The Beginning of the End

1000 Year Old Angel Wish

 

People crowded around, grasps walked amongst the two.

"Someone call the ambulance!" Minho yelled out as he placed one hand over Taemin's wound.

The blood rushed out, it was unbearable. Tears flowed down Minho's eyes. There were no breaths coming from his boyfriend's mouth, neither was there any pulse when he first touched it. He tilted his head towards the sky, not caring who stared at him as if he was crazy; and he took a deep breath.

"Not this time." He whispered. "You can't take him this time."

But the boy was still lifeless in his arms. Minho bent his head back down and lessened the gap between them.

"They can't take you again." He whispered.

The thoughts of Key's words echoed in his mind, and with another deep breath, he squeezed the last tear from his eyes and nodded his head.

"I admit it." He whispered. "I was angry. For so many years I was angry because you kept taking away the one I loved. But I can't live in anger any longer. I can't continue like this. This is my last chance. Just let me live with him please. I'm sorry. For everything I did, everything I messed up, I'm sorry. It wasn't my place to do it, it never was, and I shouldn't have let the love of a human get in the way of that. For many centuries I have paid the price, but this shall be the last. Please, I beg of you. Don't let me live when he is dead. I apologize for my actions, sincerely I do."

He cupped Taemin's cheek and softly began to rub it.

"It's my fault you continuously die and it's my fault Onew and Jonghyun died. It was all my fault and never once did I want to own up to it. But now that I am, don't leave me." He whispered to the boy.

He his cheek a little longer with no response and once again, the tears began forming in the corners of his eyes.

"Taemin, don't-" And just as he begun to speak, the boys lips began to move.

Minho raised his eyebrows in surprise.

A moan escaped the boy's lips and just then, Minho could hear the sirens from further away, getting closer.

"T-Taemin!" He exclaimed, cupping the boy closer to him.

Taemin began to inhale vastly and when Minho lightly touched the boy's neck, he could feel the pulse.

"Taemin!" He exclaimed in again, in utter joy.

"Mmm?" Came the boy's answer, but just enough to make Minho relieved.

 

****

"You think that whole, telling the Heavens sorry thing, worked?" Key asked, sitting on the edge of the bed, after pacing around the entire room for a while.

"I'm positive." Onew answered, moving around a bed.

"Like I really hope Taemin doesn't die." He continued.

"I believe he won't." Onew answered once again.

"But that's just messed up-"

A grunt came out of Onew's mouth as he tried to move again, only feeling pain.

"Oh, Onew, I'm sorry." Key apologized, getting closer. "Here I am babbling about Minho and Taemin, and I totally forgot everything that was happening to you. Do you need me to get some more bandages?"

As he pushed himself up to get off, Onew quickly grabbed him by the hand and pulled him back down.

"Aigoo!" Onew yelled in pain.

"Onew, what the hell is wrong with you? Why'd you do that? Are you trying to kill yourself!" Key yelled.

The man chuckled a bit, and softly began to rub Key's hand. Key looked down, then looked back into the man's eyes a bit confused.

"Onew, w-what are you doing? I need to get you more bandages, you’re bleeding worse because you pulled me do-"

"You know, ever since I gained even a bit of human senses," Onew began, interrupting him, "I've looked at you everyday, unable to speak my words, because I was unsure what they meant."

"Unable to speak what words?" Key asked.

Without another thought, Onew grasped the boy's hand tighter and pulled him in. Before Key could react, their lips touched. It was an indeed a brand new feeling for Onew, and it was a great feeling. Key blinked his eyes, but the longer Onew's lips stayed on his, the more Key's eyes began to close. He pushed further into the kiss, and cupped Onew's face in his hands. Onew crept one hand up the boy's back and to his shoulder. After a while, the two backed away, both softly smiling.

"I believe I've been wanting to do that since my human senses kicked in." Onew said.

"I'm..uh..gonna get t-the bandages." Key smiled, hardly able to get the words out.

"Onew!" Came a scream of his name.

The man practically jumped out of his skin.

"What? What? Was it something I said? I didn't mean anything by it." Key quickly answered.

Onew turned his head towards the window and saw his brother standing there, his eyebrows narrowed with anger.

"Jonghyun." He whispered.

"Who? You're brother?" Key gasped and covered lightly covered his mouth. "Oh my god, did he see?"

Jonghyun banged on the window once again, in full anger.

"Open the window! It's important!" He yelled.

"K-Key, may you please open the door?" Onew asked.

Key scrunched up his face a bit.

"Why? Are you hot?"

"My brother. He is on the other side and he cannot come in." He answered.

Key turned his head towards the window and raised his eyebrow.

"I don't see any-rightttttttt." He said, wiggling his finger in the air. "Angel. He really knows how to ruin a moment."

He sighed and made his way over to the window and as he opened it, Jonghyun breathed a deep breath.

“I believe it was you who wanted to get the bandages that ruined it, as you say.” Onew chuckled.

"Your simple task of opening the window took long enough." Jonghyun told his brother.

Onew sighed and rolled his eyes.

"What's the matter Onew?" Key asked. "Is he being ugly about the whole ordeal?"

"Tell you’re human to leave the room. I will not speak to you if he is in the same space." Jonghyun answered, still standing on the other side of the window.

Again, Onew rolled his eyes, but turned his attention towards Key.

“Key, would it be alright if you gave me and my brother some time alone together. He has something important to speak to me about.” He said.

“Oh I see.” Key nodded. “He doesn’t want me in the room. He hates me that much.”

“He doesn’t hate you.” Onew answered.

Jonghyun looked at his brother with a stern face and raised his eyebrow.

“He just dislikes you a little.” The man continued.

“Fine,” Key answered, raising his hands in the air, “I’m leaving. Just yell for me when you’re ready for me to come back and if your wound gets worse, yell anyway so I can get some more bandages.” The boy answered.

Onew smile and nodded his head and without another word, Key made his way out.

“Do you have to be so rude?” Onew asked as his brother climbed through the window.

“It is more the other way around. I have been standing on the other side of that window calling your name for a dozen times now brother, but you were too lost in your new lover’s lips to hear me.” Jonghyun replied, stepping closer.

“You were calling me?” Onew asked.

“Of course but-“

“I only heard you once.” Onew interrupted.

“You heard only on-“ Jonghyun stopped himself, his eyes moving side to side as he thought to himself.

“Hyung, when I came to you before, about Minho, I only whispered to you from the window, yet you looked surprised. You are not able to sense me as before and now, I have to yell to get your attention. Not only are you not being able to sense me, but you’re slowly becoming unable to hear me.” He continued.

“This is bad.” Onew answered.

“If you have to yell in order for me to hear you, then it will not be long until I cannot see you.” He continued.

“I know.” His brother answered. “Even so, I came to inform you. The Fallen angel is at the hospital with his lover. I don’t believe he’ll be much help for you right now.”

“He’s at the hospital? With Taemin! Taemin didn’t die?” Onew exclaimed, leaning his body forward even more.

“Yes, apparently, for whatever reason he came here, it has helped him with his problem. The boy who can sense angels is not dead. He lives. As for you and the Fallen. What have you two discussed while I was absent?” He asked.

“Nothing much. I helped him and he helped us. He informed us, there wasn’t much that he could do, but he did tell me something that deemed helpful.”

“Which is, hyung?”

“The box.” Onew answered, turning his eyes toward the wooden box that was inscribed in the Heaven’s language.

“What about it?”

“He says that’s whatever is inside of this object is what will end the all of this. The key to everything the Heavens want me to do is inside this box. Minho said that he could sense the object the first time he stepped foot inside this house. So it is indeed, a powerful object of the Heavens. The only problem is, it says that it will only open until-“ And just as the words were about to come out of his mouth, there was a soft click that came from the box.

Both of them held their breaths. Their eyes turned to the object and saw that it creaked open.

“Oh my…” Onew gasped.

“I did not know it would happen this fast.” He continued.

“Look at what is inside.” Jonghyun told him, walking closer.

“As the Fallen said, everything the Heavens want you to do is in there.” He continued.

Onew nodded his head, and slowly reached his hand out for the box. As it touched the rugged wood, he lifted the top and slowly reached his hand inside. His heart began to beat fast and he squinted his eyes a little. Suddenly, his hand touched something somewhat long, wooden maybe and then a tip of metal. He furrowed his eyebrows.

“What is it brother? What is wrong?” Jonghyun asked.

“I do not know, it almost feels like a-“

“Like a what brother?” Jonghyun asked.

Onew lifted the object inside the box and together their eyes widened. Just as the man thought, the object was a long wooden handle with Heaven’s language scribbled all across it. The rest of the object was silver metal with the color of dirty white and gray. As Onew’s finger tips touched it, it began to glow.

“It’s a knife.” They both said.

“Brother, the handle.” Jonghyun said, pointing to the now glowing symbols of Heaven’s language.

Onew turned the knife around a bit, as to get a better look at the words. Stuned, he read them aloud.

“The soul will go through to make you whole.” Onew read.

Jonghyun began to step back. Onew looked up to his brother, the object still in his hand.

“Brother, what do you think this means?” Onew asked.

Jonghyun had something in mind, but it was something he did not want to speak aloud. Instead, he pointed to the object, then back to the box.

“Hyung, put the knife back into the box and close the box back. Do not tell your human that it opened or what is inside.” He answered.

“What?”

“I will go to the Fallen and find out if he knows an answer.” Jonghyun continued.

Onew nodded his head, and automatically placed the knife back into its compartment, closing the top and placing it on the end table.

“Go.” Onew commanded softly.

****

Minho sat on the edge of his lover’s hospital bed and softly rubbed the boy’s hand. Taemin’s eyes were still closed to the world, but he was okay and that was all that mattered to Minho.

“Minho!” He heard his name yelled and jumped suddenly. He looked up towards the ceiling.

“Jonghyun.” He whispered.

Minho back down to his lover and caressed his hand one more time.

“I will be back.” He whispered to Taemin, before getting up and leaving.

****

“I have been calling you for a while.” Jonghyun angered, once he saw the man come on the roof.

“I am sorry. I did not hear you. I only heard you call once.” Minho answered.

“You didn’t hear me?” Jonghyun asked.

“It can’t be.” He whispered to himself, walking closer to Minho.

“Wait, what are you doing? Are you trying to get hurt? You know what will happen when you touch me.” Minho talked.

“I just want to see something.” Jonghyun answered, getting closer.

“Jonghyun, what-“ But Jonghyun was already touching his wrist.

Minho widened his eyes.

“How did you?”

“You told me that you couldn’t hear me yelling your name before.” Jonghyun answered. “Well that is the same thing my brother told me.”

“I’m becoming-“

“Human.” Jonghyun answered.

“This is excellent. Now I can live my days with Taemin. The Heavens have truly forgiven-“

“That is simply lovely.” Jonghyun answered in a sarcastic tone.

“But now is not the time for you to reminencse in the continuing days with your lover. My brother needs your help.” Jonghyun continued.

“I have helped your brother as much as I could. Especially now that I am becoming human, my dwindling with the Heavens will be no more.” Minho answered.

“Then answer this question for me, this one time.” Jonghyun said.

Minho thought about it, then nodded his head.

“Continue.”

“Inside the Heaven scripted box was a knife. No ordinary knife of course. The knife had Heaven’s words inscribed all over the handle.” He answered.

Minho’s stern face began to soften.

“And what did these words say specifically.” He asked with a worried tone.

“It said, ‘the soul will go through to make you whole’.” He answered.

“The soul will go through to make you whole.” Minho whispered. “And he’s been partnered with Key.”

“Jonghyun, Onew has been gaining human senses because of the Heavens, the Heavens have partnered him with Key. Key died but they brought him back for the whole Onew thing and the object is a knife that said, ‘the soul will go through to make you whole’. Jonghyun don’t you see.” Minho stated.

“What?” The man asked.

“The last step to Onew becoming human. When I think about it, it makes sense about the process.”

“About what process?”

“The process of why the Heavens want Onew to kill Key. Again.” He answered.

 

COMMENT! COMMENT! COMMENT! COMMENT!