Kris! Apologize!

What is History?

 

Tao's POV
I knocked on the door with my usual bored expression. This was probably a prank -more than likely Lay's idea- but I was bored and had nothing on my mind but what JaeNi told me about Kris when we talked about it.
"You realize that if you don't act, he won't like you... Right?" She'd asked. 
I had done a little more than sigh, "I don't even know which team he plays for."
That was the truth. I'd seen him with girls before. I'd seen him on dates. To anyone else he might have seemed like the straightest guy on Earth. I, however, can see when someone is bored -even if they smile. It’s all part of the body language reading I picked up a while back. As I waited, losing myself in the thoughts I was trying to rid myself of, Kyungsoo opened the door. He grinned at me happily, "I'm so glad you could come on short notice!"
I shoved my hands into my pockets. "Well, I have to admit... I was pretty curious when you wouldn't tell me what was going on." He grabbed my arm and pulled me inside, catching me off guard.
He shut the door and began whispering to me. "Taemin moved out! Can you believe that? He didn't even talk to us about it!" Actually... That wasn't that surprising. Taemin's temper wasn't as bad as Kris's, but he would come to class complaining about the stuff they pulled in the mornings. After hearing those tales, I'd never stay over at Kyungsoo and Lay's dorm... EVER. He continued, "And then he had the nerve to send his new roommate’s old roommate here! Lay and I both have things to do tonight. Lay went clubbin' with Sehun and I have a study session." He was sliding on his shoes as I leaned against the couch. "We didn't want to leave a stranger here unsupervised... I was wondering if you could... guard the place."
I cringed. Babysitting? He looked at me with big eyes and a thin smile. He was bad in classes so the studying was completely necessary, I was sure. But... Babysitting? 
I sighed as I weighed my options, "Who's the new comer?"
Kyungsoo moved towards the door and opened it, "Uh... Chen? Bye!" 
I heard the door slam shut, but I was too busy trying to keep my balance. How was I shoved into this!? I didn't even agree to do it yet! I leaned down and sat on the arm of the couch. Chen, a friend of Kris, was in a room with his worst nightmares. The poor fool... 
I found myself wondering if he'd told Kris. I shoved that thought away. Of course he had! Kris was his best friend -practically his brother. I shook my head, debating on whether or not to just leave.
Could I really do that to a living person? 
I groaned and buried my face in my hands. I had been trying to escape thoughts of Kris and now I was forcibly watching after his best friend. Where was my life going?
I took my time and went through the dorm. Their kitchen was stocked with all kinds of unhealthy stuff that would ruin my body if I were to even sniff it. You could tell what they used a lot by what was strewn out across the counters. I found some interesting things about the two. 
Lay had a stuffed unicorn toy on his dresser with a charm around its neck -also a unicorn. For some reason, I found this less disturbing than I probably should have. Lay was also a slob beyond my belief. He had dirty clothing tossed about his bed room and papers were clumsily stacked on the nightstand. I would've went to see if an alarm clock was there too had I not been so frightened at the thought of Lay's clothes having been in the floor so long that bacteria had built up, giving them a mind of their own to create a monster that would be willing to pull me into a never ending abyss beneath the bed with my first step.
With those thoughts crossing my mind, I shut the door and moved to the room that was on the other side of that wall. It was neat, clean, and organized. It looked as if it were treated more as an office than a bedroom. The bed was shoved against the far wall, creating a large space in the center of the floor. Kyungsoo was a gifted dancer so it wouldn't surprise me if he spent a majority of his life in that little space. He had folders and notebooks organized by color, height, and subject on the shelves above the desk. It occurred to me that he did seem a little OCD on some days. 
I left and went to what I supposed was Chen's new room. The door was closed and there was silence behind it. Lightly tapping my knuckles against the door, I announced, "They're gone. You can come out now." At first I felt like I was talking to a terrified animal that'd narrowly escaped a run in with a tiger. That feeling disappeared the moment I heard Chen barking, "I don't want to."
I pushed open the door. Chen had his jaw set tight. His eyes burned holes into something on the wall. I looked over and to my surprise found the wall blank. Was he really that upset? I was half afraid to speak. I didn't want that death stare on me! "Is... everything ok?" I asked slowly.
"Just fine."
Ok, lying I don't tolerate often -especially not when it has a situation like this behind it. "Your tone contradicts that statement." I felt awkward after saying that. He wasn't my friend! What did I care if he told me what was going on -not that I didn't already have a good idea.
He sighed and his stare lessened, falling on me in a less angry fashion. "I can't believe my roommate would kick me out like this."
I nodded. I wondered why Chen had come here. It didn't make sense unless he had nowhere else to go. "So you were forced here." I thought aloud, finally understanding.
"Who would live with those two willingly?!" He snapped, glaring. I froze. Was that what it was like when I stared at people? I hoped not. That was scary! His expression lightened as he must have sensed my discomfort. "Sorry." He looked at the ground, "They are your friends. I should not speak so rudely of them."
I smirked, noticing the slight cringe Chen did. "No, you are completely right. After hearing the things they've done to Taemin, I wouldn't live here."
Chen gave a small, “Look at that." I was beyond confused by this statement. I turned to see if someone had entered behind me, but met his chuckle, "You can talk and show emotions. Who knew?"
I suddenly felt shy, realizing this is the first actual conversation I'd had with him. This was probably the first time he'd heard my voice. "I don't do either often. Only a select few see it."
"Just Sehun's crew?" Chen asked.
I shook my head, "Just my family, Kyungsoo, JaeNi, and occasionally Junha."
He looked confused for a minute. "Can I ask why?"
I shrugged. What was the use in lying to him? "I don't feel the need to talk much; I can convey most things through body language so words are pointless."
Chen was full of questions for me and for some reason I didn't mind telling him things. It was like talking to a child about how life works. "Where'd you learn to use body language so well?"
"When I first came to Korea it was the only way I could communicate." I said simply. 
There was a nice pause while I took in my situation. Chen, Kris's best friend, was now forcefully roomed with Kyungsoo and Lay. It was obvious that Kris would either visit him daily or come to his rescue. I instantly remembered the expression Kris had given me the last time he attempted a conversation. My body language must not be that good because he didn't understand anything... I smiled inwardly. Truthfully, it was half on purpose. I loved seeing him angry. Let's just face facts... Angry Kris was extremely good looking.
Before I knew what I was doing, I was speaking again. "If you... ya know... really need somewhere to go, I have an empty room in my dorm."
At first Chen looked excited, but that faded and he looked back at the floor sadly. "I can't do that."
"Why not?" I asked, brows drawn together. It wasn't like people to turn down my gifts. I rarely gave them and only after careful consideration. This was a new feeling to me.
He shook his head, "You're one of Sehun's friends and a total stranger to me. How do I know this isn't a trick?"
I felt myself laughing. I couldn't help it! I wasn't the kind to trick people I was trying to be polite to. I bowed my head and covered my mouth. "Forgive me, but do I look like the type to trick someone?"
Chen offered a small smile, "No... If it’s not too sore of a subject, why are you friends with Sehun? You don't act anything like the others."
I shrugged. I wondered that myself often. I clasped my hands in front of my, "Ah... Kyungsoo and I met and he introduced me to his friends. I'm not really close to any of them, but I'm willing to look out for them as they took me in without a lot of questioning. Sehun and I work well on projects, but... It’s more like a mutual tolerance." I looked over awkwardly, "I don't care too much to have many friends."
"SO you just eat with them to keep them out of trouble?" 
I chuckled again, nodding. I glanced up to see his lips pressed into a thin line. "On behalf of my friends and myself, I want to apologize for insulting you."
I nodded, "You're forgiven, but may I ask why you insult me?"
He shrugged, sitting up on the bed for the first time. "When you're around Sehun you're different... Kind of like a statue." I wasn't exactly following his train of thought. The silence must have told him that because he continued, "You look like, in your head, you’re saying that you're too good for us. When you don't insult back, I guess we are angry because you seem to feel like we're beneath you."
I felt the light flicker on in my head, "That's why Kris called me a spoiled brat!" I had to admit, that one had been bothering me. I wasn't spoiled.
Chen looked at me with confusion written all over his face, "Oh, Kris tried to talk to me in the locker room the other day. I was so busy thinking about what JaeNi and Junha had planned that I forgot to verbally answer. He went off about how I was a stuck-up spoiled brat." And managed to look completely adorable while doing it...
"Oh..." Chen scratched the back of his head, "Sorry for him." 
I waved a hand at him, "You can't apologize for someone else. An apology means nothing if it is not real." I watched at Chen took out his phone and played on it for a second. Without looking up, he asked, "So... do you mind if I move into your dorm?"
"Not at all, but I do have two conditions. You can't disrupt my normal routine and you can't insult my friends in the dorm or my presence." I announced, nodding.
He looked up and grinned, "Of course! It'll be like I'm not even there." He stood up and grabbed his bags -the only thing in the room- and asked, "Do you mind if I start now?"
I shook my help and moved out of the doorway, "Do you need any help?"
He passed me and nodded, "Yes, but all my stuff is in my old dorm."
I shrugged and we left. "No problem. I'll help you out." I took my phone from my back pocket and opened a text message to JaeNi. "What was your room number?"
"D358"
To: Wushu Princess
Can you and Junha help me by helping a friend move?
I followed Chen up the stairs. 
From: Wushu Princess
Sure. What room?
To: Wushu Princess
D358. Meet you there.
"So how come you aren't talking now?" Chen asked curiously. I looked up, surprised. Had he been talking to me? "What?" I asked.
He laughed, "Nothing." 
I moved to stand beside him on the stairs, "I have a friend coming to help us."
I noticed his demeanor turn nervous, "That's not necessary... You're doing so much already."
We entered the corridor and I could see them standing in front of the room already. It helped that they were only a few dorms down on the opposite side of the hall. "Don't get worked up, you probably know her already."
I felt myself smile as I crept forward. I heard JaeNi's voice, "He didn't say who it was. Just said it was a friend."
"All I'm saying is that I feel like we should know who this is." Junha replied from her seat beside the door. Neither were paying attention to me. Good.
"Better hope this isn't someone you had a one night stand with." JaeNi joked. I smirked and grabbed JaeNi's waist. "Could you be any louder?" I whispered.
She went to punch me, but I ducked and pushed her hand over. She saw it was me and growled as I messed up her hair. Just then, Junha noticed my follower. "Chen!" She grinned and bounded over to greet him.
JaeNi waved politely, leaning back on me. I feared she'd fall so I held her waist. "What's going on here, Tao?" She asked me.
I pushed her forward as Chen opened the door. "Chen's going to move into my dorm."
Junha grinned and looked between the two of us, "Really?! That's great! Now if only we could get Kris and Sehun-"
"No!" We all three said in unison. It was rather humorous to see Junha pouting in the hall like that. Chen took a box from the counter and sighed. "I feel bad having you help me like this."
JaeNi took a box and a bag from the coffee table and bumped him gently. "Don't worry about it. We'll find a way for you to pay us back." 
Junha grabbed a large box in her arms. "Yeah, what else are friends for?" She asked cheerily.
I took two large boxes as Junha and JaeNi vanished into the corridor. "Do we just leave the door open?" Chen shrugged, "I'll close it, but leave it unlocked. I have to follow you anyways." I nodded and went into the hall. He closed the door and I made sure to wait on him. If I left, I would be trying to catch up with JaeNi, who would most likely already be heading down to B floor. I was guessing because she and Junha were already on the stairs and out of view.
I felt suddenly out of place... The last roommate I had left because of a broken nose and Junha's obsession. The one before that afraid of JaeNi and myself. The one before that ate some horribly candy from America. The one before that Junha had done something to... It'd been so long since I'd had a roommate I liked. Chen noticed my discomfort again, "Are you nervous?"
I nodded, "A little. I've never had a roommate for long. Usually Junha and JaeNi scare them away for me."
My voice echoed on the stairwell, making me sound even louder. Chen laughed, "You're going to have to arm yourself with more than Junha to get rid of me."
I smirked and entered the B floor hall. "That's what JaeNi's for." The girls were waiting outside my door. JaeNi was attempting to open it with her foot, which wasn't working well. She and Junha were laughing about it. "No! I got this!" She told Junha. 
I moved and slapped her foot down. "JaeNi, please! Save the weird for when we're done." I announced. She huffed, "Party crasher."
I shrugged and turned the knob after balancing the boxes on my leg, arm, and the wall. A burst of over cold air hit them all, causing Chen and Junha to shutter. "Aish!" Junha exclaimed, "Tao, why'd you turn the air up so high?!" 
JaeNi smirked as she noticed I was trying not to let them see my blush. How was I supposed to tell them that my dreams made it impossible to sleep so I turned up the air? Being cold causes the human body to desire sleep and a nice dreamless sleep would have been greatly appreciated after the week I'd had. 
JaeNi flashed me a smile, "I got hot and turned it up. I guess I forgot to turn it off before I left." 
She turned to me and pointed, saying silently that I owed her. I nodded and looked away. She turned to the others, "Chen and Junha can go get the rest of his stuff. Tao and I are going to make sure Harry took all his junk with him."
Those two didn't argue and with that they left... Leaving me alone with the detail demanding JaeNi. She closed the door and turned to me, pounding on my shoulders and back, "What the hell Tao?!"
"Ow! JaeNi, that's starting to hurt!" I tried to stop my laughter from her playful anger. I had luckily known her enough to know that hits were affection. If she slapped someone -Junha for example- on the mouth, it meant 'You're embarrassing yourself, shut up'. Her hitting me like this meant she was excited. 
She stopped and turned around, moving her hands through her black hair. She turned back to me with a grin, "I've got it!"
"Got what?"
She leaned forward, "You did it 'cause he's Kris's best friend!" She clapped as I felt my face heat up. She took the boxes from the counter and carried them to Chen's new room. She grinned at me, "I'm telling."
I felt my jaw drop. "You wouldn't."
Her grin darkened as she reappeared from Chen's room. "Just watch me." With that she darted towards the door.
I grabbed the long wooden staff I had for training and met her by the door. Smart girl she was, she ducked upon seeing it flying at a level near her head. It effectively slammed into the door, closing it back. JaeNi rolled back and straitened herself. 
She carefully took a few slow steps back. "There are other ways out you know." She announced calmly. 
I was worried now. The only other way out was the windows and we were on the third floor. She wouldn't try to jump to ground level from there, would she?
JaeNi, as if answering my question, moved over to the window and unlocked it. I ran at her in an attempt to stop her, but fell directly into her trap. She pushed me, causing me to double over the window edge, and ran back towards the door.
She flung it open and was running at top speed like a demon was chasing her. I could feel the heat in my face as I trailed her. "JaeNi!" 
I was so caught up in apprehending my friend, that I was unaware of the hall's other occupants. By the time I noticed them, it was entirely too late -same for JaeNi.
We crashed into two out of three people and the four of us were sent to the ground. I felt something fall on my arm as I attempted to raise myself off the person I was half lying on. "I'm very sorry! I-" I looked down to see a very shocked face. His eyes were locked on mine as I tried to pull myself up, "Forgive me, Kris." I mumbled.
 
Kris POV
A few minutes before:
After I had gotten back from the book store, I texted Chen to see where he was at.  He replied that he was in his old room grabbing boxes. I headed there to find Junha and Chen coming out of his dorm. Chen had three boxes and Junha had two boxes and three bags. She seemed like she couldn’t really see over them so I grabbed the boxes. She shrieked before she noticed it was me.
“Gege!!” she replied with a grin. I smiled in return. “Where have you been Kris?” Chen asked. I jiggled my arm, drawing attention to the plastic bag there, “The bookstore. So where are we headed to?”  Junha tapped her chin and looked at Chen, “Do you remember the room number?” Chen shook his head, “How are we going to get back then?” Junha smiled and giggled, “I know the way, I just never bothered memorizing the room number. Follow me boys!” Junha began walking off, Chen and I following. 
Junha stopped in front of a door and suddenly I was knocked down. A weight landed on me as the boxes landed somewhere to the left. I heard Junha gasp as the person on top of me tried to get up. I recognized the voice that spoke, “I’m very sorry! I-” I was a bit shocked that this was who Chen was moving in with. He tried to pull himself up and mumbled, “Forgive me, Kris.”
He finally pulled himself off of me with the help of JaeNi, “Sorry guys. We were playing around.” I sat up as Junha stood and dusted herself off. “It’s fine. It’s not like Chen had anything that could break, right?” Junha commented, turning to Chen. He shook his head as he picked up the fallen boxes and stacked them on top of the ones he had sat down. Junha and the quiet guy helped me gather the books that had fallen out of my bag. The quiet guy handed me one of the books, “A Western Cookbook? Sounds delicious!” I took the book from him and put it in my bag, “It’s for a friend.” JaeNi smirked, “Yeah a certain crazy person huh?” Kris nodded and stood up straight. 
I remember seeing the book at the store and thinking of Junha. Her birthday was coming up and I hadn’t thought of anything to get her at the time. I knew she loved to cook and she had been trying her hand at cuisine from other cultural here lately, and knew she would love the book. She could also have her friend try it and judge the taste and all.
I stood up and helped Chen move the boxes into his new room. After a few more trips we were finished. I was sitting the last box down on the floor when Junha came in. “Tao is so nice to let Chen stay here. You know this is the first time Tao has had a roommate, well that he hasn’t wanted me to scare off. And this beats rooming with Lay,” she rambled. “So the stuck up guy’s name is Tao?” I questioned and Junha nodded in response. We walked to the living room, where everyone else was. Junha looked at her phone, “JaeNi we have to go.” I noticed JaeNi looking at her crazily, “Wae?” Junha shook her head, “Did you forget that you have dance practice with Zelo and I have to go study with Takuya.” JaeNi face palmed, “Crap I did forget. Catch you later Oppa!” Junha waved as JaeNi headed to the door. “Bye Chen, Tao, Gege!” she called as the both left.
I turned to Chen, “Is that everything?” He nodded, “I believe so. Thanks for the help Kris.” I nodded to him and began walking to the door. I stopped short and turned back around only to find Chen had left. Tao was sitting on the arm of the couch staring at me. I rubbed the back of my neck, knowing I should thank him but kind of not wanting to. I sighed and looked at him, “Thanks…for this. It really means a lot to Chen.” He just smiled and nodded, “No problem. Even I wouldn’t want to room with Lay and Kyungsoo.” I gaped, “You actually spoke to me!” I saw his cheeks turn a pale pink. I smirked a bit, thinking how different he looked when he actually conveyed emotion. "Let me know if there is a way I can repay you," I stated without really thinking. It was his turn to smirk, "You can start by apologizing for every time you've insulted me!" 
"I'm sorry for insulting you Tao!" I apologized quizzically glancing at him. "No," he shook his head, "I mean an apology per insult!" I could tell my eyes were wide as saucers, "But I don't know how many times that is!" Suddenly JaeNi walked back in, "126," Tao answered watching JaeNi grab her jacket off the couch.
 
Tao's POV
I watched Kris's eyes go even wider, which I didn't know was even possible, as I pretended to watch JaeNi. She gave me a questioning look as I tossed the number out into the room. "You can start tomorrow. You seem a bit tired and shocked at the moment," I replied as I guided him to the door.
As soon as the door closed JaeNi spoke up, "Did you really keep count of how many times he insulted you? Is that even the right number?" I shook my head, "It was only 25, but I feel like I deserve the extra, plus it means he has to talk to me more." I let a sly grin grace my lips. JaeNi just shook her head, "Anyway, bye Gege!" I waved as she walked out the door.
 
 
So, how is it so far? Remember to leave comments and subscribe! If we reach a good amount of either, next week will have a double update :)! We hope you're excited and keep reading!!!