Broken

1000 Year Old Angel Wish
"Which can hurt worse, an angel's broken heart, or an angel's broken wing..."
 
****
 
 
"Ani, Onew, the papers go over in that file." Key huffed out.
 
"Deh, Mianhe." He apologized before grabbing the papers off his desk and opening a file in the cabinet. 
 
Key crossed his arms and looked over at the man. How long was it going to take for Onew to adjust to the human life, he wondered. He didn't think it was going to be this long in all truth. Onew looked down into the opened cabinet and carefully start sorting out the papers. His long lashes began to cast a shadow over his cheeks ever so lightly as he looked down and staring at this only made Key remember the night before. Onew's soft skin was touching his as the man stumbled over in slumber. Yes, he remembered it clearly.
 
"Did something happen?" He heard Onew's voice ask.
 
Key popped out of his wonderland and raised his eyebrows in question.
 
"Wha?" He asked.
 
"You are smiling." Onew answered, pointing his finger at the boy's lips.
 
Key quickly placed his hands over his mouth, trying to cover up the smile that seemed to seep its way out.
 
"I-I was just thinking of a joke." He lied.
 
"Ahhh."
 
"Onew, don't wear yourself out with all that paperwork, lunch is about to start." He announced, looking up at the clock that hung on the wall.
 
Onew let out a sigh of relief and immediately stopped what he was doing. Key heard it for a just a second and scrunched up his nose.
 
"You're not even doing hard work, what the hell are you sighing about?" He retorted.
 
"Key, I think you heard wrong. I was not sighing, just letting out a bit of relief you can say." He smiled.
 
Key wiggled his finger and narrowed his eyes at the man.
 
"Look at you, already getting situated with human ways. Lieing and all."
 
"It is not a lie Key. Just a simple rephrase of your statement." He grimanced.
 
Key pursed his lips and got up from his seat.
 
"Well you can go ahead and go find somewhere to eat lunch, I'll join in a little bit." Key said.
 
"Why are you not joining me?"
 
"I have to talk to another employee about something before they start break."
 
"Then  I can just wait." Onew replied.
 
Key rolled his eyes and walked over to him. With a smile he placed his hands on Onew's shoulders and pushed him forward and out the office.
 
"Onew, you don't have to always wait for me. These are also the things when becoming human. I told you that I'll meet you when I'm done."
 
"But how do you know where I'll be at?" He asked.
 
Again Key rolled his eyes.
 
"Onew, remember that little device I bought you a while ago while we were shopping. Remember how I told you it was called a cellphone and what to do with it?"
 
"D-Deh." The words slowly came out as Onew thought back.
 
The screen was somewhat large and very flat. The outside case was white and Key had showed him so many things that could be done with this object. It had amazed him how the ways of the humans had evovled since he was last alive. Still, he nodded his head when he thought of it.
 
"You'll see a message pop up from me and it's going to be asking where you're at. You text back the way I showed you and I'll come find you. Araso?" He smiled.
 
Dumbfounded, Onew simply nodded his head.
 
"Don't take long." He added before Key lead him to the outside of the building.
 
"Yeah yeah, I got you Onew, stop worrying and just go find somewhere to eat."
 
"O-" But the man stopped mid-sentence and looked up towards the sky.
 
Key saw this and as Onew did, he tilted his head towards the clouds, but saw nothing.
 
"Onew?" He asked, but the man said nothing in return.
 
"Onew?" He asked again, and this time, with an added shake of Key's hands on Onew's shoulders, the man snapped out of it.
 
"Deh?" He asked.
 
"Are you alright? You keep doing that. Stopping and looking up at the sky." He answered, pointing upwards.
 
Onew placed a smile on his face.
 
"I'm fine. I simply assumed I saw something. But I suppose I was wrong." He added.
 
"Araso, now go find a place while I hurry and go find this employee before he leaves for lunch."
 
"Araso." And with a simple tap on the shoulders, Onew turned around and walked away.
 
Key watched, from the side of the building, how the man still looked up at the clouds every once and while as he walked. He could tell that his mind was elsewhere. Did Onew lie when Key asked him if he was alright.
 
"No, there's no way Key. Angels can't lie." He told himself aloud, in a whisper.
 
But Onew had said it himself, that he wasn't going to be an angel forever, afterall, he did fall asleep the other night. Key nodded his head to his own thoughts and made his way back inside the building.
 
"Joon ki!" He yelled as he walked around the employees making their way out.
 
He turned a corner and looked throughout the cuiticles.
 
"Joon ki!" He yelled again. 
 
"Joon-" His breath went short when he heard a click and a soft breath that whispered in his ear...'don't move.'
 
****
 
"I should have looked at the street signs better." Onew murmured to himself looking up towards the green signs that covered each corner.
 
"I have no idea where I just walked." He continued and that's when he saw it.
 
There was that shadow again that it seemed only he could see, for as it passed over him and a group of people, no one seemed to notice. The shadow seemed to fly and make it's way over to an alley. Onew pursed his lips and quickly ran towards the direction, only to end no where. The shadow seeped into the other shadows that seemed to cover the alleyway.
 
"Yah! Jonghyun! Is that you!" He yelled.
 
There was no answer, but he did realize his yelling made heads turn from random people on the street, looking towards the alleyway with furrowed eyebrows.
 
"Right, I'm human now." He whispered to himself.
 
Sometimes, he still had to get use to the fact that everyone could see him.
 
"Jonghyun." He whispered. "I know it is your shadow. Will you not come see me?"
 
Before he could say anything else, a hand came and swooped him off his feet and towards the sky. Quickly, he swooshed into the sky and gently he landed on his feet. Surprised, Onew turned around only to find that he was on a roof and in front of him, only a few steps ahead, was Jonghyun.
 
"Jonghyun?" He questioned. 
 
The mysterious man turned around so that he was facing his older brother. His face was stern and there was no expression that read in his eyes that he was happy to see his brother at all.
 
"So it was you." He continued to speak.
 
"I knew if I did not answer your call, you would keep to it, even though hundreds of people could see you. You should consider yourself lucky, seeing as I really shouldn't be doing this, as this is not the will of the Heavens. You could have simply teleported to my spot if you can still sense me, instead of calling to me." Jonghyun replied.
 
"Just because I can sense you, doesn't mean that I can still teleport. I may still have some abilities, but teleporting is not one of them. I lost that ability a while ago. It wouldn't benefit me anyway, for I must walk as the other humans do."
 
"That explains your abrut calling. You are not one for using the word 'Yah.'" Jonghyun replied.
 
"Let's get past that. That's not important at the moment. The real question is, why have you been following me for the past couple of days?" Onew asked.
 
"Excuse me?"
 
"Jonghyun, you cannot try to hide the truth. I know you can't lie, so that would be impossible, so don't try to hide it from me. Why have you been scouting me out for the past couple of days?" He asked once again.
 
Jonghyun said nothing, but instead looked up to the sky and finally he nodded his head.
 
"What was that?" Onew asked.
 
"It was the Heavens. They're allowing me to tell you my mission even though I was told not to earlier."
 
"Your mission?"
 
"Exactly so. I was assigned to watch over not only you, but your Key and his friends." He answered.
 
"Me, Key, AND his friends? Why would you have to watch over all of us."
 
"That is for me and the Heavens to know. You are no longer apart of the angel world, so you need no access to this information."
 
"No access!" Onew hollered. "Jonghyun I'm your older bro-"
 
"I will tell you this brother. Those two friends of Key. I watched over them a while ago and their aura is a bit out of the ordinary. I would advise you to keep away from them." Jonghyun said sternly.
 
"Well, I felt something odd about Minho, though he is said to be the quiet one and I do find him a bit strange, but Taemin is another thing. I felt nothing and he is harmless. He only harbors a bit of jealously." Onew stated. "There's nothing-"
 
"Stay away from them." Jonghyun repeated more direct. "If you were not my older brother, I would not be telling you so, but I believe it is better if you stay away from them. As I said before, you are no longer apart of the angel world, which may be a reason why you sense nothing from this Taemin as you stated. Once all your angel abilities disappear, you will feel nothing from this Minho as well, so it is better that you distance yourself away from them. And with that said, you should stay away from Key as well. With friends who carry these kinds of auras, he can only mean more bad news. Stop this charade of wanting to become human. It is not too late to change your mind."
 
Onew laughed.
 
"Jonghyun, are you still hovering over the possibilty that I want to stay an angel? After all that  I have done? There is no way that I am going to keep away from Key. Now that he's showing me the human ways and how to be normal, he is my one and only Key to becoming human. There is no way I am going to change my mind, even if you get strange auras from Minho and Taemin." Onew scoffed.
 
"Onew, what if bad things happen to your human. You won't have your angel abilities so you won't be able to do anything about it. Then would you stop clinging onto him?" Jonghyun asked.
 
Onew furrowed his eyebrows and looked closer at his brother.
 
"Jonghyun. What are you hiding? Why specifically did the Heavens have you assigned to watch us."
 
"It was a command I cannot question." He answered back sternly.
 
"Jonghyun." Onew said sternly, his attitude changing. "Something's not right,what aren't you telling me?"
 
"Onew I am still upset about your situation. Either way, even if I was happy about it, I am  under the Heaven's command." He answered.
 
"Jonghyun, what aren't you telling me." He demanded, anger rising in his expression.
 
"Becuase you are no longer officially the Angel of Time, it is hard for you to sense when something in your life is happening. Even so, I cannot comply with your demand."
 
Onew began to grind his teeth together.
 
"I may not have my title, but I am not completely human. My eyesight and listening are one of those still intact." He answered.
 
"Onew don't."   
 
"Stop!" He heard Key's voice scream. "Ani!" He cried.
 
"Onew you know if you interfer while your on this trial to become human and break one of your rules, you will be punished." Jonghyun said quickly.
 
"Ani!" Key's voice screamed.
 
Onew's eyes widened in horror.
 
"Key." He whispered.
 
"Onew stop looking." Jonghyun commanded.
 
Onew squinted his eyes closer together as he tried his best to use his angelic eyesight to see buildings away. There Key was, on a rooftop with a gun pointed to his head. Police cars and sirens could be heard. Groups of people surrounded the area at the bottom; their heads tilted upwards at the scene. The person with the gun pointed at Key's head moved Key over to a side of the buliding rooftop edge where there were no police cars, so no one could really see what he was doing with the boy. Onew could see and hear the other policemen at the bottom calling for helicopters. The door to the rooftop was locked and they couldn't get through.
 
"Please, please don't hurt me." Key cried, rubbing his hands together.
 
"You were gonna lay me off. You think I didn't find out about it beforehand." The man said, twisting the gun on Key's head.
 
Tears ran down Key's face as he begged.
 
"Joon ki, there was nothing I could do, the board said your work performance was low and that the customer service-"
 
"I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT THE BOARD SAID!" The man hollered.
 
"I have a wife and child to feed, you couldn't just bypass that for me?" Joon ki asked.
 
"I-I'm sorry. I have no control-"
 
"I DON'T WANT TO HEAR THAT!" He screamed. "All these excuses you higher ups think about. I didn't want to do this, but people like you make me crazy. My therapist told me to calm down, to ease it all out, but it's hard to do when you have a job like this, trying to fire you."
 
"Joon ki, I'm sor-"
 
"STOP! I don't want to hear your excuses just because you have a metal object held up against your head." He laughed out hysterically.
 
Onew looked at the scene in horror. His heart began to pump faster and faster.
 
"Onew you cannot stop the will of the Heavens. You will get punished, especially doing what you are doing now." Jonghyun said.
 
"Why would the Heavens set me with him just to be this cruel. I don't believe it." Onew replied.
 
"ONEW!" His brother hollered in anger. "Do not speak of the Heavens in that tone."
 
Onew didn't listen, and instead began to rip his shirt off so that his bare chest was being hit by the slight breeze that blew.
 
"Onew, don't do this. You cannot interfer."
 
"I've already used my sight and hearing of that of an angel. I can't teleport, but I still have my wings." Onew breathed. "I've already interfered."
 
"Onew, you know you can become a fallen angel if you pursue with interfering with his fate." His brother stated.
 
Onew turned and smiled as he walked towards the edge of the roof. The bones that made up his wings in the back, began to move in irregular patterns. He turned for just a second towards his brother and smiled, a tear going down his face.
 
"As you said I am not apart of the angel world anymore, so we don't have to worry about that, now do we?"
 
****
 
"Joon ki, just think about this." Key pleaded. 
 
Tears rushed down his face.
 
"There's nothing to think about. Now we're in an area where I don't have to worry about the police sirens and no one will see your death."
 
"What about your child and your wife! What would they think of you?" Key asked.
 
The man shook his head and looked down towards the ground.
 
"Don't put them in this." He answered.
 
"And after you kill me, how the hell are you going to get off this roof. Eventually the police will get through."
 
"You think I didn't think about that." He said, looking back up again with a smile.
 
"There's two bullets in here, one for you and one for me."
 
Key's eyes became wider.
 
"What about your-"
 
"My wife and my child will be better off without me. Plus, me not having the job was like me being dead anyway, so I might as well go through with it, now shouldn't I?" 
 
The look in Joon ki's eyes; you could tell he wasn't there. The board had made Key fire him because of his lack of performance and poor customer service skills but the main thing they worried about was the appearance of the company, especially when they heard Joon ki was seeing a therapist for severe problems. How'd they found out, Key wasn't sure, but there wasn't anything he could do, for he could lose his job for not listening. 
 
"Time for you to go~" He sung.
 
Quickly, Key in his tears and his breath, then with a hard look he said,
 
"Not today."
 
He pushed his hands upwards towards the gun, hoping it wouldn't go off. Thank goodness, the man didn't have a tight grip on the trigger for the gun went falling on the ground next to him. Joon ki growled and quickly ran to pick it up just as Key ran for it as well.   But Joon ki's hands grasped it first and he pushed Key away from him. Key stumbled and he turned to the side, only to realize that he was at the edge.
 
"Joon ki, sto-" But his sentence was stopped.
 
Joon ki slapped the man across the face with the gun in hand and off the edge Key slipped. He wasn't sure what was worse, falling off the building, or his head banging and aching like no tomorrow; his vision becoming blurry to point where he was unsure if he would feel the impact of the fall, of himself dying yet again. But there was something as his body fell down to its death. A silhouette of a man with wings, just like before.
 
"O-Onew." he whispered out.
 
And just as he felt the figures hands grasp onto his falling body, his vision out.
 
****
 
"Today a man was said to be holding a man captive on the rooftop. He disappeared on the other side of the roof so no policemen could see what he was doing. The police struggled to get helicopters on the scene. Policemen found the man rocking back and forth with gun next to him. Where the other man disappeared to is unknown, but the man caught was said to be saying an angel came and grabbed him..."
 
"Key?" Came a fimilar voice. "Key?"
 
Slowly Key opened his eyes, only to find himself in his room. His eyebrows furrowed and he looked around. Both Minho and Taemin stood at the edge of his bed. He could feel the wrap that covered his head.
 
"Oh, my gosh, Key you're alright." Taemin sighed.
 
"We still need to get him to the hospital." Minho replied.
 
"Key, we were scared to move you because we weren't sure how seriously you were hurt, so we only brought you inside." Taemin replied with a worried voice.
 
Key sat up with a grunt and scrunched his eyes as he looked around.
 
"How'd I get here?" He asked.
 
"We found you, at your door step. How'd you even get there? And why at a time like this is your roommate not here? Onew?" Taemin asked.
 
Key opened his eyes wide, remembering the sihoulette of the man with wings.
 
"Onew!" He shouted. 
 
He looked towards the window and could see that night had befallen them and it was raining. Of course it'd be raining at a time like this. Key hopped out the bed and ran to go put his shoes on.
 
"Key, where are you going! You need to rest! At least let us take you to the hospital!" Taemin yelled.
 
"You two just go and tell the police I'm alright, I have to go somewhere!"
 
"In that condition?!"
 
But Key didn't respond. He grabbed his eyes  that sat on the counter and rushed out into the night. He had no sense to call his driver or drive his own car. Instead, he ran and ran. The rain poured down onto his wrapped wound and he searched, calling out the man's name.
 
"If I was Onew, where would I be?" He asked himself in a whisper.
 
"You'll see a message pop up from me and it's going to be asking where you're at. You text back the way I showed you and I'll come find you. Araso?" He remembered saying.
 
Key patted down his pockets, hoping his cellphone was in one of them, and luckily he was right. He began to text, asking for Onew's location.
 
"Please coincidently have your cellphone still with you." He whispered. 
 
Suddenly it vibrated back and he looked at the message.
 
It read: 'House alleyway.'
 
"House alleyway?" Key questioned.
 
Then he got it.
 
"My house?!" He exclaimed.
 
Key turned around and ran back towards his house and quickly ran through the alleyway. The harder it rained, the harder it was for him to see in this night. But when he hit the alleyway, he could see it, a figure sitting in a corner with huge shadows in the back of him.
 
"O-Onew?" Key called.
 
"K-Key." Onew stuttered out.
 
Key ran further into the alleyway and got a closer look. That's when he saw it. The wings that so beautifully saved him earlier, laid on Onew's back but there was something more. Blood covered Onew's chest. Key squatted down and looked closer. The man's right wing was torn off and severly bleeding. Feathers covered his chest and the ground around him. Onew sniffed every once in a while as he felt the pain, tears running down the sides of his cheeks. Key stretched his hand over to the torn off wing and from it, smaller bone pieces stuck off, almost piercing his skin.
 
"Oh my god, Onew..." Key whispered.
 
The wing just kept bleeding non-stop.
 
"I-I did n-not want you t-t-to see me like t-this." The man tried to get out.
 
"Shhh. It'll be alright." Key cooed, touching Onew's face.
 
Up above Jonghyun sat on the rooftop edge of Key's house and looked down at his brother. He looked up at the Heavens, then back down at his brother.
 
"Brother, I told you there was consequences." He whispered.
 
 
 
Because I keep giving you guys late updates, I decided to do a long chapter for you guys. Origninally it wasn't going to be this long, but yeah, I decided to change that and give it a little more impact. I hope you guys enjoyed the long chapter and sorry for any spelling errors. I wanted to get this out as soon as possible so I didn't have time to really edit. If you find something I wrote wrong, just let me know, that's why you're the readers lol. What do you guys think is going to happen on the next chapter?COMMENT!