Hajima!!!!

What is History?

 

Suho's POV

It had been a nice dream, but something around me was wrong. At first I thought I was imagining things. Someone was calling my name. It was soft and barely above a whisper. "Suho, please wake up."

I thought something smelt weird, but I couldn't be sure. I was slightly disoriented. Certain it was my imagination; I tried to force myself back to sleep.

Then I felt someone touching my bangs, sweeping them out of my face. There was definitely something sweet smelling in the air. I slowly opened by eyes and was confused when I saw a pale hand in my face. I inhaled deeply. The sweet smell was cotton candy scented and it was emitting from the person who so delicately woke me. "Suho?" The whisper asked.

The hand was removed and I could see JaeNi's face. I could tell who it was even through the blur of sleep because she was very pale. I groaned. "JaeNi? What time is it?"

She looked around before taking out her phone. "It’s seven."

I groaned again and turned my back on her. "It’s too early to live." I heard something like a stifled giggle as she ran her nails gently down my shoulder blade, "But we need to talk and we can't talk when everyone else is awake. If they find out about the assignment, we're busted."

I looked at her, propping up on my elbows. "What do you need?"

The haze of sleep was clearing and I could see her better. She had two small pigtails on top of her head and all of her hair was curled. She had on her make up already. She looked strangely... cute? I shook away the thought. "I was thinking that we could fake a date or two. I just didn't know what to do."

I scratched my head, "What do you mean?"

"Well... I haven't been on a date in a really long time. I mean... a few months before I came to Korea I went out, but... nothing since and I don't know if Korean dating is different from American. Will you help me?" She asked, chewing the corner of her bottom lip.

I drew my brows together and shook my head. She'd been talking and I thought I'd been listening. Apparently I was mistaken because nothing she just said registered. "Uh... I'll take you out later, ok? Can I go back to sleep now?"

She shook her head and looked shyly at the wall, "Junha's on her way here."

I groaned. She looked sympathetically, "I'm sorry. I had to hide her shoes so she wouldn't get here first... How about I make it up to you?"

That was a curious statement. How do you make up for waking someone up so early? Unless she was willing to kick off her shoes and crawl into bed so I could sleep some more, I really wasn't interested, but telling her to do so would be extremely rude and probably would've ended very badly. "How?"

She smiled, "I'll take you to Sunny's and buy whatever you want."

I chuckled. "That'd be hard to explain. How about you give me a few minutes to get dressed and because you woke me before Junha got the chance, I'll make us breakfast. Best to act couplish while she's here, right?"

JaeNi laughed. Not giggled. Not chuckled. She laughed... And it wasn't terrifying. It was a simple action, but it made me relax a little. "Why would it be so bad if Junha woke you?"

"Ever been jumped on by her?" She shook her head with innocent wide eyes. I smirked, "Well... It’s a lot like having bricks dropped on your stomach."

She drew her hand to her lips as they formed an 'o'. "I had no idea. I'll try to delay her more often."

I shook my head, "It’s better to be woken by a nice smell than a surprising pain." I didn't realize what I said until she looked away, her cheeks changing to pink. "You think I smell nice?" She asked timidly.

I tried to say something, but I found myself unable. I simply nodded and looked at the wall awkwardly. She stood up, "I-I'll let you dress." I threw the blanket off and stood as she turned back to me. "Do you-"

I looked up at her to see her chewing her lip. It took me a minute to realize why she was watching me. I was in my boxers. "Do you mind if I get s-something to drink?" She turned her head away, embarrassed.

"No, get whatever you want." I said, listening to her footsteps disappearing outside my door. I closed the door and dressed, deciding I liked this new JaeNi. She was definitely a lot better than the one I'd originally met.

Then a thought occurred to me. She and Junha were the best actors in Heechul's class. He spoke very highly of them and even had them come in occasionally to help...

Was JaeNi acting?

 

Junha's POV

I was walking to Suho's room when I paused. A boy who looked a bit like Taemin was in the corner of the hall, another boy caught between him and the wall. I realized after a minute why the kid looked like Taemin. It was his little brother, Niel. I quietly walked up to him and whispered in his ear, "I'm telling your brother you're bothering Chunji again." He turned around and looked at me, "But Noona, I'm not bothering him. We were just talking."

I rose an eyebrow at his statement. I had seen the position he had just been in, and he was not talking with that mouth. I shook my head and continue my way down the hall. Luckily Taemin's room wasn't far, so I just walked in and yelled, "Taemin, your brother is molesting some poor guy in the hallway again. You should go stop him." Taemin, who had been sitting on the couch, jumped up and ran past me into the hall. "I'm going to ing kill him," he mumbled as he saw his brother.

I followed him, purely for the pleasure of seeing Niel scolded. For some reason Niel thought of me as a fly always bugging him, and I knew it. It wasn't my fault I always caught him when he was taking things a bit too far. Like last week when he cornered his friend Ricky and kissed him. When I walked past it was heating up to more than that before I even realized what was happening. Luckily Taemin had been a few steps behind me, and when I pointed out his brother he pulled him away. He had given him a stern talking, which apparently had no effect.

Knowing Taemin was stressed more than usually here lately; I was praying he wouldn't follow through on his threat and actually kill his brother. I was relieved when he walked up behind his brother and smacked him in the back of the head. "Yah!!" Niel yelled before looking up. "Room! NOW! March It!" Taemin demanded before pushing both boys toward his dorm. Niel turned around and stuck his tongue out at me. I just smiled as he was pushed through the door.

Taemin went off on him as soon as the door closed. "Can't you keep your hands to yourself? Or at least keep your affections out of the public? You have a room for god's sake Daniel!" He ran his hand through his hair. I patted him on the back, attempting to soothe him. "Why do you get on to me, when Junha's three times as bad?" Niel raged. I scoffed, "No I am not." Niel just rolled his eyes, "Please! Everyone knows of the Kai episodes."

"Hey! That was just so he'd eat the damn gusher. And all I did was kiss him. I wasn't groping him in front of everyone," I defended. "I didn't mean just the gusher scene. What about the lunch room?" Niel questioned. "I didn't do anything but drag him off. I'm not an exhibitionist like someone, you little brat," I stomped my heel. Taemin put a hand on my shoulder. I took a breath. "First: she isn't my sibling. She has her own brother to deal with. Second: she is older than me so it would be bad manners for me to scold her," Taemin replied to his brother.

"YOU'RE BAISED HYUNG! It's all because you have a crush on J..." Niel was cut short by Chunji slapping a hand over his mouth and a fiery glare from Taemin. The boy was shuffled out by his friend with a quick, "We have homework to finish. Bye guys." I glanced at Taemin, a little curious who this crush was on. It was either me or JaeNi, and I was sure it wasn't me. I narrowed my eyes at the boy, who glanced away with a hand rubbing his neck. I decided to let it go for now and said, "Well, that was fun, but I have to go see Suho. Bye Taeminnie." I gave him a hug before I walked out the door.

 

JaeNi's POV

I sat at the small table on my knees after grabbing a cola and a small cup. The image of Suho was still in my mind. I tried really, really hard to shake it out. I had other things to think of. How could I possibly be thinking such things? I had someone else to think of...

I let thoughts of Ronnie fill my mind. I smiled and sipped my drink. I missed Ronnie a lot. His laughter was always contagious. He never pushed me to do things I didn't want to, but pressured me to do things he knew I could. He was so supportive of me through high school. I don't think I would've made it to Korea without his help. We were supposed to come together, but then we had the accident. I felt tears stinging my eyes as the scene played in my head.

"I just can't wait! I'm already packed." I said hands clasped in my lap. We were talking about college once again. He laughed at me. I smiled and sat back in my seat. "Thank you, Ronnie."

"For what?" He asked, glancing at me. I reached over and started playing with his dyed black hair. "Well... Back around finals you helped me study a lot and you've been teaching me how to sing lately... I think I've gotten better."

He grinned, "I know you have. Are you still shy about singing in front of people?"

My smile faded and I nodded, "Very... Will you promise to always be there when I sing?"

"Why?" He asked, adjusting his hands so he could take one off the wheel and place it over mine. I sighed and smiled gently to him, "If you're there, I can focus on you... You make things less... scary."

He squeezed my hand, "Feel like singing?"

"Why?" It was my turn to ask. He released my hand and pressed a button on the radio. His hand returned and I interlaced our fingers, "I feel like hearing something beautiful... That party's music was too auto tuned."

I smiled, feeling ridiculous that I still didn't believe myself to be a good singer. A song came on and I knew it by heart. Ronnie was into recording his own music. He played guitar so a lot of it was acoustic. He'd written many songs specifically for my voice and we practiced them all the time as an exercise to get rid of my stage fright. This was one of those tracks. He was an amazing lyricist.

I felt the strums of the guitar as if they were happening before me. "I can't believe on some nights I simply," I was singing and he was smiling. It was the perfect moment. "Listen to your voice playing over in my mind... Melodies turn into bleeding symphonies at your voice... How could I miss something I never knew I had? That beauty -that song- for which I'd give to hear you say... That love can't fade away." I had to hold the note on the last word.

I looked over and saw his face before a bright flash over took my vision. Everything happened so fast. There was the loud sound of metal hitting the car and then our car hitting something else. I was jarred and my seatbelt choked me. The CD skipped and stopped as my skull smashed against the windows. I heard sounds, but none of them were connected to anything...

I looked up, a red staining my vision. I blinked rapidly and held the side of my head. I saw the airbags, but my seat was pushed so far back that they didn't reach me. Confused, I tried to think what had happened. I noticed the windshield was shattered and there was a heavy feeling in my lap.

I looked down and was immediately shocked to reality. Ronnie was no long in his seat, but half over me. "Ronnie?" I called, feeling tears in my eyes, "Oh my God... Ronnie, answer me, please!"

He didn't respond. His face was bloody and scratched. I tried to shake him, but my arm was crushed between the door and my body. I looked around hurriedly, trying to find my cell phone. I saw the light from it in the floorboard. Ronnie was too heavy to move and I was too weak to try to wiggle free. I scrambled with my feet to get it in my hands. I remember thinking 'I have to get help... I have to call for help...'

I finally got it into my hand and dialed 911. My thumb was bloodied and it rubbed off onto my screen. "911 emergencies what is your emergency?"

"There was a... a crash."

"Where are you?" The operator asked.

I remember crying. I thought we were going to die. "I don't know. All I can see is smoke. There's so much smoke. I c-can't see anything."

"Ma'am, I need you to calm down. Can you tell me what happened?"

"We - we were on our way back from a party. It was at 1189 Pine Crest Hill. We hadn't made it back into town yet... Please, help me." I cried, feeling my eyes becoming heavy. "Please..." I didn't remember beyond that.

I felt tears staining my cheeks as I bowed my head. Ronnie had awoken before me. He was pretty messed up, but we were fortunate enough to share a hospital room. He pushed me to do everything he knew I could. He put my life back in order, not bothering to do it for his own. I owed him everything, yet the only thing I was doing to pay him back was thinking about the good looking boy in the other room. This assignment would have to end soon.

I felt arms coming around me and a voice asked, "What's wrong?"

I tried to push him away, but he held tight. "I'm fine." I shoved him and wiped my eyes. "I was just remembering something."

He sat next to me and took one of my hands in his, "I'll listen if you want to talk to me."

I wiped my eyes with the back of my hand. I looked up and used my fingers to wipe under them, certain that my makeup was now officially ed. "Can you please give me a tissue?" I asked.

He nodded and went to Godknowswhere to give me something to wipe my eyes with. He sat next to me and I noticed he was watching me. I couldn't look at him as I spoke, "Before I came here... I got into a car accident with a friend." My voice was shaking. "I can't talk about it right now... I'm sorry."

He pulled me into an awkward hug, "Don't be sorry for what you remember. Once you overcome it, it'll make you stronger." He whispered. I willed my tears to stop as I heard the door open. I pushed him away quickly and bowed my head so that my bangs would cover my face.

"Oppa!" Junha's voice called. She must have noticed us because she gasped. The next thing I knew, she was in the floor, knocking Suho over. "JaeNi, what's wrong? Are you alright?" She turned to Suho and started hitting him, "How dare you make her cry! You're so heartless."

I gave a watery chuckle, "I'm fine, Junha... I just remembered something is all."

I looked up to see her lips pressed into a thin smile, "Was it the accident?"

I nodded and reached over. She hugged me and I leaned my head on her shoulder for a moment. It was nice to have someone to lean on -literally. I pulled back and sighed, feeling my confidence to return. "Thank you." I placed a hand on each of their knees, "Both of you."

Junha looked at Suho and glared, "What are you doing here, JaeNi?"

Suho stood up and took my hand, helping me to stand, "We were going out for breakfast. Right, JaeNi?"

I felt silly trying to act with a tearstained face. "Yes, but may I go fix my face? I'm sure my makeup is a mess by now."

His smile was warm and sincere, "You look wonderful." I felt my cheeks heat at the compliment. I placed my hands on my cheeks and bent so neither could see my face. I heard Junha growling. "Still... may I wash my face?"

"Of course, here." He placed a hand on the small of my back and led me back into his room. He showed me to the bathroom that was conjoined between his room and the next. It was cleaner than I would've expected from two guys. He stood in the doorway as I looked at my reflection. I was amazed to the top lid of eyeliner was still perfectly intact. However the bottom lid's liner had been washed away and it had left a fading purple under my eyes. My nose was red and my lips were darker than usual. I now knew the extent of Suho's acting skills as he'd complimented me when I looked horrible.

I looked around for something to wipe my face and was greeted with a hand towel being extended from Suho. I thanked him and took it, going back to the sink and the large mirror. "What happened?" He asked suddenly.

I the water and wet the end of the hand towel. "My friend and I were coming home from a party... We were in the car. He asked me to sing and before I knew it, we were both bathing in blood." My voice cracked and I ended up whispering the last part. I clenched my teeth together to keep from crying again. The only people to see me cry in a year and a half were Junha and Tao. The wreck was a reoccurring nightmare I'd had that both had to wake me from. Now Suho had seen my tears.

He probably thought I was silly for this. I cleaned under my eyes. "You both survived?"

I nodded, "Yes... My friend... He's the entire reason I'm here. I wanted to stay and look after him, but he said he wouldn't let both of our lives be ruined by one stupid accident." I looked in the mirror and simply stared, emotionless, until my features calmed some.

I sighed. My lips were still dark, but at least my nose was white again. I turned and placed the hand towel on the counter top. "Thank you."

He extended his hand to me and I took it curiously. He pulled me into the doorway and looked down. My breath caught in my throat from his closeness. We were mere inches apart and for some reason -even after all that I'd remembered- I didn't mind it. "Thank you." He whispered.

I looked up; searching his eyes for a reason he would thank me. "You didn't have to open up to me, but I'm really glad you did. I'd like to get to know you better -the real you."

I nodded and felt him pull me back through his room. Junha and Kris were on the couch. Junha had a pillow in her lap, clutching it angrily, and Kris was rubbing her arm, trying to calm her down. As we entered I saw him glaring at Suho. He apparently didn't approve of the assignment either. I bowed, "Good morning."

He nodded to me and resumed glaring at Suho. I saw Suho roll his eyes. He went to run his fingers through Junha's hair and wave at Kris, "I'm leaving now. Don't fill her head with nonsense -God knows it wouldn't fit in with her own."

I bit my lip as I tried not to laugh. With that Suho and I were off to talk over our assignment. We didn't really talk until after we'd left the building. The brisk morning breeze felt wonderful. I shoved my hands into my pockets and hummed a little. It was nice. All the stores, cafes, and eateries on campus were just opening. Very few people were out and about. It was nice and quiet.

I hummed and smiled a little. The mornings were my favorite time of day. The sky was a nice color, the grass was still wet, and it was all so peaceful. I leaned down and picked a white flower from one of the many flower beds and inhaled. It was then I noticed Suho was smiling at me. I laughed, "What is it?"

He shook his head, "I was just thinking how different you are now."

"What do you mean?"

"I see you every day. Even around Junha every day and when you're around a lot of people you act like a statue, but here, like this, you act so lively." He chuckled and I extended the flower for him to smell. He leaned in and gave it a light sniff. "It’s very different."

I pulled at the petals, "I guess that's why Tao and I get along so well. Coming to Korea left us with very little communication lines. Tao feels words are pointless when you use body language. The world doesn't like things that aren't pretty. I figure if I look angry, the world won't think I'm pretty and will leave me alone."

I felt his fingers brushing my hair back and he took the flower, sticking it behind my ear. "You're... exotic here. Everyone must think you're pretty."

 I sighed and looked at my feet. While it was sweet of him to say, it was most certainly not true. I'd been in my fair share of fights due to bullying. "Not everyone... Are you hungry?"

He shrugged, apparently not minding that I changed the subject, "Not really, but it’s bad to go without breakfast, isn't it?"

I pointed to one of the buildings and smiled, "How about there?"

"The ice cream parlor? Are they open this early?" He asked, brow raised and a smile on his lips.

I nodded, "It’s where I usually get breakfast from."

He gave me a quizzical look, but I just shrugged. We bought some ice cream and he was nice enough to pay, claiming this counted as a fake date for the assignment. We went back to walking; only this time, we decided to go off campus. We just walked blindly into town. I took a off my cone and hummed some more. "I didn't realize you had so much personality, Suho."

He laughed, "That's because we're practically strangers."

I shrugged. "So, I think if we arrange a few fake dates, Junha should believe it. The assignment could be over in a week if we play our cards correctly."

He nodded, "Sounds like a plan, but you don't want to go on a fake date every day. That'll seem like we're smothering each other."

He was right. I thought and continued my ice cream, "You're right... Well, today is Saturday. There are seven days to a week... What if we go out on Wednesday and then again on Saturday, and then just spend as much time together as possible?" I asked. If we just hung out together in our dorms, Junha would flip her lid. Kris already seemed to know about the assignment and it appeared like he believed it. That was one person. Just three to go.

"Sounds good. So, where do you want to go Wednesday?"

I gave a shrug. It'd really been a long time since I'd been on a date and I still had no idea if Korean dating was different. "Well... Where do you usually take the girls you meet?"

"Uhhh... The last few times we just hung around the dorm. I remember taking one girl to a club, but that ended badly-"

"Perfect! A club." Finally! Something I was familiar with! "We can just hang around and drink for a while and come back late."

His brows rose, "Really? You want me to take you to some sleazy club just to drink?"

I shrugged, "I don't dance too much outside of class."

"Are you bad at it?"

I shoved my hand in my pocket. "No... I just don't like to. It wouldn't be a real date, so if you want to go dance with some girl, I won't care."

"I might drag you onto the dance floor just to see what you do." He replied with a slight snicker.

I didn't think it was nearly as funny as he thought it was. "You would promptly have a drink tossed in your face, Suho. I don't dance willingly in crowded places. I have no desire to get into a room full of complete strangers and have them grind on me."

"What are clubs for though?" He asked, teasing me. I could tell he was kidding, but that didn't stop me from rolling my eyes. "So what about Saturday night? Where could we go then?"

"Well... we could just do what we're doing now on both nights." He suggested.

I smiled. That wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I wasn't spontaneously combusting as it was. I gave him a small nod and we turned, heading back for campus. "Ok. I can agree with that. This isn't so bad. And at lunch, since I'm sitting with you and you will undoubtedly want to pay for whatever I get, I'll either pay you back or be cheap about it."

He nodded, "My wallet thanks you."

I laughed a little. I didn't realize Suho had a sense of humor either. It seemed there were a lot of things I'd never bothered to learn.

 

~~~~

Well... If you go back and read the end of the previous chapter you'll notice its different! Hope you like last week's, this week's, and are hungry for more next week in the updates department! 

-Love,

Minji & Panda