongst my hands?"
 
"Precisely! You spoke of it yourself! That whatever you did to me is of your wrong  doing. You are a sinner and an outcast of the Heavens. If you weren't, you would not have the mark on your body and it would not burn me because it is inpure!" Jonghyun yelled.
 
"Watch your tongue!" Minho yelled back, pointing his finger. "Like I spoke of before, you do not know your Heavens as I do. I am an original angel! Not born from death, but born from the Heavens themselves. So do not speak to me as if you know all the secrets they hide from you poor angels born from the souls of the dead who cannot be reborn!"
 
Minho's anger exceeded him, but when he realized what had came out of his mouth, he stopped his words altogether. Jonghyun stepped back as well and looked at Minho in disbelief.
 
"Cannot be reborn?" Jonghyun asked. "What do you speak of Fallen?
 
Minho shook his head and turned around to walk away.
 
"I don't-this isn't something to speak of. And I sure as hell not going to keep responding to that name." He began to walk away.
 
"Fa-Minho wait." Jonghyun quickly said.
 
Minho stopped and turned around.
 
"What do you mean, cannot be reborn?" He asked again, but this time much softer.
 
Minho pursed his lips.
 
"It has been a thousand years, which mean that you have been an angel for a thousand years. I do not know your position as an angel of the Heavens, but havent' you seen souls come to the Heavens to stay in Heaven or go to hell? Have you ever seen those souls as angels at all?" Minho asked.
 
Jonghyun said nothing in silence, because as he thought about it, Minho was right. Never had he seen any of the souls he dealt with or any souls in that matter, become angels.
 
"Haven't you always seen the same angels around?" Minho asked.
 
Again, Jonghyun said nothing because once again, Minho was right.
 
"You were shocked to see me but you knew of my kind, which means that you know of the Fallen as most likely just stories. I don't know how much of the stories about us you know-"
 
"I know," Jonghyun interrupted, "that you all became Fallen because you interferred with humans lives' even though you were banned not to. That is all I know."
 
"Well then, there is something you don't know. All souls that go to either Heaven or Hell are destined to be reborn. That's just the way things work."
 
"Then why weren't me and my brother?" Jonghyun asked.
 
Minho breathed and looked down in disappointment.
 
"Tell me!" He commanded.
 
"Your mind as forgotten, so this isn't something I wanted you to know. I-"
 
"Tell me!" He yelled once again.
 
"The Heavens knew that once they made the rule that no angel could interfere with a human unless it was somehow apart of their job; they knew that there was going to be those angels who disobeyed.  So they did something." Minho replied.
 
"What did they do."
 
"There are two types of angels that work in the Heavens. Those who were originally made by the Heavens and poor souls that died because of an angel's mistake. And those angels that have made that mistake also became apart of the Fallen. Because those angels caused a death of a human that was not suppose to die at the time, your souls cannot be reborn.." The words came out slow but when they did, Jonghyun couldn't help but look wide eyed in horror.
 
"A-Are you saying that y-you are the reason me and my brother died. Y-You caused our deaths? Me and my brother never had the chance to be reborn because we were never suppose to  die?"
 
"It was a mistake Jonghyun! I was-"
 
"You are lying!" Jonghyun yelled, beginning to spread out his wings. "You are a Fallen and not an angel. You are able to lie! What you tell me is something you've made up to cover for your sin!"
 
"That was apart of my sin!" Minho yelled.
 
"You lie! The Heavens would never do something of that manner!" Jonghyun yelled.
 
"You do not know your Heavens as I do!" Minho argued back.
 
But Jonghyun shook his head as to not listen and flew off before he could hear anything else.
 
 
"We cannot be reborn because of Minho." Jonghyun whispered to himself.
 
He wasn't sure what to think and now as he thought about the angels that weren't originals, he felt sad for them. But the more he thought of Minho, the more the man looked familiar in his eyes. Suddenly, a memory of the past came about through his head.
 
 
 
"Onew~" Jonghyun moaned, touching his bloody brother as he himself only saw blurred vision. 
 
His body stayed in it's laying position on the ground and wouldn't move. His head moved to the side and he could see his a boy running towards him. And for a second his vision cleared and far away standing behind the running boy, in silence he swore it was a man with wings. But the look didn't last long, for everything dissolved in black.
 
 
"It was Minho." Jonghyun whispered.